Page 1 of 354 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Well....I know how sad this is, and I know its early but but very soon they will be tearing down the catherdal, the House that Ruth built........Im not sure how they will go about doing it..if its going to be a slow, very PAINFUL process that will take a month or more, or if it will be a quick death, but either way, its gonna be a bad, bad time...Yes, we can say its not the 'same place" as the Original Yankee Stadium (I spent alot of time in the pre 1976 Yankee Stadium) but no matter what, this place is still...YANKEE STADIUM......
    Any thoughts on the dreaded day, and how they will do it?

Since implosions are illegal in New York, a wrecking ball seems to be how she will come down. Soon we will have pictures of a wrecking ball slaming into probably the three most famous ballparks in the world: Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, and Yankee Stadium.

Blog Entries
    I was reading somewhere over the winter that a wrecking ball will not be used or that effective either.

Basically both stadiums are going to come down piece by piece. You're talking about dozens and dozens of Acetylene cutting units, grapplers, and other heavy equipment dismantling both stadiums piece by piece and the carting off of hundreds of tons of concrete and steel.

I'm sure the reason for them taking the place down piece by piece is probably because there is a load of asbestos that needs to be contained and removed. I'm sure that process will take a decent amount of time.

I remember Shea going up and now I'll see it come down. As much as I'm going to miss it, Yankee Stadium must come down too.
    I hope to enjoy sitting in both new parks in my hometown and watching some baseball!

Dismantling the ballparks piecemeal will also enable crews to remove the seats in an orderly manner and make sure every little bit that can be sold will be put aside.

I'm sure even the concrete can be pulverized into powder form and sold in some form. They already make medallions with ballpark dirt, so why not concrete from otherwise demolished stadia?
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

When Busch Stadium was demolished, they used a wrecking ball. Of course it was constructed differently than Yankee Stadium and was a more modern construction. On the site they had these huge pieces of machinery that crushed the concrete and shook loose the rebar. Then big magnets picked up and sorted the rebar by size and place them in trucks where they were sent to a steel recycling plant in St.Louis. Much of the concrete was crushed on site and used for fill. It only took 1 month to take the park down. Of course, they were working almost around the clock because they needed to get it down to finish off the new park.

It is going to be very dramatic to see pictures of half of Yankee Stadium standing, and the other half either gone, or crushed rubble on the ground.

I wonder what processes they have to go through before they can begin the demolition. Do they have to remove all of the electrical wire first? I'm sure they have to make sure that all power sources leading into the stadium are shut off, so that the place doesn't catch on fire as it's being torn down. And what about things like lamps hanging from the ceiling? Do they have to remove all of those first? Will they remove all glass windows first? I'm sure that they don't feel like dealing with scooping up broken glass in the rubble. Finally, how do they demolish the stadium so that it's safe, and none of the workers get hurt or killed? You're talking about huge, heavy pieces of concrete and steel crashing to the ground. They have to make it fall in the right direction.

It's little things like this that make me interested.
    Last edited by curb my enthusiasm; 06-10-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm neither a demolition expert nor a construction expert either, but from what I have seen before anything is demolished whether it be by controlled implosion or wrecking ball, most of your wiring and plumbing, conduits, HVAC vents are all removed. Especially stuff like copper and other metals that can be in scrap demand. The only thing thats going to exist in the stadiums prior to demolition is the structure itself will be for the most part the concrete and the steel. This all makes it easier for scrap sorting, safer on the units doing the demolition, and the clean up process much easier.

When I watched Busch come down, they left the light standards with the lights attached to the roof, all the glass in the windows were left, as well as light fixtures in the concourses and the lights on the outside of the park, attached to the stadium. I remember one of the days I was down there seeing a huge section of the stadium collapsing and watching the lights come crashing down and hearing the noise it made. Also watching as a section of the stadium club windows blew out and carpeting flying out the window. It was sad for me, but also like a car wreck, you just couldn't help but look They also left the scoreboard, the video board, and the auxilliary boards on the baselines and behind the plate to be demolished with the stadium.

I'd love to know where that scoreboard will wind up. Either in Hank's basement or auctioned off at Sotheby's for more than the GNP of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
    I'd love to know where that scoreboard will wind up. Either in Hank's basement or auctioned off at Sotheby's for more than the GNP of India.
    Wow, that is one expensive scoreboard. According to cia.gov, the GDP of India is $4.156 trillion.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneslatts View Post
    Well....I know how sad this is, and I know its early but but very soon they will be tearing down the catherdal, the House that Ruth built........Im not sure how they will go about doing it..if its going to be a slow, very PAINFUL process that will take a month or more, or if it will be a quick death, but either way, its gonna be a bad, bad time...Yes, we can say its not the 'same place" as the Original Yankee Stadium (I spent alot of time in the pre 1976 Yankee Stadium) but no matter what, this place is still...YANKEE STADIUM......
    I bet they will sell off every rivet thats holding the place

Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT
    I wonder if the wrecking ball that demolished Ebbets Field and the Polo Grounds (IIRC, they used the same wrecking ball) is still in existence. Even if they aren't taking it down via wrecking ball, it would be pretty cool to see that wrecking ball take just one swipe at Yankee Stadium, either to formally start or end the demolition.

That said, I'm dreading the day demolition starts.

You have much better days to dread in life my friend, like tax day and the day you die. That's the way I'm looking at it to deal with the pain

New York has demolished more baseball history than most cities will ever know.

Since the Sox insist the Yankees are the Evil Empire, I wonder if YS has a weak spot like the Death Star? One little shot in the right place and the whole thing evaporates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
    Since the Sox insist the Yankees are the Evil Empire, I wonder if YS has a weak spot like the Death Star? One little shot in the right place and the whole thing evaporates.
    You could probably start with those tension cables holding the upper tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
    You could probably start with those tension cables holding the upper tank.
    I would think a small explosive charge at the connection to each of those cables would do the trick. The entire upper deck and roof would probably come crashing down.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneslatts View Post
    what do you mean it's not the "same place" as the original stadium? Do you mean the new stadium, or the current stadium? Cause last I heard, the current stadium IS the original stadium, it just got a facelift in the 70's.

anyway, I really hope they start taking the stadium apart as soon as everyone is out of the stadium after the last game, whether it be the last regular season game, or they make the playoffs. I want them to do it that way, because a whole bulk of the stadium will be gone by opening day next year, and it won't be as heartbreaking to see.

OK, I have posted this over in the New YS construction thread, but no one commented on it. I am persistent.

I have always been puzzled by the apparent lack of passion about preserving the original YS. As much as I am fond of Shea, as a Met fan, I understand the ambivalence about Shea. But YS? I was wandering around the thread about Tiger Stadium's ultimate fate, and was struck again by the sad idea that YS is going to really be torn down.

That really hasn't sunk in yet, I guess. I took part in some give and take about the landmarking issue, so I get that problem. And I've heard about the community wanting parkland back, but that can be overcome. (Organized Yankee fans can shout down a public hearing!)

What about this? What about de-renovating the original YS for awhile before it is finally torn town? Take off those last ten rows of the upper deck and open up the original catwalk openings. Take the mid 70's scoreboard wall down in the outfield. You could get Christo (the artist who draped Central Park in saffron fabric) to construct a temporary canvas that approximates the frieze and the roof, and the upper outside facade. This is very feasible, since it is only a temporary "last gasp" artistic expression.

Or, if we get crazy, de-renovate the place properly, and restore it to its original appearance for use as the ultimate Yankee Museum. Maintenance would be very expensive, so have the Yankees help set up seed money for a non-profit foundation for the purpose of raising enough capital to have it become self-sufficient. Corporate money would come, as would private donations. Look at Colonial Williamsburg; this is how they raise funds. Within three to five years, the place could be almost back to its original state, and could then house exhibits, restaurants, cater special events, host HS and college games, corporate batting practice events, fantasy leagues, community events, and even those special Ranger hockey games I keep seeing suggested.

They are going to tear it down. Until it is ACTUALLY torn down and gone, anything is possible. Anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    OK, I have posted this over in the New YS construction thread, but no one commented on it. I am persistent.

I have always been puzzled by the apparent lack of passion about preserving the original YS. As much as I am fond of Shea, as a Met fan, I understand the ambivalence about Shea. But YS? I was wandering around the thread about Tiger Stadium's ultimate fate, and was struck again by the sad idea that YS is going to really be torn down.

That really hasn't sunk in yet, I guess. I took part in some give and take about the landmarking issue, so I get that problem. And I've heard about the community wanting parkland back, but that can be overcome. (Organized Yankee fans can shout down a public hearing!)

What about this? What about de-renovating the original YS for awhile before it is finally torn town? Take off those last ten rows of the upper deck and open up the original catwalk openings. Take the mid 70's scoreboard wall down in the outfield. You could get Christo (the artist who draped Central Park in saffron fabric) to construct a temporary canvas that approximates the frieze and the roof, and the upper outside facade. This is very feasible, since it is only a temporary "last gasp" artistic expression.

Or, if we get crazy, de-renovate the place properly, and restore it to its original appearance for use as the ultimate Yankee Museum. Maintenance would be very expensive, so have the Yankees help set up seed money for a non-profit foundation for the purpose of raising enough capital to have it become self-sufficient. Corporate money would come, as would private donations. Look at Colonial Williamsburg; this is how they raise funds. Within three to five years, the place could be almost back to its original state, and could then house exhibits, restaurants, cater special events, host HS and college games, corporate batting practice events, fantasy leagues, community events, and even those special Ranger hockey games I keep seeing suggested.

They are going to tear it down. Until it is ACTUALLY torn down and gone, anything is possible. Anything.
    Part of the preservation problem is the Yankees (read: the Steinbrenner family) want the House that Ruth Built gone - no matter what nice things they say about the place now. They have never liked Ruppert's stadium and they want no competition to their own legacy.

That being said, I bet Steinbrenner & Co. thought there would be a major outpouring of opposition from Yankee fans, and if they knew that there would be this collective yawn they would have built a new place years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
    Part of the preservation problem is the Yankees (read: the Steinbrenner family) want the House that Ruth Built gone - no matter what nice things they say about the place now. They have never liked Ruppert's stadium and they want no competition to their own legacy.

That being said, I bet Steinbrenner & Co. thought there would be a major outpouring of opposition from Yankee fans, and if they knew that there would be this collective yawn they would have built a new place years ago.
    "The collective yawn" is a perfect phrase. As loud as Yankee fans can be, I am stunned by the apathy. I still think it gets ugly late. As in; the day demolition is slated to begin, people wake up and near riot. I cannot believe YS will go down easily.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post

Oh. And before I turn in for the night, the Yankees DON'T OWN Yankee Stadium. NYC owns YS. The Steinbrenners might want it gone, but the City can do what it wants with it, ultimately. What are the Yankees going to do now that they've built a new place? Move?

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    Oh. And before I turn in for the night, the Yankees DON'T OWN Yankee Stadium. NYC owns YS. The Steinbrenners might want it gone, but the City can do what it wants with it, ultimately. What are the Yankees going to do now that they've built a new place? Move?
    If you've paid any attention to the plan for the site you'd know that the residents of the South Bronx lost 10 acres of park land to build the new Stadium and it will be restored to them by demolishing the old one. It's coming down, as soon as is possible (and that would look to be September 22nd the way the Yankees are playing). Now if you'd like to be on YouTube you could try throwing yourself in front of a bulldozer or two, but I don't think you're gonna have a lot of company.

Page 1 of 354 1231151101 ... LastLast