Page 299 of 354 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349 ... LastLast
Results 7,451 to 7,475 of 8832

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

That sucks that they have people stationed in every section to tell you to go away if you don't have tickets in that section at NYS. I was sort of hoping I would be able to take photo's from the outfield looking into home plate when I go in June. Think they'll allow me to do that or will the Yankee police tell me to, " Move along. These are not the photo's you want to take".

All those poor ghosts, huddled in the right field extension... No where left to go... I hear their screams. Their confused shrieking. Their cries for justice. Did Billy Martin just fart?

All will die within days. Maybe hours.

Why did NYC and the Yankees decide to kill our great Yankee ghosts? Who does this?

This is how curses start.

God help the poor defenseless ghosts and God help their murderers.
    Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Thanks to Gary Dunaier for his thoughtful explanation of his feelings about this melancholy historical event, adding to his already-superb photographic expressions. I thought that view of NYS with the fallen wall of OYS (one of the original 1923 parts of the structure) was a classic for the ages, and soon all traces of the latter will be gone. I made my final pilgrimage to Yankee Stadium in October 2008, fortunate to take a tour inside, and I'm very grateful to Gary and all those others who have shared their photographs and anecdotes of the final months and days for the benefit of fans who live in other parts of the country.

As for NYS, it has some good points, but as Gary says, the sky-high prices for box seats is an outrage -- especially in the context of the current economic situation. I wish they had found some way to "re-renovate" RYS, and I'm mad that they couldn't at least preserve part of the original structure, but I'll get over it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxlugar View Post
    Why did NYC and the Yankees decide to kill our great Yankee ghosts? Who does this?

don't take it so personally, it's only business... "...the business of america is business (until recently)...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    don't take it so personally, it's only business... "...the business of america is business (until recently)...
    All you have to do is follow the $$$$. It's all about $$$$, people, why can't you just realize it and get over it already. All those feelings and memories you think you have? Nope, not real. It's all about $$$$ and business, and absolutely nothing else. Just follow the $$$$, and that's it. Don't try to think of baseball as anything else but $$$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    That sucks that they have people stationed in every section to tell you to go away if you don't have tickets in that section at NYS. I was sort of hoping I would be able to take photo's from the outfield looking into home plate when I go in June. Think they'll allow me to do that or will the Yankee police tell me to, " Move along. These are not the photo's you want to take".
    Outfield photos won't be a problem. The Bleachers Cafe, which is essentially a standing room area atop the roof of the Mohegan Sun sports bar, is open to all. Your only concerns out there will be, if you're looking to get a photo from a specific spot - say, dead center - you might find someone already standing there, or maybe the whole area could be crowded when you get there and you might not be able to get up to the front for a decent picture.
    X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

The new Yankee Stadium looks great. Going to look even better when the park is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Bombay View Post
    The new Yankee Stadium looks great. Going to look even better when the park is finished.
    It sure does.

....aaaaannnnddddd the obligatory RYS Gate 4 photo at the end
    Last edited by RationalNYYfan; 04-26-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: i spelled gate wrong.

and a very powerful tool. It's no more predictable than the reactions of the same tired 4-5 people who keep jumping at the opportunity to say how "ugly" NYS is (including some of our favorite Mets fans). Is this a NYS thread and are those comments more welcome to you?

By the way, Gary, that was a very fair and objective assessment without going over the top regarding NYS. One minor correction though. The Grandstand is the one place that you can roam around freely and enter/sit anywhere you want, providing seats are available. The guards are "guarding" the Terrace seats. In other words, you can go "up" toward the Grandstand, without your tickets being checked, but not down, toward the Terrace seats.

And you can call it Fake Yankee Stadium and get a chuckle out of me because you do it in good humor without malicious intent, plus you don't have an envious bone in your body.

Have no fear. You can take as many photos as you want from the OF looking into home plate, providing you can squeeze your way to the front and get a good shot in. I've taken many photos from that angle. Just be a little aggressive to get to the point you want to take the photo. It shouldn't be difficult; most people won't will blink an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob R View Post
    (including some of our favorite Mets fans).
    Why they must be talking about me ! .....only 20 days until Bat day and cafe seats in 121 B.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    Why they must be talking about me ! .....only 20 days until Bat day and cafe seats in 121 B.
    You're literally a favorite! You've been fair and objective from day 1.

You have to let is know how you like those seats. I've sat in similar type seats and they are generally comfortable and those seem contoured to the fanny. Plus, with those holes, they must stay cooler than the regular seats. I also like that you can place your food and drink right in front of you. But, we won't know for sure how good they are till we get your report.

Mets fan here, but I live 3 stops past Yankee Stadium and passing by on the 4 train to and from work everyday and seeing the demise of the house that Ruth built is a very sad sight to see. Wish they could have done this faster....It almost seems like they want to torture Yankee fans with a slow death.
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

Brooklyn (N.L.)
    1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryField View Post
    Mets fan here, but I live 3 stops past Yankee Stadium and passing by on the 4 train to and from work everyday and seeing the demise of the house that Ruth built is a very sad sight to see. Wish they could have done this faster....It almost seems like they want to torture Yankee fans with a slow death.
    From the time the starting pulling down the upper deck, id say they got it down pretty fast for the most part. Before that they took their time gutting it and taking what they wanted to keep

All those poor ghosts, huddled in the right field extension... No where left to go... I hear their screams. Their confused shrieking. Their cries for justice. Did Billy Martin just fart?

All will die within days. Maybe hours.

This is how curses start.

lets just pretend the Yankees didn't just win their 27th championship in the New House. Curse? what curse?

It sure does.

I love this shot...

Quote Originally Posted by locke40 View Post
    All you have to do is follow the $$$$. It's all about $$$$, people, why can't you just realize it and get over it already. All those feelings and memories you think you have? Nope, not real. It's all about $$$$ and business, and absolutely nothing else. Just follow the $$$$, and that's it. Don't try to think of baseball as anything else but $$$$$.
    ...and that'$ the way it i$...

The Grandstand is the one place that you can roam around freely and enter/sit anywhere you want, providing seats are available. The guards are "guarding" the Terrace seats. In other words, you can go "up" toward the Grandstand, without your tickets being checked, but not down, toward the Terrace seats.
    I've seen "staff" at the top of the stairs to the Grandstand sections. They're not at every portal, but I have seen them. Maybe they softened up as the season progressed, and I don't know if they're there this year, but, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have seen them.
    X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

(Photo taken March 6, 2010. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    Why is anything considered old obsolete? European countries treasure their history. It's amazing nobody turned Gettysburg into a housing development by now. Young people today totally live in the now and have no regard for history..and to me thats tragic.

You know, awhile back i bought from Steiner a piece of sod & freeze-dried grass from the stadium, and its in a case and looks nice, but I thought it might be a bit jerky. However, now that i am seeing the whole place disappear, i sit here as i type this and look at that sod/grass piece, and it takes on more and more meaning as each day goes by.

Now i am tempted to buy one of the foul pole pieces that Steiner is selling. I grew up going there to watch Mantle roam that outfield, and this is really bugging me. All the people involved with the decision to not save parts of this stadium for the new park should have their houses torn down and all their family heirlooms in it burned up and see how they like it.
    I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    I've seen "staff" at the top of the stairs to the Grandstand sections. They're not at every portal, but I have seen them. Maybe they softened up as the season progressed, and I don't know if they're there this year, but, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have seen them.
    Oh, I've seen them as well, but for the most part they are either ornamental or just very lax. Maybe I'm wrong, but I rarely, if ever see them asking to see tickets and for the most part seem to be there to help fans to their seats. I think it's because you can't get any cheaper seats (other than the bleachers) than the grandstand, so why would anyone want to sneak up there? But they do check to see if you belong in the Terrace, probably to prevent fans with lesser seats from sneaking in there.

That's been my experience the few times I've been up there. I certainly don't doubt your experiences up there, given your keen eye.

Quote Originally Posted by donut726 View Post
    lets just pretend the Yankees didn't just win their 27th championship in the New House. Curse? what curse?
    Real Yankee Stadium was still standing. The ghosts could commute to work. They will not live in the new stadium. The curse starts now. Now that the heartless powers that be saw fit to destroy the crown jewel of baseball, and all of sports really, the curse shall begin.

And so it was written.
    Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Real Yankee Stadium was still standing. The ghosts could commute to work. They will not live in the new stadium. The curse starts now. Now that the heartless powers that be saw fit to destroy the crown jewel of baseball, and all of sports really, the curse shall begin.

And so it was written.
    Honestly, the Ghost of Babe Ruth has been eating the garlic fries and drinking beer at NYS for over a year now, and the ghost of DiMaggio is enjoying the company of the ghost of Marilyn in the upper suites of the Waldorf where they used to live. The ghost of Mick is tending bar and holding court at his restaurant, the ghost of Scooter is home with his wife Cora enjoying some of her famous meals, and the ghost of Billy Martin is punching itinerant marshmallow salesmen.

Page 299 of 354 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349 ... LastLast