X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnCropp
    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    *sigh* Looks like it's up to me to come to the rescue... once again...
    "Too cold," they said.

"Too far," they said.

Comment

• Perseus71
      • Dec 2007

Thanks Gary! It's always appreciated.

Comment

• NYaDiO
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
        *sigh* Looks like it's up to me to come to the rescue... once again...

There's more on Flickr, just click here.

Ya know, it's funny... even though I'm a Met fan, I seem to have made an impact among you Yankee fans, not just here at the Baseball Fever but in the very Yankee Stadium neighborhood itself...

You beat me to the punch Gary I was planning on heading out there today after this stupid FedEx man delivered my new cellphone. Question now so they're tearing that section down, if they were to save Gate 2 wouldn't they have to reconstruct that side thats getting taken down? Because if I'm not mistaken that escalator pod connects to Gate 2 thats allows people to pass through it.

Comment

• JoeDOYS
          • Jun 2009

excellent work as usual Gary.
          www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Maxlugar
            • Apr 2009

You would think it would be so much easier do continue with this demolition without the outfield wall and bleachers. The only reason it's up has to be to keep photographers from seeing inside. Which leads me to believe someone has exclusive rights to these pics. Gotta be a book or dvd being made.
            Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• StadiumGraveyard
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
              You would think it would be so much easier do continue with this demolition without the outfield wall and bleachers. The only reason it's up has to be to keep photographers from seeing inside. Which leads me to believe someone has exclusive rights to these pics. Gotta be a book or dvd being made.
              no other reason? its a natural wall thats containing dust etc, in the site proper, rather than interfering with the subway/neighboorhood. What reason would they have for actually taking it down ahead of the other pieces? Its not like they can't get the heavy cranes in. Much easier to control who's entering the site with a 40 foot wall thats already in place.

Comment

• stadiumbuilder
                • Feb 2008

I think it was this thread that it was mentioned months ago that National Geographic or somebody was making a documentary of the destruction of Yankee Stadium, so there are financial interests involved in this process.

Comment

• Gary Dunaier
                  Thumbs Down Guy/Moderator
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
                  I think it was this thread that it was mentioned months ago that National Geographic or somebody was making a documentary of the destruction of Yankee Stadium, so there are financial interests involved in this process.
                  My time is limited right now so I can't do as extensive a search as I'd like, but here's what I've found so far in this thread:

Originally posted by Astros, 05-28-2009, 07:48 PM: I thought I had heard there was a film crew documenting the demolition much like they did when the Orange Bowl was brought down. I cannot remember if it was the History Channel, National Geographic, TLC, Discovery or one of those other type of networks.

Originally posted by YanksRule, 05-29-2009, 12:16 AM: I heard that from the guy leading the demolition- he was around the entrance of the demo gates and held a mini "press-conference" for the fans one day back in April.. I hope he's right.. of the other things he told me he's been spot on, so I believe him.

Originally posted by The Monument, 05-28-2009, 09:40 PM: Somebody mentioned Nat Geo doing a project. May have been on this thread. I'm just glad that somebody is doing it, and The Geographic does everything first rate.
                  My GIF has been viewed more than 377 million times!
                  https://giphy.com/gifs/mlb-yankees-t...wH6yMO7ED5xc7S

Comment

• JoeDOYS
                    • Jun 2009

Exclusive rights to a building being demolished? Anyone can go down there and take pictures and publish them in a book. The only difference up to this point is there there would be pictures of the inside being demolished and asbestos removal.

Once the real demo starts, especially now that the '10 season is quickly approaching there will be TONS of pictures showing Yankee Stadium reduced to rubble. Sit tight.

Comment

• Maxlugar
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by StadiumGraveyard View Post
                      no other reason? its a natural wall thats containing dust etc, in the site proper, rather than interfering with the subway/neighboorhood. What reason would they have for actually taking it down ahead of the other pieces? Its not like they can't get the heavy cranes in. Much easier to control who's entering the site with a 40 foot wall thats already in place.
                      I would think the wooden wall surrounding the stadium would be enough to keep people phsically out. The pics of them chipping away at the left field pod in such tight confines seem to me to be a little harder than doing that kind of work without the outfield wall there. The meticulous progress seems to say there is a lot of documentation going on that perhaps they want to keep to themselves. There's no gigantic amount of dust wafting the subway line's way. I don't think a wall 600 feet away from most of the action is going to keep much dust in anyway.

Comment

• JoeDOYS
                        • Jun 2009

The meticulous progress seems to say there is a lot of documentation going on that perhaps they want to keep to themselves.
                        Probably because a unique demolition like this one has never been attempted before. If this stadium were located anywhere else they would have put the charges on each turnbuckle and pushed the red button many months ago. I need to go through the archives here for quotes but i remember reading from one of the workers at the renovation, i cant remember his username. He was cutting one of the cables or something and there was a crowd of engineers there watching, not knowing what exactly was going to happen.

I think this is so slow going and meticulous because the people in charge dont want a disaster on their hands. Taking apart Yankee Stadium is along the same lines as taking apart a suspension bridge piece by piece, except this bridge is right next to apartment buildings.

Id like to know the total tonnage of the upper deck.

Comment

• Maxlugar
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                          I think this is so slow going and meticulous because the people in charge dont want a disaster on their hands. Taking apart Yankee Stadium is along the same lines as taking apart a suspension bridge piece by piece, except this bridge is right next to apartment buildings.
                          Oh I agree. But they could still be doing their very tricky work without the outfield wall there. I guess we'll know soon enough. Maybe if they are gonna drop the upper deck, they figure the outfield wall would protect against major rubble... Either way, I do hope they are filming every aspect of this for some kind of documentary.

Comment

• RichieA13
                            SHEA STADIUM * 1964-2008
                            • Aug 2006

Oh I agree. But they could still be doing their very tricky work without the outfield wall there. I guess we'll know soon enough. Maybe if they are gonna drop the upper deck, they figure the outfield wall would protect against major rubble... Either way, I do hope they are filming every aspect of this for some kind of documentary.
                            The OF/bleacher walls serve the same purpose as the black screens they installed around the perimeter of the Stadium (if not better!). I would hazzard a guess that they will be some of the final parts of the Stadium to be razed for just that reason. They will help to contain the dust & debris from drifiting over River Avenue & beyond. Besides, they will probably be the EASIEST part of the structure to demolish, due to the fact that there isn't anything hanging over them, nor any offices or other structures contained in them that look to be very difficult to demolish. Then again, I do not work in the demolition field, so that's just the opinion of someone who doesn't do this for a living.
                            ------------------------------------------
                            www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                            www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                            www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• Mattingly85MVP
                              • Sep 2006

new pics of the stadium demo on wcbs880.com, nothing different from Gary's update, just over head shots of the Gate 2 escalator tower coming down

sigpic

Comment

• ChineseDemocracy
                                Better
                                • Oct 2008

We can see through to the UP concourse and the mechanical level.

Also, there is some damage to one of the rectangular windows on Gate 2.
                                No one can make you
                                Do what they want to
                                You know you're stronger
                                Than the lies
                                That they tell you

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X