Page 188 of 442 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238288 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,760 of 8837

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

  1. #3741
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastermind View Post
    if the old stadium was about the concrete than fine
    but the bleachers being on the field and the size of them, the demensions,the sounds, the upper deck not as steep, the smells, the freize, the scoreboard, the feel and old charms of the original was long gone
    The upperdeck was the exact same angle - they added to the back of it....Yanks did gradually cut down the dimensions....
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  2. #3742
    Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post

    Old stadiums dont last forever, keep that in mind too.
    Yeah?







    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

  3. #3743
    Quote Originally Posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
    Yeah?








  4. #3744
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Section 538, Row 1
    Posts
    7,748
    Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    Old stadiums dont last forever, keep that in mind too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
    Yeah?
    You forgot this place...



    waitaminnit...



    Never mind.
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

  5. #3745
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    183
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    The upperdeck was the exact same angle - they added to the back of it....Yanks did gradually cut down the dimensions....
    Ill be honest I wasnt sure- but when I was going to the old stadium (ages 7-14) I remember holding on to the railing for dear like thinking it was steep

  6. #3746
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    183
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    You forgot this place...



    waitaminnit...



    Never mind.
    it actually looks better in the bottom shot

  7. #3747
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Citi Field Sec 15/11, 326/2
    Posts
    2,600
    Quote Originally Posted by mets16 View Post
    One thing I will always remember about the Shea demo was driving home from family in Queens last Thanksgiving seeing the "TADIUM" standing. That is when it really drove home what was happening
    Yes, I remember that. It was like that for months actually, and my kids would comment on it as we drove by. I posited that some bar somewhere named "Shea's" bought the "SHEA S" letters in one go, thus leaving TADIUM.

  8. #3748
    Sadly, it's the one thing the Red Sox will now always have over the Yankees - authenticity.

    (They also share the same hometown as a certain stadium-demolishing, history-hating, anti-preservationist Mayor of NYC - hmmmmm....makes me wonder).
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  9. #3749
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Sadly, it's the one thing the Red Sox will now always have over the Yankees - authenticity.

    (They also share the same hometown as a certain stadium-demolishing, history-hating, anti-preservationist Mayor of NYC - hmmmmm....makes me wonder).
    the problem is that there is no where in boston to build a new park. i think they totally would, there is just no place to put it.

  10. #3750
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    183
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Sadly, it's the one thing the Red Sox will now always have over the Yankees - authenticity.

    (They also share the same hometown as a certain stadium-demolishing, history-hating, anti-preservationist Mayor of NYC - hmmmmm....makes me wonder).
    Believe me I love baseball tradition- but the old yankee stadium and new yankee stadium are much nicer than that rundown dump- and as was said above- find the red sox a place for a new stadium and fenway would be blown to pieces- and after we win it all next year - the new stadium will have the same amount of world series titles as that dump has had in 92 years

  11. #3751
    Quote Originally Posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
    Yeah?







    What a incredibly ridiculous post. None of these stadiums (lol@Coliseum) hosts 81 games per year. None of them have to worry about fan attendance all year long. Its few games/races and they are done.

  12. #3752
    Quote Originally Posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post

    I've heard throwing Christians to the lions is coming back!

  13. #3753

  14. #3754
    Thanks Joe, sad pic - but it's now my desktop background

  15. #3755
    Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    I've heard throwing Christians to the lions is coming back!
    They still have events at the Colosseum.

    But they canceled the Christian toss.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

  16. #3756
    Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    What a incredibly ridiculous post. None of these stadiums (lol@Coliseum) hosts 81 games per year. None of them have to worry about fan attendance all year long. Its few games/races and they are done.
    LOL at your continued display of ignorance.
    Last edited by ChineseDemocracy; 12-01-2009 at 06:00 PM.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

  17. #3757
    Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    I cant believe I have to actually type this. These players played for the team, not the stadium. In fact these players technically played half their career (if they were career yankees) AWAY from Yankee Stadium. If you really think about it. Sure a lot of memories were made at old stadium. No one is arguing that, but saying you cant honor your team's legend here because its not the old Yankee Stadium is garbage. Its simple as that. These guys were all Yankees. We are celebrating that, not the fact that they played at the old stadium.
    Try telling that to Dodger fans when in the 1960s they'd trot out guys who never played one game in an LA uniform like Don Newcombe, or those who's best days were in Brooklyn like Pee Wee Reese and Duke Snider.

    1) It'd be hard to sell LA Dodger fans that "Yes, these guys who you either never saw, or saw when they were past their primes are all part of the great Dodger legacy." No, their legacy begins with Koufax, Drysdale, Wills, Osteen, Wes Parker, Roseboro, etc. That is also why, as beloved as Willie Mays is in SF, he really ISN'T as popular as Willie McCovey, who started his career in SF.

    2) You know it must be hard for a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers to keep watching the Newcombes, the Sniders, the Erskines and whomever else is still among the living to still be trotted out by the Dodger organization.

    Now I know it is different going across the street than across the country, but the fact still remains, you are watching older players from your past being trotted out in a place that you never saw them play.

    Alright, here is an example. Say your HS or college for some reason needs to move to a new location for whatever reason. Aren't you going to feel a sense of "This isn't where I belong" walking the new place's halls?

  18. #3758
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    Try telling that to Dodger fans when in the 1960s they'd trot out guys who never played one game in an LA uniform like Don Newcombe, or those who's best days were in Brooklyn like Pee Wee Reese and Duke Snider.

    1) It'd be hard to sell LA Dodger fans that "Yes, these guys who you either never saw, or saw when they were past their primes are all part of the great Dodger legacy." No, their legacy begins with Koufax, Drysdale, Wills, Osteen, Wes Parker, Roseboro, etc. That is also why, as beloved as Willie Mays is in SF, he really ISN'T as popular as Willie McCovey, who started his career in SF.

    2) You know it must be hard for a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers to keep watching the Newcombes, the Sniders, the Erskines and whomever else is still among the living to still be trotted out by the Dodger organization.

    Now I know it is different going across the street than across the country, but the fact still remains, you are watching older players from your past being trotted out in a place that you never saw them play.

    Alright, here is an example. Say your HS or college for some reason needs to move to a new location for whatever reason. Aren't you going to feel a sense of "This isn't where I belong" walking the new place's halls?
    So I shouldn't go to my Dad's for Christmas because he no longer lives in the house where I grew up?

    Time moves on, we make the best of things. Life's way too short to have so many rules.

  19. #3759
    DiggerODell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    You forgot this place...

    Never mind.
    I love this place. On Tuesday, on Wednesday, Thursday . .. Friday, Sat, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, . . . beg pardon, this is the Yankee & Yankee Stadium place . . . I do beg pardon. I beg one thousand in fact. I really love this place.

    I'll miss Yankee Stadium too.

  20. #3760
    Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    So I shouldn't go to my Dad's for Christmas because he no longer lives in the house where I grew up?

    Time moves on, we make the best of things. Life's way too short to have so many rules.
    Geez, I was responding to a guy who responded flippantly to someone's comment about OTD not being the same for him because the players being trotted out never played in YSIII, and probably won't be until about 10-15 years from now when players who played predominantly at YSIII start coming regularly. I'm not suggesting they DON'T go, or fans don't go to the OTD, but I understand the sense of "This isn't right."

Page 188 of 442 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238288 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •