Page 188 of 354 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238288 ... LastLast
Results 4,676 to 4,700 of 8832

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Wow, a lot of speculation and a lot of wishful thinking about Gate 2 lately. I would just like to take a few moments to address some things (along with some shameless advertising of our effort to follow).

First off, we've talked with a source about the demolition--at this time, there is still no planned preservation of Gate 2. The escalator pod is coming down to make room for equipment to get in and out of the Stadium for continuing demolition. As I've stated before, concrete from the Stadium will be crushed on-site to fill the very land it occupied for 88 years, this has already been started (from what I can see in the pictures), but will likely be more intense with the demolition reaching the upper deck and outer walls of the Stadium. With a little luck, Gate 2 will be spared this fate, but we need all the help we can get to have support behind this--more on that later.

Second, I have no idea the significance of the X's that stop just before 161st Street, but I can ask and hopefully shed some light on the situation.

Third, there have been a fair number of people expressing concern of graffiti over the months that we've been pushing for this.

Make no mistake, vandalization can, does and will happen to any and all parts of a public park in a city as large as New York. But a few major things are often overlooked.

Gate 2, preserved as a monument, will a crowning piece of Heritage Field at Macombs Dam Park. This means that Gate 2 will remain (much as it has since the 1970's) the property of the City of New York. Granted, it will no longer have tenants in charge of any upkeep, but rather the City itself would--specifically, the Department of Parks & Recreation.

As such, maintenance of Gate 2 would be no different than Building J along the Harlem River, an old Powerhouse, not more than a mile away from Yankee Stadium, that was remodeled as part of Mill Pond park, which now features small cafes and play areas for children.

While it is obvious that things like graffiti will happen, it's always important to keep in mind that Gate 2 would become a part of the City's monumental treasures, a piece of iconic New York history and crowning point for the three baseball fields sitting where Yankee Stadium stood proud for so many years. Moreover, Gate 2 would be no different than Washington Square's Arc de Triomphe, or the beautiful and unique bridges of Central Park, of which no two are alike--or any of the several other structures of various form that New York's Parks Department is gracious enough to upkeep for millions to see and admire.

Yankee Stadium is such an irreplaceable gem of the City of New York for all its sporting, American, religious and even political history. Would it be fair to say we obliterate it out of fear for a few cans of spray paint? Yankee Stadium has endured graffiti before, just watch the beginning of the old Odd Couple tv show to see what I mean (I'm sure if Gary reads this, he would be kind enough to post Jack Klugmann with the hot dog in his mouth, walking out of the Stadium on a sunny afternoon sometime in the early 70's).

Besides, if we are lucky, someone might just take it upon themselves to illustrate a great mural as a tribute to all the history that took place when Gate 2 was part of something more, something grand.

Maybe something similar to the one painted on the wall adjacent to a small parking lot on 157th Street. One that might not survive the water park that is about to be constructed on that very lot. I'm not positive on that one, so don't quote me on it--but I didn't see the mural on any of the renderings of the water park back when I saw the Parks presentation on the Yankee Stadium neighborhood back in June of '09.

Almost as an afterthought, a small refreshment building with bathrooms is to be installed along what was Ruppert Place (or, since we're talking history, Doughrty Street). What is to become of this building? Should it not be constructed because of the threat of vandals? Just food for thought.

The bottom line is that Gate 2 would serve as such a monument to history of all kinds, that the idea of destruction to prevent something as small as a can of spray paint is an inferior argument. Gate 2's preservation would mean vandalism at some point, but rest assured that the monument would be watched and cared for by an organization dedicated to watching over several other iconic elements of New York's history and culture.

Even the Roman Colosseum has been subject to graffiti over time.

However, it cannot be done without support. Support that needs to come in the form of some sort of activism, whether it be small or great.

The battle for this treasure is not waged on message boards, where the words of several are seldom heard. It is waged in the public eye, in the form of contacting those who are in a position to make a difference and just need to see that this plan would benefit the masses, instead of the small number of people that are constantly vying for their attention to this extremely important matter. It is a battle for history.

I've spent so much time looking into history, reading about it, watching as much as I could. But now, I see a chance for us all to rise to a new level--to live in it, to be a part of it, and to help shape it so that future generations can look back and say that those who cared made sure it was preserved.

But to quote Sean Connery; "What are you prepared to do?"

Remember way back at the beginning of this, I mentioned some shameless advertising?

Right now, if you go to the link below, you will see a Call to Action. A way to help that will take little of your time, but will be a milestone in the fight for Gate 2. All the directions are there, you just need about five minutes (if that) and you're done.

http://savetheyankeegate2.com/action.php

The push for Gate 2 has come a long way from a couple of conference calls with a few forum members. In October, the Design Commission of New York voted to table the Parks Department's proposal until they could come back with something that conveyed the majesty and awe of Yankee Stadium--several mentioning Gate 2 specifically as well as expressing support. This was a huge step, but without the help of many, the hard work of the few will go completely unnoticed.

When the books are written and the documentaries aired about the final chapter of Yankee Stadium, Gate 2 WILL be mentioned, but what is said about it will depend greatly on what you do to help. Moreover than that, when it's said, will you be able to say that you have been a part of it?

I plead with you to please go to our site, take some time there to go over things, check out all of our press releases, which can be found in the More Info section, and reach out to those listed in the link above.

If any of you would prefer speak to myself or committee members specifically, my contact information is below.

Thank you.

--
    Richard Lillard
    savetheyankeegate2 [at] gmail [dot] com
    www.savetheyankeegate2.com
    Last edited by RichardLillard1; 02-05-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Exactly 2 Miles From Babe Ruth's Final Resting Place
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Pinstripes View Post
    because its not going to have the security like nys has. if you look around the immedate suroundings of the area you can see spray paint every where.

Who needs paint? There would probably be a contest in the neighborhood to see who could be the first punk to "tag" via "scratch-fitti"-ing (taking a key or sharp object & carving right into the glass or plexiglass) the windows planned on to cover the rear portion of the gate! Otherwise, breaking or kicking a window out could also be possible. While the rear glass looks really nice & all .... they should probably just leave the gate open all around .... unless they are going to have a guard posted there 24/7 like they have @ Arlington National Cemetery!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------------------------------
    www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
    www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
    www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Was late and driving fast down River Avenue. Did snap this one photo which shows left field elevator bank completely removed,exposing entanceways to levels.

If anyone can get some clear pictures and email them to me, it would be greatly appreciated! This would help our efforts in explaining the return wall, how much is left of it and (if the angles are right) how thick the concrete in that area is.

Please email them to me at the address in my post above!

Thank you!

--
    Richard
    http://savetheyankeegate2.com/action.php
    Last edited by RichardLillard1; 02-05-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
    Gate 2, preserved as a monument, will a crowning piece of Heritage Field at Macombs Dam Park. This means that Gate 2 will remain (much as it has since the 1970's) the property of the City of New York. Granted, it will no longer have tenants in charge of any upkeep, but rather the City itself would--specifically, the Department of Parks & Recreation.
    again, who's gonna pay for this? the taxpayers?

Y'all haven't even saved the gate and you're already worried about graffiti???

As if graffiti hasn't been part of the Yankee heritage for years!!!

That last one may or may not be in relation to the ball club. I haven't decided.
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 02-05-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCropp View Post
    Y'all haven't even saved the gate and you're already worried about graffiti???

As if graffiti hasn't been part of the Yankee heritage for years!!!

Nice find JohnCropp. Can you tell us where this piece is located?

I ask because the faces in pic #1 look pure enough to be Yankee authorized.

If not, that is some sic street art. I love seeing quality graffiti murals.

Screw tagging.

There's nothing to pay ,the wall is already there. It'll free stand like the monument in Prospect Park. Why they dont save part of the right filed bleechers is strange because they'll later put bleachers there and everyone will say why didn't you keep the originals. A portion of the bleechers,gate 2,and a portion of the backstop behind home plate should stay for historic and common sense reasons.

I 'll take photos early this morning of the left field area.

Oh,"clear pictures",...I guess he doesn't mean me. I'll see you Wednesday then.

Bobby Jackson The worlds worst stadium cell phone photographer
    Long live Dave Mlicki

Quote Originally Posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    Can you tell us where this piece is located?
    That's the mural on the wall of the bowling alley on River Avenue. It faces what until recently was the valet parking lot on River Avenue and 157th Street, across from the Gate 6 entry.

(Photo taken July 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    X
    I wonder what it’s like after death. Prob’ly it’s like it is b’fore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? That’s not hard t’understand, but it’s hard for people t’accept. It’s hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. An’ people ain’t too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, “Short Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,” American Splendor #3, 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Pinstripes View Post
    i can almost gaurentee that if gate 2 stands it will become a victem to urban decay. i say tear it all down and put it out of its misery quick and as painless as possible. if the gate dose stand it will become an open canvas for the locals to destory with tag and grafiti. i think the best way to preserve our beloved ballpark is in out memories, how it looked in its glory days. take it all down and prevent it frome being slowly destroyed by vandals.
    Dude this isn't 1977 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    That's the mural on the wall of the bowling alley on River Avenue. It faces what until recently was the valet parking lot on River Avenue and 157th Street, across from the Gate 6 entry.

(Photo taken July 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    Wow. Great shot man, you have a gift for finding the "space" to make something that 99% of people would shoot up close into a "big" shot. Hope you don't mind if I throw that on my desktop.

graffiti never sleeps, no mater what "king" bloomberg says...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    graffiti never sleeps, no mater what "king" bloomberg says...
    Ain't that the truth.

I like my demolition thread with photos. Up bright and early today, bright and early. Let's see what the old right field bullpen knot hole looks like today gang.

And the left field elevator bank demo(Carefully removed I may add):

Going to Unity anyone want coffee?

Bobby Jackson,the worlds worst satdium cell phone photographer
    Long live Dave Mlicki

So is the hole in the middle right "The Door" to the old concourse?
    ------------
    I have been to:

Citi Field, Shea, NYS, RYS, PNC, Fenway, AT&T, CBP, Rangers Ballpark, Minute Maid Park, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, PETCO Park, OP@CY, U.S.F., Comerica, Nationals Park, GABP, Progressive, Trop, Miller, Oakland-A C., Miami, RFK, Olympic Stadium, Metrodome

Coming Soon 2014: Olympic Stadium, Chase Field?

My sources say the outfield area is going to be removed first,much like Shea. Although Citi Field needed the clearance removing the outfield first provided,YS outfield is being removed. Despite the sources,why the scaffolding around an area thats coming down first? If you notice, scaffolding that started around the entire right to left bleechers have been on hold for a while.

This scaffolding is attached,not just placed. Maybe just a city requirement to avoid a fine.

Why not - the taxpayers largely footed the bill for the new stadium?
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by cringey View Post
    So is the hole in the middle right "The Door" to the old concourse?
    Indeed it is... and dig that steelwork peeking through. Hopefully when all that paneling is off some interesting sights will be revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by 410 FT View Post
    410: BF Hero

They are going to have to install sidewalks around Gate 2 and/or Heritage Park, right? What if the City went the "DisneyWorld route" & offered fans a chance to buy a brick engraved with whatever message they want on it (within reason, of course)? I've heard the number $10M kicked around here as what it would cost to save Gate 2, so if they sold & installed 100,00 pavers @ $100.00 a pop (sans the cost of the brick, engraving & installation), you'd have your $10M right there. At $125.00 per brick, you'd only need to sell 80,000 bricks .... at $150.00 per brick, about 67,000, etc. Or you could charge a flat rate of $99.00 per brick, then say $20 extra if you want to add the Yankee "NY" logo, $20.00 extra if you want an extra line of writing, etc.

What would be even cooler would be to preserve the actual footprint of the Stadium with these pavers, sort of like what they did in Atlanta in the parking lot of Turner Field, except instead of preserving Atlanta Fulton County Stadium's diamond in brick (photo below) .... they could preserve Yankee Stadium's footprint. Running rows of bricks around the perimeter of a parkland that are going to be laid out in three baseball fields could be tricky at best & impractical at worst .... but IF there was a way to do it, I think it would be awesome & Gate 2 would have a nice complement! Yankee fans would have a place to meet & gather before games, check out there bricks, take pictures with them, etc. Season ticket holders and/or fans who had seats in a certain section of the old Stadium would probably want their paver to be placed in the area where their seats used to be, etc.

Now .... this is an even LONGER shot, but what if the YANKEES footed the $10M bill & then offered season ticket holders ONE FREE BRICK per season ticket seat that that buy in 2010. If they have two seats & want to have three bricks on the walk, they can pay extra for it. If they want a second (identical paver) that they can keep in their home, they can pay extra for that as well. Same for fans who don't own a season ticket, but want to have a brick on the walkway as well. If they got enough non season ticket holders to buy these bricks, they'd probably even MAKE on the deal, as a brick/paver only costs a buck or two & engraving one can't cost all that much either, especially when you're dealing in thousands of them being done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RichieA13; 02-06-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Old concourse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baseballman1243 View Post
    Old concourse!!!

I THINK we need someone on the subway platform, armed with a good camera lens who can zoom into the old concourse opening? If we only KNEW someone who was talented enough to handle such a task? Someone who's keen eye & ballpark experience would be able to get a good shot looking into that old concourse?

SOUND LIKE A JOB FOR GARY (dum, dum, duuuuuuuum)!
    Last edited by RichieA13; 02-06-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Why not - the taxpayers largely footed the bill for the new stadium?
    why is that right? when schools, roads, sewers, water system, parks, bridges are crumbling under your feet??

the clock is tick, tick, ticking, don't complain when a pothole blows out your tires

I seem to be like the guy who sells knock-off DVD's in the Chinese restaurants. Not good quality but you but 'em anyway.

Page 188 of 354 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238288 ... LastLast