Page 199 of 354 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209249299 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,975 of 8832

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
    The cables are also over the isolated section only - it could be to help hold the trusses in place while they're demolished, with all the pounding and grappling. You're dealing with a handsome amount of cantilever (even by today's standards) and you can never be too careful.
    I agree. This is more likely just to prevent the isolated section from falling forward unexpectedly. Since it is separated from the rest of the upper deck, it is probably much more unstable and more likely to fall forward uncontrolled.

Doctor gogol is correct, those cables are there to pull the structure down onto the field. I was there today and saw it happen. I have it on video which I intend to post here. Also took about 100 photos from a few different vantage points. Wish I had time to post them now, but they won't be up til friday.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

The speakers remain,a portion of the bleacher wall to the right of the speakers has been removed though. Gate Two had more work done and it appears, done carefully.

Why remove scaffolding if the structure is coming down?!

Did they remove more of the left field upper deck today? I live in Manhattan and from my apartment I think I can now see the rightside exterior video screen of NYS.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Well, I'll tell you this - one of the waste removal trucks at the Shea Stadium demolition did have a Yankees logo on it. Not sure if I've got a picture of it but even if I did I can't access Flickr right now, so I can't post it.
    Found the picture! Here it is...

(Photo taken February 18, 2009. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

I would like to thank Mr. Jackson, Monsieur Dunaier, and StadiumPage for their contributions to this thread.

And seriously, why is the scaffolding on the 3rd base side coming down?
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

Interesting stuff, indeed.

The most recent news that we've heard is that the upper deck will be done in alternating sides, working towards the Gate 4 area. I'm curious as to how much of the uppder deck is taken down before they will switch to the opposite side.

Another thing, and perhaps Gary can weigh in on this, but in Bobby's fourth photo, it looks like the water tower is gone! I guess Yankee Stadium isn't the only thing they're removing from the area these days.

Richard
    www.savetheyankeegate2.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiVgnDNCZeM

Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    Doctor gogol is correct, those cables are there to pull the structure down onto the field. I was there today and saw it happen. I have it on video which I intend to post here. Also took about 100 photos from a few different vantage points. Wish I had time to post them now, but they won't be up til friday.
    I'm sorry, but Friday is too long to wait. You need to drop everything else you're doing and post that video right now .

Seriously, that's great that you were there to get it on video. Can't wait to see it.
    First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

First of all who keeps removing my pictures?Those removed were taken from a block away. Anyway,The photo of the water tower base,and in that photo also,the Earl theater marqee skeletal remains(left),was taken because I feel it's a s much a part of the feel of Yankee Stadium as inside. Gehrig's farewell, photos of Mantle at bat,all had these landmarks present to see and incorporated in pictures we remember. The water tower was removed last year but it's base remains. These outside" landmarks" I feel are significant and one day will be the only rememberence of how things were, as we stand in a park called Heritage Field and try to come to terms where everything once was.
    Last edited by 410 FT; 02-23-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 410 FT View Post
    First of all who keeps removing my pictures?Those removed from a block away? Anyway,-The photo of the water tower base,and in that photo also,the Earl theater marqee skeletal remains(left),was taken because I feel it's a s much a part of the feel of Yankee Stadium as inside. Gehrig's farewell,shots of Mantle at bat,all had these landmarks present to see and incorporated in pictures we remember. The water tower was removed last year but it's base remains. These outside" landmarks" I feel are significant and one day will be the only rememberence of how things were, as we stand in a park called Heritage Field and try to come to terms where everything once was.
    Heritage Field sounds like something that ought to be in St. Petersburg, FL - not the Bronx.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by 410 FT View Post
    First of all who keeps removing my pictures?Those removed were taken from a block away. Anyway,The photo of the water tower base,and in that photo also,the Earl theater marqee skeletal remains(left),was taken because I feel it's a s much a part of the feel of Yankee Stadium as inside. Gehrig's farewell, photos of Mantle at bat,all had these landmarks present to see and incorporated in pictures we remember. The water tower was removed last year but it's base remains. These outside" landmarks" I feel are significant and one day will be the only rememberence of how things were, as we stand in a park called Heritage Field and try to come to terms where everything once was.

To me it looks like a Photobucket issue. Maybe someones reporting your images there?
    ------------
    I have been to:

Citi Field, Shea, NYS, RYS, PNC, Fenway, AT&T, CBP, Rangers Ballpark, Minute Maid Park, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, PETCO Park, OP@CY, U.S.F., Comerica, Nationals Park, GABP, Progressive, Trop, Miller, Oakland-A C., Miami, RFK, Olympic Stadium, Metrodome

Coming Soon 2014: Olympic Stadium, Chase Field?

This is insanity. You'd think 410FT was taking pics of the women's dorm at Columbia through a skylight or something. The man is simply capturing an historical event plainly visible on the streets of NY.

One of my hobbies is rail photography (outdoor lines, not subway) and you would not believe the level of harrassment we get from some transit cops and locals over that. We're photographing things that are plainly visible to any passerby, not tresspassing or anything.

Frank,the only problem with people objecting to photography(and only recently has the NYC transit authority made notification that photography is OK on subways) is that -and this is the only reason I believe- that it may show someone not doing their job. One of the photos taken out was of the subway entrance with the speaker tower in the distance. I'm hoping it's me maybe I didn't download it right. But then again it was placed on the forum and visible for a few hours. I don't know.
    In regard to the Stadium demo- It's not that they love the stadium so much but that these photos could possible be used in court to show cause how an injury happened or was inevitable. That's the fear. Imagine a chunk of concrete hits a woman walking on the south side of 161st St and south of Babe Ruth Plaza,alongside the stadium. her lawyers will produce these photos(some with dates and times) in an effort to show how the construction company was liable.
    But on the contrary,these photos show constructions crews in place,fences up,and all reasonable efforts made.

Try using a Flickr site instead. I've never heard of problems like that with Flickr.

I've had many images deleted from Photobucket that I can't figure out why anyone would be offended.

Or better yet, try imgur.com... it is so much easier, faster, and safer than photobucket or even flickr.

DiggerODell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by locke40 View Post
    Or better yet, try imgur.com... it is so much easier, faster, and safer than photobucket or even flickr.
    Wow, I've never used any of the services of these photo joints. I've always uploaded my pictures to BBF one at a time "at Smith-Barney, we do things the old fashioned way, we eeeeeeeearn it" . . .ha! But not that Smith-Barney has gone under, I better consider getting with the times. Thanks locke and the good doc for the heads up. I'll check into both venues. Thanks.

Too bad about 410's photos. They really were a piece of history as seen from a regular fans perspective . . . the last days and doom of an icon of a ballpark. Thats part of the reason I've stuck with my old way of thinking uploading pics on here . . . I despise control or any sort of censorship.

This legalistic bulls#@$ has to stop! It's photos of a building being demolished. The legal crap will slow down our evolution as a species!
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

The whole back wall of the outfield is down,including the center field speakers.From the street it looks like they cut the posts and bent the walls over and down to the warning track and" it appears"left them without removal. Weather is very bad. I will post a few shots in an hour. Anyone early tomorrow may get a shot of the speakers and wall down. again it appears as if they weren't removed.definitely down.

2/23/2010 Bobby Jackson

Wow. It appears as though the left field scoreboard is the only part of the outfield wall that's still standng.

I hope Kaminsky's next batch of aerials includes views looking towards the outfield, so we can see what the place looks like without the wall. So far, this is the only such view I've found, and "just" the three segments on the right (Budweiser, Bank of America, Utz) are gone.

(Uploaded to Flickr.com by user treman262 on 2/19/10; described as having been taken February 18, 2010. Link to original Flickr.com upload: here.)
    X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

Hey 410, were you the guy with the glasses at Babe Ruth Plaza yesterday? Me and my friend Steve were standing there waiting for the gate to open. I saw a guy taking pictures right next to us. Whenever I see someone else there with a camera I'm tempted to ask "Baseball Fever?"
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Wow. It appears as though the left field scoreboard is the only part of the outfield wall that's still standng.

I hope Kaminsky's next batch of aerials includes views looking towards the outfield, so we can see what the place looks like without the wall. So far, this is the only such view I've found, and "just" the three segments on the right (Budweiser, Bank of America, Utz) are gone.

(Uploaded to Flickr.com by user treman262 on 2/19/10; described as having been taken February 18, 2010. Link to original Flickr.com upload: here.)
    Thats the guy who was on the seat removal crew many months ago.

Exactly 2 Miles From Babe Ruth's Final Resting Place

Today's New York Daily News (2/24)

TIME RUNNING OUT AS YANKEES FANS LOSE ANOTHER BATTLE IN FIGHT TO SAVE GATE 2 AT OLD STADIUM

BY Benjamin Peim
    DAILY NEWS WRITER

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 4:00 AM

It still ain't over till its over.

That's the vow a group of Yankee fans made Tuesday after losing the latest - and possibly final - battle with the city to save Gate 2 at the old Yankee Stadium.

The city Public Design Commission on Monday granted preliminary approval to the Parks Department's plans to commemorate the old Yankee Stadium - without retaining Gate 2.

Now the Gate 2 fans say they will pursue legal action to save it from the wrecking ball.

"I'm definitely going ahead with an injunction," said group member Tim Reid, 55, of Boca Raton, Fla.

The entire stadium is set to be demolished by June to make way for a Heritage Field Park.

The Parks Department plans to commemorate the House that Ruth Built by putting in engraved plaques and preserving elements of the stadium frieze and the famous bat statue outside.

"It feels like you just found out a good friend of yours had terminal cancer," said John Trush, 58, of Washington, N.J. "But we're gonna figure out a way forward."

The crusading fans first organized over the Internet last year, and hail from all over the country. They presented their ideas to the Design Commission in October, when the commission rejected the Parks Department's original proposed plans, and again on Monday.

The fans have said the gate is a historical treasure, with 80% of its structure dating to the 1920s, and that saving it would cost as little as $1 million.

But the agency cast doubt on the gate's historical value, and said that saving the gate could skyrocket to $15 million.

Parks' prior commemoration plans were rejected by the Design Commission in October. The commission is responsible for approving permanent works of art, architecture and landscape architecture proposed on or over city property.

Although the fighting fans have argued the preserved gate would be a grand entrance into the Heritage Field Park, many residents in Bronx Community Board 4, where the stadium sits, seemed opposed to saving the towering structure.

The community has had a lack of park space because work on the new stadium was done over a park.

Residents and local officials have said they feared that adjusting the plans for Gate 2 would further delay construction of the new park.

"I really hope they rethink and don't delay this project," Community Board 4 District Manager Jose Rodriguez said of the gate fans' plan to fight the decision. "There's a community that wants its parks online already."

Parks still has to return to the Design Commission to verify that a more detailed version of the agency's preliminary plans is to the commission's liking.

A Parks spokeswoman said yesterday, "Parks looks forward to advancing the design and approaching the next step, which is to seek final approval from the Public Design Commission."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...#ixzz0gU4yxd86
    ------------------------------------------
    www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
    www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
    www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

The last part of the outfield wall came down this afternoon. All of the outfield wall is now gone.
    X

Page 199 of 354 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209249299 ... LastLast