Page 199 of 442 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209249299 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,980 of 8837

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Quote Originally Posted by Mattingly85MVP View Post
    For the sake of putting that hideous woman's picture back a few pages....I'm currently watching the Pine Tar game on MLB Network and I noticed that after Brett was called out and the game ended, that "New York, New York" began playing. I'm sure this has been discussed, but does anyone know how far back the yanks began playing NY, NY after games? This is the earliest I can confirm hearing it played after a game at the stadium (1983)
    thanks
    Hi Mattingly,

Wikipedia says the song was originally recorded by Liza Minnelli in 1977, recorded by Frank Sinatra in 1979, and released as part of a 1980 album.

I clearly remember the song being played at the Stadium that year in 1980. So it goes back pretty much to its beginning.

A side note about 1980; a pretty good year for the Yanks as they won 103 games just as they did this year. First play off loss unfortunately, however. Anyway, I was at the division clinching which was the first game of a doubleheader. A Saturday, I think. Reggie Jackson hit one out early. His 40th or 41st that year. In the 9th inning, Gossage was in there to lock up the division championship. I used to love watching him stomp around on the mound with that wildman routine. He was at his peak at that point and the act had to intimidate the opposing batters.

But the thing that really stands out in my mind from that day was the crowd. I was sitting in the lowest rows of the upper deck, a wonderful spot, and had the whole field and the stadium with both wings jam packed (still a novelty then) right in front of me. But in the top of that 9th inning, the crowd was absolutely roaring. Maybe it was my central location along with my emotions flying high but I've never experienced a level of sustained noise louder that that ever since. And I've been to all kinds of play off and World Series games.

Regards,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrig27 View Post
    Figures, I've been waiting to see the original facing of the mezzanine to be exposed in the demolition and it looks like they took the whole thing down without a trace. I was still holding out hope that out of all the sections that were painted white, there would be that one that was still green.
    I was looking for the same thing, and was also disappointed. Bummer.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 04golf View Post
    How was a court house going to be moved? Seems nearly unrealistics
    He's being sarcastic! The steel alone in that courthouse probably weighs more than(what's left of!) RYS. It's just badly placed in that particular rendering.
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

I think that rendering was reversed and should be showing the RF side.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    So that could be the rightfield, but at least all the lettering is legible(IE not backwards!)
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    No, it is just inaccurate. Is it that crazy to think that a hand drawn rendering of a stadium not be 100% correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mets16 View Post
    No, it is just inaccurate. Is it that crazy to think that a hand drawn rendering of a stadium not be 100% correct?
    Greatest hand-drawn rendering on the east coast.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Not to mention, I don't think I've ever seen an HOK/Populous sketch rendering that hasn't turned into something completely different when the final rendering is released.

It seems like the initial drawings are just 'appetizers' to make all us baseball fans go 'Wow look at that fantastic place! Built it!!' and then they turn the tables on us and give us a finished product that is completely different, if not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
    and then they turn the tables on us and give us a finished product that is completely different, if not worse.
    *ahem* Citi Field *ahem*

Quote Originally Posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
    Not to mention, I don't think I've ever seen an HOK/Populous sketch rendering that hasn't turned into something completely different when the final rendering is released.

It seems like the initial drawings are just 'appetizers' to make all us baseball fans go 'Wow look at that fantastic place! Built it!!' and then they turn the tables on us and give us a finished product that is completely different, if not worse.
    Agreed. Cases in point: The WTC reconstruction and the adjacent transit hub, & the Nets arena in Brooklyn.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14

Quote Originally Posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
    Agreed. Cases in point: The WTC reconstruction....
    At least HOK didn't get the WTC contract. It would be red brick with forrest green trim.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

I was at the pine tar game with my dad, mom as well. I sat behind home plate, tier level box, a row or two up. I had a perfect view to see George Brett charge out of the Royals dugout and go nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by frank72 View Post
    Strawman,
    I was also at the Pine Tar Game in almost the same exact seats. 3rd row field level right off 3rd base. I was 10 years old at the time but I remember we almost missed Brett charging out of the dugout because my Dad was trying to get us to leave right after the home run to beat the traffic. Lucky for us I wouldnt let him!

Hmmm, interesting that the lettering in that rendering is not reversed. So, the Courthouse was put there on purpose. It's not crazy to think that a drawing would not be 100% perfect, but I'm a stickler for accuracy, especially when it comes to the Stadium. Oh, I saw the Pine Tar game on tv. I was sitting in my living room.

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    At least HOK didn't get the WTC contract. It would be red brick with forrest green trim.
    Yeah, but it would have been ready by the third Opening Day!

Quote Originally Posted by YanksRule View Post
    There were plans for it back in 1998... I gotta say those "toothbrush lights" reek of Jacobs Field.. or Progressive Field or whatever it's called now... but the place looks so much more like the pre-renovated stadium than the new stadium ever will

http://www.stadiumpage.com/stpages/yankeereno.html
    Doesn't she look like she's gritting her teeth in the second picture, as if to say she's dissatisfied with her forced "new look"?

Brad
    "Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth." - Lou Gehrig, Yankee Stadium, July 4, 1939

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPwsl8YtxqQ
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thestadiumguy/

My opinion is that the courthouse, being an intricate part of the view from inside Yankee Stadium, had to be included in that picture. It was put in that particular area for a reason. Had it been where it was supposed to be you wouldn't be able to see it. The scoreboard would be in the way.

Flipped

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
    My opinion is that the courthouse, being an intricate part of the view from inside Yankee Stadium, had to be included in that picture. It was put in that particular area for a reason. Had it been where it was supposed to be you wouldn't be able to see it. The scoreboard would be in the way.
    Or just, you know, draw the other side of the Stadium, and include the courthouse accurately.

Renovation Alternate 1.jpg
    Last edited by locke40; 12-12-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Flipped

Confused

Was that plan actually for NYS or just a way to revitalize RYS? It looks pretty much the same as our old girl, with some new options.

Also to the other posters who were bummed that the facing of the loge is already off... ditto. That and the exposure of the old catwalks in the upper deck were the two things I was really looking forward to seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksRule View Post
    There were plans for it back in 1998... I gotta say those "toothbrush lights" reek of Jacobs Field.. or Progressive Field or whatever it's called now... but the place looks so much more like the pre-renovated stadium than the new stadium ever will

http://www.stadiumpage.com/stpages/yankeereno.html
    Doesn't look all that much different than the current stadium, at least in concept. There were major downsides to using this design though.
    1) The team would have to find another home while the renovations were done, because I'm not too sure that they could be done in the short time between November and April.
    2) The seating capacity would've taken a huge hit by eliminating all of the Loge seating, I think we'd end up with a 45,000 seat ballpark or maybe even less. Especially significant when you consider it was right around '98 that the Yankees started selling out nearly every night.

Not to mention that the whole outside glass concourse is just tacky and doesn't work with the classic design of the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by DM23MVP View Post
    Building across the street allowed them to build a world class baseball stadium from the ground up and get everything they wanted without all the snags and headaches that come with renovating a 85 year old building.

Nobody is saying that we all have to be happy that the old ballpark that we grew up with is is coming down before our eyes, but it's nice that the Yankees ownership went above and beyond to make the new stadium feel like home. And it does. I went to over 1000 games at RYS and about 65 games at NYS and when sitting in my seat, it feels like the same park, minus the massive screen in CF. It feels like home.
    I have to agree completely. Yes, it's sad that the original Stadium is now coming down, but it was a great run for 85 years and logistically it was impossible to think that a renovation could be done to the same facility to keep things up to date with the standards that modern ballparks expect *and* to do it without forcing the Yankees to seek a temporary home elsewhere. Considering that 15 years ago, Steinbrenner did not even want to have a new ballpark in the Bronx but was in love with the West Side idea (which in all candor would have been more convenient for a NJ resident like me to get to the games since central NJ residents like me have it worst as far as convenient access goes, whereas the West Side would have made it easy by train just like going to MSG) the fact that he ultimately agreed to keep the Yankees in its historic community in the Bronx should say plenty.

I went to many Yankee games over the years starting in 76 (so I have no frame of reference for the original Stadium configuration) and I went twice to the new Stadium this past year. Of course there are flaws in the new Stadium one can point out, but right away it too felt like "home" to me as much as the old place and with a championship season in the ballpark's first year, I think its much easier to see it now as part of an exciting new chapter in Yankee history.

Page 199 of 442 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209249299 ... LastLast