Page 205 of 442 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,100 of 8837

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
    Can we stop talking about FAIL SPORT NA$CAR in a baseball forum?

Besides, the Car of Tomorrow/Today ruined what was once a respectable racing series.

Yours truly,
    Jethro
    Understand the context in which I brought up NA$CAR. For many years it was the only sport I followed, which led to my complete lack of knowledge of any other sport. Including, apparently, the fact that the NY Giants did actually play at the Yale Bowl briefly during the '70s. Is everyone who loves sports supposed to know that, (Mandrake?) I don't think so. But during my NASCAR years, I had on such blinders that I literally couldn't name more than two or three NY metro area sports franchises - and I'm from CONNECTICUT! How the heck many people from CT actually KNOW what NASCAR is, let alone follow it?

That is the context in which I mentioned NA$CAR. In recent years, for whatever reason, I've come to my senses and discovered NASCAR for the fraud it is, and learned about and began to follow and enjoy other sports, along with the architecture in which they are played.
    Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 12-17-2009 at 05:53 PM.
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

NASCAR is indeed a fraud, but the Indy 500 is still the "Greatest Spectacle In Racing." (even though open-wheel racing has been ruined in the last decade).

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
    To quote George Carlin, "NASCAR isn't a sport, auto racing is a form of transportation. Riding the bus isn't a sport so why should NASCAR be a sport??"
    Riding a bus doesn't require strength, endurance, nerves of steel (and balls to match), precision hand-eye coordination and extreme skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk2DNyy4Skc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV7L8I4_udI
    Last edited by jnakamura; 12-17-2009 at 06:21 PM.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by epaddon View Post
    NASCAR is indeed a fraud, but the Indy 500 is still the "Greatest Spectacle In Racing." (even though open-wheel racing has been ruined in the last decade).
    And how has it been ruined? Honestly! I'm a recovering NASCAR addict so that means I don't know much about open-wheel either. Probably commercially I suppose . . .

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Exactly 2 Miles From Babe Ruth's Final Resting Place
    Quote Originally Posted by threeyoda View Post
    It appears that the dugout is in the process of being buried in the last pic. If so, Yankee Stadium's home dugout will always remain under heritage park and eventually decompose and become a part of the soil of the Bronx.
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh ............. The dugout is made of concrete ..........?
    If you're waiting for concrete to decompose, you're going to be waiting a VERY LONG time.
    ------------------------------------------
    www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
    www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
    www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
    But during my NASCAR years, I had on such blinders that I literally couldn't name more than two or three NY metro area sports franchises - and I'm from CONNECTICUT!
    I can relate to that. In my college days, the only music I cared about was Beatles. Beatles, Beatles, Beatles. Didn't know from others, didn't care. But if the people who knew me then were to see what's on my MP3 player today, they'd probably have an aneurysm when they learned I've got everyone from Frank Sinatra to GG Allin. Times and tastes change.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
    To quote George Carlin, "NASCAR isn't a sport, auto racing is a form of transportation. Riding the bus isn't a sport so why should NASCAR be a sport??"
    To quote Harvey Pekar, "Riding the bus saves you time, but it doesn't lengthen your life."
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Riding a bus doesn't require strength, endurance, nerves of steel (and balls to match), precision hand-eye coordination and extreme skill.

You've never ridden a bus in the city of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    I've got everyone from Frank Sinatra to GG Allin
    I had to triple read that. I never imagined seeing GG Allin mentioned here.
    Last edited by doctor_gogol; 12-17-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor_gogol View Post
    You've never ridden a bus in the city of Detroit.
    Point taken.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

I've got everyone from Frank Sinatra to GG Allin.
    But do you have the almighty DBT singin' 'bout G.G. Allin?

Including, apparently, the fact that the NY Giants did actually play at the Yale Bowl briefly during the '70s. Is everyone who loves sports supposed to know that, (Mandrake?) I don't think so.
    On a baseball forum, no it is not mandatory to know football Giants history. When discussing OLD Yankee Stadium's sad demise however, well it could be mandatory to know which professional teams played in the historic venue.

And it would show people how devoted football Giants fans are that they would put up with traveling to the Yale Bowl.

I can relate to that. In my college days, the only music I cared about was Beatles. Beatles, Beatles, Beatles. Didn't know from others, didn't care. But if the people who knew me then were to see what's on my MP3 player today, they'd probably have an aneurysm when they learned I've got everyone from Frank Sinatra to GG Allin. Times and tastes change.
    Hey Gary

From the MSG website, Devils announcer Steve Cangialosi,may have your music beat: Cangialosi, a New York native and graduate of NYU, now lives in Manhattan and enjoys cooking, horseracing and the music of Little Jack Little and Basil Fomine.

Now if you had Little Jack Little and Basil Fomine on your MP3..................
    (as good as having Rubber Soul and Revolver???)

Sorry, Yankee Stadium fans, just waiting for some new pictures !

http://www.msg.com/television/steve-cangialosi.html

So with them taking out all of the lower level and mezzanine...How are they going to bring the upper deck down?...I guess them re-installing the post to balance the upperdeck when the turn buckles are cut is out of the question?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    On a baseball forum, no it is not mandatory to know football Giants history. When discussing OLD Yankee Stadium's sad demise however, well it could be mandatory to know which professional teams played in the historic venue.

And it would show people how devoted football Giants fans are that they would put up with traveling to the Yale Bowl.
    I am aware that both NY Giants teams had stints at the Stadium. But your reaction to my not knowing that the football Giants played at Yale seemed to imply that I was really clueless. As I said, no sports fan knows everything about a particular sport or sports. Unless they were portrayed by Dustin Hoffman opposite Tom Cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post

No, but driving one around double-parked cabs in Brooklyn certainly does!

Quote Originally Posted by bandit12 View Post
    So with them taking out all of the lower level and mezzanine...How are they going to bring the upper deck down?...I guess them re-installing the post to balance the upperdeck when the turn buckles are cut is out of the question?
    I think that installing temporary bracing to hold up the upper deck is a distinct possibility. Seems like they're trying to control the demo carefully in order to keep the dust down. If they just started picking away at the upper deck, it would quickly become out of balance and might fall uncontrolled.
    First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    But do you have the almighty DBT singin' 'bout G.G. Allin?
    HELL YEAH!!!

And to bring this tangent back to thread, how 'bout Patterson Hood as Springsteen?

Last night, Patterson (the nicest guy in Athens) came by the theater I work at to see New York I Love You.

The "bums" James Caan is referring to in that clip are the New York Yankees who played at the Yankee Stadium which is being demolished.

TAH-DAH!!!
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 12-18-2009 at 12:10 PM.

more pics.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

from newsday.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

And how has it been ruined? Honestly! I'm a recovering NASCAR addict so that means I don't know much about open-wheel either. Probably commercially I suppose . . .
    Mostly by bad marketing and the fact that the equipment became too expensive to allow good American drivers to go from the Sprint car ranks to Indy Car racing like the Foyts etc. had done. Instead, they went for the bigger cash cows of NASCAR and Indy got stuck with an endless parade of Formula One type winners.

People claim wrongly that the Yankees have made baseball competition bad, but a genuine example of a fat cat rich team making competition bad is what Roger Penske has been doing in Indy racing for a long time.

[rant]I wish in this day and age of terabytes, megabits and megapixels why these sites don't post links to higher-res images. Tom Kaminsky boasts of his nice equipment but all we can see is wallet-size.[/end_rant]
    Last edited by Aviator_Frank; 12-18-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Page 205 of 442 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305 ... LastLast