Page 318 of 354 FirstFirst ... 218268308316317318319320328 ... LastLast
Results 7,926 to 7,950 of 8832

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    Rob R
    I agree ! Could you imagine if there was such a thing as Baseball fever back in the 1920's !

How dare they leave the beloved Polo Grounds. How dare they leave Manhattan, even though it is only a few blocks away, for the Bronx ! Please, how gauche....da Bronx? How dare they leave the place the Bambino hit 59 hrs ! (That was the season he would have hit 104 hrs in a modern ballpark)

How dare they leave the place they drew 1,289,422. And how do they reward those loyal record breaking fans....by moving to a place called Yankee Stadium ! Fail. It was so funny that they only attracted 1,007,066 to Yankee Stadium despite winning their first World Series in 1923.....Yankee Stadium fail!!! And it was nowhere as loud as the old Polo Grounds were !!!

And then attendance dropped all the way to 697,267 in 1925. Imagine in just its third season, the Yankees lost nearly half their fans. FAIL, Yankee Stadium, FAIL. No way do they lose 50% of their fans if they stayed at the Polo Grounds. That's it, I'm done. I'm switching over to the Giants from now on. At least they won the pennant again in 1924, their 4th straight. I predict here in 1926 that the Yankees will be cursed and have a long drought, longer than the Red Sox 1918 curse ad the Cubs 1908 curse. Yes, they may have won a WS in the very first season in the new stadium, but they are cursed ! (I think we've heard this before!).

Egads, the 9th Avenue EL doesn't even go to this Yankee Stadium. I have to take a shuttle over there from Manhattan. FAIL, Yankee Stadium. And no matter what the Ruppert controlled stooges in the media say, it is NOT the house Ruth built. After all, the Babe said "I cried the night they told me they were taking me out of the Polo Grounds".
    Perfect, just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by nymTom View Post
    Bravo, Bravo, 5 star post, two thumbs up ,, so true on all that. I htink you summed it up perfectly as to what woudl have been said back then in a baseball forum..
    Correction, not in a baseball forum, not even this forum, but in this thread by the same 5-6 people, some fans of other teams, some pretending to be Yankee fans and some fair-weathered ones we can do without and won't miss.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    If it meant keeping OYS standing mostly intact, I would elect the Yankees to move to Manhattan at least.
    and what would you say when it was rotting and crumbling- what city in its right mind would pay to maintain a stadium not in use when they can barely pay teachers

Also moving the Yankees to Manhattan would be a traffic nightmare. It's the same reason why the Jets' West Side Stadium was shot down (the same area where the Yanks were supposed to relocate, BTW).

[QUOTE=Bleeding Pinstripes;1731488]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Vaz View Post
    I know this is way off topic, but for anyone interested here are some photos from the Giants Stadium demolition. Halfway done.

i wonder if they will find Hoffas body?
    Fortunately the mob is in charge of the demo, so it's all good

Quote Originally Posted by Mastermind View Post
    and what would you say when it was rotting and crumbling- what city in its right mind would pay to maintain a stadium not in use when they can barely pay teachers
    And why would they bother in the first place, especially if the Yankees were already gone? The residents of the Bronx seem to care the least of all about the place, so without games, who would come to see it?

surprised at the amount of steel that went into GS. Considering most of the cookie cutters built in the 15 years bf the Meadowlands were concrete and rebar.

Not sure an implosion would have been feasible, regardless of the new stadium next door.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsean View Post
    And why would they bother in the first place, especially if the Yankees were already gone? The residents of the Bronx seem to care the least of all about the place, so without games, who would come to see it?
    De Facto All-Star Stadium, De Facto World Series stadium, old timers day, museum, special events, etc. Again, why keep the Colosseum standing? It is an abandoned sports arena. Unlike the Romans, we do not give a crap about historical buildings......

Hell, maybe give it to one of the Yankees minor league teams. Shrink the stadium a little bit( by demoing the extension parts of the stadium), and it would be a great minor league stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by LizrdKng67 View Post
    What if they were knocking it down like they are now, where would you want them to move?
    If OYS was going to be knocked down regardless, then I have no problem with across the street.
    Last edited by quagmire; 05-07-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob R View Post
    . When he wasn't sending Mickey Mantle off to doctors with infected needles,
    I don't get that. What's the story there?
    Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

De Facto All-Star Stadium, De Facto World Series stadium, old timers day, museum, special events, etc. Again, why keep the Colosseum standing? It is an abandoned sports arena. Unlike the Romans, we do not give a crap about historical buildings......
    Sure and what about college football? OR baseball. Something! De facto All-Star facility would be fitting for such an important place.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxlugar View Post
    I don't get that. What's the story there?
    It's a pretty well known story:

Allen also had a close relationship with his subjects. When Mantle couldn't shake the flu late in the 1961 season, the announcer suggested he drop by the East Side practice of his doctor, Max Jacobson (aka "Dr. Feelgood"), whose patient list also included writers Truman Capote and Tennessee Williams, director Cecil B. DeMille and President Kennedy and his wife, Jacqueline. Jacobson injected his subjects with mood-lifting "miracle" shots, which turned out to be amphetamine cocktails.

Mantle said later that Jacobson used a dirty needle to administer a shot to his hip, and he developed an infected wound that knocked him from that summer's historic home-run race with Roger Maris. The injury also nearly caused Mantle to miss the entire '61 World Series.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...iversary_N.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DM23MVP View Post
    Who is HUGH? What position did he play?

As for Jeter (one of the greatest shortstops in the history of the game) and Rivera (the greatest relief pitcher and one of the best pitchers, period, in the history of the game), I think they can more than hold their own and carry the torch for the future of the Yankees. They both have 5 World Series rings in a much tougher game than it was in the 50's, they had to win 55 playoff games to get those 5 titles, Yogi only had to win 40 games to get his 10 rings!
    Typo. Meant HUGE. If you think it was "tougher" to play baseball in the 1990's as opposed to the 1950's, then you are in the wrong universe......... Secondly, my point about the dropoff is not about talent, it is about who will be representing the Yankees from era's of yesteryear? The 50? Pepitone? Richardson? The 60's were a wash.

Derek Jeter's name will be mentioned with Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle, the Yankee greats, and it'll be well-deserved. The top echelon. Mo will be mentioned in the same breath as Berra and Whitey and will be recognized as the greatest closer the game has ever seen. All elite. Jeter's name is already synonymous with the New York Yankees. Jeter is the New York Yankees; he represents them and has for years. Ask any fan of any team. Ask even veteran players of opposing teams who have said they felt "honored" when Jeter acknowledged them with a pat on the back and a kind word for them when he met them at the bag as either a defender or base runner. He's already reached iconic stature in the game.

By the way, Pepitone and Richardson weren't Yankees in the 50's. They're '60's Yankees.
    Last edited by Rob R; 05-07-2010 at 12:31 PM.

How ABOUT that!

if anyone wants to put it to pictures, watch Billy Crystal's 61* (luckily he's not in it himself)

Hell, maybe give it to one of the Yankees minor league teams. Shrink the stadium a little bit( by demoing the extension parts of the stadium), and it would be a great minor league stadium.
    That's my point though... they could have saved it THIS time for all those reasons, and they didn't. Why bother if the Yankees were no longer IN the Bronx.

Oh LOL. I get it. I said Mel Allen instead of Mel Hall. LOL. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Maxlugar View Post
    Oh LOL. I get it. I said Mel Allen instead of Mel Hall. LOL. Sorry
    I KNEW that's who you meant...just having fun myself...

By the way, Pepitone and Richardson weren't Yankees in the 50's. They're '60's Yankees.
    They renamed the Triboro the RFK Bridge, they should rename the Queens-Midtown Tunnel the Joe Pepitone Tunnel.

I agree w/ you Re: DJ. He is, and will be, the face of the franchise for many years to come.

Cheers!
    -Doug
    20-Game "A" Plan, Prom Box 423.

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    Typo. Meant HUGE. If you think it was "tougher" to play baseball in the 1990's as opposed to the 1950's, then you are in the wrong universe......... Secondly, my point about the dropoff is not about talent, it is about who will be representing the Yankees from era's of yesteryear? The 50? Pepitone? Richardson? The 60's were a wash.
    Agree the 60's were kind of winding down years (but those guys you mentioned were from that decade), as was Murcer (I'm still surprised he doesn't get more, but he left + was a victim of the times). In the 70's you have Guidry and Reggie, Munson having left us. The 80's is all Donnie Baseball, which leads us to Jeter and Mo, and maybe Bernie. I'm sure though Petitte, Posada, Girardi, and maybe even Torre will be the new 2nd tier of Moose Skowrons, Gil McDougalds, Graig Nettles etc.

Sadly I don't think Kevin Maas, Dan Pasqua, or Mike Pagliarulo will make the cut :P

On topic - it's more than likely that none of these players were involved in the demolition of Yankee Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    They renamed the Triboro the RFK Bridge, they should rename the Queens-Midtown Tunnel the Joe Pepitone Tunnel.

-Doug
    LOL...that would be hilarious. I'm cracking up just thinking about it.

That's my point though... they could have saved it THIS time for all those reasons, and they didn't. Why bother if the Yankees were no longer IN the Bronx.
    Because even if the Yankees left the Bronx, it doesn't discount what Yankee Stadium signifies. If it meant saving OYS, I would be for the Yankees moving out of the Bronx.

If NYC wanted to save OYS, they could have. Unlike Boston where Fenway is doomed if the Red Sox ever decide they want a new stadium, they weren't crippled for land. There were so many uses they could have used OYS if it meant taking the Yankees away from the Bronx.

Because even if the Yankees left the Bronx, it doesn't discount what Yankee Stadium signifies. If it meant saving OYS, I would be for the Yankees moving out of the Bronx.

If NYC wanted to save OYS, they could have. Unlike Boston where Fenway is doomed if the Red Sox ever decide they want a new stadium, they weren't crippled for land. There were so many uses they could have used OYS if it meant taking the Yankees away from the Bronx.
    And who would pay for the upkeep of OYS??? Do you know how much money it costs to run and maintain a stadium???? and dont say the City wastes so much money as it is anyways , cause thats a whole other topic for discussion with the corruption, bribes, payoffs and scandals that goes on.. Fact remains the people of NY would be paying for it and regardless of what some of you think, Many people of NY could give two craps about the Yankees or their stadiums.. so Unless you were getting the Yankees themselves to pay the bill, this just wasnt gonna happen. Also you say you woudl be all for the Yankees moving out of the Bronx?? to where, Jersey?? I think some of yous would rather have the Old stadium then the team itself. You cant make this crap up..

Yeah but would you go there if there were no Yankees? For the argument to be valid that the Yankees can't/shouldn't exist w/o YS, surely it should work both ways. I mean I think that a YS without Yankees would be lacking something... the reason for it's being. (not to mention the fact that they would have to rename it "Stadium" :P)

Don't get me wrong. I'm mad as heck at the debacle just like always. If I had my say the Yankees would still be in The House... but I think we're veering into fantasy here. I can't think of a plausible scenario in which the city would have wanted to keep RYS AND build the Yankees a new park. The only advantage (and this is a stretch) is that there would be no new parkland needed, so there would be no urgency to knock it down. But space is at a premium in NY, even in the South Bronx, and it would be a hard sell to convince the city to not pull an Ebbets/PG three-peat. O/RYS was doomed as soon as the new stadium talks began in the 90's, and even more so once that expansion joint fell into the loge. It's only now we see it clearly.
    Last edited by giantsean; 05-07-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nymTom View Post
    And who would pay for the upkeep of OYS??? Do you know how much money it costs to run and maintain a stadium???? and dont say the City wastes so much money as it is anyways , cause thats a whole other topic for discussion with the corruption, bribes, payoffs and scandals that goes on.. Fact remains the people of NY would be paying for it and regardless of what some of you think, Many people of NY could give two craps about the Yankees or their stadiums.. so Unless you were getting the Yankees themselves to pay the bill, this just wasnt gonna happen. Also you say you woudl be all for the Yankees moving out of the Bronx?? to where, Jersey?? I think some of yous would rather have the Old stadium then the team itself. You cant make this crap up..
    I would prefer Manhattan as that was an idea of a possible location, but if it meant NJ, sure. The team is the team. They are still the New York Yankees. Even with the Yankees playing across the street, I am still a Yankees fan. I would still be a Yankees fan if they moved out of the Bronx if it meant saving OYS. Like I stated above, they could have used OYS for so many different uses. It wouldn't sit there abandoned. And while there isn't an event there, they could open it up for people to tour around( $$$$) and let the kids play a game on the field. Or they could give it to one of the Yankees minor league teams and just demolish the left and right field extensions to make it more appropriate size for a minor league stadium.

Yeah but would you go there if there were no Yankees? For the argument to be valid that the Yankees can't/shouldn't exist w/o YS, surely it should work both ways. I mean I think that a YS without Yankees would be lacking something... the reason for it's being. (not to mention the fact that they would have to rename it "Stadium" :P)

Don't get me wrong. I'm mad as heck at the debacle just like always. If I had my say the Yankees would still be in The House... but I think we're veering into fantasy here. I can't think of a plausible scenario in which the city would have wanted to keep RYS AND build the Yankees a new park. The only advantage (and this is a stretch) is that there would be no new parkland needed, so there would be no urgency to knock it down. But space is at a premium in NY, even in the South Bronx, and it would be a hard sell to convince the city to not pull an Ebbets/PG three-peat. O/RYS was doomed as soon as the new stadium talks began in the 90's, and even more so once that expansion joint fell into the loge. It's only now we see it clearly.
    Even without the current Yankees playing there, I would still go there to tour around it. Pay money for tours and walk around on the field, have catch with my kids one day on that field, etc. The whole world respects OYS. OYS could have been NYC's Colosseum. People go there to see an abandoned sports arena.

And yes nymTom, I do care more about the stadium then the team. As much of a Yankees fan as I am, I am a bigger fan of historical buildings. The Yankees are just a sports team. OYS is a historical building that held so many significant events including the Yankees.
    Last edited by quagmire; 05-07-2010 at 01:18 PM.

I would prefer Manhattan as that was an idea of a possible location, but if it meant NJ, sure. The team is the team. They are still the New York Yankees. Even with the Yankees playing across the street, I am still a Yankees fan. I would still be a Yankees fan if they moved out of the Bronx if it meant saving OYS. Like I stated above, they could have used OYS for so many different uses. It wouldn't sit there abandoned. And while there isn't an event there, they could open it up for people to tour around( $$$$) and let the kids play a game on the field. Or they could give it to one of the Yankees minor league teams and just demolish the left and right field extensions to make it more appropriate size for a minor league stadium.
    So to save OYS, you say screw the people and businesses that rely on the Yankees In the Bronx to satisfy some own personal satisfaction.. Sorry If the Yankees moved out of the Bronx i think that may have been more devastating then removing OYS and building a memorial park there.. Again , i say this with the utmost respect, but the people complaing are in the minority on this. If you were in the major majority and it made sense, things woudl have been different..

Page 318 of 354 FirstFirst ... 218268308316317318319320328 ... LastLast