Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What stood there before the Ballpark?

DiggerODell Guest

What stood there before the Ballpark?

OK, ya'll have tried "what is where the ballpark once stood", "ballpark under construction", "ballpark being played in while it was in existence" . . . How about any photos taken of the property before the actual ballpark was built? Not too many ever think too much of the land before the ballpark so it may be very difficult to find photographs. Anyone venture a guess on this one? My son took the photo, I am standing on where the future pitcher mound would be looking back towards the marker which represented the site of the future 2nd base.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerODell View Post
    OK, ya'll have tried "what is where the ballpark once stood", "ballpark under construction", "ballpark being played in while it was in existence" . . . How about any photos taken of the property before the actual ballpark was built? Not too many ever think too much of the land before the ballpark so it may be very difficult to find photographs. Anyone venture a guess on this one? My son took the photo, I am standing on where the future pitcher mound would be looking back towards the marker which represented the site of the future 2nd base.
    Coors Field?

at least the rays are tearing down an old stadium for their new one. Most large buildings in the tampa area is either filled in swamp land or old garbage dumps.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

DiggerODell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stlfan View Post
    Coors Field?
    You are correctomuendo! Was it the fact that I've uploaded about 100 photos of old Mile High Stadium this week that gave it a way or did you actually know? Just curious.

the new twins ballpark. (i realize that this isn't as cool as an older ballpark but i really like this photo)

You are correctomuendo! Was it the fact that I've uploaded about 100 photos of old Mile High Stadium this week that gave it a way or did you actually know? Just curious.
    stlfan is the architect of EVERY MAJOR LEAGUE BALLPARK
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Brilliant thread concept. Here's a few shots of the site of the new (2009) Yankee Stadium.

First, construction workers erecting the temporary fence on 161st Street, outside the future site of the new (2009) Yankee Stadium. In this view you're looking down the first base line, from right field to home plate.

(Photo taken August 21, 2006. © Gary Dunaier)

Here's a view of the site as seen from the subway station. By this time the park had been closed, but appearance-wise it hasn't changed too drastically, although some work has begun.

Finally, a handbill on a lamppost on River Avenue across the street from the site, announcing a rally (which had already taken place by the time this photo was taken) in which the groundbreaking event is described as a "ceremony to celebrate the seizure of our parks."

I've got a couple of earlier shots, before construction began, that I'll post at a later time. (Gotta keep you guys coming back for more!!!!! )
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

DiggerODell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoMets687 View Post
    Chavez Ravine?

DiggerODell Guest
    [QUOTE=Gary Dunaier;1214574]Brilliant thread concept. Here's a few shots of the site of the new (2009) Yankee Stadium.QUOTE]

There are some brilliant and resourceful researchers and posters to these threads. I look forward to perhaps seeing some of the "old, old ballparks" and photos of buildings and or fields which stood there before. Hard to imagine that thus far, Coors Field is the "old timer" of this thread . . . ha!

Home of the 2011 Miami Marlins

Demolition is almost done now

1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

I've been to Coors Field so I remember the surrounding area. I didn't even think about your other posts.

Man that kid looks pissed. Then again he has a reason. They kicked the people off the land to build the stadium. Maybe they gave him a Dadger hat, a baseball and a glove for his troubles.

Chavez Ravine?
    Why are you answering? These threads are for stlfan!!!
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Wouldn't Shea be on the bottom right in the picture, the fair was on the other side of the 7 line from where the stadium is today...
    Best posts ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

DiggerODell Guest
    Here is another of Coors Field before Coors Field. The Pole 3rd to the right is 2nd base. This photo was taken about 6 days before the official groundbreaking (which I also took photographs of, including some squatters that resided approx where the Rockies dugout is these days . . . not sure if anyone is interested?) which occured on October 16, 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by stlfan View Post
    Man that kid looks pissed. Then again he has a reason. They kicked the people off the land to build the stadium. Maybe they gave him a Dadger hat, a baseball and a glove for his troubles.
    Not really. Those pics are from the 1930s and 40s.

before shea a...

before shea stadium, before the world's fairs f. scott fitzgerald mentioned this area in "the great gatsby". "one of the most memorable descriptions in American literature was inspired by the vast cinder dump that accumulated along the west bank of the Flushing River in Corona, Queens. he described the dump as the “valley of ashes,” and the elaborate metaphor he constructed comprises a central figure in The Great Gatsby."
    read more here...
    http://www.city-journal.org/article02.php?aid=1524
    these pix are rare rare ariel photos of part of that area, the second showing aprox. where shea is.

before shea b...

here's another photo from directly above the '39 fair grounds, north is to the low left left corner. roads like the grand central pky. were built for the fair and the flushing irt subway (#7) was extended thru the site. shea was built on a parking field and not too much had to be moved, the whitestone expy. was rebuilt and new access roads were added. willets point area hasn't changed much, fending off incursions for the fair; jets stadium and citi field. ironically, the young lawyer who defended the interests of businesses there in the early 60's was the same guy as governor who tried to build a football stadium for the jets there in the early 80's - the hon. mario cuomo.

Quote Originally Posted by marlins739 View Post
    Home of the 2011 Miami Marlins

Demolition is almost done now

Have you been photographing the demolision ?

Not really. Those pics are from the 1930s and 40s.
    I think that's Luis Castillo on the lower right.

Quote Originally Posted by whoisonit View Post
    Have you been photographing the demolision ?
    No, I live about an hour and a half north of there, on a good day, so I haven't been down to see it yet. I was at a Hurricanes game at the Orange Bowl a long time ago, but I don't remember much about it
    1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

I actually got to see a game at the Orange Bowl in its final season. Texas A&M v. Miami. Though the Aggies got thrashed, it helped start in motion the firing of Dennis Franchione. So I was just happy to be there.
    Baseball writer

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast