Thread: Teixeira Interest?

Teixeira Interest?

Hi guys, I am a Braves poster that wanted to get some opinions from use Angels' fans.

Last year the Angels were one of the top suitors along with the Braves for Mark Teixeira, with Braves falling out of it in the East there is a chance the Braves may look to unload Teixeira in an effort to get something more then draft picks. My questions to you guys are if Teixeira was on the market do you think the Angels would have interest? And if so what do you think would be a fair package for him?

I only ask because I think the Braves will look at trading him and the Angels are one of the few teams that I could see having interest.
    Extend Prado!!!

Where would he play? 1B is Casey Kotchman, 3B is Chone Figgins, and OF is overstocked. DH? Oh yeah, Angels are pretty well stocked on that with the overflow from the OF! I doubt it!
    SeasonTicketPartner.com ..... Connect with Season Ticket Partners!

The Angels are pretty stacked offensively. I don't think Offense is what they're looking for. Maybe bullpen help? Starter? Their team overall is pretty fine to me.
    Texas Ranger Baseball 2008..

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSportsFan View Post
    Where would he play? 1B is Casey Kotchman, 3B is Chone Figgins, and OF is overstocked. DH? Oh yeah, Angels are pretty well stocked on that with the overflow from the OF! I doubt it!
    I don't think Casey Kotchman is ever going to be a reason there is no where to put Mark Teixeira.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    I don't think Casey Kotchman is ever going to be a reason there is no where to put Mark Teixeira.
    Disagree. Kotchman is cut from the same cloth as Kevin Youkilis -- Kotchman draws a few less walks is about the only real difference. They're both good defenders who hit well, even if they neither of them hit for huge power as 1B's.

If nothing else, Kotchman is a quality 1B in his own right and bringing in a Teixeira over him runs into the problem of diminishing returns -- how much better is the team actually going to be when you have to take him out of the lineup to bring Teixeira in? Better, surely, but enough better to justify Teixeira's trade price? That's doubtful.
    Last edited by Imgran; 06-16-2008 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Rangers View Post
    The Angels are pretty stacked offensively. I don't think Offense is what they're looking for. Maybe bullpen help? Starter? Their team overall is pretty fine to me.
    They are 11th in runs scored in the AL!

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    Disagree. Kotchman is cut from the same cloth as Kevin Youkilis -- Kotchman draws a few less walks is about the only real difference. They're both good defenders who hit well, even if they neither of them hit for huge power as 1B's.

If nothing else, Kotchman is a quality 1B in his own right and bringing in a Teixeira over him runs into the problem of diminishing returns -- how much better is the team actually going to be when you have to take him out of the lineup to bring Teixeira in? Better, surely, but enough better to justify Teixeira's trade price? That's doubtful.
    Kotchman is incredibly average. His career OPS+ is 102, which is below average for a first baseman. Youkilis is over 10 points that for his career and like 20 points above Kotchman's number this year.

Teixeira has a higher OPS this year, a much higher OPS for their careers, and they're equal defensively. Teixeira will probably end up with around a 135-140 OPS+ this year and yeah, that definitely worth it.
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Does it stay worth it when (not if, when) the price becomes 2-3 top prospects?

Does it stay worth it when (not if, when) the price becomes 2-3 top prospects?
    Top prospects? Did Texas get the Braves top prospects for him? So it actually is "if"

Top prospects? Did Texas get the Braves top prospects for him? So it actually is "if"
    I think the Braves will be asking for a lot more from LAA if they are going to part ways with Teixeira. Teixeira wasn't happy playing for the Rangers and the Rangers weren't looking for anything spectacular if you look at all the trade talk they had with several teams. I think Teixeira leaving Texas was more of his attitude and what he wanted rather then what the return was for him.

If you look at Texas, the GM, Jon Daniels, doesn't tolerate guys who don't want to play for this team and guys who have pissy attitudes. Sydney Ponson was just released recently and he was doing quite well for the team.

Was Saltalamachia one of Atlanta's top prospects?

Was Saltalamachia one of Atlanta's top prospects?
    That's uno.

I wouldn't call Andrus or any of the others a top prospect.

Is Tex a free agent after this year? That will have a lot to do with what they can get for him.

The Angels desperately need offensive help. I don't think they will give a lot for a two-three month rental player though. Would you??
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST View Post
    The Angels desperately need offensive help. I don't think they will give a lot for a two-three month rental player though. Would you??
    What the Angels really need is a power-hitting 3B, not a 1B. Brandon Wood is headed straight for Bustville at this rate but if he can straighten out and fly right it'd be huge for Anaheim.

What is it with Anaheim and an inability to develop power hitters anyhow? First Dallas McPherson now Brandon Wood?

What the Angels really need is a power-hitting 3B, not a 1B. Brandon Wood is headed straight for Bustville at this rate but if he can straighten out and fly right it'd be huge for Anaheim.

What is it with Anaheim and an inability to develop power hitters anyhow? First Dallas McPherson now Brandon Wood?
    They don't develop much period. They trade for everything.

They don't develop much period. They trade for everything.
    Yes but is that a cause, or an effect? Seems to me that if their in-house options actually developed some power they wouldn't need to go hat-in-hand to other squads so much.

Yes but is that a cause, or an effect? Seems to me that if their in-house options actually developed some power they wouldn't need to go hat-in-hand to other squads so much.
    That's a good point.

But when you start talking about a switch-hitting catcher with Saltalamacchia's kind of offensive potential, nearly MLB-ready, that's pure gold in prospectland. He's probably more valuable than any 3 of most teams' top 10. Including the Sox since our system's a bit bottom-heavy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by slugger33 View Post
    They are 11th in runs scored in the AL!
    Yes but the Angels have a good pitching staff. Teams like the Rangers that have no pitching what so ever need to rely on there offense to win them ball games. But with good pitching your offense can put a 2 spot on the bored and still win you the game.
    The ranger...... Doin ok
    Hamilton mvp, and triple crown :

Teix is known as a clubhouse killer. CJ Wilson (in an interview last week) said that he has never played with a worse teammate than Tex.
    Check out my site devoted to the greatness of college summer leagues.