Thread: Senator passes away.

Senator passes away.

Bert Shepard passed away early on today in California .From complications from a stroke a few years ago and his fight with diabeties.He was 12 days from his 88Th birthday.He will be sadly missed by all.

A sad loss. My condolences and prayers are sent to Mr. Shepard's family. Bert Shepard was a true hero who lost his foot in World War II fighting for his country and, through hard work and determination, finally realized his big league dream. Rest in peace.

Sean-please allow me to pass along my sincere condolences as well.

For those who may be unfamiliar with Bert Shepard, this article is an excellent reference: Bert Shepard was a hero in the air and on the bases
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Sean-sorry for your loss. If I remember correctly, you posted in another thread that he was your Uncle. Reguardless, pass along my condolences to other members of your family as well.

Bert Shepard obituary in the Washington Post

"For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

In 1949, Shepard was a player/manager for minor league Waterbury of the Colonial League. Keep in mind, a player/manager at the minor league level is sometimes greeted with some resentment because a younger player, seeking the big leagues, sees his playing time diminished.

No such resentment existed among Shepard's Waterbury players. In mid-season, the Waterbury owners fired Shepard because they did not want to pay Shepard's salary. Upon hearing the news, the players raised money among themselves to cover Shepard's salary. The owners promptly rehired Shepard.

What does it say when minor league players, on crumb pay, take money out of their own pockets to retain a person they respect and admire? It's just another testament to the character of Bert Shepard.