Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oriole Park At Camden Yards

Oriole Park At Camden Yards

I did a search and went through 30+ pages and could not find a thread dedicated to just photos of OPACY. I didn't think it belonged in the "is it getting old" thread.

Here are some from my April 14 trip.

Last edited by bandit12; 06-15-2010 at 11:42 AM.

I will post more after lunch.

It's a shame that the Seltzer tower is no longer visible from the field of play.

Man I need to go on a diet....I make Boog look small.

and a few from Ravens Stadium...

Last edited by bandit12; 06-15-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Here I need some help from you photoshop guys....when I stitched the panaram together I didn't catch my mistake til I got home....you can see it around the third base dugout. Can anyone fix this?

Some player shots

Last edited by bandit12; 06-15-2010 at 11:40 AM.

theres a thread I think I actually started way back when, I came here looking for CY construction pics.

I would really love to piss on that F*&ing Hilton Hotel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit12 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    It's a shame that the Seltzer tower is no longer visible from the field of play.
    Yeah, such a shame. How did the Orioles and Baltimore let that happen!?

I got a chance to go this weekend to see my Metsies and I gotta say that this ballpark is a real GEM. The sighlines were outstanding, the city views to the outfield are phenomenal (obstrusive Hilton, not withstanding). I love the concourses and I couldnt belive how HUGE they were; and the upper deck concourses are so open and scenic! The facade is classic, consistent and complete, (unlike citifield, despite its beautiful rontunda section) and thought its gorgeous design, the warehouse and Eutaw Street it is flawlessly entwined into Baltimore's streetscape fabric.

As far as the team...hang in there O's fans you'll one day get a team worthy of this beauty of a Ballpark.
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

The original retro park, still a gem. M&T Bank (Ravens) Stadium next door is also a very nice facility. Unitas Plaza and the Memorial Stadium sign continues to honor WWII vets as it did at old BMS, very classy.

Here are a few of my favorite pics from my visit last weekend. GREAT park. Still among the best.

I posted this link on the Citi Field thread yesterday for other Mets fans to see it since I had the same trouble and impatience with trying to find the thread for OPCY.

Quote Originally Posted by islandxtreme26 View Post
    ....I was down in Baltimore for the series this weekend and grabbed a bunch of pictures, many of them from Friday night when I was sitting behind Mets dugout. The pictures are not on my usual Webshots site so the full-size images are available to view:

http://bit.ly/cWQg3G
    http://www.twitter.com/chrisswann26

My Citi Field & Shea Gallery - 27 Albums - 3,091 pictures - 15 videos
    Citi Field Interior Construction Pics, Citi Field Game Pics, Shea Demolition Pics
    http://community.webshots.com/user/islandxtreme26

Quote Originally Posted by bandit12 View Post
    Here are some from my April 14 trip.
    Fake Memorial Stadium Fail.

Just messing around. In reality, those are nice shots, a good overview of the place for someone like me who hasn't actually been to the place. Those are the type of photos I'd take. Did you get any views from the upper deck?

Been a long time since I've really looked at Camden Yards photos. That Hilton really dominates the view beyond left field, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

What is the semi-circular building to the left of the Hilton?
    X

Unum pilule acetylsalicylicus, tres in diem, post sebum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    I think its another hotel. Not sure though. Maybe just an office building.
    Last edited by StadiumPage; 06-15-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Fake Memorial Stadium Fail.

Just messing around. In reality, those are nice shots, a good overview of the place for someone like me who hasn't actually been to the place. Those are the type of photos I'd take. Did you get any views from the upper deck?

Been a long time since I've really looked at Camden Yards photos. That Hilton really dominates the view beyond left field, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Thanks...although you can tell I had some issues with the sun and the limitations of my zoom. The player shots didn't turn out so well. I never went up into the upperdeck. Most of the shots of the stadium concourse etc. were done pre-game. Once the game started, we pretty much parked ourselves.....I know who actually watches a game anymore. But once the game was over...I had an usher follow me as I was taking shots/exiting. He never said I had to leave, but I could tell he wasn't going to give me free reign of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by StadiumPage View Post
    I think its another hotel. Not sure though. Maybe just an office building.
    The building to the left is The Zenith (www.zenithapts.net), a luxury apartment building that opened there late 2008 - early 2009. I visited the sales office there in the summer of '08 before I moved back from Baltimore and was impressed by the models and the views. Unfortunately, the prices are ridiculous and they were looking for over $2000 for a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment. There are quite a few new buildings that have opened there in the last few years that are in better locations, have better amenities, and are less expensive than that. (People have asked how the area around OPCY is - it is nice for the most part, provided you do not go two blocks north or two blocks west. Anything east of the park is nice as you go closer to the Harbor, but the immediate areas in the opposite direction are decrepit and crime-ridden.) While the building is nice, the value is just not there and has resulted in a building full of awful reviews by tenants. (For those reading this thread who are from Baltimore, stick to the Eden or the Crescent - they are expensive but are beautiful and in great locations; if I hadn't relocated for work and moved back to New York, I was moving downtown into the Eden)

Here is a picture of the Zenith from street level outside the ballpark, showing the Hilton to the right and the landmark Bromo Seltzer Tower in between
    Last edited by islandxtreme26; 06-16-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Citi Field Interior Construction Pics, Citi Field Game Pics, Shea Demolition Pics

Quote Originally Posted by islandxtreme26 View Post
    The building to the left is The Zenith (www.zenithapts.net), a luxury apartment building that opened there late 2008 - early 2009. I visited the sales office there in the summer of '08 before I moved back from Baltimore and was impressed by the models and the views. Unfortunately, the prices are ridiculous and they were looking for over $2000 for a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment. There are quite a few new buildings that have opened there in the last few years that are in better locations, have better amenities, and are less expensive than that. (People have asked how the area around OPCY is - it is nice for the most part, provided you do not go two blocks north or two blocks west. Anything east of the park is nice as you go closer to the Harbor, but the immediate areas in the opposite direction are decrepit and crime-ridden.) While the building is nice, the value is just not there and has resulted in a building full of awful reviews by tenants. (For those reading this thread who are from Baltimore, stick to the Eden or the Crescent - they are expensive but are beautiful and in great locations; if I hadn't relocated for work and moved back to New York, I was moving downtown into the Eden)

Here is a picture of it from street level outside the ballpark, showing the Hilton to the left.
    I have to agree with the bad neighborhoods near the park. The biggest complaint I had was the signage for parking there and the lack (or even willingness) of the parking attendents to motion you in the right direction. We were near the lot next to the train and the football stadium. On the way out, I drove through some of those bad areas b/c we didn't know where we were going even with gps.

with all the mets/yanks/red sox followers who buy tix there (g'nats soon also?), the o's can add logos etc. of those clubs around the place to make the out-of-towners more at home?

must be hell for the o's followers these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    with all the mets/yanks/red sox followers who buy tix there (g'nats soon also?), the o's can add logos etc. of those clubs around the place to make the out-of-towners more at home?

Sadly....I think the play on the field helps them enough.

Quote Originally Posted by trepye View Post
    Yeah, such a shame. How did the Orioles and Baltimore let that happen!?
    The projects to build the Hilton (and the aforementioned Zenith Apartments) were planned and part of the revitalization of the area that began in 1992 with OPCY opening. The land that the Hilton stands on was a Parking Lot for the ballpark for years, however, it was always planned that the hotel would stand there. From what I heard, a hotel was supposed to be built there in the earliy 90's and never started because of funding issues. Baltimore fans got lucky with the view of the Bromo Seltzer Tower for so many years and it truly is a shame that it was taken away once the hotel's construction finally began. In 2007, there were rallies around the construction site filled with people protesting their "loss", however, in the end, money trumps all. The problem is that the team and the city don’t OWN the land between themselves and the tower, so there’s nothing they could do about reasonable construction that conformed to local zoning laws. Since you don’t own the air over other people’s property, the view and the fans were the real losers.

The Hilton was a big debate in Baltimore for the couple of years leading up to its construction, specifically regarding the fact that legislation had to be passed for the issuance of over a couple hundred MILLION DOLLARS in city revenue bonds for the project. The project was also fought by many city council members b/c of the amount of attention it generated by fans who had heard about the view it would destroy. Many also felt that there was no need for ANOTHER hotel of its size to feed the Convention Center (which it has a skywalk to), especially if it was to be publicly financed. One of the biggest lifts the project got was from then-mayor O'Malley who was in favor of the hotel's 700+ rooms because of the city's need to remain competitive in the convention industry and because of the fact that that public financing would enable Baltimore to share in the profits that the hotel would generate.

In the end, Baltimore fans lost a view - the city got ANOTHER big hotel - and we get to debate it today.

Here is a link to archived stories from The Baltimore Sun about the project: http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...siness-indepth
    Last edited by islandxtreme26; 06-15-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Nothing will ever top last years Red Sox road trip to Washington. It was the highest ratio of opposing fans I've ever seen at any sporting event. There were four Sox fans for every one National. Had you eliminated all of the Sox fans, there still would have been 10,000 Nats fans, which is double the size of a typical crowd at Nats park.

the profile cities change all the time and letting the tail wag the dog, which happened in denver can stunt the economic growth that's essential for municipalities looking to encourage new businesses.
    the rockies strong armed the local politicians to regulate/reduce the size of a high-rise building more than a mile away from their malpark so it won't block their pristine mountain backdrop.
    if franchises want visual access to "views" from their taxpayer funded palaces they should buy the offending properties .
    too much is made of the "views" of the new mallparks. isn't the reason to be there what's going on on the field? oh, i forgot that that it's the o's field...

the profile cities change all the time and letting the tail wag the dog, which happened in denver can stunt the economic growth that's essential for municipalities looking to encourage new businesses.
    the rockies strong armed the local politicians to regulate/reduce the size of a high-rise building more than a mile away from their malpark so it won't block their pristine mountain backdrop.
    if franchises want visual access to "views" from their taxpayer funded palaces they should buy the offending properties .
    too much is made of the "views" of the new mallparks. isn't the reason to be there what's going on on the field? oh, i forgot that that it's the o's field...
    It is not "too much" being made of the views when you consider that the city council even felt that there was no need for another large hotel in a 1/4 mile quare area. Before the Hilton was built, there already was the Marriotti Inner Harbor, Rennaisance Hotel, Sheraton Inner Harbor, Intercontinental Hotel, and the Hyatt Regency. Every one of those hotels is within a 1/4 mile of OPCY and their was no URGENT need for ANOTHER large hotel to be built. There are other locations they could have built the 700 room Hilton. This lack of good reason for its construction was magnified even more by the fact that the Bromo Seltzer Tower is a Baltimore landmark and had become a fixture outside the ballpark. I am in agreement with you about the fact that you should not stunt economic growth to protect something that you "like." That being said, allowing the building of the hotel on the vacant lot was poor judgement by the city and allowing it to completely block the Tower was poor design by the architect. Even if it had been tapered or set back to allow a partial view of the tower, fans were willing to accept that.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast