Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BC Place Stadium - Vancouver BC

BC Place Stadium - Vancouver BC

BC Place Stadium is a really big stadium in Vancouver. It was originally made for baseball, and an MLB team was soon going to come to Vancouver as an expansion. But, a few exhibition games were played there first, and the outfielders really didn't like it, because on a high pop-fly, they couldn't see the ball because of the bright white dome. So, now the BC Lions play at BC Place, a Canadian Football League team. Quite a few years ago now, a few MLB exhibition games were played at BC Place, they just changed the field a bit.

It would be great if there was another MLB exhibition game at BC Place! I would definetely go to the game!!!!!!!!

I don't really see what was so bad about BC Place's dome, and the Minnesota Twins' dome???

~~Tyler~~
    ~~Peace~~
    Minor League Teams fan!
    Favourite baseball teams....

Oakland Athletics - MLB
    Vancouver Canadians - Northwest League
    Venados de Mazatlan - Mexican Pacific League
    Winnipeg Goldeyes - Northern League (independent)
    University of British Columbia Thunderbirds- NAIA
    ~~Tyler~~

Quote Originally Posted by baseball_in_hel*
    I don't really see what was so bad about BC Place's dome, and the Minnesota Twins' dome???
    Baseball belongs in the outdoors and on God's green grass. The Metrodome is among the most hated ballparks by fans and the players in all of MLB now that Olympic Stadium is gone.

If BC had built a retractable roof dome like the BOB and the others, There would have been more of a chance for BC to get a team. I would say what happened to the Grizzlies may put BC down on the list. Until then, you may have to trek to Seattle for you MLB fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesteve32
    Baseball belongs in the outdoors and on God's green grass. The Metrodome is among the most hated ballparks by fans and the players in all of MLB now that Olympic Stadium is gone.
    I read that and I doubt the vast majority of folks who make the claim of it being the worst have ever seen a game there.

If BC had built a retractable roof dome like the BOB and the others, There would have been more of a chance for BC to get a team. I would say what happened to the Grizzlies may put BC down on the list. Until then, you may have to trek to Seattle for you MLB fix.
    For expansion, yes. For moving a team, no. It's a ready to use stadium, for one of the teams that are on the short list to move out of their crappy stadiums(Florida, Oakland) it's a place that is very hard to resist.
    Best posts ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Just wondering what seating and dimensions were like for this. Also, anyone have any pictures of baseball in there?

As both RFK Stadium and Tropicana Field now have major league teams playing in them after sitting vacant for years, I don't think there are any more "ready to go" major league sized venues in new markets out there besides B.C. Place and the Superdome. And given the fact Vancouver is arguably not be ready for MLB yet and that Katrina put the kibash on anything happening in New Orleans any time soon, any team that would arguably be looking to relocate somewhere would have an issue as to where to play.

People talk about Las Vegas as a relocation possibility but I can't see Cashman Field being used as a major league venue on a long term basis--it only seats 10,000 and can't be easily and cheaply expanded.

Buffalo and Portland do have larger minor league parks which could plausibly be a temporary venue, I guess, but even those are pretty small.

So the question is, if a team is looking to move, what market would they move and where would they play while the new ballpark is being built?

It doesn't really matter where, because they could just continue to play in their current location until a stadium is built for them, no?
    WAMCO!

Being a huge baseball fan, and living in Vancouver all my life, I could not wait until BC Place opened in 1983.It seemed like MLB was just a few years away! Then when it opened and hosted exhibition games (which were very well attended) it was just a question of the city getting an expansion team or a relocation(The Indians were rumored). By the late 1980's it was getting obvious that it wasn't going to happen soon. The Expos attendance was starting to slide, the Mariners were struggling just a couple of hours South, player salaries were shooting up and the Canadian dollar was worth alot less that the US greenback. Then in 1993 during an exhibition game between Toronto and Seattle, '92 batting champ Edgar Martinez pulled a groin muscle on the turf and Lou Pinella swore that would be the last time they ever went to BC Place for a game.That kind of killed it there for Vancouver.Then the retractable roofs started to show up..then the 'retro parks. BC Place (like the MetroDome) became a symbol of sterility, and what was wrong with cookie cutter , multi purpose stadium.

In terms of building a baseball only stadium, that wont happen in Vancouver. Too many left wing knuckleheads hear.The local professional soccer team (USL, one step below the MLS) had bought land in downtown Vancouver(in a dingy waterfront area). They were going to build a 15,000 seat stadium privately (NO public money ..zero) and build it over some old train yards.They were going to make it accessible for youth soccer, the symphony ..make jobs available for some of the less fortunate people who live in the area etc

There was such an outcry from the whiners and losers(ie the people against everything) .Thankfully the city council showed some spine for once and it got approved.If we can barely get approval for a privately funded stadium, how could we get something MLB standards.I done think it will happen in my lifetime. Oh by the way, it was 330 down the lines, 375 in the power alleys and 400 to CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
    It doesn't really matter where, because they could just continue to play in their current location until a stadium is built for them, no?
    I guess so. Attendance would likely stink to high heavens, I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad MCdonald View Post
    Oh by the way, it was 330 down the lines, 375 in the power alleys and 400 to CF.
    Pretty standard stuff. I'm guessing they had some retractable stands, a la the Metrodome or Joe Robbie, no?

The stands in what would be the right and right center field area are retractable. It looks almost the same as the Metrodown, except it has a standard 12 foot high fence from foul pole to foul pole (No "Hefty Bag" in right ala Minni) .

Quote Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
    I guess so. Attendance would likely stink to high heavens, I would imagine.
    Ya, but the team probably wouldn't be doing that good in that department to begin with if they were looking to move, so...
    WAMCO!

Blog Entries

Pics

LETS GO YANKEES!

On a semi-side note, didn't the roof of this place kind of fall in/deflate recently?
    WAMCO!

One thing on the Grizzlies moving to Memphis from Vancouver( I know this is a baseball forum, not basketball but the issue of fan support in general).. the people of this city got screwed by the NBA.The first three seasons in the NBA the Grizzlies had excellent crowds and the city was supportive despite a horrendous team that averaged 66 losses per year. Year 4 was a players strike, and if their is one thing that pisses off Canadians in general is professional sports strikes(see MLB 1994 strike and what it did to the Jays and the Expos attendance ). Year 5 the team was sold to Willy WallMart (Bill Laurie) who despite trying to hide the truth , had plans to move them to St Louis to the Kiel Center(which he owned with the St Louis Blues hockey team). The situation turned off the fans that year, then the deal was killed by the NBA and Micheal Heisly(callled Heistly in these parts) bought the team, sang the National Anthem at a home game a and promised a long term winner. Within 30 days of the start of the season, he announced that attendance had to pick up substantially or they would be gone.They had only played a handful of home dates vs lousy draws( Atlanta, post Jordan Bulls etc) and the rumours were alive about a move. By Christmas it was over ..they were going to Memphis.Out of 6 years, the last three were either league or team turmoil and people had a bitter taste about the NBA. The MLB in Vancouver...if they had the right facility, it would work...but I wont see it in my lifetime(per my earlier post).

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
    Ya, but the team probably wouldn't be doing that good in that department to begin with if they were looking to move, so...
    I think the Houston Oilers tried doing that after the move to Tennessee was announced while the new stadium in Nashville was being built. It lasted a year--I think they averaged a little over 20,000 per game, which is attricious for the NFL, and they ended up playing in Memphis and at Vanderbilt for two years.

Then again, the Expos continued to play at Olympic Stadium (when they weren't in Puerto Rico) when it was all but a foregone conclusion they were moving out of Montreal, so I guess you can say there is precedent in baseball.
    Last edited by PeteU; 04-11-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanDL3891 View Post

Wow....talk about a virtual spitting image of the Metrodome.

Yes, it did collapse recently. The inflatable roof sprung a huge leak...

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVb4NjUOXg4

Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2pD4h44Xsk

Video 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3O0U9PBKP8
    WAMCO!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
    Wow....talk about a virtual spitting image of the Metrodome.
    The Metrodome, BC Place and RCA Dome in Indianapolis all have fairly similar interiors.

BUMP!!!

Here are some full-page photo spreads of BC Place in the 1983 and 1984 All-Star Game Programs advertising itself to MLB as the place to be for the next round of expansion. The Expos were still one of the best teams in baseball, the Blue Jays had just started to win and this was before the Canadian dollar went south. Expansion to Western Canada was the next logical step.

In July 1983, both the Canadian teams were in First Place at the same time, prompting Sports Illustrated to have this cover story in the 7.18.83 issue.

I remember seeing that issue in the mail like it was yesterday, but it was 24 years ago. How time flies.

1983 All-Star Game Program
    Attached Images Attached Images

Up close of the BC Place Model in baseball configuration.

Open spaces beyond the LF fence (like Candlestick) and the retractable seats in RF (like many other stadiums).

Funny how what was perfectly acceptable (multi-purpose) and state of the art back then is derided now. Same applies to SkyDome in Toronto.

1984 All-Star Game Program

Talks about how the Blue Jays and the Brewers drew over 106,000 for a 3-game exhibition set earlier in the year.

Didn't the White Sox have a AAA team play in there?

Quote Originally Posted by sflnyc View Post
    Up close of the BC Place Model in baseball configuration.

Open spaces beyond the LF fence (like Candlestick) and the retractable seats in RF (like many other stadiums).

Funny how what was perfectly acceptable (multi-purpose) and state of the art back then is derided now. Same applies to SkyDome in Toronto.
    Maybe an exhibition game could be played in BC Place again. First of all, the stadium switched from AstroTurf to FieldTurf, a grass-like surface. In fact, the FieldTurf came from Olympic Stadium (Stade Olympique in French) in Montreal, so maybe BC Place could still have the baseball cutouts on the field.
    Also, I would put another video replay board across from the one that they currently have, plus a LED ring that most stadiums have now.

Second, since I noticed that the field setup was like Candlestick Park (now Monster Park) with an open area behind the left field area, I would either put extra seats in that area or put the team's bullpens behind the fence.

Third, with the right field seats being either retracted or removed in the right field area (like the Metrodome), I figured you could put a high wall in the area (AKA the baggie) or a scoreboard in the fence (like the Blue Blocker at Dolphin Stadium [preferably the hand operated one that the team used to have]).

Finally, with BC Place's baseball setup being a hybrid of the Metrodome and Candlestick (even though it is Monster Park and was 3Com Park), I would have these dimensions (prefered ones in parentheses)

Left Field: 330-335 feet (335)

Left-Center: 365-375 feet (365)

Center Field: 400-410 feet (405, although I did see 407 on the fence when I saw highlights of an exhibition game)

Right-Center: 365-375 feet (375)

Right Field: 325-330 feet (325, although Candlestick had the RF line at 335 and then to 328 to take advantage of Barry Bonds)

Fence Heights:
    Left Field: 9-12 feet (Fence would have a screen so the pitchers in the bullpen can be seen)

Center Field: 9-20 feet (depending on how high off the ground the first row of seats are from the ground)

Right Field: 15-30 feet

If anyone has a seating chart of BC Place in its baseball configuration, let me know and please post it on here.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast