Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cinergy Field / Riverfront Stadium

Cinergy Field / Riverfront Stadium

Yes, I’m starting a picture thread for a couple of the much-maligned cookie cutters (other than Shea Stadium). I’m from NY and love Shea, etc. but we don’t need dozens of threads on NY and other NE stadiums while most of the other parks get ignored. Classic Crosley Field, for example, has only one thread about it with all of 44 responses. Then one hears complaints about NE & East Coast Bias, but then most of the talk on the stadium thread centers in that area. Go figure!

Either way, back on topic…The Cookie Cutters need some love!

First we have Riverfront Stadium.

First Photo is a 1968 shot of the stadium under construction. Notice all the pilings outside of the stadium which would make up the parking garage that surrounded the stadium.

Second photo is of home plate being taken out of Crosley Field. This is only part of Crosley Field that made it into Riverfront Stadium.

Third photo is of Opening Day against Atlanta on 6.30.70. Johnny Bench and Gary Nolan are taking in the opening festivities along with the crowd of 51,050. Notice that the centerfield scoreboard is not yet completed. Also not yet completed is the centerfield stadium club or suite type seating underneath the upper deck.

Fourth photo is from 2001 (from Ballparks.com) after the outfield seats were removed for the construction of the GABP. On a personal side note, this helped me answer a question that I had as a youth as to what would Shea Stadium hold if it was completely encircled like the other cookie cutters and visa versa. Riverfront – in its Shea empty outfield mode – held about 39,000 compared to Shea’s 56,000. That would mean that Shea would have held roughly 76,000 for baseball and 80,000 for football if it was completely enclosed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sflnyc; 10-18-2007 at 04:37 PM.

Riverfront looked much better when it was cut open during it's last year or two.

Grass didn't hurt, either.

Saved?

Busch and Riverfront both closed looking much better than they did coming in. Both had natural grass installed and the view beyond the fences beautified. Obviously, the Riverfront partial demolition was due to the new park being opened, but with a little Disney-like magic it probably could have been resurrected just like the Big A, Royals Stadium, and (to a degree) Dodger Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCropp View Post
    Obviously, the Riverfront partial demolition was due to the new park being opened, but with a little Disney-like magic it probably could have been resurrected just like the Big A, Royals Stadium, and (to a degree) Dodger Stadium.
    But those three were all built as baseball-only stadiums.

Tell me, is:

any worse than GABP? Was it worth several hundred million dollars of Cincinnati/Ohio investment?

Quote Originally Posted by sflnyc View Post
    we donít need dozens of threads on NY and other NE stadiums
    Yes we do. There's nowhere near enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sflnyc View Post
    while most of the other parks get ignored.
    Well that's not right either. We need more threads on all the ballparks.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Oh, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by nymdan9 View Post
    But those three were all built as baseball-only stadiums.
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    Tell me, is:

any worse than GABP? Was it worth several hundred million dollars of Cincinnati/Ohio investment?
    I'd still say GABP is still slightly better. The post-2000 Riverfront was basically Shea Stadium on the Ohio. It still has that unnecessarily rounded feel to it that screams multi-purpose cookie cutter, even after the Bengals left, grass was put in, and the chunk of seats was taken out of the outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by nymdan9 View Post
    Riverfront looked much better when it was cut open during it's last year or two.

We saw a game there when it was like that, the workers had a good view of the game.

I was going through my old desktop and came up with these pics I had store there....

Those "cookie cutter" stadiums would have had much more character if only they were open in the outfield.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

From Flickr user jdhunt

Best parking spot ever. Just watch those foul balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    Tell me, is:

HOK drew up some serious renovation plans for Riverfront at one point, prodded by Marge Schott.

Mrs. Schott's reasoning seemed quaint in the boom-times context of 1997, but would likely be embraced today in a city now up in arms over the commitments made to Paul Brown Stadium.

''We'd be paying for it forever,'' Mrs. Schott said of the bill for two new stadiums, adding, ''I'm a taxpayer, too.''
    http://www.enquirer.com/editions/199...c_stadium.html

I took a bunch of shots on film at the final game. I'll find them and scan them for everyone

Scene from an old-timers softball game held the day after the Reds played their last game at the park. More people turned out for the softball game, because a certain someone wasn't allowed to show his face as the Reds said goodbye.

Dust to dust ...

If you look closely, you can see that a portion of the Riverfront Stadium floodwall was built into the new park. They had to maintain flood protection for the old park during construction, and this was the cheapest solution.

Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post

It actually doesn't look half bad with the outfield cut off. They could have done some renovations and made it into a great ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballman1243 View Post
    It actually doesn't look half bad with the outfield cut off. They could have done some renovations and made it into a great ballpark.
    I agree. I was there in 2001 and saw the potential.

The Reds have little hope for ever being competitive in their new stadium, so they might as well have stayed in Riverfront for the benefit of the tax payers.

I know the economics of MLB wouldn't have allowed for a practical renovation, so I'm just telling it like it is.

Everyone complained about the appearance of the outside of the stadium (boring, drab concrete) but if you look at the outside of GABP..........it really doesn't look THAT much different from old riverfront stadium

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    but if you look at the outside of GABP..........it really doesn't look THAT much different from old riverfront stadium

GABP reminds me of Nats park. Concrete and glass. Both are boring on the outside.

There are better new ballparks, but chalk me up as being someone who doesn't mind that the ballpark faces Kentucky. Not EVERY new stadium HAS to face the city. I somewhat like the tranquility of the hills and what not in the background, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    There are better new ballparks, but chalk me up as being someone who doesn't mind that the ballpark faces Kentucky. Not EVERY new stadium HAS to face the city. I somewhat like the tranquility of the hills and what not in the background, but that's just me.
    Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    HOK drew up some serious renovation plans for Riverfront at one point, prodded by Marge Schott.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/199...c_stadium.html

Did those renderings propose a radical relocation of the plate?

Not sure how all of those big buildings would have been visible beyond the outfield.

Yeah, it appears that this section would have been behind the plate in the new configuration.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast