Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress Energy Park / Al Lang Field / Al Lang Stadium

Progress Energy Park / Al Lang Field / Al Lang Stadium

Couldn't find a separate thread for it, so creating one at spring training time is a good excuse to show these great pics from Metsfan31 on Picasa.

1. waterfront park 1927, boston braves

2. yankees players 1950's, mets players 1969, taking cabs from huggins/stengel field to al lang

some things never change...

if you are talking st. pete baseball, huggins/stengel field has to be mentioned...

the site has been in use for baseball almost continuously since the early 1920's by the yankees, cardinals, braves, mets, orioles and (devil)rays.
    it is still in use for kids, amateur and semi-pro baseball and the lake in the outfield from which an alleged alligator creeped out and scared babe ruth off the field, is still there.

1. huggins & stengel signs

2. huggins, ruppert, ruth / one field training site

3. casey returns, almost same spot as left 50's pix / tim harkness near plate

4. inside of clubhouse / miller huggins field dedication

5. players leaving clubhouse walking to field / inside of clubhouse, not seen - potbelly stove
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul W; 02-27-2010 at 12:37 PM.

the 1st base side clubhouse is still there. it's been partially renovated recently but a few of the original lockers are still there!

these wood lockers go back to the 30's with much baseball history in 'em...

compare the 1930's pix in previous post and the 80's below, not much had changed.

campbell park

when al lang field was rebuilt as al lang stadium, both the cardinals and mets had to play spring games at a local field - campbell park in '76.

anybody have any pix from there?
    Last edited by Paul W; 02-27-2010 at 12:51 PM.

speaking of "clubhouses" in florida, here's a walter iooss pix of sam mcdowell warming up in mckechnie field in bradenton, '74.

that's a real clubhouse, now long gone...

have a ball signed by al lang...

From Mckinleyarchives on flickr.

Berman interviews the returning Kong.
    Last edited by alpineinc; 02-27-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Al Lang Field

Just this past weekend, The Big East vs The Big 10 took place in Pinellas County. Six games were played at Al Lang Stadium. Six games were also played at Jack Russell Stadium (former home of the Phillies),Dunedin Stadium (current home of Blue Jays), Brighthouse Network Field (current home of Phillies), and Naimoli Complex which was also known as Payson Complex and Busch Complex. It was great to have all these teams in both conferences playing on these fields. Tickets were $5 dollars a game or you could pay $10 and see three games a day at anyone of these baseball complex. This was the perfect start to our baseball season since this coming week we will be going to see major league exhibition games.....

1960's pix of cardinals dugout, look how close you could be...
    Last edited by Paul W; 03-14-2010 at 10:28 PM.

one each from a.l. field and a.l. stadium.

again, see the difference of the layout of dugouts and stands...

Everytime I went to al lang stadium I felt like I was in busch II lol
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

pix taken at the mets complex which was later used by the rays in st. pete. i guess that her press agent had a mets connection...

waterfront park, 1930's...

Al Lang Field - 2005 Spring Training Yankees @ Devil Rays

btw - after the construction is was known as a.l. stadium.

st. pete times on the opening...

I know theres a met fan or two on here that would like to see what is going on with Al Lang today. Well now they play minor league soccer on the field and it fits pretty good if you ask me. its the same team that played at seinbrenter field last year, but I think its cheaper to use Al Lang and no one to compete with. Here are a few pics I took from Saturday's game.

The Logo on one of the ramps:

The Field:

Where the cheering squad sits behind the goal:

You can see the shape of the baseball field still sits there under the grass:

Another Shot of the field but this one showing how the outfield shape is still there, so its easy to go back to baseball:

My God does this bare concrete scream cookie cutter area, but at least they have a view and a great overhang:

Finally you can see where they panted the ramps and concourses the green of the soccer team:

I don't know how to feel about this place because it has a great location, great sitlines for spring training, and its got a great cover while having that view. I wish they would bring back baseball here, but with pro ball around the corner and lack of practice fields its doomed imo.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

A great NYT article (at the link) and snippets of audio from the Mets first spring training game broadcast in 1962 from Al Lang Field - 50 years ago today - including Howard Cosell (!) interviewing Gil Hodges!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/10/sp...r=2&ref=sports

Edit: Adding direct YT "video" of the first game audio. Short, but very interesting. Imagine if Cosell did the Mets pregame throughout the '60's? He'd have a word or two about the lovable losers, lol.

Last edited by alpineinc; 10-21-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Stan Musial at Waterfront Park, the precursor to Al Lang, in spring training 1942, wearing his old...number 19?

Musial-minors-800.jpg

Check out this blog post and comments, detailing the research involved to pin down the date of this photo, with none other than BBF coming to the rescue (they shoulda came here first, lol)! Interesting reading for baseball research buffs (like myself).

http://thecardinalnationblog.com/201...wear-number-6/

from post #5, campbell park just south of the dome being prepped for the '76 spring training.
    broadcasters doing a few games that year sounded like they were in the stands and probably were...
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

In the Staub pics at the very top of this page, it reminded me that for the 1975 season he switched from #4 to #10 (which he wore in Montreal of course)...but I dont recall what the reason for the switch was. Was it because he always wanted #10, but it was used by Dyer until he was traded to Pirates following the '74 season. Was #10 avail because Dyer was traded, so he grabbed it? I always thought the switch was related to the acquisition of Kingman for the 1975 season. Kingman wore #4 in spring training and then switched to #26 for the start of the season. If anyone can shed some light I would appreciate.

You are correct, Staub reclaimed #10 as soon as it was available. Kingman was assigned #4 but switched to his preferable #26 before the start of the season, the only number he'd wear as a Met.

Unfortunately, Yogi below wouldn't last the season, but as most of us recall, Kingman had 2 pretty good years as a Met in 1975-1976, and was an All-Star in '76. I remember well his quest for the home run record that year, and he was ahead of Ruth's 60 HR pace and Hack Wilson's NL record 56 HR pace when he tore up his thumb at Shea on July 19th. Typical Mets, lol.

king75_zpseaeeb204.jpg

Wow, that article you attached nailed my question spot on! Perfect, thanks.
    Wonder why Kingman wasnt simply issued #26 in spring training?

On a similar note, why did Kingman initially have #5 his second time around with Mets, when he wore #26 again? The #5 may have been another spring training/temporary issue.

I believe he never wore a number other than #26 for any regular-season game for the Mets.

I know he was #10 for Cubs, Angels, and A's, and #26 for Giants, Mets, and Padres.

I dont know what # he was for the Yanks.
    Last edited by Kentonio; 02-04-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    ...Kingman was assigned #4...
    maybe herb norman thought that a single digit was all kong could remember
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

kranepool & family at the payson complex...
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast