Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Angel Stadium of Anaheim / Edison Field / Anaheim Stadium

Angel Stadium of Anaheim / Edison Field / Anaheim Stadium

Here are some pics of Anaheim Stadium, now Angel Stadium, as it is being built and the early days of the stadium. Notice the surrounding areas, a lot different today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the almost completed stadium. Baseball only facility with symetrical dimentions.
    Last edited by Bluesteve32; 01-22-2006 at 09:02 AM.

The stadium in 1966 with the Big A scoreboard.

Way before the 57 Freeway was completed in the mid 1970s, notice the orange groves.

Original front entrace at the Big A.

The offices from the other dirsction at sunset.

An arial view of a packed Anaheim Stadium, rare in those days.

Another construction photo:

A historic even at the Big A, Ryan's 383'rd K on the Big A scoreboard.

Another Ryan Specialty:

Anahiem for baseball 1980-1996/

See the cheeap repleacemnt for the Big A scoreboard!

Opening Day 2005. Notice the differences.

Front of sadium today, but now Angel Stadium. Notice the old Big A scoreboard, now a message borad for the 57 Freeway at the far right of the pic.

Big A, last season after a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisox73
    Great pics there Bluesteve. Keep up the great work.

When they dismantled the old football seats,I had hoped that they would have brought back some form of the original big A scoreboard,that gave the stadium its identity in the first place.
    I believe a lot of fans were hopeing for something similar and from what I understand, Disney looked into it, but the cost was prohibitive and the technology is much different today.

Another thing, when they moved the Big A to its present location, it was structually unsafe for a while and they had to shore it up to get it operative as a message board for comming events. It also does its original job of lighting up everytime the Angels win. Many of us lodtime Angel fans still can hear Dick Enberg say after a win, "The Halo shines tonight!" Of course current bradcaster Rory Markus' sign off after a win is "Just another Halo vicotory." That was very sweet after game 7 to hear Rory say that as I turned on the radio just to catch him say it.

Looking at the multipurpose version of Angel Stadium or Anaheim Stadium, and comparing it to todays Angel Stadium, you can see the likenesses of both and the main parts that were renovated. The tall wall in right used to be seating for football, just like the metrodome. Part of the batters eye were also seats at one point. The Left Field Family Pavillion had two levels and so on. But I must say, to make a baseball stadium into a multipurpose and back, they did a great job on Angel Stadium. I love going to the games over the summer. It's always a nice soothing atmosphere.
    Last edited by Guerrero Mad Man 2715; 01-22-2006 at 09:30 PM.
    "The AL Team representing Orange County" - Joe Buck "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim near the Arrowhead Pond, south of Santa Barbera" - Dan Patrick "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of USA...near San Juan Capistrano" - Peter Gammons...Chris Berman

The views of Orange County suburbia are superior

I personally think that the view of the 57 isn't that bad. To me, it makes things feel modern. Other than the Coors Billboard, I love the scenery. The pic below is Angel Stadium pregame in 2005.
    Last edited by Guerrero Mad Man 2715; 01-22-2006 at 09:34 PM.
    "The AL Team representing Orange County" - Joe Buck "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim near the Arrowhead Pond, south of Santa Barbera" - Dan Patrick "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of USA...near San Juan Capistrano" - Peter Gammons...Chris Berman

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero Mad Man 2715
    Looking at the multipurpose version of Angel Stadium or Anaheim Stadium, and comparing it to todays Angel Stadium, you can see the likenesses of both and the main parts that were renovated. The tall wall in right used to be seating for football, just like the metrodome. Part of the batters eye were also seats at one point. The Left Field Family Pavillion had two levels and so on. But I must say, to make a baseball stadium into a multipurpose and back, they did a great job on Angel Stadium. I love going to the games over the summer. It's always a nice soothing atmosphere.
    Actually, the seats in left were the former endzone seats with a bit of modification and addition of the bullpens. The right field seats, the former "Wally World," are basically the same seats and the football seat used to retract from undereath and get pulled out, like a basketball gym's seats for the Lambs games. The club level seats, which beacme boxes in the first modification in 1980, were even sweetened up in the recent renovation, the football pressbox was totally removed, press box enlarged, the box homeplate seats were made part of the Diamond Club, and the batter's eye were former football seats, that used to have a tarp for baseball and the vines growing up the wall in centerfield. The rockpile was also added in that area. I am not a big fan of the rockpile, but the kids love it, for the fireworks (thank you Bill Veeck).

Put some stands in center field and layed off the smoke bombs and fireworks and The Big A would be fine

BUMP

I’ve looked through some old threads trying to find stadiums that aren’t commonly discussed. I have some pictures that I would like to post for all to see and enjoy, and here we have the original Anaheim Stadium I’ve thoroughly enjoyed some of the pictures and personal photographs that other members have contributed to the site.

Here are two photos, the first of which is from May 7, 1966 against the Yankees with a sell-out crowd of 42,851 on hand. Roger Maris is at bat in the Top of the 2nd Inning against lefty Marcelino Lopez. The second one is a color photo from either the 1960's or 1970's. SoCal experts could probably tell when the words "Anaheim Stadium" appeared on the back of the "Big A" scoreboard, as they were not seen on one of the earlier photos posted.

Photo in the 1980's after the football seats were added. Original "Big A" scoreboard is off in the parking lot.

When one looks at Anaheim football set-up closely, it looks as though it literally followed the model of Candlestick Park's 1972 expansion. The retractable sideline seats on the other side from the Press Box were closest to the football field (baseball centerfield) and went further away as you approached the other endzone, leaving a "dead spot" of seats in the RF corner field level). Both main scoreboards were in the LF area/endzone. I have a postcard of Candlestick in football form from the exact same angle but didn't think about it until I was posting this message.

They really did a good job with the Angel Stadium renovations. I was there over the summer, and the place really does feel like the other new parks inside. The outfield area looks just as good if not better than the other new parks, because the dimensions are a result of what's left of the football renovations. It looks even better with the left field video board now. It would have been great to see the Big A back where it belongs, but even without that they did a great job on the place, and the fans are great out there too
    1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

They should have kept the big A scoreboard that was awesome!! That would look so cool in Left field! Too bad the orange groves had to go as well thats a real let down.
    39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
    2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast