Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comerica Park

Comerica Park

Well, here are a couple from this weekend's trip. If it makes you feel better, Donald, you don't have to look.

These are the statues in left field, and their (retired) numbers beneath.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the statue of Willie Horton (these are from behind)

The legend beneath the Horton statue reads thusly:

statue of Cobb sliding:

(behind him are Greenberg, Gehringer and Newhouser pitching, and Kaline's glove in the air)
    Last edited by 2Chance; 06-27-2006 at 04:11 AM.

and the legend beneath Cobb says:

It got more and more difficult to get pictures down that row, but here's one of Gehringer, Newhouser kicking and ready to fire in the background, and a shameless GM display including a Tahoe. General Motors erected a fountain in center field that sprays for hometown home runs, and has their name in huge blue letters. (Right)
    Last edited by 2Chance; 06-27-2006 at 04:17 AM.

Greenberg's Legend, but no statue pic this year

In the concourse, they have displays of each decade and some other items of interest. This is Ty Cobb's bat and uniform.

Louisville Slugger began making bats in 1884. In 1905, Pittsburgh Pirate great Honus Wagner became the first player whose signature appeared on a Louisville Slugger bat followed by Napoleon Lajoie of the Cleveland Indians, and Ty Cobb from Detroit. Since then over 7,700 signatures have appeared on Louisville Sluggers and over 70 percent of players today use them. Like current major leaguers, Cobb’s contract with the bat company gave him free bats for his endorsement. With a league-leading lifetime batting average of .367, Cobb is Louisville Slugger’s greatest slugger.

Here's that infamous monster-sized scoreboard in left field

Blog Entries
    I obviously like Tiger Stadium and want it to stay up, but I believe that Comerica Park has cool features of its own. Sure, it's not perfect, but it has something to offer on the table. It's not a "toilet bowl" by any means. Good pics.

can i add a few pics?

in 1974(?) my dad saw his last pro baseball game. it was "at the corner"...

in 1984 i saw my last Tiger game. the AL East Penant game against the Milwaukee Brewers (who LOST)...

i saw a Giants game at the 'stick in '89(?) when i was in Cali in the Air Force...

i convinced my dad to go to the new 'old ballyard' for a game on Memorial Day. while we saw the Yankees beat the Tigers, we had a good time. i was afraid of what i had seen in the paper back when the new stadium was being built. LOONG flat seating, a far far way from the field. the more upright stadiums were by far the better design for watching the game (not for riding a carousel or a ferris wheel!) but the CoPa actually was a good looking place...

here are a few pics i took that day...

i bought 'best available' on the Tigers (MLB) website and got 1st baseline side Club Seats. these are right on the face of the upper deck. we were in the 3rd row (last of the lower 3) and based on the pictures, i would say we had a good view of things...

david

ps i registered JUST SO i could comment on the CoPa, and to say I LOVE BRIGGS (oops! i mean TIGER) STADIUM

Detroit Tigers.

Comerica is obviously no Tigers Stadium, but it does look pretty sweet and i want attened a game there someday
    Cubs: World Champs 2007?

Thumbs down comerica park

Quote Originally Posted by ivylover
    Comerica is obviously no Tigers Stadium, but it does look pretty sweet and i want attened a game there someday
    You can go to the comerica park i will not be going to it until the day that the wrecking ball comes to tear comerica park down.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Welcome to the Fever, Lt. Dave!

Can you post some pictures? I'll say! And those are nice! I was just hoping to get the ball rolling. Hopefully other threads will pop up and we can see other "non-stock" ballpark pictures in this forum too.
    "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
    --Bob Feller

Beautiful park. The scoreboard seems a little too far tucked back in left and the seats seem to have a pretty gradual slope. And I don't like how they moved the fences in. But it's a wonderful park. Very underrated. Great Pics.

Nice BILLboard. That scoreboard is horrible compared to parks like Turner and Jacobs Field. It's got 3 tiny board amidst 4,548 ads. Hopefully they'll get a new modern scoreboard soon.

Nice pics.

Very nice pictures. Seems like a pretty nice park. Nothing compared to Fenway though.

Thought it would be intresting to compare Tiger Stadium with Comerica. (I dont think it will work though)

I personally like Tigers Stadium more.

Ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by redbuck
    Beautiful park. The scoreboard seems a little too far tucked back in left and the seats seem to have a pretty gradual slope. And I don't like how they moved the fences in. But it's a wonderful park. Very underrated. Great Pics.
    There is a old saying that says that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.and this beholder says that this is one ugly stadium.to each his or her opinion.

photos

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxVT92
    Very nice pictures. Seems like a pretty nice park. Nothing compared to Fenway though.

Thought it would be intresting to compare Tiger Stadium with Comerica. (I dont think it will work though)
    I like the tiger stadium photo better.

Sweet Pics.

I was there in 2002. I'm going to head back there sometime this summer.

Nice ballpark.
    The Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing.

Found a Detroit travelogue with Comerica and the Tigers prominently featured:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...06568466520477
    "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
    --Bob Feller

Quote Originally Posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
    There is a old saying that says that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.and this beholder says that this is one ugly stadium.to each his or her opinion.
    No, this is just because you refuse to even attempt to accept anything that isn't old. There's a difference between honoring the past and being completely infatuated by it, and ignoring anything new.

I guess my point is, if you don't even attempt to like anything new, why even comment on it?

Yankeebiscuitfan Guest
    Nice pictures 2chance. You had great seats overthere.

Nice Pics

I didn't realize Ford Field was next door.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast