Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chase Field / Bank One Ballpark

Chase Field / Bank One Ballpark

As a D-Backs fan since day 1, I've been to Chase Field/Bank One Ballpark all these years. And even though it's home to my favorite MLB team, the stadum is a bit bland. I was wondering what you guys think of the stadium, and if there is anything you would change about the stadium. I would like to see a more asymetrical outfield, but the pool remains. What do you think?

Yes I've taken photos there. If you want, I'll post my favories.

I'm a D'Backs fan since '98, although I live in NJ. I'd dress up the concourses more, open up the outfield area making it more like Citi Field and get rid of the advertising panels in the outfield and make them glass (although they'd still open). To replace the advertising panels, I'd integrate the sponsorships into areas of the ballpark. Above the AZ Diamond Club restaurant in right put a "US Airways Flight Deck" and have a neon US Airways sign and like first class seats from the planes and make it into a deck like the Budweiser terrace in right at Fenway. Then do similar things with the other sponsors that would be relocated. Also I'd repaint the roof because you can see where they covered up the old BOB signs.

More extremely, I'd knock out the center field and make it appear more open to Downtown. Knock down the Garagemahal and develop that land.

photos.... All are from Flickr

(courtesy of "KPOB". link)

(courtesy of "lasertrimman". link)

(courtesy of "Gary P. Smith". link)

(courtesy of "Lohawk.com". link)

Last edited by brewerfan386; 06-20-2010 at 11:52 PM.
    Ik heb een intense liefde voor de brouwers

I don't think a more asymmetrical outfield would work in Chase Field. The ballpark structure is symmetrical, and it would look strange to not have the field mirror it.

The fault with this place is that there's not much that screams 'Arizona' or 'snakes' or 'desert.' One thing I would like to see them do is add some color to the place. It's pretty dark and depressing as it is in there. Maybe a dark red wall would add some team colors to the place, or maybe a sandstone-colored backstop. There's too much dark green in the outfield. Otherwise, this is an excellent place to see a game in air conditioned comfort (We sure are jealous of that around here)

When I was there, the old scoreboard looked really bad, but they put the new one in next year. One thing I like is scoreboards with big team logos on the top (i.e. Nationals Park, Turner Field, Coors Field), and there's really no prominent D-backs logo in the entire place
    1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Seems like they employed the same prideless policy that the Mets ownership did with Citifield.

Love the huge outfield and the overhangs in center.
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

At the risk of sounding like an old fuddy-duddy, what's the point of the pool in the outfield? I mean, who comes to the ballpark in a bathing suit? Is it only for private parties, or can anyone use it? I guess you gotta have a gimmick, and the pool is a good gimmick, since every time you see a game there, the visiting team's announcers make reference to it, but judging by how small it is, there can't be more than a handful of fans who ever use it.

I agree with marlins739 above. You've got a team that really has something unique in baseball in the form of the desert surroundings, and you've got nothing but generic green seats, green walls, green metalwork, etc. The stands in the far corner outfields seem to disappear into the gloaming. There's no notion that this park is in Arizona. Heck, a cactus or two would be nice.

Congratulations to Robinson Cano on winning the Home Run Derby with a real fireworks show. Can't wait to see the All-Star game tomorrow!!

Robinson Cano electrified the BOB with his home runs like Luis Gonzalez did with a single nearly ten years ago:

Last edited by JohnCropp; 07-12-2011 at 05:23 AM.

Here are some more images from the last time Phoenix was the center of the baseball universe:

Last edited by JohnCropp; 07-12-2011 at 05:30 AM.

This would . . . be my favorite ballpark, if I lived there. But I don't . . .so? . . .
    Some's basturds, some's ain't, thats the score.

Doesn't impress me at all. I hate ballparks that look like very large convention halls from the outside.

Does this look like a building that hosts Major League Baseball games?

Last edited by Coach Bombay; 07-12-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyPipp View Post
    At the risk of sounding like an old fuddy-duddy, what's the point of the pool in the outfield? I mean, who comes to the ballpark in a bathing suit? Is it only for private parties, or can anyone use it? I guess you gotta have a gimmick, and the pool is a good gimmick, since every time you see a game there, the visiting team's announcers make reference to it, but judging by how small it is, there can't be more than a handful of fans who ever use it.
    I'll be one to admit I love the idea of the pool. Two of my favorite summer past times--swimming and baseball, all rolled into one. It's like the Seinfeld episode where George tries to introduce the concept of sex and eating at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by marlins739 View Post
    The fault with this place is that there's not much that screams 'Arizona' or 'snakes' or 'desert.' One thing I would like to see them do is add some color to the place. It's pretty dark and depressing as it is in there. Maybe a dark red wall would add some team colors to the place, or maybe a sandstone-colored backstop. There's too much dark green in the outfield. Otherwise, this is an excellent place to see a game in air conditioned comfort (We sure are jealous of that around here)
    I agree, it needs more color to represent the area and team. If you look at the Chase Field logo, it incorporates a burnt red color framework. I would paint all the metal framework in the stadium that same color red. I would also make the outfield wall black and then the backstop should be desert colored stones similar to what is by the pool area. I would also use those stones on the two concrete sections currently painted green that flank the scoreboard and are above the yellow home run line in the outfield.

I like the idea of replacing the outfield ads with windows, but that is a major source of revenue. I would like to see them convert it to windows, but use a large decal for the ad. That way you can still see out the most of the window and still get the corporate logo's.

The place is huge. Chase Field seats more than 49k, way too big for that market. I would probably take a few rows of seats out in the upper deck.
    Last edited by mdseverin; 07-12-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdseverin View Post
    I agree, it needs more color to represent the area and team. If you look at the Chase Field logo, it incorporates a burnt red color framework. I would paint all the metal framework in the stadium that same color red. I would also make the outfield wall black and then the backstop should be desert colored stones similar to what is by the pool area. I would also use those stones on the two concrete sections currently painted green that flank the scoreboard and are above the yellow home run line in the outfield.

I like the idea of replacing the outfield ads with windows, but that is a major source of revenue. I would like to see them convert it to windows, but use a large decal for the ad. That way you can still see out the most of the window and still get the corporate logo's.

The place is huge. Chase Field seats more than 49k, way too big for that market. I would probably take a few rows of seats out in the upper deck.
    Noticed this last night, the upper deck is huge.

I've only been there one time, but that one time was the first official game ever played there, March 31, 1998. I sat in the last row of the upper deck, and that is a really large upper deck. My ticket stub shows that I was in row 32 which was quite a hike up those stairs.

I'd love to go back and see how the ballpark has changed. It has gone through a name change and a change in the team's color scheme, so I would imagine that the changes are quite extensive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rockies fan living in Texas

Incredible boring exterior.

The concourse areas were nicely done up in the new Sedona Red color. The year I was there was the first year of the new uniforms, and they really embraced it. Wasn't the roof originally bright white? It looks like it could use a fresh coat.

Is this the biggest upper deck ever in baseball? How many rows did RYS have up there?

Maybe the Marlins' backstop fish will inspire the D-backs to do the same. How about a glass tank full of rattlesnakes to scare the visitors?
    1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

From personal experience, I can tell you that the seats above the lights at SkyDome are no joke!

Last edited by JohnCropp; 07-12-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marlins739 View Post
    How many rows did RYS have up there?
    Tier Reserved at Yankee Stadium were lettered rows. I sat in the last row once, my ticket says row X. So around 24 in reserved. Tier Box may have been another 10 rows. 34-36 total?

Don’t forget The Vet………

Blog Entries
    Kind of disheartening to think that arizona got a team the same year as tampa, but they get to host an all star game and Tampa will never get one in the trop.

That being said, It's only the 2nd fully working retractable roof stadium in baseball so they did a better job than the original one, the blue jays did with Skydome. I guess being one sport focused helped with that. I wish they had more glass, but like some have already more color would help this place the most. I'm still shocked they went away from the most arizona like colors to the most overused colors in sports.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Kind of disheartening to think that arizona got a team the same year as tampa, but they get to host an all star game and Tampa will never get one in the trop.

That being said, It's only the 2nd fully working retractable roof stadium in baseball so they did a better job than the original one, the blue jays did with Skydome. I guess being one sport focused helped with that. I wish they had more glass, but like some have already more color would help this place the most. I'm still shocked they went away from the most arizona like colors to the most overused colors in sports.
    I could not disagree more.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCropp View Post
    I could not disagree more.
    Bank One was definitely a step up from Skydome. Real grass, baseball only...it wasn't perfect by any stretch, but I think it was a clear improvement over Skydome. In my opinion, Skydome--by its very name--shares more in common with fixed domes like the Kingdome, Astrodome, etc., than it does with the next generation retractable parks, which seem more like baseball parks that happen to have a roof that can be placed over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    MLB should just suck it up and award Tampa Bay an all star game some time in the next decade, Trop or not. The game will be sold out and fans will have a great time whether it's in the Trop or some shining new palace, so what really is the difference in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
    Bank One was definitely a step up from Skydome. Real grass, baseball only...it wasn't perfect by any stretch, but I think it was a clear improvement over Skydome. In my opinion, Skydome--by its very name--shares more in common with fixed domes like the Kingdome, Astrodome, etc., than it does with the next generation retractable parks, which seem more like baseball parks that happen to have a roof that can be placed over it.
    I'll give you the real grass. Other than that...

Just because the local football team plays somewhere else doesn't mean that the D-Backs get a "Baseball Only" badge for their ballpark. Their centerfield is as jacked up as the A's.

Opinions are what they are, but SkyDome looks like a futuristic ballpark to me while Chase Field looks like a baseball field in a Sam's Club.

(With a pool).
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 07-15-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast