Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Progressive Field / Jacobs Field

Progressive Field / Jacobs Field

I ran a search and I couldn't find a true thread dedicated to this wonderful ballpark. I've never been a fan of the exterior but the interior screams "baseball." The addition of Heritage Park several years ago was a great touch as well. Been in awe of the massiveness of the scoreboard ever since I was a kid. As for the name, it's still Jacobs Field to me.

Did they bring in the CF wall? I remember it being 405', but now it reads 400'.

I've never been there, but the Heritage Park looks really nice. Kind of a Monument Park type feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    Did they bring in the CF wall? I remember it being 405', but now it reads 400'.
    Honestly I'm not sure...they may have to make room for the bar and Heritage Park. It always said 405 but the real furthest distance was 410.

And Joost...I think they were going for the Monument Park type feel as well. I've never been to Monument Park but based on pictures that's what it reminds me of.
    Last edited by Ammo; 06-09-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Now if they could only redo Eckersley's stone to say he threw 22 consecutive HITLESS innings
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Hey guys...I don't post here but I sure do read a lot, and look at a lot of the Yankee Stadium pics. Anyway, I took an 8 game baseball stadium road trip with a buddy of mine last year, and one of my favorite pics happens to be of the scoreboard at Progressive. Also, does anyone else know about the crazy hot dog vendor who works there?

Quote Originally Posted by phishstics View Post
    Also, does anyone else know about the crazy hot dog vendor who works there?
    Which crazy one?
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

looks like a great park, never been there

I think it's a pretty nice stadium too. The only thing I might complain about a little is the stacks of luxury boxes that ring around the stadium in the middle. That doesn't look very "basebally" to me. Also, the light towers look a little too futuristic or something. I like the ones that are black or dark green metal and look like they were built in the olden days. But those are minor complaints.

Last edited by Seattle1; 06-09-2009 at 01:34 PM.

The light towers are supposed to replicate smokestacks. This is to honor Cleveland's industrial past.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff1961 View Post
    The light towers are supposed to replicate smokestacks. This is to honor Cleveland's industrial past.
    GABP has lights like that. Is that an Ohio thing? They look like toothbrushes

Quote Originally Posted by Griff1961 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Mystery (to me anyway) solved.

I was there on 5/31 to see the Yankees play. Very nice ballpark, I ranked it just above The Cell in Chicago. I will post pictures on this thread when I get the chance to.

Heritage Park was really nice, I hope the Mets look at that for ideas for a Mets Hall Of Fame.

Strickland's Frozen Custard is phenomenal.

Just can't stand the seagulls that bomb during the game.
    14 Ballparks Visited Total, 7 visits slated for 2010.

[Shea] - [Yankee] - [Chase] - [Angel] - [Citizens Bank] - [US Cellular] - [Miller] - [Wrigley]

[Citi] - [Fenway] - [Progressive] - [PNC] - [Oriole Park At Camden Yards] - [Oakland Coliseum]

I thought the lights were to remind fans to brush their teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    I thought the lights were to remind fans to brush their teeth.
    haha I could see colgate picking up an ad or something in a few years. Could you imagine? COLGATE running down the side of the light poles!

The seagull "bombings" are a seasonal thing. They appear when the midges (little bugs) appear around Memorial Day for a week or two. Ask Joba Chamberlain about the bugs from '07. The gulls have a virtual all-you-can-eat buffet with them and then disappear.

Heritage Park is my favorite part of the park- two levels- one for Indians in Cooperstown and the other for the Indians "own" HOF. This years inductees are Bill Veeck, Dick Jacobs (who just passed last week) along with Sandy Alomar. Also there is a plaque commemorating Ray Chapman that hung originally at League Park and was found last year in a storage room at the ballpark (no, really).

I agree with folks on the stack-O-loges but it generated a lot of cash for a lot of years from corporate types. Alas, many of them are empty now and the coffers are a little bare.
    Thanks for the compliments on the scvoreboard. Those of us who work on it are proud of the show.
    Go Tribe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    Which crazy one?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upN9-EW-yQw

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeshade View Post
    The seagull "bombings" are a seasonal thing. They appear when the midges (little bugs) appear around Memorial Day for a week or two. Ask Joba Chamberlain about the bugs from '07. The gulls have a virtual all-you-can-eat buffet with them and then disappear.
    Yeah, I met the midges first hand during my trip. They were terrible on Saturday, but Sunday + Monday they were less of a factor.

[Shea] - [Yankee] - [Chase] - [Angel] - [Citizens Bank] - [US Cellular] - [Miller] - [Wrigley]

[Citi] - [Fenway] - [Progressive] - [PNC] - [Oriole Park At Camden Yards] - [Oakland Coliseum]

I miss the days when this place would sell out constantly.

The park's feel is vastly different with the stadium half-full. I try to go when I know the attendance at the stadium will be good. I'm sure that's the same at any ballpark though, but the 455 consecutive sellouts are part of the fabric of this park's history.

Quote Originally Posted by VekterNYM View Post
    I was there on 5/31 to see the Yankees play. Very nice ballpark, I ranked it just above The Cell in Chicago.
    What parks have you seen?

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    What parks have you seen?
    I've seen my home parks: Shea, Old Yankee, and Citi Field.
    Visited Chase Field, Angel Stadium, Citizens Bank, US Cellular, Miller Park, Wrigley Field, Fenway, Progressive and PNC.

Next week, I hope to see the Mets play at Camden Yards - then in July see them in DC.

My top 3 are Fenway, Wrigley, PNC...for now.

Quote Originally Posted by VekterNYM View Post
    Next week, I hope to see the Mets play at Camden Yards
    Prepare yourself for a treat

<My top 3 are Fenway, Wrigley, PNC...for now.>

Until next week

I think this place is significant in that it pioneered the disgusting maneuver of hogging most of the stadium's prime space for luxury boxes and leaving only a puny upper deck for the peasants.

When Nationals Park opened, an interesting article appeared in the Washington Post lamenting what ballparks had become:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2008033002035

This Diamond Isn't a Gem

By Philip Kennicott
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Monday, March 31, 2008; Page C01

...As people circulate through the stadium's public spaces, where beer can cost $7.50 and the cheapest hot dog is $4.50, the human traffic flow unifies the two central purposes of the building: baseball and the fleecing of baseball audiences. This circulating motion wrings money out of you like wet laundry on the spin cycle.

It's hard not to focus on the economic aspects of this architecture, because so many of the unfortunate architectural decisions are essentially economic decisions. The ballpark -- like most shopping malls, airports, sports facilities and, alas, many new museums -- belongs to what we might call the architecture of distraction. We don't tend to think of these buildings in architectural terms, as having form or line, balance or symmetry, shape or presence. Rather, it's all about program, circulation and keeping boredom at bay. The public judges these structures in terms of their amenities, their bathrooms, their cleanliness and their overall convenience.

Ballparks look like shopping malls -- functional, cheap and cluttered with branding -- because the cities that build them are forced to design structures that will maximize the profits of baseball owners. Architectural seriousness is not among the priorities.

And so the dreary list goes on. The interior spaces, accessible only to the public that can afford more expensive seats, are covered in carpeting that looks as if it came out of a Courtyard by Marriott. The private boxes are so generic in their fittings and finish, they remind one of the inside of a recreational vehicle. Look out of one of the elevator lobbies on the top ring and you see the exposed mechanicals on the roof of the team's corporate offices, a forest of metal junk.

All that for $611 million in public money. We have been trained to treat our sports teams, the industry behind them and the architecture that contains them with a grim sense of fatalism. Of course stadiums must be bigger. Of course the social space of an egalitarian sport will be distorted into a rigorous hierarchy of wealth and exclusivity.

As I see it, Jacobs Field was a trailblazer in this horrible movement.

Why have the corporate types abandoned it anyway?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I think this place is significant in that it pioneered the disgusting maneuver of hogging most of the stadium's prime space for luxury boxes and leaving only a puny upper deck for the peasants.

As I see it, Jacobs Field was a trailblazer in this horrible movement.

Why have the corporate types abandoned it anyway?
    Hold the phone...so you're upset about the club level and the "stacks of suites." Something you MUST remember...

-The Indians had a raw deal with Art Modell in Cleveland Stadium...they saw an opportunity to use their new stadium to get competitive quick and they took it...can't fault them there.

-The upperdeck is still not that bad...at least it's not that split-deck crap you see in the most recent parks.

-Despite the suites and restaurant in left field...this park is NOT overly commercial and gimmicky...there's a lot of "baseball feel" to it.

The reason why corporate types have abandoned the park is because the 90's are over and Cleveland has been in a decade long recession...plus the Browns are back.

Why would a peasant want the upper deck when they can get lower bleachers near the LF foul pole or lower boxes on special for under $20?
    Also, they're competing for fan $ against the Cavs

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast