Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome

Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome

Notice the swastika in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    Notice the swastika in the middle.
    Whoa... is that a well-known thing?

very well known actually... theres another dome with the same thing somewhere i just cant remember. kinda sucks

Well there are a lot of Germans in Minnesota.

I kid...I kid

IMO, the Metrodome isn't a good baseball stadium. It's a good football stadium though.

Well...no one could ever accuse the Metrodome of being boring, at least not in its own way.

But it will be good to see the Twins get their own place in a few years.

I remember when the Metrodome first went up back in 1982...it was all the rage because it seemed like the "trend" in stadia back then was getting a dome. Now, people are staying away from non-retractable roof domes like the plague.

I'm glad Minneapolis is getting an open-air ballpark. The Metrodome is a good place for football, but terrible for baseball. I don't know what's going on in Minneapolis as far as getting a new stadium for the Vikings, but here's an idea...why now expand and renovate the Metrodome for the Vikes once the Twins move out?
    Follow me on Facebook, or Twitter.

If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

A Uniqeness To Remember Fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
    Well...no one could ever accuse the Metrodome of being boring, at least not in its own way.
    Being no fan of roofs that are permanent and plastic grass, I am glad they are being replaced. In the case of the Metrodome however, I'm kind of sorry to see it leave the baseball scene.

I became a fan & fell in love w/ the Twins the year they finally won it all. What a great team and a great story ! Then came '91 and the most exciting World Series in my lifetime. I actually thought last place could be a permanent reality and they might really get contracted or move. Then they go out and make a season long run at the title ! Every Met fan loves an underdog and this francise is the uber-underdog. They have carved out a legendary narative over the last 20 years.

It all took place at the Metrodome. The TV images of the white hankees is indelable, but the most unique thing was the noise ! I don't know if you midwestern vikings are really the loudest fans in sports, but I do know post season games at the Metrodome were the loudest things I've ever seen on TV ! Don't know what it was like in person but you guys must have had headaches on the way home.

You'll win in the new place. Thats definite. It just will be a little quieter. It'll be like every other team's post season. That alone will give me a soft spot always, and make me miss that place. Big black baggie and all.

Quote Originally Posted by SBBL View Post
    Being no fan of roofs that are permanent and plastic grass, I am glad they are being replaced. In the case of the Metrodome however, I'm kind of sorry to see it leave the baseball scene.

I became a fan & fell in love w/ the Twins the year they finally won it all. What a great team and a great story ! Then came '91 and the most exciting World Series in my lifetime. I actually thought last place could be a permanent reality and they might really get contracted or move. Then they go out and make a season long run at the title ! Every Met fan loves an underdog and this francise is the uber-underdog. They have carved out a legendary narative over the last 20 years.

It all took place at the Metrodome. The TV images of the white hankees is indelable, but the most unique thing was the noise ! I don't know if you midwestern vikings are really the loudest fans in sports, but I do know post season games at the Metrodome were the loudest things I've ever seen on TV ! Don't know what it was like in person but you guys must have had headaches on the way home.

You'll win in the new place. Thats definite. It just will be a little quieter. It'll be like every other team's post season. That alone will give me a soft spot always, and make me miss that place. Big black baggie and all.

Well said SBBL. I too will miss the homer hankies waving in the bright blue seats, the noise, and the electric atmosphere in the playoffs. Minnesotans can certainly be loud, but are also some of the most polite sports fans in the country. Most of us respect the game and the fans around us. Unless they're White Sox fans

So there are some great memories that will be missed at the Dome, but we're ready to start new memories at the new ballpark in 2010. There are generations of Minnesota baseball fans that have never watched an MLB game outside. A lot of Minnesotans also feel inferior because of the Dome. We've watched ballparks get built in almost every city and it's gotten to the point where we are jealous. I am personally embarassed that our team has had to play in that building for so long. It's amazing what a nice ballpark can do for the morale of a community.

One more thing that people might not know about the Dome. There is so much pressure inside from the AC and what not, that when you exit through the revolving doors the pressure literally pushes you outside. It's a weird force that was fun when I was a little kid, even though it was actually pretty dangerous.

One more thing that people might not know about the Dome. There is so much pressure inside from the AC and what not, that when you exit through the revolving doors the pressure literally pushes you outside. It's a weird force that was fun when I was a little kid, even though it was actually pretty dangerous.
    Every time I leave the Dome I make it a point to go out the regular doors (I think it's the regular ones that produce the wind effect instead of the revolving ones). I love getting literally blown out of the stadium -- that's a REALLY strong wind flowing through the doors due to the pressure difference effect. I almost wish they'd set up some sort of artificial wind exit at the new stadium. :-)

BTW, much to my surprise, I felt a similar-yet-reduced wind effect leaving Miller Park after a game this past month. Strange, since it's open-air (the roof doesn't provide a tight seal...and it was open that night, anyway).

I don't like domes or turf for either football or baseball.

As you can imagine, the RCA Dome is the same way. Pretty fun to watch the youngsters.

The final season patch to be worn with the retro's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jl1718 View Post
    The final season patch to be worn with the retro's.
    Wow... I didn't even realize that it was going to be ready by 2010. I was just in Minneapolis photographing the other lesser known stadiums there this summer (the ballpark used for the North Central League and Siebert Field... will both be online by Christmas).

I saw them building a stadium near Siebert Field which was tremendous. What is that going to be? A new football stadium for the school?

Eric
    www.digitalballparks.com
    An online baseball stadium museum featuring over 10,000 ballpark photos

Yes, TCF Bank Stadium, opening Fall '09 for the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

By the way Eric, I love your site at digitalballparks.com.

I bet there will be many fans that end up missing the dome, not for the ugly roof, but the dome dogs, urinal troughs and cheap seat/ upper g.a. section
    Last edited by brewerfan386; 03-04-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Yes, we'll all have a twinge of missing the dome. Two World Series, several division pennants, Kirby and Hrbek, and all that. There were some good years in the dome, and hopefully one more. I still remember walking in there for the first time when I was 8 - that place was HUGE and AWESOME!!! Last summer, the wife and I went to a game with my brother and his two kids (3 and 5), and they seemed to like the place and had a good time. Which, I guess, means kids don't care too much about the "atmosphere" and "game-time experience" as us adults. They just want to have fun.

It's a big inflatable toilet, but it's OUR big inflatable toilet.
    There's no use being pessimistic, it won't work anyways

The dome was good in the 80s when no one knew how to retract and like others have said its good for football. The downside is it's too big for baseball like most multipurpose parks. We also now realize that the weather isn't as bad as people think so they will be fine with open air.

The best part of this place was little big league. My favorite underrated movie in all genres!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

I for one, won't miss that dump of dumps at all. I saw games 1 and 2 of the 1987 AL Championship Series against the Tigers and Games 6 and 7 of the 1991 Wolrd Series against the Braves there. The teams will always be remembered by me, not the dumpy dome. I grew up with Metropolitan Stadium, and have always felt robbed when they moved out if it and into the Dome in 1982. When the day of demolition arrives, I'll be there to light the fuse, with a smile on my face. Can't wait till next year and Target Field, what a joy !!
    Last edited by johnfre; 03-05-2009 at 02:03 PM.

It looks like the baggie will be getting a new sponsor for this season. (replacing dodge)

DiggerODell Guest

May 27, 6th stop on a 7 day, 6 ballpark tour

This is the thread I should have searched for the other night. Hubert Horatio Humphrey, Jr. Metrodome. "Muriel and I have been married for 45 years now and I'm just pleased as punch!" what a guy! Too bad his name was put on a ball park which might have been approached with a little more esteem in the years to come. Say . . like a place like Target . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Digger, are you able to get an aerial of Target Field on Microsoft Virtual Earth?

DiggerODell Guest
    Digger, are you able to get an aerial of Target Field on Microsoft Virtual Earth?
    I was. I did this about the begin of March when my son and I finalized our plans for the trip.

When I was younger, I used to see the Metrodome and that dome on TV and think, "How cool is that?!" baggies and all.

Through the years, I guess I acquired better taste but I will never forget the intensity and noise that came out of that place come World Series time. For all Minnesotans, I'm sure that the Met will leave some great and fond memories. But, in a year, think of the pride and joy you'll all feel when one of the more distinguished parks in all of baseball opens.

I live in Cincy but i'm planning on catching a flight on a random weekend to come up and see the MetroDome in its final year. I think of all the domes, it is the most unique and actually has some character. I have always hated indoor baseball but i hope this place is at least a little exciting. Also, want to catch a St Paul Saints game while in town. Anyone have any advice/suggestions? Thanks!!

G Rizzle

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast