Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogers Centre / SkyDome

Rogers Centre / SkyDome

Well, I haven't seen a real discussion on this ballpark, currently home to the AL Leading Blue Jays..who have been a pleasant surprise.

It's one of the 'oddest' ballparks out there. Caught right between the cookie cutters and then the Campdens of the sort.

Other than the artificial turf, it's a place that isn't too bad. Overall, pretty good sightlines, obviously there's some issues by the foulpoles in the upperdeck, but that's the case in many places.

With a winning team, this place can be electric. Drew 4 million back in the glory days of '92 and '93. And a recent game against the Yankees resulted in that same atmosphere.

Sorry for my crappy pictures, but they'll do the trick

I think these seats would be close to being the highest in the MLB based on homeplate.
    Last edited by go_leafs_go02; 05-18-2009 at 11:02 AM.

its like going to the mall and discovering theres a baseball game/field in the middle of it

Since it's multi purpose... what is the other large draw besides the Blue Jays?
    Twenty Seven

Quote Originally Posted by NYBase View Post
    Since it's multi purpose... what is the other large draw besides the Blue Jays?
    Majority is the Jays. the stadium is owned by the Blue Jays now, and they've done alot to enhance the experience and brightne the place up. It's mainly blue now with the seats and facia.

It also is home to the Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts, it hosts two games a year of the Buffalo Bills. Also does host Monster Jam once a year, and concerts as well. U2 will be playing there in September.

Looks like it is time for a turf upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit12 View Post
    Looks like it is time for a turf upgrade.
    maybe they'll get a full infield like down in tampa. That looks wayyy better then the sliding pits. As of next year, they will be the only team with sliding pits left in baseball, correct?

as far as the bills banners go, I think they are most likely those on-way banners, that way they're not blocking the view of anyone in the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2051 View Post
    maybe they'll get a full infield like down in tampa. That looks wayyy better then the sliding pits. As of next year, they will be the only team with sliding pits left in baseball, correct?

as far as the bills banners go, I think they are most likely those on-way banners, that way they're not blocking the view of anyone in the hotel.
    I'm assuming they were the same as those advertisement wraps that surround city buses and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
    I'm assuming they were the same as those advertisement wraps that surround city buses and stuff.
    I went to Vegas back in January with my wife. We stayed at the Flamingo and it had a wrap of Donnie & Marie. In fact our room was in Maries head over looking the fountains at Caesars. In your room, if you are standing at least 10 feet back, you don't even notice it. But if you get closer than that, your view is obstructed. Also you can only look straight ahead. If you look to your left or right, the scenary gets blurry. Camera shots do even worse. You can forget zooming. These photos will give you and idea of what a "wrap" does to views. I wouldn't be too happy if I paid a premium for one of those rooms at the Rogers Centre hoping to catch a game.

Last edited by bandit12; 05-18-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Does anyone have a view of the stadium from inside the hotel? I'd be interested to see what that looks like.

Does anyone have a view of the stadium from inside the hotel? I'd be interested to see what that looks like.
    I bet Robbie Alomar has some snapshots.

i honestly think it looks better as a bills stadium then the bluejays stadium. how long before the bluejays look to build a 32,000 seat downtwon stadium with a view of the skyline? the turf has to be the ugliest stuff ive seen, they should put in what tampa uses, at least that looks like one price of turf and not thousands of patches, and need an all dirt basepath
    Last edited by GuitarPunk2512; 05-18-2009 at 10:21 PM.
    Lets Go Mets, Jets, Islanders !!!

I remember the home opener, the crowd was 44,000+ and it still looked half empty, I would love to see it at its full compacity
    Stadiums I've Been Too: U.S. Cellular Field, Great American Ballpark, Jacob's Field, Comerica Park.

Quote Originally Posted by whitesox901: View Post
    I remember the home opener, the crowd was 44,000+ and it still looked half empty, I would love to see it at its full compacity

it's an older picture, due to the fact that the facia in front of every level is still concrete grey..instead of the current blue.

SkyDome

This will always be SkyDome, no offense to the departed Mr. Rogers.
    Really, this is basically Riverfront Stadium with a retractable roof and a hotel.

That's weird how they have the railings behind each row of seats. Do any other stadiums have this?

Yeah they need a turf upgrade bad.
    "Obviously, no one wants to fail. But who's to say that failure's not a good thing masked in the wisdom that you can't see at that point? I just try to look at the positive." - Khalil Greene

Quote Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
    That's weird how they have the railings behind each row of seats. Do any other stadiums have this?
    I always thought that was a good idea. I wish more stadiums did that.
    X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by CFmets09 View Post
    wait since when do the bills play 2 games a year there?
    Since last year... I believe the thinking is/was the Bills will move there eventually?
    Check out some demos from my upcoming album: http://www.myspace.com/le_serge

Was actually coming to look for a Rogers Centre thread, as I'll be in Toronto for a wedding in August and the Angels are in town. Does anyone have a favorite section, or places to avoid? Not to speak poorly of the park, but it does have somewhat of a Shea vibe - I imagine sightlines would be similar.

It does have a little Shea vibe from the stadpoint that it was the last dual purpose stadium built. At the time 1989 the CFL was bigger than it is now. Since then NFL rosters have gone from 45 to 53 and the league went from 28 to 32 teams. Thats 330 guys who would have been in the CFL.

There was talk that the Argos would leave for their own stadium on the University of Toronto campus, that would have allowed them to renovate Rogers to be baseball only and improve the sidelines.

And Guitar punk they will not turn around and build a 32K stadium with a view. Canada winters are brutal so it has to be a dome and this is a team that once drew 4 million fans. They won't get to the level but they aren't the Marlins.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Ave View Post
    Was actually coming to look for a Rogers Centre thread, as I'll be in Toronto for a wedding in August and the Angels are in town. Does anyone have a favorite section, or places to avoid? Not to speak poorly of the park, but it does have somewhat of a Shea vibe - I imagine sightlines would be similar.
    I really love the 200 level. I find that the 100 level is alright, but the grade of seating isn't the best..of course, I've only sat there once.

Actually sat in the outfield 200 level right by the right-field foul pole.. I loved those seats. However, those sections aren't always filled, but you can see the view here:

500 level is really really up there, so yeah...baselines in the 200 level, i would look into

don't the blue jays play at the sky dome? or did they get a new stadium too?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    don't the blue jays play at the sky dome? or did they get a new stadium too?
    Nope. The Blue Jays don't play there anymore, they moved to Hamilton, Ontario. Remember?

Yeah, and outdoor park in hamilton. They can play there all year because of all the waste hamilton has formed over the years creates a protective bubble around the city. It has a good view of the skyline, and the bridge but you can only see over the right field bleachers one day in may, and one day in september, all of the other days are too hazy.
    Definately a pitchers park too. line shots to the gap = caught by the SS or 2B

Roger's center is an aberration that causes disrespect over all Canada including its newest province, Nunavut. They should re-build Exhibition Stadium right this very minute. Also they should bring back Cito Gaston or Manny Acta or whoever was the first manager and have him be the manager again.
    X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast