Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Rivers Stadium

Three Rivers Stadium

The cookie cutters need some love!

First photo is from 5.29.70 which was the original opening date of the stadium against the Giants. Stadium was still under construction due to labor disputes and later opened on 7.16.70 against the Reds.

Second photo is the dismantling of a section of the outfield wall at Forbes Field. This section was taken to Three Rivers Stadium for decoration in the Allegheny Club.

Third photo is an undated photo from 1982 during batting practice before a game with the Cardinals. The Pirates have just completed their workout and the Cards are headed out. Not really clear on the scan (but clear on the original) is Redbird pitcher Joaquin Andujar (#47) walking on the Third Base cutout and Pirate Coach Joe Lonnett (#32) facing the batting practice pitcher screen with his back to home plate.

Fourth photo is a cut out from the April 16-22 edition of USA Today Baseball Weekly. I remember the days when that magazine was a great baseball magazine. Now its just another rag that covers more than one sport.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does anybody out there have a photo of the Forbes Field outfield wall that was used as decoration in the Allegheny Club at Three Rivers Stadium?

Prior to Three Rivers coming down of course.

I wish i had taken pictures of 3 rivers, i must had been there over 100 times, and never took any
    Pirates Fan Forever!!!!!

I know i wasnt the only one with a tear in their eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=986BqPtUzjA
    Last edited by steveironcity; 10-22-2007 at 06:35 PM.
    Pirates Fan Forever!!!!!

Here is an aerial photo from around 1992.

Does anyone have any pictures of outside Three Rivers while PNC and Heinz Field were being constructed? I'm curious as to how close the new football stadium actually is to where the old one used to stand (is the still-standing gate D in it's original spot or was it moved as to not be in the middle of the parking lot?).

Also, I was recently in Pittsburgh and was a little disappointed that, aside from gate D and a plaque, there wasn't more to commemorate the stadium where a lot of Pittsburgh's sport's history happened. Even if there were just markers where home plate was, where Roberto Clemente's 3000th hit landed, or where the Immaculate Reception happened, that would be a start.
    Last edited by BigOneBitey; 07-07-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigOneBitey View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures of outside Three Rivers while PNC and Heinz Field were being constructed? I'm curious as to how close the new football stadium actually is to where the old one used to stand (is the still-standing gate D in it's original spot or was it moved as to not be in the middle of the parking lot?).
    Heinz was only 60 ft. away

I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

I never got to a game there, but this is what's left of it in the area outside of Heinz Field:

Yeah, unfortunately, when I was there the area around the old gate was fenced off and there were tents and port-a-potties all around (not sure why) so I couldn't get close enough to it to read the plaque that's on there.

Last edited by BigOneBitey; 07-07-2009 at 02:26 PM.

So, is Gate D in its original location? Was it meant to left standing or did it just not fall during the implosion and they decided to leave it there?

Went to the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh and found some Three Rivers seats at the Sports Works building.

My kids loved them……

This one stadium that I always hear people from pittsburugh say "It was a dump, but it was our dump." It had its history and glad people have fond memories!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

I thought my Cad drawing belonged in this thread.

Notice Three Rivers was actually oval shaped not a perfect circle.

So, is Gate D in its original location? Was it meant to left standing or did it just not fall during the implosion and they decided to leave it there?
    It doesn't look like it was part of the actual structure....

Last edited by bandit12; 08-09-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Those were large pylon markers at the ends of the four bridge structures that went from the parking lots to the gates. You can see them at the end of the bridge on the left.

I'm pretty sure it was meant to stay up to commerate 3 rivers. I'm disappointed there isn't a home plate marker, but the original plate was moved to PNC park during the postgame ceremonies after the final game (by way of Rocket-pack man)

As for the fencing around the Gate D marker. The Steelers (and University of Pittsburgh Panthers) use the area as a hospitality area now. Still don't think that's a reason to close off the Gate D pillar, but what can you do when $$ talks.
    LETS GO BUCS!!

I googled 3 rivers stadiums and here are som pics I found:

Quick questions, why the red seats? Also is it just the way the last pic looks or did they have all red seats toward the end?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Nice pics Chevy144.

If you look closely at your first photo you can see the surviving pylon on the far right.

As for the seat colors I don’t think they changed until the very end of the stadiums life.
    The lower decks were slightly different shades of red, the mezzanine decks were yellow and the upper deck was yellow in the front rows followed by a dark orange color. But sometime in the last few years the lower movable seats were replaced with blue seats, perhaps for the 1994 All-Star Game.

Here is what it looked like towards the end……..

And here is a photo with the original GRASS field…….

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    And here is a photo with the original GRASS field…….
    When was this?

I was under the impression that Three Rivers had astroturf from the get-go. Although I believe they did have dirt basepaths the first year or two.
    Last edited by PeteU; 08-10-2010 at 08:18 AM.

AFAIK 3 Rivers always had artificial turf but for its first year or 2 had a full dirt infield like Tropicana does now.

They replaced it from one kind to another in the 1980s. The older stuff was more like commercial office carpet.

I stand corrected.
    You are all correct.
    After further investigating I found that it opened with a product called Tartan Turf and had a full dirt infield like the Trop. It had this set up for the first two years.
    But boy it sure looks like grass in that photo.

I didn't know Three Rivers had taken away the old scoreboard to put in more luxury boxes/good seating. When did they do this?

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    I thought my Cad drawing belonged in this thread.

Notice Three Rivers was actually oval shaped not a perfect circle.
    Fascinating- I really thought it was a circle. Are you sure your CAD file is set up properly? It looks right, but....

Three Rivers was a bad place to watch baseball. THe sight lines from most box seats were bad- you faced second base, not home or the mound. The place was totaly enclosed, so you saw none of downtown PGH, the rivers, or the hills. THe uniform field was unrelentingly boring. THere were more than 50,000 seats, and many were far far away ffrom the field and the action. And, of course, from a game perspective- the artificial surface- well, what can I say?

Many fans probably remember it fondly because the Pirates had quite a few good teams there, but it was a bad baseball park.

Quote Originally Posted by burroughsmvp View Post

I didn't know Three Rivers had taken away the old scoreboard to put in more luxury boxes/good seating. When did they do this?
    Yeah whats the story with the scoreboards?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast