Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 3Com Park / Candlestick Park

3Com Park / Candlestick Park

Here is a pic of The Stick in the 1960s.

Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Hi Can Anybody post some pics of Candlestick Park the way it looked in the 1960s? Color and or Black&White C60
    Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Here's one I found on Corbis.com
    Candlesitck.jpg

Gee, looked like a baseball stadium then didn't it.

Here's two more I found.

And, wow... it's called Monster Park now? I had no idea, I guess since the Jets haven't played there recently so I haven't watched any games that have taken place there within the past few years. Gotta love corporate sponsors.

From Candlestick Park to 3Com Park & now its Monster Park. Money definately talks in pro sport doesn't it.

Thanks for the pics guys It certianly did look like a Baseball stadium then once they inclosed it it looked like a cookie-cutter park C60 PS keep them comming

For "live" shots of Candlestick Park see the film "Experiment in Terror", which was released in 1962. It has been on TCM in the past year and may be available on video.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome Colonel View Post
    For "live" shots of Candlestick Park see the film "Experiment in Terror", which was released in 1962. It has been on TCM in the past year and may be available on video.
    Hey Rome Thats one movie ive never seen or heard of thanks for the heads up buddy.C60

Question

Didnt they film the Donna reed show episode at candlestick when they went to San Francisco and saw Willie Mays

Quote Originally Posted by HoldenV8 View Post
    From Candlestick Park to 3Com Park & now its Monster Park. Money definately talks in pro sport doesn't it.
    It will go back to Candlestick Park: voters in San Francisco passed a measure in 2004 requiring the name to go back to Candlestick once the current naming rights deal expires in 2008. One of the few times naming rights will be prevented from continuing.

Here are a couple more shots, both from Corbis:

Taken in July 1960.

Taken April 12, 1960. The inagural game at the 'Stick.
    Last edited by Richmond Hill Phoenix; 05-30-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added dates.
    WAMCO!

More on the movie, which is available on DVD:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055972/

The credits at IMDB don't mention him but John Roseboro is in it too. The game footage is from the 1961 season.

It's possible that they filmed part of a "Donna Reed Show" episode in Candlestick Park. Episode 6-31, "My Son the Catcher" (April 16, 1964) and Episode 7-3 "Play Ball" (October 1, 1964) both featured Mays and Don Drysdale. Leo Durocher appeared in "Play Ball." However, the episode list at IMDB is not complete so there might be other possibilities.

Now that I'm home I've been able to find a few more shots (once again from Corbis.ca):

Another shot from opening day 1960.

Opening day again.

In the background, the park appears to be under construction.

The park as it was in 1989. Compare this to the older shots.
    Last edited by Richmond Hill Phoenix; 05-30-2007 at 01:00 PM.
    WAMCO!

Great pics agian thanks guys 1989 compaired to 1960 no comparision at all the original stick was the best.C60. P.S. If any one has pics of the old scoreboard I love to see them that was a cool scoreboard with that old Tarryton sign

Candlestick

I love the pics of the stadium pre-expansion. I think if the 49ers has never moved in and it would have remained baseball only that it would be considered a classic. It was beautiful when it first opened. I have always wondered a couple of things though. Why didn't they have the outfield extend all the way out to the bleachers in left field instead of having the inner wall? Also, why does the edge of the left field bleachers toward center field look as if there are no seats? It looks like concrete stands and that there are people out there, but not as much as the rest of that outfield section. At first I thought maybe it was because it was dead-center but that would have been painted a dark color for the hitters background. Anyone from the area back then know these things?

About the fence thing, the only thing that I can think of is that they initially were going to make the field go all the way to the stands, but maybe it was too deep (aka there wouldn't be enough HR's). Or maybe they had to do that so that they could fit a football stadium in? I'm not really sure, these are just guesses.
    WAMCO!

Old Candlestick Scoreboard

Picked up a slide today of Candlestick Park from 1962 and it has a clear shot of the scoreboard with the Tareyton cigarettes sign. I'll post a photo after I scan and clean it up.

Thanks I cant wait to see it C60

What great pics and in living color as well good job!!!C60

Had to revive this thread with a couple of great pics:

From madalyne53 on flickr, 1961.

1959, in anticipation of the WS, not to be.

1960, the SI cover.

Last edited by alpineinc; 06-13-2009 at 09:48 PM.

What was the reason why Candlestick was designed so that the upper deck extended down the 1st baseline shorter than the 3rd baseline?

As a side note, I didn't realize that they're back to calling the place Candlestick, since the naming rights deal with Monster expired recently. Nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by stlfan View Post
    What was the reason why Candlestick was designed so that the upper deck extended down the 1st baseline shorter than the 3rd baseline?
    I believe the (supposed at the time) football field was always meant to go down 3b instead of 1b, so it would make sense to have more direct sideline views. It was also probably to help out wind flow.

Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    As a side note, I didn't realize that they're back to calling the place Candlestick, since the naming rights deal with Monster expired recently. Nice to see.
    Wow, that's great. "Monster" is just not very classic or awe inspiring.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast