Thread: Replenishment of baseballs for home plate umpire

Replenishment of baseballs for home plate umpire

I recall in the 1960's or 1970's, there was one park - either the Oakland Coliseum or Chicago Comiskey Park - where the home place umpire gets baseballs replenished from a pop-up box out of the ground behind the home plate.

I told some young friends of mine and they said they never heard of this. I tried to google for this information, but to no avail.

Could you help me out with the information (with some links or the like) so I can share this with these friends.

Thanks!!! ;-)

It was in Oakland. Harvey the Rabbit.
    EDIT: Actually, I think it was in Kansas City, not Oakland.
    RABBIT1.jpg
    Harvey_display_image.jpg
    Last edited by ipitch; 06-09-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Thank you!!! You made my day!!! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DeafStamps View Post
    Thank you!!! You made my day!!! ;-)
    You're welcome. I think I made a mistake though. The A's were in Kansas City back then. So, the rabbit was in Kansas City, not Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    You're welcome. I think I made a mistake though. The A's were in Kansas City back then. So, the rabbit was in Kansas City, not Oakland.
    Further checking and found this on the A's History website...

Charlie Finley added this feature when the team was in Kansas City, and brought it to Oakland with the team. It was part of his effort to add family-style interest to the game.

The idea never caught on with other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by DeafStamps View Post
    Further checking and found this on the A's History website...

Charlie Finley added this feature when the team was in Kansas City, and brought it to Oakland with the team. It was part of his effort to add family-style interest to the game.

The idea never caught on with other teams.
    OK, thanks. I didn't think they used it for more than one season.

I think Veeck may have had some shenanigans with baseballs too. Not sure when or where he may have done it. The guy tinkered with everything about the game in order to get the fans in the stadium.

He proposed using orange baseballs for night games.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

The St. Paul Saints use a pig.

St.-Paul-Saints-page.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    He proposed using orange baseballs for night games.
    I recall that proposition, and I'm glad it was never instituted. I mean, I enjoy a trip to the ballpark, but I probably don't need a trip at the ballpark.
    Put it in the books.

Charlie brought Harvey back to life in Oakland after the rabbit met an unfortunate demise in Kansas City at the hands of Ken Harrleson and a few other Athleitcs irked at Charlie's antics.

11468878616_05cefdca26.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Ballpark View Post
    Charlie brought Harvey back to life in Oakland after the rabbit met an unfortunate demise in Kansas City at the hands of Ken Harrleson and a few other Athleitcs irked at Charlie's antics.
    11468878616_05cefdca26.jpg
    Yup...btw, that pic is from 1971. Here's the larger version I submitted to Uni Watch last year:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks.

I remembered the picture and story from a bio of Charlie O by Herb Michelson from the 70's. Used Google to find it.