Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] (1976 - 2008)

Yankee Stadium [I] (1976 - 2008)

We've got threads about the pre-renovation Yankee Stadium and the actual renovation of Yankee Stadium, so I thought it only fitting and proper that the post-renovation version have its own dedicated thread.

And just because a thread has to start somewhere, I thought I'd post a few pictures I took of last Saturday's game.

What better place to begin than at the end? The very last rows all the way at the right field end, that is...

(Photo taken June 21, 2008. Gary Dunaier)

View from Tier Reserved MVP Section 2, row S, seat 1...

You can walk on the Field Level without a ticket, but the aisles leading to the seats closest to the field are kept chained to keep the riff raff out...

The view from just behind Field Championship box 6 (these are $325 seats)...

Ken Griffey, Jr.'s got an 0-2 count...

Before the game, Babe Ruth's family presented Alex Rodriguez with the 2007 Babe Ruth Home Award, and later they had the honor of working the countdown clock. From left to right on the Diamond Vision screen: Ruth's great grandson Brent Stevens, grandson Tom Stevens, daughter Julia Ruth Stevens (age 91), great granddaughter Amanda Stevens.

View from the seats in Field Box 138. Note the TV cameraman conveniently situated directly in front of the fans... I guess $90 doesn't buy you much these days...

If you're not interested in looking at the cameraman's butt, an extra five bucks ($95 total) will get you a front row seat in the Main Boxes closer to the infield, where you'll have an excellent view of other fans walking in the aisle...

A wide-angle view looking directly down the left field line...

Finally... a foul ball snugly rests atop the netting above the seats behind home plate...

Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 09-15-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: to correct a Typographical error, or "typo"
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Don't people say things to you like "Dude, why the hell are you taking so many pictures?" and "Why are you taking pictures of a foul ball caught in a net" and "Dude, do you have a life?".

And "Dude, we gotta meet up. I've been at 5 games this here that you've been to and haven't seen you and your camera."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1-EG4z_BFRo

cool commercial. lots of the YS frieze. LOTS.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees82 View Post
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=1-EG4z_BFRo

cool commercial. lots of the YS frieze. LOTS.
    It's sad the old Yankee Stadium frieze is no more, and that it doesn't exist in the collective minds of those who aren't obsessed (i.e. baseball-fever.com). If it did, the straight sections in that commercial would be the longated frieze, not the shortened ones that were used when the stadium curved around homeplate and the foul poles.

Yankee Stadium - Gate 2

Hi,

I'm not sure if my memory is correct on this, so I will ask the question.

In the 80's, was Gate 2 in LF only open on select games with bigger crowds? I think I remember it really not being open. Along with the LF bleachers, also only open on large attendance days.

- Thanks.

Here's YS from the mid 80's. That's Mattingly rounding the bases and Rickey Henderson scoring.

1988 opening day

1994 Tartabull at bat (w/ Mattingly on deck)

Angels vs Yanks 1982

Reggie: getting hassled or getting some love?

Rod Carew

Pre-game

1986 aerial

This is the only Yankee Stadium that I know.

It's the Yankee Stadium of Reggie, Willie, Donny, Righetti, Winfield, Chambliss, Nettles, July 4th, the infamous George Brett blowup, Sweet Lou, Phil Rizzutto being tripped over by a cow, the blue seats, the riotious fans, the chants of "Bases Loaded Walk!" and "Who's Your Daddy?!" (in addition to the obligatory "Boston Sucks!"). This is the Stadium of the Bleacher Creatures, the very cast of individuals who yell out the roll cast and verbally abuse people who sit in box seats. It's also the same stadium in which people could still buy tickets at face value on the day of the game but now that tradition has went the way of the dodo.

Yes. This is the only Yankee Stadium that I know. I never knew of a "previous" Yankee Stadium that existed until I started using Internet service. Yes, I can still imagine massive waves of individuals who appear to have just got out of the insane asylum at the ballgame having a good time and verbally abusing opposing players. The "We Are #1" attitude that the city is most famous for. Once upon a time when I didn't know any better, the Yankees were playing the Brewers and were clobbering them. As a boy, I didn't know that blowout were a part of the game. So I started to cry as I remember Yankee players going around the bases multiple times. My father who sat with me thought something was wrong with me. It wasn't like I had any special sympathy for the Brew Crew, just that I thought it was unfair or something. But that shows you the power of the game when it can create all kinds of emotions.

I didn't know of any previous version of Yankee Stadium. So, naturally, when I heard rumors about its replacement, I began thinking that they'd be crazy to leave a perfectly good ballpark. Even today, the vast majority of teams would kill to play their home games at Yankee Stadium, including this version of it, with its rabid, fanatical followers who show up before it was cool to show up at Yankee Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    Reggie: getting hassled or getting some love?

I must kill........the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by stlfan View Post
    I must kill........the Queen.

DiggerODell Guest

Twilight Zone like day

Quote Originally Posted by Transic View Post
    This is the only Yankee Stadium that I know.

It's the Yankee Stadium of Reggie, Willie, Donny, Righetti, Winfield, Chambliss, Nettles, July 4th, the infamous George Brett blowup, Sweet Lou, Phil Rizzutto being tripped over by a cow, the blue seats, the riotious fans, the chants of "Bases Loaded Walk!" and "Who's Your Daddy?!" (in addition to the obligatory "Boston Sucks!"). This is the Stadium of the Bleacher Creatures, the very cast of individuals who yell out the roll cast and verbally abuse people who sit in box seats. It's also the same stadium in which people could still buy tickets at face value on the day of the game but now that tradition has went the way of the dodo.

Yes. This is the only Yankee Stadium that I know. I never knew of a "previous" Yankee Stadium that existed until I started using Internet service. Yes, I can still imagine massive waves of individuals who appear to have just got out of the insane asylum at the ballgame having a good time and verbally abusing opposing players. The "We Are #1" attitude that the city is most famous for. Once upon a time when I didn't know any better, the Yankees were playing the Brewers and were clobbering them. As a boy, I didn't know that blowout were a part of the game. So I started to cry as I remember Yankee players going around the bases multiple times. My father who sat with me thought something was wrong with me. It wasn't like I had any special sympathy for the Brew Crew, just that I thought it was unfair or something. But that shows you the power of the game when it can create all kinds of emotions.

I didn't know of any previous version of Yankee Stadium. So, naturally, when I heard rumors about its replacement, I began thinking that they'd be crazy to leave a perfectly good ballpark. Even today, the vast majority of teams would kill to play their home games at Yankee Stadium, including this version of it, with its rabid, fanatical followers who show up before it was cool to show up at Yankee Stadium.
    Very poignant and well put transic! It brought back to mind a day in October last, upon having toured around Shea about and hour and taking photographs, a quick subway ride crosstown, here I was standing right in front of Yankee Stadium. After all those years so long ago attending ballgames in both San Fran and Oakland . . . and only hearing or reading about the fabled Yankee park, I was actually standing before it.

What made it weird was that it was October and no ball was being played, whats more the Rockies who play in the town I know reside were up 2-0 to Arizona in the NLCS and Boston was getting trashed by Cleveland! Life was good that sunny October day. That particular timing was absolute accidental but who would have thunk it? Things would change in the coming days and weeks but for then it was fabulous!

But it felt like having your hands tied behind your back with a sizzling sirloin steak placed before you. It was during this day that I made my mind up to come back and actually see a game there before the demolition crews invade.

I read on here where folks complain about the renovations done during the 70's and they are probably well justified. But all I seen was Yankee Stadium. I do believe I expected to see ole Rod Serling any moment that day, ha!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DiggerODell; 06-29-2008 at 02:03 AM.

When was the "353 ft" sign removed in right field? And why was it removed? I liked that sign. It gave you some perspective on how short the right field porch actually is in Yankee Stadium.

Cross-posting this from the YS pre-reno thread, but it's such a great pic it should be here, as the last boxing event at YS, Ali/Norton Sept. '76. Thanks to LPeters for the heads-up.

017042082.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    We've got threads about the pre-renovation Yankee Stadium and the post-renovation Yankee Stadium, so I thought it only fitting and proper that the post-renovation version have its own dedicated thread.

And just because a thread has to start somewhere, I thought I'd post a few pictures I took of last Saturday's game.

Gary, you're unbelieveable. Great work. Keep it up.
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Quote Originally Posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
    Gary, you're unbelieveable. Great work. Keep it up.
    That's exactly what the lady I was with last night said...
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

That's exactly what the lady I was with last night said...
    My kind of guy. Taking in a game and getting some too!!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Boxing in Yankee Stadium just wasn't the same post-renovation. Some might say baseball wasn't the same post-renovation, as well; but not me.

Quote Originally Posted by locke40 View Post
    Boxing in Yankee Stadium just wasn't the same post-renovation. .
    It might have gone better if the Ali-Norton matchg actually had police protection, instead of a police protest.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Cross-posting this from the YS pre-reno thread, but it's such a great pic it should be here, as the last boxing event at YS, Ali/Norton Sept. '76. Thanks to LPeters for the heads-up.

017042082.jpg
    Great shot! I love outdoor boxing!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeesFan View Post
    Hi,

I'm not sure if my memory is correct on this, so I will ask the question.

In the 80's, was Gate 2 in LF only open on select games with bigger crowds? I think I remember it really not being open. Along with the LF bleachers, also only open on large attendance days.

- Thanks.
    Yes to both (there is a fence/gate under the black to close off the LF bleachers) and if you look at yearbooks from the early '90s, on the YS seating map there is a note by gate 2 "open only when large crowds are expected."

Here are some shots from last night's game...

A couple of fans use the extreme left field end as a vantage point to get pictures of the new Stadium...

(Photo taken July 1, 2008. Gary Dunaier)

The legendary left field foul pole of "baseball needs instant replay" fame...

The view from Field Box 138, Row G, Seat 2...

Unusual angle showing where the newer left field fence meets the 1976original...

The shadow of the frieze falls on the 831 Gerard Avenue apartment building...

The field as seen from beyond the edge of the right field stands...

A very unusual view of the right field bleachers and the top of the frieze as seen from Tier Reserve 35, Row X, Seat 12...

The last row of the last section of the right field stands (Tier Reserve 35, row X, seats 12-9 if you want to get technical about it)...

Doing "the wave" in The Bronx...

Finally, perhaps the most shocking (to me, at least) of all the photos I took... during the playing of God Bless America, "security" or "staff" or whatever you want to call them take the chains that keep the riff raff out of the expensive seats and hold them across the aisle, preventing free passage...

I took well over 300 photos at the game... 208 of those, including the ten you just saw, are on Flickr, so if you want to see more click here.
    X

Hi Gary,

I was at last night's game as well. My seats are in the left field upper deck, three rows from the very top of the Stadium. I told my brother (and I am not kidding) that I know a guy from baseball-fever.com who is sitting right over there (pointing to where your seats are), who is taking pictures as we speak, and who is going to post them on this website tomorrow. He told me that I have a problem for knowing something like that, and I promptly said that he is the one with problem, that he doesn't know what he is missing in this little community we have going. I thought you would enjoy that.

They had Ollie Perez pitching for the Mets on the out of town board.

I don't think anybody saw my question from before, so I'll try again:

When was the "353 ft" sign removed from the right field wall?

A couple of fans use the extreme left field end as a vantage point to get pictures of the new Stadium...

Gary,
    My son and I took a bus trip from Upstate NY down to the game last night as well. He recognized one of the people in this picture as being on our bus. We sat toward the bottom of this picture (Tier Reserved Sec. 36 Row P). I'm working on getting my pictures uploaded as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by George W. Bush View Post
    I told my brother (and I am not kidding) that I know a guy from baseball-fever.com who is sitting right over there (pointing to where your seats are)
    Technically, you're wrong... I did not sit in my ticketed seat (Box 669, second row) at all during last night's game. I think it's the first time I didn't at least put in an appearance there.

But I was, as implied and/or inferred from some of my shots, at the very top of that same right field porch. I stayed there until the end of the 3rd inning... I left to go to another section so that I had a good angle of the Diamond Vision for when they did the countdown clock. Too bad the guy who did it last night was someone I don't think anyone had heard of, but nevertheless I got a good shot (it's on Flickr) at the moment it changed... on the scoreboard it shows 39 games, but on the Diamond Vision, which must be on a delay, it still showed 40 games. I suppose I ought to post it on the YS Countdown Clock thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MattD1972 View Post
    Gary,
    My son and I took a bus trip from Upstate NY down to the game last night as well. He recognized one of the people in this picture as being on our bus. We sat toward the bottom of this picture (Tier Reserved Sec. 36 Row P).

Isn't it a small world!!!!!
    X

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast