Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] (1976 - 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Technically, you're wrong... I did not sit in my ticketed seat (Box 669, second row) at all during last night's game. I think it's the first time I didn't at least put in an appearance there.

But I was, as implied and/or inferred from some of my shots, at the very top of that same right field porch. I stayed there until the end of the 3rd inning... I left to go to another section so that I had a good angle of the Diamond Vision for when they did the countdown clock. Too bad the guy who did it last night was someone I don't think anyone had heard of, but nevertheless I got a good shot (it's on Flickr) at the moment it changed... on the scoreboard it shows 39 games, but on the Diamond Vision, which must be on a delay, it still showed 40 games. I suppose I ought to post it on the YS Countdown Clock thread.

Isn't it a small world!!!!!
    Gary!!! How am I supposed to get anything done if all I do is read your comments and look at the million or so photos of yours on Flick'r.

Ain't digital cameras great. Free film!!!!

If you get a life I may be able to also!!!

You should just start your own thread. GARY'S WORLD!

Great Shots.
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Gary: I was at the game of the Babe Ruth family honoring and I could have sworn I saw you.

Who else would be walking around with a camera, taking pictures of the weirdest things.

Interesting shots through the frieze from today's broadcast.

fr1.jpg
    fr2.jpg
    fr3.jpg

today's YES coverage

Yes, those frieze shots are great and need to be archived for future years when we want to relive the OYS in a similar thread. I noticed many new and expensive shots during today's broadcast. I wonder if they were helping to test out camera angles to be used for the All-Star Game coverage. There were some graet shots of the new YS as well.

I loved that cameraman on the right field roof taking pics through the light rails. Amazing camera work yesterday, some of the best ever seen in a sporting event of the stadium itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kobathecat View Post
    Yes, those frieze shots are great and need to be archived for future years when we want to relive the OYS in a similar thread. I noticed many new and expensive shots during today's broadcast. I wonder if they were helping to test out camera angles to be used for the All-Star Game coverage. There were some graet shots of the new YS as well.
    or they wanted to get far far away from how the Yankees have ben playing

Quote Originally Posted by kobathecat View Post
    Future generations are going to look back on the current renovated Yankee Stadium and be amazed by the sheer size of the upper deck. They will discuss and pour over photos of the renovated Stadium much the same way we do with the pre-renovated Stadium.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Here are some shots from last night's game...

Finally, perhaps the most shocking (to me, at least) of all the photos I took... during the playing of God Bless America, "security" or "staff" or whatever you want to call them take the chains that keep the riff raff out of the expensive seats and hold them across the aisle, preventing free passage...

(Photo taken July 1, 2008. Gary Dunaier)

I took well over 300 photos at the game... 208 of those, including the ten you just saw, are on Flickr, so if you want to see more click here.

That final(bottom) photo illustrates everything that is wrong with where America is heading nowadays. Separation(in the name of security or whatever) is economic/class SEGREGATION - no matter how you call it!

Another thing that comes to mind when looking at the renovated Stadium is that it's like hearing a compilation of 1970's pop music hits over and over again. It's as if you step into the Stadium and you start hearing such songs as "Blinded by the Light", "Hot Child in the City", "Piano Man", anything from Elton John, Hall & Oates or Stevie Wonder, maybe Peter Frampton. When fans run onto the field, you play the Dictators, the Clash or the Ramones.

Maybe KISS should close out this Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Transic View Post
    Another thing that comes to mind when looking at the renovated Stadium is that it's like hearing a compilation of 1970's pop music hits over and over again. It's as if you step into the Stadium and you start hearing such songs as "Blinded by the Light", "Hot Child in the City", "Piano Man", anything from Elton John, Hall & Oates or Stevie Wonder, maybe Peter Frampton. When fans run onto the field, you play the Dictators, the Clash or the Ramones.

Maybe KISS should close out this Stadium.
    um...........

why would they have a gimmick band that think they scare people by wearing facepaint and dressing like transvesites close Yankee Stadium?

If they wanna have a concert to close Yankee Stadium, have a more modern band close Yankee Stadium. Some good bands include:

Dave Matthews- He sells out basically every show

Foo Fighters- Dave Grohl is a musical genius who was in one of the greatest bands ever. I don't see anyone who wouldn't wanna see Foo Fighters

The Offspring- I went to go see The Offspring about 4 years ago @ Hammerstein Ballroom, and it was the best show I've ever been to. They also have a new album out, in stores NOW

Metallica- I know theyre not the most modern band out there, but they kick ass. I saw them @ Giants Stadium, and they were great. Plus, what song does Mariano Rivera come out to? Oh yeah, Enter Sandman by Metallica

Aerosmith- Once again, not the most modern band, and theyre from Boston, but I really like them anyway.

Papa Roach- Currently, theyre on tour with Motley Crue, but I'm sure there's a way they can fit a show @ Yankee Stadium into their schedule.

Limp Bizkit-.....................................maybe not.

Guns N Roses- Not really the most modern band, but once again, Chinese Democracy is scheduled to come out this year.................................or is it?

Stone Temple Pilots- They just got back together from being broken up for a while, and the DeLeo Brothers are actually from Jerzey, so they'll be happy because they'll be close to home

Queens of the Stone Age- Great band. They sell out all over Europe. Don't understand why they don't do too many shows over here, though.

311- Theyre playing at Cyclones Stadium or whatever it's called in Coney Island soon. If they sell out a minor league stadium, who says they won't be able to sell out a major league stadium?

That's all I can think of right now.

Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT
    U2 and Billy Joel are two of the very few performers who have played Yankee Stadium. I say bring them both back - especially U2, considering the Yankees are playing a TON of U2 songs at Yankee Stadium this season (including "City of Blinding Lights" for the Yankee Stadium video montage before every game), and Billy Joel has seemingly tied himself to Shea this year.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised to see U2 close out the Stadium. They have a bunch of songs that can fit the moment, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    um...........

why would they have a gimmick band that think they scare people by wearing facepaint and dressing like transvesites close Yankee Stadium?

If they wanna have a concert to close Yankee Stadium, have a more modern band close Yankee Stadium. Some good bands include:

Dave Matthews- He sells out basically every show

Foo Fighters- Dave Grohl is a musical genius who was in one of the greatest bands ever. I don't see anyone who wouldn't wanna see Foo Fighters

The Offspring- I went to go see The Offspring about 4 years ago @ Hammerstein Ballroom, and it was the best show I've ever been to. They also have a new album out, in stores NOW

Metallica- I know theyre not the most modern band out there, but they kick ass. I saw them @ Giants Stadium, and they were great. Plus, what song does Mariano Rivera come out to? Oh yeah, Enter Sandman by Metallica

Aerosmith- Once again, not the most modern band, and theyre from Boston, but I really like them anyway.

Papa Roach- Currently, theyre on tour with Motley Crue, but I'm sure there's a way they can fit a show @ Yankee Stadium into their schedule.

Limp Bizkit-.....................................maybe not.

Guns N Roses- Not really the most modern band, but once again, Chinese Democracy is scheduled to come out this year.................................or is it?

Stone Temple Pilots- They just got back together from being broken up for a while, and the DeLeo Brothers are actually from Jerzey, so they'll be happy because they'll be close to home

Queens of the Stone Age- Great band. They sell out all over Europe. Don't understand why they don't do too many shows over here, though.

311- Theyre playing at Cyclones Stadium or whatever it's called in Coney Island soon. If they sell out a minor league stadium, who says they won't be able to sell out a major league stadium?

That's all I can think of right now.
    Are you 13?

That is the most embarrassing list I have ever seen. The sad thing is I know you were serious.

Photo of a great artist practing his craft

For those of you who thought you might have seen me at the July 1st game, dig this...

(Uploaded to Flickr.com by user excalipoor on July 5, 2008; photo taken July 1, 2008. Link to original Flickr.com post: here)

You really have to enlarge it to the Original size (3264 x 2448) to see it, but if you look in the top row, at the very end of the right field stands, that's me in Section 35, Row X, Seat 12, taking some of those great shots you saw earlier in this thread and elsewhere on Flickr.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Plattsburgh NY, From Mineville / Witherbee NY
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    Foo must be fought whenever and wherever foo can be found to be fought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by applenut View Post
    Are you 13?

That is the most embarrassing list I have ever seen. The sad thing is I know you were serious.
    No, I'm not 13. I'm 25. And, wow. I don't get what the big deal is that I listen to modern rock.

concerts

A music festival featuring multiple bands would have been a great way to close out OYS in Autumn, past the point where damage to the field or structure is concerned. That said, these things take time to organize and bands have their schedules made often well in advance, so it is probably already too late for such an event. Instead, how about bring back the Jehovah's Witnesses ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
    That final(bottom) photo illustrates everything that is wrong with where America is heading nowadays. Separation(in the name of security or whatever) is economic/class SEGREGATION - no matter how you call it!
    you realize once the song is over they take the chains down, thats so no one walks through the walkways during the song

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees12 View Post
    U2 and Billy Joel are two of the very few performers who have played Yankee Stadium. I say bring them both back - especially U2, considering the Yankees are playing a TON of U2 songs at Yankee Stadium this season (including "City of Blinding Lights" for the Yankee Stadium video montage before every game), and Billy Joel has seemingly tied himself to Shea this year.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised to see U2 close out the Stadium. They have a bunch of songs that can fit the moment, too.
    I wouldnt mind seeing U2. I like them. But all their new songs are horrible, besides that song they did with Billie Joe from Green Day. That was a good song. But all the rest of their new songs are really bad. Especially Vertigo. Everything after Elevation is horrible, that's what I think. Well, besides the song they did with Billie Joe.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tino24 View Post
    you realize once the song is over they take the chains down, thats so no one walks through the walkways during the song
    I hope that's the way of it! My issue is that UpperDeckers like myself do not have access to Field/lower seating areas and vice versa. It's the same damn stadium all 50+ thousand of us are in. And the bleacher creatures - what access do they have to the rest of the Stadium, if any? They're carbon-based oxygen & water consuming human beings, just like those sitting on couches inside their glass boxes with wet bars, right??

I hope that's the way of it! My issue is that UpperDeckers like myself do not have access to Field/lower seating areas and vice versa. It's the same damn stadium all 50+ thousand of us are in. And the bleacher creatures - what access do they have to the rest of the Stadium, if any? They're carbon-based oxygen & water consuming human beings, just like those sitting on couches inside their glass boxes with wet bars, right??
    1) Fans with upper deck ("Tier") tickets can walk around on the main aisle on the Field Level. The individual aisles to the Field Boxes are restricted to ticket holders, and it is those seats that are chained off, as shown in this photo:

(Photo taken June 21, 2008. Gary Dunaier)

The main aisle is approximately twenty rows away from the field.

2) Fans with Bleachers tickets are restricted to the Bleachers, unfortunately; they are not allowed access to any other part of the Stadium.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

One of the reasons they do cut off areas closest to the field is because season ticket holders have paid high dollar amounts to sit there or send friends/clients to sit there. They do not want anyone sitting in their seats, especially if that someone is supposed to be on a different level. I know many people find it awkward or embarassing if they have to ask someone to move from their seats. I do tend to think the security can be a little too bullish.

I also think one of the main reasons fans in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium are not allowed in the main portion of the stadium is because they are two separate entrances. To leave the bleachers you need to check out and then check back in when coming into one of the other gates.

One thing that pisses off is when I show up to the game with my friends or family and go to my seats usually in the upper deck, and some ******* seat crashers are sitting in my seats. This is especially problematic now that the stadium sells out every game. Then you have dicker around showing tickets and compelling the crashers to vacate the seat, only to have them sit mindlessly in some other family's seats in the row in front of you. then, when they show up you get to watch the bickering all over again.

Yes, we are all humans and we all breathe are etc., but we all didn't pay for the same seats. I have little problem with the ushers making sure that the people who paid for specific seats are not inconvenienced by seat crashers. if the fans themselves didn't create the problem, there would be no need for the heavier-handed security.

Which is not to say that the security folks are not ******** as well...they often are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    Here's YS from the mid 80's. That's Mattingly rounding the bases and Rickey Henderson scoring.
    I can't believe it took me 30 years to realize why "410 FT" in center field was painted black (to match the batters' background, duh).

Reggie: getting hassled or getting some love?
    Reggie would've gotten nothing but love after George cut him loose. One of my favorite baseball moments was his first game back as an Angel, when he hit the home run in the rain and the fans brought back the "REG-GIE" chant.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
    One thing that pisses off is when I show up to the game with my friends or family and go to my seats usually in the upper deck, and some ******* seat crashers are sitting in my seats. This is especially problematic now that the stadium sells out every game. Then you have dicker around showing tickets and compelling the crashers to vacate the seat, only to have them sit mindlessly in some other family's seats in the row in front of you. then, when they show up you get to watch the bickering all over again.

Yes, we are all humans and we all breathe are etc., but we all didn't pay for the same seats. I have little problem with the ushers making sure that the people who paid for specific seats are not inconvenienced by seat crashers. if the fans themselves didn't create the problem, there would be no need for the heavier-handed security.

Which is not to say that the security folks are not ******** as well...they often are.
    I guess I'm just too naive, monkey! I didn't think about people doing that in my prior replies.

I crave free access to all of the stadium purely from a leg-stretching, curious photographer perspective. (aren't we all one of those in B-S-G-D?) I respect others's seat/sections, and come only to snap a few photos from an angle I otherwise could not achieve, and go back to my section.

I guess if this was NINTEEN-08, I'd be craving unfettered access to ALL PASSAGEWAYS of the Lusitania - and to photograph the cabin ONLY of anyone willing to let me - just to document her before the big set up of 1915.

Yankee Stadium - Club Level

Hi-

If standing on the club level behind home plate, does anyone know how far out towards each foul pole the club level goes? Besides the club suites and the Yankee Club, is anything else on that level?

- Thanks

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast