X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • locke40
    I ♥ Support Columns
    • Dec 2007

Boxing in Yankee Stadium just wasn't the same post-renovation. Some might say baseball wasn't the same post-renovation, as well; but not me.
    sigpic

Comment

• MattD1972
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by locke40 View Post
      Boxing in Yankee Stadium just wasn't the same post-renovation. .
      It might have gone better if the Ali-Norton matchg actually had police protection, instead of a police protest.

Comment

• Chevy114
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
        Cross-posting this from the YS pre-reno thread, but it's such a great pic it should be here, as the last boxing event at YS, Ali/Norton Sept. '76. Thanks to LPeters for the heads-up.

[ATTACH]45686[/ATTACH]
        Great shot! I love outdoor boxing!
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• SparkyL
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by YankeesFan View Post
          Hi,

I'm not sure if my memory is correct on this, so I will ask the question.

In the 80's, was Gate 2 in LF only open on select games with bigger crowds? I think I remember it really not being open. Along with the LF bleachers, also only open on large attendance days.

- Thanks.
          Yes to both (there is a fence/gate under the black to close off the LF bleachers) and if you look at yearbooks from the early '90s, on the YS seating map there is a note by gate 2 "open only when large crowds are expected."

Comment

• Gary Dunaier
            Thumbs Down Guy/Moderator
            • Sep 2007

Here are some shots from last night's game...

A couple of fans use the extreme left field end as a vantage point to get pictures of the new Stadium...

(Photo taken July 1, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)

The legendary left field foul pole of "baseball needs instant replay" fame...

The view from Field Box 138, Row G, Seat 2...

Unusual angle showing where the newer left field fence meets the 1976original...

The shadow of the frieze falls on the 831 Gerard Avenue apartment building...

The field as seen from beyond the edge of the right field stands...

A very unusual view of the right field bleachers and the top of the frieze as seen from Tier Reserve 35, Row X, Seat 12...

The last row of the last section of the right field stands (Tier Reserve 35, row X, seats 12-9 if you want to get technical about it)...

Doing "the wave" in The Bronx...

Finally, perhaps the most shocking (to me, at least) of all the photos I took... during the playing of God Bless America, "security" or "staff" or whatever you want to call them take the chains that keep the riff raff out of the expensive seats and hold them across the aisle, preventing free passage...

I took well over 300 photos at the game... 208 of those, including the ten you just saw, are on Flickr, so if you want to see more click here.
            My GIF has been viewed more than 377 million times!
            https://giphy.com/gifs/mlb-yankees-t...wH6yMO7ED5xc7S

Comment

• George W. Bush
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
              Hi Gary,

I was at last night's game as well. My seats are in the left field upper deck, three rows from the very top of the Stadium. I told my brother (and I am not kidding) that I know a guy from baseball-fever.com who is sitting right over there (pointing to where your seats are), who is taking pictures as we speak, and who is going to post them on this website tomorrow. He told me that I have a problem for knowing something like that, and I promptly said that he is the one with problem, that he doesn't know what he is missing in this little community we have going. I thought you would enjoy that.

Comment

• Aviator_Frank
                Engineer / Private Pilot
                • Mar 2008

They had Ollie Perez pitching for the Mets on the out of town board.

Comment

• curb my enthusiasm
                  • Sep 2007

I don't think anybody saw my question from before, so I'll try again:

When was the "353 ft" sign removed from the right field wall?
                  Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, and rum. He will come.

Comment

• MattD1972
                    • Apr 2007

A couple of fans use the extreme left field end as a vantage point to get pictures of the new Stadium...

Gary,
                    My son and I took a bus trip from Upstate NY down to the game last night as well. He recognized one of the people in this picture as being on our bus. We sat toward the bottom of this picture (Tier Reserved Sec. 36 Row P). I'm working on getting my pictures uploaded as we speak.

Comment

• Gary Dunaier
                      Thumbs Down Guy/Moderator
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by George W. Bush View Post
                      I told my brother (and I am not kidding) that I know a guy from baseball-fever.com who is sitting right over there (pointing to where your seats are)
                      Technically, you're wrong... I did not sit in my ticketed seat (Box 669, second row) at all during last night's game. I think it's the first time I didn't at least put in an appearance there.

But I was, as implied and/or inferred from some of my shots, at the very top of that same right field porch. I stayed there until the end of the 3rd inning... I left to go to another section so that I had a good angle of the Diamond Vision for when they did the countdown clock. Too bad the guy who did it last night was someone I don't think anyone had heard of, but nevertheless I got a good shot (it's on Flickr) at the moment it changed... on the scoreboard it shows 39 games, but on the Diamond Vision, which must be on a delay, it still showed 40 games. I suppose I ought to post it on the YS Countdown Clock thread.

Originally posted by MattD1972 View Post
                      Gary,
                      My son and I took a bus trip from Upstate NY down to the game last night as well. He recognized one of the people in this picture as being on our bus. We sat toward the bottom of this picture (Tier Reserved Sec. 36 Row P).

Isn't it a small world!!!!!
                      My GIF has been viewed more than 377 million times!
                      https://giphy.com/gifs/mlb-yankees-t...wH6yMO7ED5xc7S

Comment

• cgcoyne2
                        Jonathan E's number 1 fan
                        • Mar 2008

Technically, you're wrong... I did not sit in my ticketed seat (Box 669, second row) at all during last night's game. I think it's the first time I didn't at least put in an appearance there.

But I was, as implied and/or inferred from some of my shots, at the very top of that same right field porch. I stayed there until the end of the 3rd inning... I left to go to another section so that I had a good angle of the Diamond Vision for when they did the countdown clock. Too bad the guy who did it last night was someone I don't think anyone had heard of, but nevertheless I got a good shot (it's on Flickr) at the moment it changed... on the scoreboard it shows 39 games, but on the Diamond Vision, which must be on a delay, it still showed 40 games. I suppose I ought to post it on the YS Countdown Clock thread.

Isn't it a small world!!!!!
                        Gary!!! How am I supposed to get anything done if all I do is read your comments and look at the million or so photos of yours on Flick'r.

Ain't digital cameras great. Free film!!!!

If you get a life I may be able to also!!!

You should just start your own thread. GARY'S WORLD!

Great Shots. :bowdown:
                        Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Wall-E
                          Your everyday clumsy bot!
                          • Apr 2008

Gary: I was at the game of the Babe Ruth family honoring and I could have sworn I saw you.

Who else would be walking around with a camera, taking pictures of the weirdest things.

Comment

• alpineinc
                            Behind the bag BSGD Mod
                            • Nov 2006

Interesting shots through the frieze from today's broadcast.

fr1.jpg
                            fr2.jpg
                            fr3.jpg

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
                            Over 2500 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebag

Comment

• kobathecat
                              • Jul 2006

today's YES coverage

Yes, those frieze shots are great and need to be archived for future years when we want to relive the OYS in a similar thread. I noticed many new and expensive shots during today's broadcast. I wonder if they were helping to test out camera angles to be used for the All-Star Game coverage. There were some graet shots of the new YS as well.

Comment

• Aviator_Frank
                                Engineer / Private Pilot
                                • Mar 2008

I loved that cameraman on the right field roof taking pics through the light rails. Amazing camera work yesterday, some of the best ever seen in a sporting event of the stadium itself.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X