Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] (1976 - 2008)

concerts

A music festival featuring multiple bands would have been a great way to close out OYS in Autumn, past the point where damage to the field or structure is concerned. That said, these things take time to organize and bands have their schedules made often well in advance, so it is probably already too late for such an event. Instead, how about bring back the Jehovah's Witnesses ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
    That final(bottom) photo illustrates everything that is wrong with where America is heading nowadays. Separation(in the name of security or whatever) is economic/class SEGREGATION - no matter how you call it!
    you realize once the song is over they take the chains down, thats so no one walks through the walkways during the song

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees12 View Post
    U2 and Billy Joel are two of the very few performers who have played Yankee Stadium. I say bring them both back - especially U2, considering the Yankees are playing a TON of U2 songs at Yankee Stadium this season (including "City of Blinding Lights" for the Yankee Stadium video montage before every game), and Billy Joel has seemingly tied himself to Shea this year.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised to see U2 close out the Stadium. They have a bunch of songs that can fit the moment, too.
    I wouldnt mind seeing U2. I like them. But all their new songs are horrible, besides that song they did with Billie Joe from Green Day. That was a good song. But all the rest of their new songs are really bad. Especially Vertigo. Everything after Elevation is horrible, that's what I think. Well, besides the song they did with Billie Joe.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tino24 View Post
    you realize once the song is over they take the chains down, thats so no one walks through the walkways during the song
    I hope that's the way of it! My issue is that UpperDeckers like myself do not have access to Field/lower seating areas and vice versa. It's the same damn stadium all 50+ thousand of us are in. And the bleacher creatures - what access do they have to the rest of the Stadium, if any? They're carbon-based oxygen & water consuming human beings, just like those sitting on couches inside their glass boxes with wet bars, right??

I hope that's the way of it! My issue is that UpperDeckers like myself do not have access to Field/lower seating areas and vice versa. It's the same damn stadium all 50+ thousand of us are in. And the bleacher creatures - what access do they have to the rest of the Stadium, if any? They're carbon-based oxygen & water consuming human beings, just like those sitting on couches inside their glass boxes with wet bars, right??
    1) Fans with upper deck ("Tier") tickets can walk around on the main aisle on the Field Level. The individual aisles to the Field Boxes are restricted to ticket holders, and it is those seats that are chained off, as shown in this photo:

(Photo taken June 21, 2008. Gary Dunaier)

The main aisle is approximately twenty rows away from the field.

2) Fans with Bleachers tickets are restricted to the Bleachers, unfortunately; they are not allowed access to any other part of the Stadium.
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

One of the reasons they do cut off areas closest to the field is because season ticket holders have paid high dollar amounts to sit there or send friends/clients to sit there. They do not want anyone sitting in their seats, especially if that someone is supposed to be on a different level. I know many people find it awkward or embarassing if they have to ask someone to move from their seats. I do tend to think the security can be a little too bullish.

I also think one of the main reasons fans in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium are not allowed in the main portion of the stadium is because they are two separate entrances. To leave the bleachers you need to check out and then check back in when coming into one of the other gates.

One thing that pisses off is when I show up to the game with my friends or family and go to my seats usually in the upper deck, and some ******* seat crashers are sitting in my seats. This is especially problematic now that the stadium sells out every game. Then you have dicker around showing tickets and compelling the crashers to vacate the seat, only to have them sit mindlessly in some other family's seats in the row in front of you. then, when they show up you get to watch the bickering all over again.

Yes, we are all humans and we all breathe are etc., but we all didn't pay for the same seats. I have little problem with the ushers making sure that the people who paid for specific seats are not inconvenienced by seat crashers. if the fans themselves didn't create the problem, there would be no need for the heavier-handed security.

Which is not to say that the security folks are not ******** as well...they often are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    Here's YS from the mid 80's. That's Mattingly rounding the bases and Rickey Henderson scoring.
    I can't believe it took me 30 years to realize why "410 FT" in center field was painted black (to match the batters' background, duh).

Reggie: getting hassled or getting some love?
    Reggie would've gotten nothing but love after George cut him loose. One of my favorite baseball moments was his first game back as an Angel, when he hit the home run in the rain and the fans brought back the "REG-GIE" chant.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
    One thing that pisses off is when I show up to the game with my friends or family and go to my seats usually in the upper deck, and some ******* seat crashers are sitting in my seats. This is especially problematic now that the stadium sells out every game. Then you have dicker around showing tickets and compelling the crashers to vacate the seat, only to have them sit mindlessly in some other family's seats in the row in front of you. then, when they show up you get to watch the bickering all over again.

Yes, we are all humans and we all breathe are etc., but we all didn't pay for the same seats. I have little problem with the ushers making sure that the people who paid for specific seats are not inconvenienced by seat crashers. if the fans themselves didn't create the problem, there would be no need for the heavier-handed security.

Which is not to say that the security folks are not ******** as well...they often are.
    I guess I'm just too naive, monkey! I didn't think about people doing that in my prior replies.

I crave free access to all of the stadium purely from a leg-stretching, curious photographer perspective. (aren't we all one of those in B-S-G-D?) I respect others's seat/sections, and come only to snap a few photos from an angle I otherwise could not achieve, and go back to my section.

I guess if this was NINTEEN-08, I'd be craving unfettered access to ALL PASSAGEWAYS of the Lusitania - and to photograph the cabin ONLY of anyone willing to let me - just to document her before the big set up of 1915.

Yankee Stadium - Club Level

Hi-

If standing on the club level behind home plate, does anyone know how far out towards each foul pole the club level goes? Besides the club suites and the Yankee Club, is anything else on that level?

- Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
    One thing that pisses off is when I show up to the game with my friends or family and go to my seats usually in the upper deck, and some ******* seat crashers are sitting in my seats. This is especially problematic now that the stadium sells out every game. Then you have dicker around showing tickets and compelling the crashers to vacate the seat, only to have them sit mindlessly in some other family's seats in the row in front of you. then, when they show up you get to watch the bickering all over again...
    This is a little much. You pull out your tickets and show them to the person in your seat. They then will leave. They may have made an honest mistake and didn't realize where their seats were.

What's this uncomfortable feeling. They are in your seat. They will move. If for some reason they don't, get security.
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Quote Originally Posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
    You pull out your tickets and show them to the person in your seat. They then will leave.
    As many of you might surmise, I like to walk around the ballpark and take pictures. One game at Shea I was so busy taking pictures that I didn't even get to my ticketed upper reserved seat until late in the game, maybe not until the 7th inning. So as I made my way through the row to get to my seat, I was told "Someone's sitting there." I responded, "Yeah, me," and showed 'em my ticket. A little while later, the guy who was sitting there returned, surprised to see me in what he thought was "his" seat, and his buddy had to sheepishly tell him otherwise.

Priceless.
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    As many of you might surmise, I like to walk around the ballpark and take pictures. One game at Shea I was so busy taking pictures that I didn't even get to my ticketed upper reserved seat until late in the game, maybe not until the 7th inning. So as I made my way through the row to get to my seat, I was told "Someone's sitting there." I responded, "Yeah, me," and showed 'em my ticket. A little while later, the guy who was sitting there returned, surprised to see me in what he thought was "his" seat, and his buddy had to sheepishly tell him otherwise.

Priceless.
    That's great. Must have been embarassing for that guy, serves him right.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoMets687 View Post
    Talk about your upsets!
    This guy saying nothing bad about the Yankees, he must have fallen asleep at the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanBx View Post
    Talk about your upsets!
    This guy saying nothing bad about the Yankees, he must have fallen asleep at the keyboard.

You must have me confused with someone else, Chum. Everyone here knows I've heaped praise on all versions of Yankee Stadium and never trash Yankee fans.

ESPN has a really nice feature with 360 degree views inside and outside the stadium:
    http://assets.espn.go.com/i/qtvr/yankee.html

Gary, here's an article for you if you haven't seen it already:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/14/nyregion/14bronx.html

Currently watching the HR Derby from YS. Just wondering which cities Chris Berman will namedrop in response to a long HR. I predict "that one is halfway to Yonkers" and "that one's on it's way to Bristol". That schtick is so predictable now it's become a joke. I wonder if he's in on it?

It's 8:30. I'm surprised he hasn't started yet.
    Last edited by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock; 07-14-2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling "predictable"

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast