Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] (1976 - 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
    One thing that pisses off is when I show up to the game with my friends or family and go to my seats usually in the upper deck, and some ******* seat crashers are sitting in my seats. This is especially problematic now that the stadium sells out every game. Then you have dicker around showing tickets and compelling the crashers to vacate the seat, only to have them sit mindlessly in some other family's seats in the row in front of you. then, when they show up you get to watch the bickering all over again...
    This is a little much. You pull out your tickets and show them to the person in your seat. They then will leave. They may have made an honest mistake and didn't realize where their seats were.

What's this uncomfortable feeling. They are in your seat. They will move. If for some reason they don't, get security.
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Quote Originally Posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
    You pull out your tickets and show them to the person in your seat. They then will leave.
    As many of you might surmise, I like to walk around the ballpark and take pictures. One game at Shea I was so busy taking pictures that I didn't even get to my ticketed upper reserved seat until late in the game, maybe not until the 7th inning. So as I made my way through the row to get to my seat, I was told "Someone's sitting there." I responded, "Yeah, me," and showed 'em my ticket. A little while later, the guy who was sitting there returned, surprised to see me in what he thought was "his" seat, and his buddy had to sheepishly tell him otherwise.

Priceless.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    As many of you might surmise, I like to walk around the ballpark and take pictures. One game at Shea I was so busy taking pictures that I didn't even get to my ticketed upper reserved seat until late in the game, maybe not until the 7th inning. So as I made my way through the row to get to my seat, I was told "Someone's sitting there." I responded, "Yeah, me," and showed 'em my ticket. A little while later, the guy who was sitting there returned, surprised to see me in what he thought was "his" seat, and his buddy had to sheepishly tell him otherwise.

Priceless.
    That's great. Must have been embarassing for that guy, serves him right.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoMets687 View Post
    Talk about your upsets!
    This guy saying nothing bad about the Yankees, he must have fallen asleep at the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanBx View Post
    Talk about your upsets!
    This guy saying nothing bad about the Yankees, he must have fallen asleep at the keyboard.

You must have me confused with someone else, Chum. Everyone here knows I've heaped praise on all versions of Yankee Stadium and never trash Yankee fans.

ESPN has a really nice feature with 360 degree views inside and outside the stadium:
    http://assets.espn.go.com/i/qtvr/yankee.html

Gary, here's an article for you if you haven't seen it already:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/14/nyregion/14bronx.html

Currently watching the HR Derby from YS. Just wondering which cities Chris Berman will namedrop in response to a long HR. I predict "that one is halfway to Yonkers" and "that one's on it's way to Bristol". That schtick is so predictable now it's become a joke. I wonder if he's in on it?

It's 8:30. I'm surprised he hasn't started yet.
    Last edited by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock; 07-14-2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling "predictable"

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    Currently watching the HR Derby from YS. Just wondering which cities Chris Berman will namedrop in response to a long HR. I predict "that one is halfway to Yonkers" and "that one's on it's way to Bristol". That schtick is so predictable now it's become a joke. I wonder if he's in on it?

And he jsut said staten island at the 26th HR

Chris Berman's schtik was cute in 1979 when he, ESPN (and cable TV) were a novelty. Now they're all a colossal bore and have made asses of themselves.

Yeah. So far tonight, I've also heard Hunters Point, Pelham, and the moon.

Given some of Hamilton blasts, I'll give Berman a pass. What a power display. What I'd give to see a ball clear the frieze.

Yeah. So far tonight, I've also heard Hunters Point, Pelham, and the moon.

Given some of Hamilton blasts, I'll give Berman a pass. What a power display. What I'd give to see a ball clear the frieze.
    The way the cameramen are working tonight, if someone does hit one out they will no doubt miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
    The way the cameramen are working tonight, if someone does hit one out they will no doubt miss it.
    C'mon, they were probably drinking in the bowling alley across the street before they went on the air

Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Gary, here's an article for you if you haven't seen it already:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/14/nyregion/14bronx.html
    Not only have I already seen it, but I actually bought the paper so I could read it! (I don't normally read the Times, but they mentioned this article on NY1's "In The Papers" segment so I made sure I got a copy.)

That was a good article. It's interesting to read about life across from Yankee Stadium from the perspective of the people who actually do live there.

Can you, or anyone else, post a still from that 360-degree view from the roof of 831 Gerard?
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Can you, or anyone else, post a still from that 360-degree view from the roof of 831 Gerard?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Wouldn't mind living near 1923 or 2009, as long as I had triple-paned glass on the windows in my apt and a good A/C!

Since we are on the topic does anyone beleive that josh gibson actually hit one out of the stadium? I mean he was a B.A.!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Since we are on the topic does anyone beleive that josh gibson actually hit one out of the stadium? I mean he was a B.A.!
    I remember reading an article a while ago somewhere here on BBF that quoted Gibson as saying that he actually hit it across the roof of the left field upper deck and landed in the visiting bullpen.
    ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Give him a little break--broadcasting is not as easy for him without his 222s.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrig27 View Post
    I remember reading an article a while ago somewhere here on BBF that quoted Gibson as saying that he actually hit it across the roof of the left field upper deck and landed in the visiting bullpen.
    A big homerun but not as big as the rumors huh?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    A big homerun but not as big as the rumors huh?
    Apparently, but still a prodigious shot.
    ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

There was a really interesting article in the post about some of the hidden places and treasures in Yankee Stadium including the Gehrig pole, secret vault and the championship banners. here's the link: http://www.nypost.com/seven/07142008...780.htm?page=1

The Yankees switched dugouts in the mid 1940s. Jacob Ruppert died in 1939.
    He had nothing to do with the switch.

Once again, the modern "sportswriters" show that they know nothing at all of Yankee history they didn't directly observe. They'll believe, and print, anything they're told (especially if it's Tony Morante that's doing the telling.)

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast