Page 10 of 88 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Stadium Demolition

Quote Originally Posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
    GET the facts right Tiger Stadium is not falling apart.
    Well it is falling apart now.

Demo crew is having a ball.

Sorry, but I will be glad to see the eyesore gone, do you have any money to contribute ???

I'm seriously in mourning. Tiger Stadium (decrepit or not) was the soul of the city. It was a place where people of all classes converged. Families have lifetime memories. World history was made. Records were not only broken, but set. All the greats played there.

I'll never forget my 1st time in Tiger Stadium. Tigers vs Boston. May 20th, 1978. The most vivid memory is walking through the concourse and catching a glimpse of green and blue through every entrance. Then stepping into the stadium, seeing the explosion of color, then seeing my heroes in person, still larger than life. Rusty Staub, Alan Trammel, Lou Whitaker, Jason Thompson, Aurelio Rodriquez, Steve Kemp. The sounds, the smell of the giant Ballpark dinner franks. If heaven will be like that day, it will be bliss.

I'm living in Minneapolis now, so I can't be there to say goodbye. By the time I'm there in September, it will be gone. But I'm so grateful that you people are posting images. Its saving me the trouble of taking the week off work (w/o pay) and driving to Detroit with $4 gas.

Keep em coming, please.

You know what would be cool? Somebody needs to build a replica of Tiger Stadium - on the scale of a wiffle ball field.

Wiffle ball home run derby at Tiger Stadium!

In all seriousness, if this ballpark was falling apart wouldn't they have been demolishing it in a different way? If the upper deck was so worn out and unstable I would think they wouldn't bring equipment underneath that level and take out the lower stands first. Seems like there would be a danger of an overhead collapse if the structure was falling apart. They would be putting employees and equipment in danger.

Plus, I think they probably would've fenced off the property long before the one week prior to demolition so there would be a safe perimeter. If the ballpark structure was so weak I imagine they would hit the upper level first and begin clearing the piles. I'm not taking any sides here, but it has just been my observation from the photos that have been posted. Then again, I'm no structural engineer.

Despite the arguments in this thread, I am sorry for those who have such an attachment to Tiger Stadium. Although people like Polo Grounds probably knew demolition was its ultimate fate, I'm sure it is still hard to witness nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Beech Cricker View Post
    I forgot to address this. You're correct--maintenance alone is not sufficient. Proper maintenance PLUS periodic renovations are needed. The Tigers, with help and support from government, chose to build new as opposed to do another renovation, e.g. the Cochrane Plan. That was their business decision. I understand that.

I'm not anti new ballpark per se. Like anything, there are good and bad aspects of the new parks.

Jeff
    The FACT is that Tiger Stadium was decrepit.

The OPINION is in regard to whether or not it should have been renovated or replaced. You DID say that you understand.

WHY do people here claim to "understand," but then continue to attempt to argue OTHERWISE?

Again, I saw the place with my own eyes. I LOVED THE PLACE, but it was STILL A DUMP. It was loved, it was maintained within reason, and you know what?? It Still needed to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigMotor View Post
    The FACT is that Tiger Stadium was decrepit.

The OPINION is in regard to whether or not it should have been renovated or replaced. You DID say that you understand.

WHY do people here claim to "understand," but then continue to attempt to argue OTHERWISE?

Again, I saw the place with my own eyes. I LOVED THE PLACE, but it was STILL A DUMP. It was loved, it was maintained within reason, and you know what?? It Still needed to be replaced.
    Let's back up--maybe with a common agreement on terms we can end up on the same path: define decrepit and how Tiger Stadium fit your definition.

This thread is sure entertaining...... I have a hard time not wanting them to knock down some more, and maybe take some orange seats out to the fence, reach over the top as though to hand them out, only to pull them back at the last second, grind em up and make them into plastic Hannah Montana dolls with the Kung Fu Grip, selling them at outrageous profit margins.

I know, I know, terrible thing to post. You guys with the attachment to TS are really having a hard time with these last few days.

I wonder how much this is a factor....

There is no replacement stadium to look forward to... Comerica Antiseptic Beautiful Popular Ballpark with a World Series Under it's Belt Already and Nearly Loved by all Ballpark (that's the official name I hear) is nearly a decade old now. There is not even one speck of anticipation of something new or different to accompany demolition... only destruction and pain.... and melting plastic seats you would give an arm for being turned in to jailbait singer dollies.

Anyway, I'm being entertained! My feet are up and I'm following along!

nachos.jpg
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt121966 View Post
    Well it is falling apart now.

Demo crew is having a ball.

Sorry, but I will be glad to see the eyesore gone, do you have any money to contribute ???
    OMG! LMAO!!

That's a pretty jarring image.

Here are some pics I took today around noon.

Welcome to Tiger Stadium...notice the green grass and the brown infield dirt through the screen.

A view of the demolition scene from the pedestrian catwalk over I-75.

There was a steady stream of Tiger fans stopping by to check out the scene.

Demolition has continued up into the upper deck bleachers.

Here is the construction of this very portion the stadium in 1937.

A closeup view of the original exterior underneath the aluminum siding. Why did they ever cover it up?

A good view of the underside of the upper deck bleachers.

Demolition crew discussing what to have for lunch.

A view inside the guts of the stadium.

A view of Tiger Stadium through the ghetto palms that have emerged around the site.
    Last edited by Armando Criscione; 07-10-2008 at 07:23 PM.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Armando Criscione; 07-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by curb my enthusiasm View Post
    You know what would be cool? Somebody needs to build a replica of Tiger Stadium - on the scale of a wiffle ball field.

Wiffle ball home run derby at Tiger Stadium!
    If my fiance were here, she would tell you not to encourage me. Growing up on the southwest side of Detroit we played in my backyard, where there was a porch for the 2nd floor tenant, and even that was a cool feeling, "to park one upstairs". I've always wanted to have enough land to build a 1/3 scale MLB park for wiffle ball.

As far as the stadium being torn down, I think I'm becoming ok. Like my Dad said, we always have our memories, we always have movies, dvd and pictures. I kind of feel like I've lost a member of my family who had been very ill for an extended period of time. You hate that they're gone, but you don't want them suffering anymore. I hated driving by the Stadium and seeing what was happening to it.
    "Straight ball I hit it very much, curveball, bats are afraid"

Quote Originally Posted by Armando Criscione View Post
    Here are some pics I took today around noon.
    Thanks for the pix, Armando.

I can't help buy notice the demo companies' equipment--all seemingly new and shiny Hummers, Cats and material haulers. Heck, even the latter has a cab with a fancy paint job. There must be good money in demolition.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by tmorss9 View Post
    I kind of feel like I've lost a member of my family who had been very ill for an extended period of time. You hate that they're gone, but you don't want them suffering anymore. I hated driving by the Stadium and seeing what was happening to it.

That is a good way to look look at the situation. I like it.

I was thinking the other day if it would be better to have a slow demolition like is going on now or to have it blown up and basically be gone all at once, a la Three Rivers Stadium (this assumes the effort to save the home plate area of the stadium is not in the picture). Though the slow demo is agonizing I guess I would prefer that as history can be recorded as it progresses, plus long unseen details of the stadium, e.g. the green vents, are getting exposed.

Jeff

Thanks Tiger Stadium!

Of course, this is agonizing. It's also frustrating for some reason I can't explain. I have memories of games at Tiger Stadium with family and friends that are just so vivid and embedded in my memory that they are on par with the best memories I have of them. Even though I did more things than attend baseball games with them, somehow those moments at the old ballpark are some of the strongest I've shared with them. So as they say, "Thanks for all the memories!" The home of the Detroit Tigers was like an extension of our family's home. Tough to see it go, but glad to have been around when it was always good for a baseball game or two.

Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy

Also want to mention the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy now has over 12,000 hits on their "savetigerstadium.org" website. Whatever the results of their efforts I'll continue to see the glass half-full and appreciate whatever they can do. As the OTSC has said, any amount is appreciated as the show of support can say as much as the final total. Thanks!

Hey Captain if you are going down there this weekend if you want to meet down there let me know in a PM about what time you will be there, i live only about 10 minutes away.
    I'll let you know. It does depend on my schedule in regards to what is planned with my friends/family in Oakland County. I wasn't able to go there in my visit last month.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Tiger Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by LolichCombo View Post
    Also want to mention the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy now has over 12,000 hits on their "savetigerstadium.org" website. Whatever the results of their efforts I'll continue to see the glass half-full and appreciate whatever they can do. As the OTSC has said, any amount is appreciated as the show of support can say as much as the final total. Thanks!
    I have talked to people from that group and have been told that they have a great chance to get the money to save the homeplate portion of Tiger Stadium.i was also told that they may even be able to save all of the upper deck behind homeplate. they also are going to put up one of the scoreboards that are in storage now.
    there is even a chance that the office building on Michigan and Trumbull can be saved. but i am worried that the city has allready made there mind up and will be saying so on August 1 even if this group comes up with the money.
    I think that the mayor did the extension to August 1 just so it would look good for him. the strange thing is that in the newspaper the city has said that they are saving the flag pole and the foul poles but nothing was said about the homeplate portion of the stadium. Hmm we will see very soon.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Thanks

Thanks for the info Donald. Not being in Detroit, I can't get this stuff first hand. In any case, it sounds encouraging. Am thrilled for any part of the old park to get a reprieve. The more the better. I hope you are planning to go to the OTSC evening at the Anchor Bar on July 17th. Wish I could go. A number of their board members will be there. In any case, I've made a donation and will do so again with my next paycheck. Cheers.

fund raiser

I saw in the paper that there is going to be a fund raiser by the group at the Anchor Bar on July 17. i dont know where this bar is at.it will be from 6:30-10PM on that date of 7-17-2008.there will be a 10 dollar cover charge that will be going towards the fund to save Tiger Stadium. you will also have the chance to ask questions to the members of this group.Jeff if you are planning to go let me know since i will be working then and i will give you some money towards the group.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

I saw in the paper that there is going to be a fund raiser by the group at the Anchor Bar on July 17. i dont know where this bar is at.it will be from 6:30-10PM on that date of 7-17-2008.there will be a 10 dollar cover charge that will be going towards the fund to save Tiger Stadium. you will also have the chance to ask questions to the members of this group.Jeff if you are planning to go let me know since i will be working then and i will give you some money towards the group.
    Donald/all:

The Anchor Bar is at 450 W. Fort Street, downtown. Their phone number is (313) 964-9127. The bar is between 1st and Cass, one block north of Cobo.
    I'm thinking about going to this.

Jeff

Metro Times Article

Here is an article from the Metro Times on the Conservancy and the Anchor Bar event:

http://metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=13057

Jeff

Considering what is going on currently, and the decision to save the field and flag poles, what exactly are they trying to save?
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    Considering what is going on currently, and the decision to save the field and flag poles, what exactly are they trying to save?
    Short answer: the field and the stands (at least the lower deck) from dugout to dugout. As for the specifics I'm not really sure. Their plan is at their website:

http://www.savetigerstadium.org/

however Donald has told me that he heard that this plan is dated.

The Thursday pow-wow will likely provide more info.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Beech Cricker View Post
    Short answer: the field and the stands (at least the lower deck) from dugout to dugout. As for the specifics I'm not really sure. Their plan is at their website:

http://www.savetigerstadium.org/

however Donald has told me that he heard that this plan is dated.

The Thursday pow-wow will likely provide more info.

Jeff
    Thanks. I think it goes without saying that anyone in attendance will inform us of what happened.
    Robin JEDI

Page 10 of 88 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast