Page 56 of 88 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2180

Thread: Tiger Stadium Demolition

Quote Originally Posted by NotAboutEgo View Post
    Love the sign! Great idea! Are there more around the ballpark?
    The banner in the photo and one more are on each of the two front gates at Brooks Lumber Co. on Trumbull.

Donald will have the third banner and erect it on the pedestrian bridge when he is present.
    Jeff

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Beech Cricker View Post
    The banner in the photo and one more are on each of the two front gates at Brooks Lumber Co. on Trumbull.

Donald will have the third banner and erect it on the pedestrian bridge when he is present.
    That's awesome!

9-1-2008

On Labor Day Monday Sept 1 2008 at 11:30am at the Tiger Stadium Pedestrain bridge i will be playing the game from 6-20-1977 New York Yankees at Detroit Tigers from Tiger Stadium. Pitching for the YANKEES will be Don Gullett and for Detroit will be MARK THE BIRD FIDRYCH. i will also have the national anthem from this came at Tiger Stadium.
    have a great holiday weekend and come on down to Tiger Stadium and listen to some classic baseball and show your support for keeping Tiger Stadium.

I will anounce the games that i will be playing on Saturday and Sunday on Thursday.
    Last edited by POLO GROUNDS 1957; 08-27-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: SPELLING
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

REMINDER--OTSC Fundraiser

Tiger Stadium Fundraiser Tonight

Come watch the Tigers take on the Cleveland Indians tonight, Wednesday, August 27, at Gusoline Alley in downtown Royal Oak and help preserve a portion of historic Tiger Stadium.

The fun gets started at 6 p.m.

Great live music will be provided at the fundraiser by Niko Frangos (from Gino Fanelli's Red Hot Sugar Daddies) and other special guests.

Gusoline Alley is located at 309 S. Center St. in downtown Royal Oak, between Third and Fourth.

A $10 donation per patron is recommended.
    All proceeds benefit the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy (OTSC).

From 1912 to 1999, the corner of Michigan and Trumbull was the home of the Detroit Tigers. Today, the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy is hard at work trying to preserve part of the old ballpark and to do something that's never before been done in the United States with a major-league field.

But if a portion of the stadium is to remain, we need your help. The City of Detroit has given the OTSC until November 1 to show it has a comprehensive financial plan for its goal to preserve part of the park and to operate a Michigan sports museum on-site.

The OTSC is hard at work raising funds, and needs to raise an additional $119,000 before September 8 to retain the option of preserving the field and the most historic portions of Tiger Stadium. Additional monies will need to be raised during the fall for pre-development expenses.

If you can't make it to the fundraiser, you can make a tax-deductible donation at:

www.savetigerstadium.org.
    Jeff

i see alot of seat backs are being sold online on ebay. even some orange ones. i betcha they're from the tiger stadium wreckage

Quote Originally Posted by Beech Cricker View Post
    If you can't make it to the fundraiser, you can make a tax-deductible donation at:
    Tax deductible? how did they figure that? Helping sick kids, funding medical research, that's the only stuff that should be tax deductible.

Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    Tax deductible? how did they figure that? Helping sick kids, funding medical research, that's the only stuff that should be tax deductible.
    Sigh...why not take your political commentary elsewhere?
    Jeff

The IRS maps it all out quite nicely.

There's more than one personal cause out there. No one's going to say those things are not important. But there's far, far more needing charitable assistance beyond medical assistance. To throw all else to the wayside, is well, we don't need to go there here.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Saving Tiger Stadium has definite cultural advantages to the city of Detroit.

Yes, you should be able to deduct donations.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    ...as if the medical companies, insurances companies, and pharmaceuticals don't already make a killing off most people... milking them dry and keeping them sick so they can milk them dry some more...

OK, I'll jump down from that soap box.

I went by TS last night on my way to the Tigers game. It sure looks weird with most of it gone. It's cool to be able to see the field from the streets, but at the same time it's weird with most of it gone and still is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor_gogol View Post
    Saving Tiger Stadium has definite cultural advantages to the city of Detroit.

Yes, you should be able to deduct donations.
    Make that two Stroh's.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Sorry if this has been covered already, but are they selling things to help raise the money? Selling might not be the right word. Can we send a 'donation' for a piece of the old ball yard?

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered already, but are they selling things to help raise the money? Selling might not be the right word. Can we send a 'donation' for a piece of the old ball yard?
    No, at least not at this point as the City of Detroit, not the Conservancy, has possession of the title to the property that is Tiger Stadium.
    Jeff

I just sent this letter to every council member. I thought you would be interested, so I'm sharing it with you guys.

Your Honors,

I'm not sure if you recognize the awesome opportunity that is presenting itself to the City of Detroit with the Tiger Stadium property and a partially conserved Tiger Stadium.

There is a wide range of development and economic potential for that property WITH the field intact and conservation of the Navin portion of the stadium.

I understand that you currently are working with the Tiger Stadium conservancy on their plans. Beyond what they have offered for potential use of the Stadium lot, there is so much more that the city itself could benefit from developing the property.

Look at all that space in the outfield where the stands used to be. That land overlooking the wonderful view of the field could be a gold mine for the city. Lofts with a rear view of the field would sell at a premium. High end and mid-range trendy restaurants with out door patios and decks overlooking the field would be an attraction bringing in visitors from all over the Metro Detroit area and mid-west. There is room for retail. Specialty grocery stores. The possibilities are endless.

Additionally, council members have mentioned the racist history of the Detroit Tigers as well as major league baseball. You have an opportunity at your hands that will disappear once the entire stadium is demolished. A National African American Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. It will not right the wrongs of the past, but it will honor those who fought through the racism and continued to play despite the adversity. It would also serve to educate.

The downtown area is riddled with vacant lots, abandoned buildings and lost hope. Tearing down the entire stadium will not only diminish the value of the property but will diminish the opportunities for cultural advancement and economic possibilities.

If the conservancy's outline for conservation doesn't meet your requirements for economic sustainability, I urge you to consider other options and other developers. This is a historical landmark that could reap cultural and economic rewards for the city. Once it is gone, the opportunities are lost.

Sincerely,
    Eric Toth
    Last edited by doctor_gogol; 08-28-2008 at 09:14 AM.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    I just sent this letter to every council member. I thought you would be interested, so I'm sharing it with you guys.

Your Honors,

I'm not sure if you recognize the awesome opportunity that is presenting itself to the City of Detroit with the Tiger Stadium property and a partially conserved Tiger Stadium.

There is a wide range of development and economic potential for that property WITH the field intact and conservation of the Navin portion of the stadium.

I understand that you currently are working with the Tiger Stadium conservancy on their plans. Beyond what they have offered for potential use of the Stadium lot, there is so much more that the city itself could benefit from developing the property.

Look at all that space in the outfield where the stands used to be. That land overlooking the wonderful view of the field could be a gold mine for the city. Lofts with a rear view of the field would sell at a premium. High end and mid-range trendy restaurants with out door patios and decks overlooking the field would be an attraction bringing in visitors from all over the Metro Detroit area and mid-west. There is room for retail. Specialty grocery stores. The possibilities are endless.

Additionally, council members have mentioned the racist history of the Detroit Tigers as well as major league baseball. You have an opportunity at your hands that will disappear once the entire stadium is demolished. A National African American Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. It will not right the wrongs of the past, but it will honor those who fought through the racism and continued to play despite the adversity. It would also serve to educate.

The downtown area is riddled with vacant lots, abandoned buildings and lost hope. Tearing down the entire stadium will not only diminish the value of the property but will diminish the opportunities for cultural advancement and economic possibilities.

If the conservancy's outline for conservation doesn't meet your requirements for economic sustainability, I urge you to consider other options and other developers. This is a historical landmark that could reap cultural and economic rewards for the city. Once it is gone, the opportunities are lost.

Sincerely,
    Eric Toth
    Great letter! Keep us posted as to whether they answer you or not (yeah, I know the answer to that one).

I find it very interesting that the council states that the Tigers and MLB have been racist (I agree with that point), yet they're the ones who've let Ilitch call the shots on Tiger Stadium!!!

Weekend games on audio

Well on Saturday i will be playing the following 2 games starting at 1PM on the pedestrain bridge next to Tiger Stadium

1) 1971 ALLSTAR GAME AT TIGER STADIUM NBC RADIO
    2)10-11-1987 game 4 PLAYOFFS MINNESOTA at DETROIT TIGERS NBC TV AUDIO

SUNDAY AT 12 NOON

1)6-1-1968 NEW YORK YANKEES AT DETROIT TIGERS NY RADIO
    2) 9-20-1983 BALTIMORE at DETROIT TIGERS WJR RADIO
    DETROIT SCORES 11 RUNS IN 1ST INNING

I have all ready posted the game for Monday and what time i will be down there. come on Down to Tiger Stadium and listen to these classic games and show your support for keeping Tiger Stadium. Look for the banner on the bridge.

Labor day

Quote Originally Posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
    On Labor Day Monday Sept 1 2008 at 11:30am at the Tiger Stadium Pedestrain bridge i will be playing the game from 6-20-1977 New York Yankees at Detroit Tigers from Tiger Stadium. Pitching for the YANKEES will be Don Gullett and for Detroit will be MARK THE BIRD FIDRYCH. i will also have the national anthem from this came at Tiger Stadium.
    have a great holiday weekend and come on down to Tiger Stadium and listen to some classic baseball and show your support for keeping Tiger Stadium.

I will anounce the games that i will be playing on Saturday and Sunday on Thursday.
    Here is the game and starting time for Monday 9-1-2008

Quote Originally Posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
    2) 9-20-1983 BALTIMORE at DETROIT TIGERS WJR RADIO
    If thats a Harwell and Carey game, I'd like to buy a copy from you

Quote Originally Posted by NotAboutEgo View Post
    Great letter! Keep us posted as to whether they answer you or not (yeah, I know the answer to that one).
    I'm not counting on hearing anything. I just wanted to plant a seed. A National African American BB HOF would be great for the city. Therefore, it will never happen.

Ernie & Paul's run ended in 1991.

Yes this game is a WJR GAME WITH Harwell and Carey. send me a PM and i can tell you were you can get this game and other games from Tiger Stadium.

Audios

Go to ebay and look for seller PALMER999 that is Danrick Enterprises and he sells all of the old games from Tiger Stadium.

That guy's listings is at http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...sassZpalmer999. Audio cassettes, what - they were out of 8-tracks?? lol, talk about stone age technology

Audios tiger stadium

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    That guy's listings is at http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...sassZpalmer999. Audio cassettes, what - they were out of 8-tracks?? lol, talk about stone age technology
    Type out what season that you are looking for and that will show what games he has for that season including all of the Tiger games from that season.he has home and road games.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Harwell and Carey are much better to listen to in their original smoke-signal format.

Page 56 of 88 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast