Page 6 of 88 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Stadium Demolition

Armando, great find! There's a few good ones there -

Seats

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Armando, great find! There's a few good ones there -

I am really afraid of these seats ending up in a landfill or the scrap yard.like i said earlier I DONT TRUST THIS COMPANY.you can now see the reason for the curtain over the fence so nobody can see whats going on there.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Really dumb question....but is that Sony JumboTron salvagable?

Another really, really dumb question... the ads that are still up are all leftovers from '99, right?
    X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
    I am really afraid of these seats ending up in a landfill or the scrap yard.
    What would be wrong if they did end up in the scrap yard?

Quote Originally Posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
    like i said earlier I DONT TRUST THIS COMPANY.you can now see the reason for the curtain over the fence so nobody can see whats going on there.
    Was it honestly a mystery to you? This demolition has been planned for years, is highly publicized, and long overdue. If you really needed these pictures to know that they were taking it down, then perhaps you're in the wrong place.

Back-door dealings in city government. A little paranoid aren't we?
    If you have been following the political scene in Detroit during the last decade, back-door dealings have been the norm. City council members being investigated by the FBI, a mayor that may be removed from office by the governor and much more - mainly the results of back door dealings.

And yes, the scoreboard is showing ads from 1999.

Update

Well i called Channels 7 and 4 this morning about those orange seats, channel 7 sent a helicopter out this morning and you can see all of those orange seats untouched in the upper deck all the way around into foul territory.both stations said that they will look into this. i also called MCM DEMOLITION and was told by them that as of right now those seats will not be made avalible to the public. but she did take my name and phone incase they were.
    I also called Steve Tobocman office and was told that he will be out of town this week. i also suggested to the TV stations about sending reporters to the Detroit city council about selling these orange seats to the fans who cared about Tiger Stadium instead of trashing them.the city council could halt the demolition so these seats could be taken out for sale. Stay tuned to see what happens

Tiger Stadium

I was just told by a friend that you can go to

WXYZ.COM

to view the footage from todays channel 7 news showing Tiger Stadium and those orange seats.

Quote Originally Posted by placount View Post
    What would be wrong if they did end up in the scrap yard?

Because people might want them. Because the city is supposedly strapped for cash and is throwing away a revenue source. Look at how much seats from ballparks go for online. You can EASILY get $150 per seat from a ball park like Tiger Stadium, so 15K seats thats $2.25 million that the stupid city is throwing away.

Despite all the stupid things Cleveland does at least we got cash for the remnants of Muni when it went down.

Thanks for the video link, Donald.

Not only are the seats gone in left field, the entire lower grandstand is gone.

I would have thought that they would have demolished the upper deck first. Maybe getting rid of the lower deck first makes it easier to clean up the mess?

I'd rather have an old wooden seat from Tiger Stadium that was there for years and years, but i'd settle for a seat that is currently in the stadium. Weren't they replaced in the 70's ??

Also, is home plate still there ? I can't tell from the photos. I just want something from Tiger Stadium... heck i'd even settle for some dirt in the infield lol, but a brick or part of the fence or something.

Home plate is indeed gone.

Interestingly, the pitching rubbers in the bullpen remained there from the final game until the stadium auction last November.

It would have been nice to be able to get a piece of the fence from the outfield wall. Too bad.

I was just told by a friend that you can go to

WXYZ.COM

to view the footage from todays channel 7 news showing Tiger Stadium and those orange seats.
    Just saw the story on television. The only mention was that demolition has indeed begun and showed some helicopter shots of the bulldozer under the bleachers in right-center. No mention of anything else substantial.

Home plate was dug up and moved to Comerica Park immediately following the last game in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by JT7 View Post
    Really dumb question....but is that Sony JumboTron salvagable?
    I have heard that replacement parts for them are all but non-existent at this point. Otherwise, some high school would probably be thrilled to have it.

I can't believe they're going to trash those seats.

IIRC, the orange seats were not available (or very limited) at the Tiger Stadium auction last year. Truth be told, while I am thrilled with the seats that I do have, I originally did want a set of orange ones. I would most definately by a set of those.

Quote Originally Posted by aqib View Post
    Because people might want them. Because the city is supposedly strapped for cash and is throwing away a revenue source. Look at how much seats from ballparks go for online. You can EASILY get $150 per seat from a ball park like Tiger Stadium, so 15K seats thats $2.25 million that the stupid city is throwing away.
    However, the city would presumably have to pay the demolition company extra to preserve them (it would take labor to remove the seats whole rather then just smash through them). Or, the city would allow the demolition company to salvage them and sell them for a profit, with the city taking a slice. It may not have been worth it if the profit to the city was small.

In either case, there is no way the city would have realize 100% from the sale price of the seats.

Update

Everyone MCM demolition is handling the demolition i was told on Monday that those seats were not going to be offered to the public. i say this if we can get people to call the Demo company about those seats maybe something can happen

Here is the phone number to MCM DEMOLITION who is handling the demo

1-248-932-9600

I am thinking about calling some of the local radio stations to see if i can get the info on the air including the demo companys phone number so people can call and complain about those seats. lets hope that something good can happen about those orange seats.

Don't you have better things to do with your time, Donald?

Tiger Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by NEWAROD View Post
    I work 8 hours a day.and i have been with the Tiger Stadium fan club for years. so i want everyone to have a chance at getting a seat from Tiger Stadium. there are plenty of people out here that love Tiger Stadium and would love to have a seat from her.
    and maybe that portion behind homeplate can be saved also.

Quote Originally Posted by NEWAROD View Post
    Newarod, a lot of people could ask that very same question of you... and of me... and of everyone else on the Ballpark boards right here at the Baseball Fever.

Tiger Stadium is the guy's passion. If he wants to make it his life's work, even to the extent of not going to see the Tigers at Comerica Park, that's his right.
    X
    I wonder what itís like after death. Probíly itís like it is bífore birth. Is it nothing? Non-existence? Thatís not hard tíunderstand, but itís hard for people tíaccept. Itís hard for them to imagine not existing because all of their memories are of their existence, not non-existence. Aní people ainít too crazy about the idea of themselves not existing. - Harvey Pekar, ďShort Weekend: A Story About the Cosmic and the Ordinary,Ē American Splendor #3, 1978.

As someone who is as close if not closer to Tiger Stadium in spirit than Donald is, and someone who does not see eye to eye with him on a few issues regarding Tiger Stadium, I can do nothing but applaud his efforts regarding the orange seats. What he's doing here is working toward a positive for all involved, not just himself and those in the TS fan club.

I think the $150 aqib said the seats could go for is very, very conservative.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
    However, the city would presumably have to pay the demolition company extra to preserve them (it would take labor to remove the seats whole rather then just smash through them). Or, the city would allow the demolition company to salvage them and sell them for a profit, with the city taking a slice. It may not have been worth it if the profit to the city was small.

In either case, there is no way the city would have realize 100% from the sale price of the seats.
    Now you are assuming that the city knows what its doing and thinks things through logically. You are talking about Detriot here, one of the most mismanaged cities in North America. Give me and Donald 2 weeks and we would take out those seats ourselves and sell them online and give the city a 25% cut.

I normally don't agree with Donald on a lot of issues, especially concerning the old vs. new ballparks. (I am a big fan of the new ballparks, he is not). But I hope that Donald succeeds with his efforts concerning the orange seats. This is an aspect of history worth preserving.

How many Tiger Stadium seats are currently in the Hall of Fame? I would imagine that there are quite a few from Polo Grounds, Ebbetts Field, Shibe Park, pre-renovated Yankee Stadium, etc.

Page 6 of 88 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast