Thread: Juan Mateo?

Juan Mateo?

What happened to him? Wiki said he got released when he refused assignment to Class A. Why was he sent down, did he fall off the face of the Earth or something? I remember a few years ago thinking he was gonna pretty good someday.
    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Blog Entries
    He's currently contracted to the Pirates, playing for Altoona Curve, their double-a affiliate based in Altoona, Pennsylvania.
    MySpace Codes

Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan97 View Post
    What happened to him? Wiki said he got released when he refused assignment to Class A. Why was he sent down, did he fall off the face of the Earth or something? I remember a few years ago thinking he was gonna pretty good someday.
    He had great stuff and a strong arm but he suffered a shoulder impingement (one or more of the three following: subacromian bursa, supraspinatus, or long head of the biceps tendon) that cost him basically all of the 2007 season. He started the year in Iowa but was demoted to Tenn and was then demoted to Daytona. He was pretty pissed about being sent back down to High A that he threatened retirement and refused to go to Florida (he skipped his booked flight). The Cubs decided it was best just to cut ties with the disgruntled Mateo who wouldn't buy into what the team wanted. Juan became a free agent and signed with the Pirates organization, in AA as a reliever the 25 year old righty has faired very well. From what I've talked to from a Pirates' scout, Mateo fits in very favorably in the Bucs pen for years to come.
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)