Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: R.A. Dickey's elbow

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lowell Point
    Posts
    1,521

    R.A. Dickey's elbow

    Are you aware that Dickey's right elbow does not have an ulnar collateral ligament? He was either born without one or it disintegrated when he was a teenager. His elbow doesn't get sore.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Where all students live...nowhere.
    Posts
    8,900
    I knew about the oddity. It's what allows him to have sucha rubber arm now.

    He's the rare kind of pitcher who could throw 300 innings in today's high-scoring game.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Royal Brougham Way & Occidental Avenue S
    Posts
    2,054
    Blog Entries
    1

    RA Dickey

    Quote Originally Posted by mrakbaseball View Post
    Are you aware that Dickey's right elbow does not have an ulnar collateral ligament? He was either born without one or it disintegrated when he was a teenager. His elbow doesn't get sore.
    I heard a story (where I can't remember) about Dickey in that he was a bonus baby with the Texas Rangers. Upon viewing Dickey's photo on the cover of Sports Illustrated, the Rangers brain trust noticed no ligament in his right arm and they quickly adjusted their bonus offer from over a million to much less. Isn't that the ligament that most guys get Tommy John surgery ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,438
    I wonder if that's the reason he throws lots of knucklers... You don't need a lot of gas behind those.
    We own the West!

    Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Where all students live...nowhere.
    Posts
    8,900
    Well he's always had that defect and he used to throw 91-94 mph with his fastball...

    He still throws 86-90 with it today.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    8
    That is kinda weird but it would help him with that knuckle ball. He is not a bad pitcher and i am glad that the m's found him. That is also an interesting piece of trivia...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lowell Point
    Posts
    1,521

    Dickey and Sean White off 40-man roster

    R.A Dickey was taken off the 40-man roster Friday. He has a week to accept an assignment to Triple-A Tacoma or elect free agency. It's safe to say we've probably seen the last of the knuckleballer in a Seattle uniform.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Where all students live...nowhere.
    Posts
    8,900
    No it's not.

    He's got no other teams interested. He'll get invited to Mariner ST camp after he accepts his assignment.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    70
    I hope he stays around, I believe that I read something about him working with Phil Niekro on his Knuckleball this offseason, and last season at times he could be extremely effective. He makes a great mopup guy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lowell Point
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by mrakbaseball View Post
    R.A Dickey was taken off the 40-man roster Friday. He has a week to accept an assignment to Triple-A Tacoma or elect free agency. It's safe to say we've probably seen the last of the knuckleballer in a Seattle uniform.
    Quote Originally Posted by SABR Matt View Post
    No it's not.

    He's got no other teams interested. He'll get invited to Mariner ST camp after he accepts his assignment.
    Dickey signed a minor league deal with the Twins on the 24th.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •