Thread: R.A. Dickey's elbow

R.A. Dickey's elbow

Are you aware that Dickey's right elbow does not have an ulnar collateral ligament? He was either born without one or it disintegrated when he was a teenager. His elbow doesn't get sore.

I knew about the oddity. It's what allows him to have sucha rubber arm now.

He's the rare kind of pitcher who could throw 300 innings in today's high-scoring game.

Blog Entries

RA Dickey

Quote Originally Posted by mrakbaseball View Post
    Are you aware that Dickey's right elbow does not have an ulnar collateral ligament? He was either born without one or it disintegrated when he was a teenager. His elbow doesn't get sore.
    I heard a story (where I can't remember) about Dickey in that he was a bonus baby with the Texas Rangers. Upon viewing Dickey's photo on the cover of Sports Illustrated, the Rangers brain trust noticed no ligament in his right arm and they quickly adjusted their bonus offer from over a million to much less. Isn't that the ligament that most guys get Tommy John surgery ?

I wonder if that's the reason he throws lots of knucklers... You don't need a lot of gas behind those.
    We own the West!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Well he's always had that defect and he used to throw 91-94 mph with his fastball...

He still throws 86-90 with it today.

That is kinda weird but it would help him with that knuckle ball. He is not a bad pitcher and i am glad that the m's found him. That is also an interesting piece of trivia...

Dickey and Sean White off 40-man roster

R.A Dickey was taken off the 40-man roster Friday. He has a week to accept an assignment to Triple-A Tacoma or elect free agency. It's safe to say we've probably seen the last of the knuckleballer in a Seattle uniform.

No it's not.

He's got no other teams interested. He'll get invited to Mariner ST camp after he accepts his assignment.

I hope he stays around, I believe that I read something about him working with Phil Niekro on his Knuckleball this offseason, and last season at times he could be extremely effective. He makes a great mopup guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mrakbaseball View Post
    R.A Dickey was taken off the 40-man roster Friday. He has a week to accept an assignment to Triple-A Tacoma or elect free agency. It's safe to say we've probably seen the last of the knuckleballer in a Seattle uniform.
    Quote Originally Posted by SABR Matt View Post
    No it's not.

He's got no other teams interested. He'll get invited to Mariner ST camp after he accepts his assignment.
    Dickey signed a minor league deal with the Twins on the 24th.