Thread: Little League Player development

Little League Player development

Ok guys and gals,

Looks like I'll be taking over our player development(retention) position this coming season (2009) and have a pretty good idea of what our needs are as a league, but wanted to get a general idea of what everyone else thinks a league should focus on. In the past we have a clinic or 2 focused on hitting and maybe pitching or have high school coaches come out. They teach really good stuff, but we're lacking the basics

While pitching and hitting are very important, a clinic isn't going to change much (IMO), that's what coaches clinics should address. I want to use different clinics for different areas and a bigger focus on defense and base running.

What on defense should I start with?
    If we do hitting and pitching, what should I focus on? age depended
    If I invite HS coaches to these clinics is ok to suggest the topics or the depth of the topic? Sometimes they get to techno for a 12U and younger

Big can of worms and I'm a little nervous as an entire league is going to do what I suggest or try and teach.

BTW - A few weeks ago I ask for input on All-Stars and used the feedback and our league finally went more then 2 and out ( 2 and 2), pretty happy with the results! defense is key

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merdon133 View Post
    Ok guys and gals,

Looks like I'll be taking over our player development(retention) position this coming season (2009) and have a pretty good idea of what our needs are as a league, but wanted to get a general idea of what everyone else thinks a league should focus on. In the past we have a clinic or 2 focused on hitting and maybe pitching or have high school coaches come out. They teach really good stuff, but we're lacking the basics

While pitching and hitting are very important, a clinic isn't going to change much (IMO), that's what coaches clinics should address. I want to use different clinics for different areas and a bigger focus on defense and base running.

What on defense should I start with?
    If we do hitting and pitching, what should I focus on? age depended
    If I invite HS coaches to these clinics is ok to suggest the topics or the depth of the topic? Sometimes they get to techno for a 12U and younger

Big can of worms and I'm a little nervous as an entire league is going to do what I suggest or try and teach.

BTW - A few weeks ago I ask for input on All-Stars and used the feedback and our league finally went more then 2 and out ( 2 and 2), pretty happy with the results! defense is key
    Merdon, I began our clinic 10 years ago and found that if I assigned coaches a topic they typically did a great job explaining to new coaches. We have covered everything from fielding ground balls to run downs and base running. If you want to PM me you address I will send you this year's hand-outs to give you a flavor for what we have done. To date we have trained nearly 2000 coaches. CatchingCoach, Coach45 and Jon Doyle have been clinicians at our clinics and I would highly recommend them all.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Thumbs up

Start off with a Charlie Lau video for hitting and a Dr. Marshall video on pitching. Those will get your players started off on the right foot.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmachine#1 View Post
    Start off with a Charlie Lau video for hitting and a Dr. Marshall video on pitching. Those will get your players started off on the right foot.

Blog Entries
    Merdon, BigRed, et al, I have met both men and have reviewed their material and techniques and I would not suggest for this case. Merdon, the biggest challenge, if you are going to be successful in this endeavor, is getting the HS coaches to buy into what you do. Bringing someone in that they have not seen or someone who is as controversial as Doc might just turn people away making it difficult for you to build anything. Sustainability is the key and I feel there are others who would help more, especially in the initial stages or the first few years. I have used some of Doc's material in our clinics.

You can PM Coach45, Catchingcoach and Jon Doyle to get their opinion of what I do. If you want further information after you speak with them you can PM me your phone number and I will contact you.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.