Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trade deadline

I think they have done the best they could under the circumstances.
    I think Nate Robertson has to go in the off season. He'll never be more than a .500 pitcher.
    He's stinking out the joint tonight.

According to DD, the Tigers are still looking to make other deals before the deadline. They'll most likely stand pat, since they got the bullpen help they were after.
    "It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"I played the game long enough to know, and it is impossible for players - I don't care who they are - to hit 70 home runs. It just does not happen." - Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Paulmcall View Post
    I think they have done the best they could under the circumstances.
    I think Nate Robertson has to go in the off season. He'll never be more than a .500 pitcher.
    He's stinking out the joint tonight.
    I know.
    I hate Nate...we should have traded him for something like Chad Moeller. I hate Nate, Virgil Vasquez, Eddie Bonine, Yorman Bazardo would all do better. I swear...

It doesn't help that the outfield is playing like crap though...

Quote Originally Posted by tigers527 View Post
    Really, you really don't know "what has changed"? How about IT'S 5 YEARS LATER and Pudge stopped doing the roids and got 5 years older. If we were talking about 2004 Pudge there is no way he gets traded or at least not for just Farnsworth.

I am not thrilled with the trade but I understand it. I would have liked getting Jesus Montero and David Robertson from the Yankees for Pudge. But that would not help the team very much this season, Farnsworth will help the Tigers this season.
    It's not just about losing Pudge, it's about not trusting Farnsworth. I bought into him big time in '05 and he pulled a prima donna act and forced the club to trade him. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. He's going to have to prove that he's worth the risk the team took.

And yes, I've already heard the argument about how the Tigers weren't a good team in '05 and that's why Farnsworth didn't want to resign. But I also remember him saying he wanted to play for his hometown team and then bringing his gas can to the mound in the playoffs. Why do you think the Yanks were able to sign him?

Once again, if you are happy with the trade, great. I'm not. I don't think Farnsworth is going to be much help and I'd rather make a playoff run with Pudge behind the plate than Inge. That's all.

They should trade Marcus Thames to the NL. He would dominate their pitching...it would be great.

I don't really like him...

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldie View Post
    The thought of trading away still more young prospects leaves a bad taste -- either stand pat or trade Pudge and others to the Marlins for that lefty pitcher currently on the DL -- what's his name, Miller somebody?
    Yes, that's just what we need... another player on the DL... since it's worked so well for us in the past. Willis has been just terrific!!!

NotAboutEgo Guest
    I don't see how Farnsworth is going to make us that much better. I'd rather see Dolsi as the closer. Who wants to bet right now that the Tigers will finish at .500 or just above???

What other moves will the Tigers make, if any? I would like to see them try to trade for George Sherrill and Aubrey Huff. Sherrill could be the lefty reliever the Tigers need. Huff could DH. I'm not sure that the Tigers have what the Orioles want though.

Quote Originally Posted by slugger33 View Post
    What other moves will the Tigers make, if any? I would like to see them try to trade for George Sherrill and Aubrey Huff. Sherrill could be the lefty reliever the Tigers need. Huff could DH. I'm not sure that the Tigers have what the Orioles want though.
    Aren't the Orioles notorious for being hard to trade with? I thought in the '06 off season we tried to get Miguel Tejada and they wanted the world for him and basically made it impossible to trade with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Aren't the Orioles notorious for being hard to trade with? I thought in the '06 off season we tried to get Miguel Tejada and they wanted the world for him and basically made it impossible to trade with them.
    I think you may be right. Didn't the Astros give them 6 prospects just for Tejada?

I think you may be right. Didn't the Astros give them 6 prospects just for Tejada?
    Yeah, five or six if I remember correctly.

Also, Griffey Jr. is now a White Sox.

Blog Entries

I've figured it out....

The Tigers would be a shoe in if only there was a way to trade Chicago and Minnesota to the AL East for Toronto and Baltimore, that would put the Tigers in first.

Keep hope alive.

The Nats released Paul Lo Duca and Johnny Estrada today. Should the Tigers sign one of them? Either one would most likely give more production than Sardinha.

The Nats released Paul Lo Duca and Johnny Estrada today. Should the Tigers sign one of them? Either one would most likely give more production than Sardinha.
    I honestly don't look for a lot of production out of a backup catcher. It's a nice plus if it's there, but I'd rather have a guy who handles the pitching staff well and puts in his homework when it comes to batters.

It's nice to know that there are options out there though. That is if someone like Florida doesn't sign them.

Blog Entries
    If the Tigers wanted to tell me they "aren't giving up this season" they should sign Lo Duca...afterall the biggest drop off from the Pudge trade is back up catcher.

If not sign Lo Duca, give the back up to Skelton (it might help 3 years from now).

You have to wonder about what Lo Duca has left. He was connected with the steroids too. Since that news, he has been all downhill.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulmcall View Post
    You have to wonder about what Lo Duca has left. He was connected with the steroids too. Since that news, he has been all downhill.
    Does he have at least Vance Wilson numbers left in him?

Sardinha is supposed to be a pretty good defensive catcher, and that is all I really look for in the backup role.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tigers527 View Post
    The Tigers would be a shoe in if only there was a way to trade Chicago and Minnesota to the AL East for Toronto and Baltimore, that would put the Tigers in first.

Keep hope alive.
    We once were in the East Division, before expansion. Not a bad idea!!!

NotAboutEgo Guest
    It's hard to have a back-up catcher who can't hit at all, though, considering Wilson was the perfect back-up catcher, both defensively and offensively. It really sucks that he hasn't recovered from his surgeries.

Perhaps we should bring up someone other than Sardinha. When Brandon started playing for the Tigers, he was very young, and people doubted him because of his inexperience and young age. I could see from the get-go that he's a tremendous athlete and that he'd be fine. Perhaps we have another Inge in the minors. I don't follow the minors, so I'm not familiar with who's there.

I know LoDuca had injured himself somehow and was being used more @ 1B than as a catcher. He's pretty much toast nowadays. Not sure what's wrong with Estrada, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd take Estrada. Although to be honest, I wouldn't want either on the team. Let Sardihna get his rips in at the back-up spot, and let Inge have what he's been wanting all year: nobody looking over his shoulder taking playing time away.
    "It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"I played the game long enough to know, and it is impossible for players - I don't care who they are - to hit 70 home runs. It just does not happen." - Hank Aaron

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123