Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtual Olympic Congress

Blog Entries

IBAF reps Lausanne for Friday’s meeting w/ the IOC Programme Commission

Curtis Granderson will be part of the six member delegation.

(LAUSANNE, Switzerland) The International Baseball Federation (IBAF) will present its case for reinstatement in the 2016 Olympic Games this week in Lausanne. In a Friday morning meeting with the International Olympic Committee Programme Commission, the IBAF will have one hour to offer reasons as to why it should be one of the two sports added to the 2016 Olympic Programme when the vote is held in Copenhagen, Denmark in October 2009. The IBAF will be the first of seven federations to present on Friday, with its meeting scheduled to run from 8-9:00 a.m. (local).

Source:http://www.ibaf.org/archives/news/452

Blog Entries

Win a trip to Copenhagen

I just got this email:
    WIN A TRIP TO COPENHAGEN!

ONLY 1 MONTH TO GO!

HAVE YOU MADE YOUR CONTRIBUTION TOTHE VIRTUAL OLYMPIC CONGRESS?
    IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY, CONTRIBUTE TODAY FOR YOURCHANCE TO WIN A TRIP TO COPENHAGEN!
    http://www.2009congress.olympic.org/...s/default.aspx
    PLEASE NOTE THAT THE DEADLINE FOR CONTRIBUTIONS IS 31 DECEMBER 2008
    The 2009 Congress Secretariat INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC CONGRESSChâteau de Vidy1007 Lausanne, SwitzerlandTel: + 41 21 621 6111Email: 2009congress@olympic.org

Blog Entries

A new deadline

New email says:
    IN RESPONSE TO A NUMBER OF REQUESTS AND TO CONTINUE TO ENCOURAGE THE FLOW OF CONTRIBUTIONS, WE ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCED THAT THE IOC HAS DECIDED TO EXTEND THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS TO THE VIRTUAL OLYMPIC CONGRESS.
    PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NEW DEADLINE FOR CONTRIBUTIONS IS THE 28 OF FEBRUARY 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wendt View Post
    Next door there is some discussion of baseball-softball federation.
    That is mainly in page 4 of ". . . MLB players in Olympics". For a little more, go back to page 3, #71.

Federation is likely to be more help than hurt, given the "reality" (how real is it?) that men compete at baseball, women at softball.

In the USA women's baseball is growing again, for this generation, schoolgirls in the 1990s and 2000s. If competitive women's baseball is significant in numerous Olympic nations, that will be a great obstacle; maybe even the re-growth here in the USA will be an insurmountable obstacle. Because women's baseball and women's softball are rival games and institutions.

Ideally, it is easy for an outsider to say, there should be one federation covering baseball and softball, period, which would internally make the decision whether to hold Olympic-level competition in which varieties. Just as the track and field sports authorities decide internally whether to have 3000-km steeplechase for men, 3000-km flat race on the track for women. (I don't know how much that is loosely regulated at a higher level.)

Practically there will be obstacles and baseball-softball federation may even be impossible. But federation should be explored. In my opinion the exploration of baseball-softball federation should be a high priority.
    Okay, this may be the thread for Olympic suggestions, but it's occurred to me that perhaps this idea that we had discussed earlier (about baseball-softball cooperation/federation) could be showcased before the 2016 Olympics in order to really sell the concept and make it easier for baseball and softball to get back in:

Why not have this baseball-softball federation done for the WBC? I read somewhere that the next cricket twenty20 world championships (in England) is supposed to have a men's and women's tournament occurring at the same time, so why couldn't the same be done for the WBC? Have a parallel tournament (WSC) with the women's softball teams from the same 16 countries (or maybe less depending on how good or bad those teams are). From what I understand, that cricket tournament in England is supposed to have separate venues for the men's and women's group stages but the semi-finals and final for both the men and the women will be at the same venues (different times obviously). So what do people think of this? Perhaps for the 2013 WBC they could stage this with a view to replicating the concept for 2016 (hopefully in Chicago or Tokyo).

Maybe I should post this as a separate thread...

Actually this is a good idea. I mentioned in a other thread that BB/Sb would higher their chances to get back in the O Programm if they work together and become one sport played be men and woman. At the moment both count as an extra sport.

BUT

at the moment there are majors problems.
    We have two governing bodys -IBAF and ISF
    ISF will go his way apart of IBAF and is asking BB/SB Federations to split from BB
    BB is also played by woman SB also by men - both are not big enough to force a good tournament. IOC is looking for sports played be men and woman at least on 3/4 of the world. They want to have pros playing etc.
    BB men - ok
    BB woman - no
    SB men - no
    SB woman - ok

Also the WBC is (in my opinion) not an official tournament/title in the world of BB like WC, Continental Championships etc because it is an inivitational tournament with merchandising goals. MLB is not a federation. Their goal is not to develope BB or spread it to the world.
    The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

Also the WBC is (in my opinion) not an official tournament/title in the world of BB like WC, Continental Championships etc because it is an inivitational tournament with merchandising goals. MLB is not a federation. Their goal is not to develope BB or spread it to the world.
    I understand this, and as you know, I agree that baseball-softball cooperation only makes sense if either wants to present a really strong case for returning in the near future.

The problem with the BWC, Intercontinental Cup and Continental Championships is that they aren't nearly high profile enough to help in presenting this proposal. If the BWC, IC and continental championships also held a parallel women's tournament/softball tournament then it may go some way towards building a case, but since the WBC is much more high profile than any of those tournaments, I think a WBC/WSC parallel competition would help seal any deal.

It's a pity though that the ISF, IBAF and the MLB and NPB don't look set to even entertain the idea of baseball-softball cooperating just for the Olympics, let alone in the world cups, intercontinental cups, continental champions and in the WBC in order to help get baseball-softball back into the Olympics. It's not like either party (IBAF or ISF) would really lose out (they would just be holding their international competitions at the same time is all and establishing a WSC). women's baseball and men's softball aren't anywhere near the level required in enough countries to help force either sport back into the Olympics and they probably won't be for at least a decade or two. So until then it would only seem sensible (to me) for them to cooperate (especially as the two sports are so close in character anyway). Either that or they each separately wait until they can present a stronger case for going back into the Olympics with strong men's and women's participation around the world - for the IBAF that may take 10-20 years but for the ISF that could be next to never.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnC View Post
    I agree that baseball-softball cooperation only makes sense if either wants to present a really strong case for returning in the near future.
    I think you may find a recent entry from Dr. Schiller's Blog interesting:
    Many of our member federations around the globe have historically been combined baseball and softball federations. Recently, the International Softball Federation directed the softball component of the federation to separate itself and become independent. We have heard numerous concerns from these combined federations regarding this directive. It is my belief that both softball and baseball would best be served by combining entities as a single sport with men's and women's disciplines for the 2016 Olympic Program.
    Why? Combining these sports would allow the most efficient use of venues among the 2016 candidate cities, allow for significant financial returns for those same cities, recognize the efforts of the many youth programs such as Little League and others that support girl's softball, and offer the Olympic Games itself the opportunity to actually recognize three sports for the 2016 Games.
    We will continue our efforts in discussions with the ISF to work in this regard. All of our member federations can contribute through your support of this effort. Did you know that MLB supports Women's Professional Softball?
    Source: http://ibafbaseball.blogspot.com/sea...&max-results=7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12