Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MANNY Says He Won't Block a Trade!

Bedford Avenue at Sullivan Place in a Marble ROTUNDA

Arrow MANNY Says He Won't Block a Trade!

Regarding Manny....ESPN is reporting the following..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3507249

c.

actions speak louder than words Manny...and your actions right now say you want out. If the sox want to get ANYTHING for Manny, then the time is right now. should be interesting to see who blinks first.

I would be on the phone with the Mets and Phillies to see what is up. LAA would be interested but we would want him out of the AL. The saga continues.

Blog Entries
    Manny will stay as usual. But he isnt the 40hr-slugger anymore.

It'll be interesting to see what the Sox could get for Manny. They probably won't be able to replace his production (even though he's not the hitter he used to be he's still batting around .300 with an OPS+ of 140 and on pace to hit around 30 dingers this year, plus he is a beast in the postseason). If they are willing to practically give him away just to get him off the team then I think a lot of people might be dissapointed with what the Sox get in return. I could see him going to the Mets but what could they send Boston's way?
    "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

We're not going to get anything more than a couple B-level prospects and an average Major League starter or maybe even a player that doesn't play everyday for Manny. He's lowered his own value.
    Ellsbury SB: 54

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan68 View Post
    We're not going to get anything more than a couple B-level prospects and an average Major League starter or maybe even a player that doesn't play everyday for Manny. He's lowered his own value.
    Yet you think we should still trade him? Ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post

Manny is the antithesis of a poor teammate, even for modern times. That being said, I'm usually more surprised by professional athletes that act like decent, normal people rather than 'Manny Being Manny' types, all across the board including guys like Milton Bradley, etc.

If you can't get an amazing trade with Manny, why bother? This PR stuff is beyond lame and there is no way we could have won 2 titles without him. He's a terrible example for kids but that's like shooting fish in a barrel these days. You really have to suck up jerks like Manny and just hope for the best. I wasn't stoked at all when he came from Cleveland and I still don't like him. However, he plays for my favorite team so what am I gonna do?

And yes, watching too much Sports Center will rot your brain to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    If that's the deal we're going to get..no I don't think we should trade him. The only way I see us getting any sort of replacement or upgrade is if we agree to pay the difference in his salary for the rest of this season in which case I would trade him most likely.

My only concern with trading him is the fact that not only do we lose Manny's "potential" bat in the postseason but we also lose Ortiz to an extent. Nobody can protect Ortiz like Manny can. Drew could maybe "make them pay" but that's a big maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan68 View Post
    So we should "Sell" in a season where we are 1.5 GB in the AL East race and currently in lead for the wild card?

My only concern with trading him is the fact that not only do we lose Manny's "potential" bat in the postseason but we also lose Ortiz to an extent. Nobody can protect Ortiz like Manny can. Drew could maybe "make them pay" but that's a big maybe.
    IMO, those two things should be huge concerns. Especally if Ortiz isn't what he usually is the rest of the season.

For all that we want to postulate solutions or argue scenarios, this is a lose-lose for the Sox. I don't have the foggiest idea what they should do. Somehow they need to get him motivated to earn a big deal from someone else in the coming offseason. But can the Big Baby understand that he is hurting his value? Who knows.

Frustrating, to say the least.

And, to clear something up, trading Manny isn't packing it in. The idea would still be to go for it, just with addition by subtraction. And I think moving him would be contingent on at least one more deal. Having said that, I don't expect to see him traded.

Quote Originally Posted by sharrock View Post
    Somehow they need to get him motivated to earn a big deal from someone else in the coming offseason. But can the Big Baby understand that he is hurting his value? Who knows.
    Scott Boras?

Yes, one would think that Boras would be 'working the program' as he calls it. But Manny's actions show that Boras is either not doing a good job or simply doesn't think efforts to control Manny are worthwhile.

And to add to all this mess, Manny referenced Iraq as a place to play. He is just a moron.

And to add to all this mess, Manny referenced Iraq as a place to play. He is just a moron.
    It's called exaggeration. He was making a point that he will go where his services are needed.

Yes, one would think that Boras would be 'working the program' as he calls it. But Manny's actions show that Boras is either not doing a good job or simply doesn't think efforts to control Manny are worthwhile.

Are you kidding me? Not that I question the validity, especially considering it came out of Manny's mouth but where is that source? I've gotta see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
    It's called exaggeration. He was making a point that he will go where his services are needed.
    Obviously it was facetious, but that doesn't make it sound less stupid. It reinforces the idea that he is a pouting kid rather than a guy disgruntled with the team for a legitimate (or semi-legitimate) reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    Are you kidding me? Not that I question the validity, especially considering it came out of Manny's mouth but where is that source? I've gotta see that.
    It was on the channel 5 news..it was in that ESPNdeportes interview.

So we should "Sell" in a season where we are 1.5 GB in the AL East race and currently in lead for the wild card?

IMO, those two things should be huge concerns. Especally if Ortiz isn't what he usually is the rest of the season.
    Yeah I mean I've been convinced not to trade him but there's really no question that we should not pick up his option of $20 million. He's still a solid player..but i think we could find better options via trade..if not hope that nobody offers him the money he wants and get him for a bargain. But that's really doubtful because there's some front office out there that would give him a huge deal to either spite the Sox or get fans into the seats.

Oh jeez, are we really going to make mountains out of molehills with his comment? What he said:
    "If the Red Sox are a better team without Manny Ramirez, they should trade me... I will not object... I don't have any preferences... I could choose a team that offers me the best conditions or one in the chase for the postseason... I don't care where I play, I can even play in Iraq if need be... My job is to play baseball"

Manny goes on to say that he doesn't want to be a problem and a distraction to the Red Sox, but that he thinks the Sox are trying to portray him as the "bad guy".
    Source:
    http://www.necn.com/Boston/Sports/Ma...217195419.html
    Last edited by Williamsburg2599; 07-27-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Oh jeez, are we really going to make mountains out of anthills with his comment? What he said:
    I don't think anyone is making mountains out of mole hills. I simply think it helps illustrate that he is spouting off with no plan or strategy for changing his situation. Nobody, at least in this thread or anywhere that I have read, took the Iraq reference as more than the foolishness of a grown kid.

I don't think anyone is making mountains out of mole hills. I simply think it helps illustrate that he is spouting off with no plan or strategy for changing his situation. Nobody, at least in this thread or anywhere that I have read, took the Iraq reference as more than the foolishness of a grown kid.
    No, that's exactly it. It's not a huge deal, just more evidence of his idiocy.

Manny being villianized

For all that we want to postulate solutions or argue scenarios, this is a lose-lose for the Sox. I don't have the foggiest idea what they should do. Somehow they need to get him motivated to earn a big deal from someone else in the coming offseason. But can the Big Baby understand that he is hurting his value? Who knows.

Frustrating, to say the least.

And, to clear something up, trading Manny isn't packing it in. The idea would still be to go for it, just with addition by subtraction. And I think moving him would be contingent on at least one more deal. Having said that, I don't expect to see him traded.
    I think that the front office has brought this upon itself. The media jumped on Manny for missing Friday, but it was made known on Wednesday that he was questionable for Friday. This also isn't the last time we had a late scratch, like JD Drew with the sore wrist. It happens all the time.

Here's a tidbit I sound on Boston.com :

Julio Lugo, who started working on his rehab in the pool three days ago, and said he's ahead of schedule on his return, also talked about his good friend Manny Ramirez. Lugo defended the left fielder on the current situation, and about his knee injury. Ramirez said, when I asked him how his knee was, "It's OK. I'm sucking it up. I'm playing."

"I've been here two years, I think I'm one of the guys closest with Manny," Lugo said. "I've been closer to Manny than anybody else. As a friend I'm trying to defend him. He cares so much. He does so much to be ready. Sometimes things distract him. Things just came together. I don't think he means anything. He [felt] real bad about the Jack [McCormick, the team's traveling secretary] thing. He apologized to Jack and he apologized to [Kevin] Youkilis. Those things, nobody even mentioned that. I don't think anybody mentioned that. Sometimes people misjudge him. People think he don't care. That's not the way it is. I think you guys should know that. He's the first guy to come here, the only guy who gets up at 10 o'clock in the morning every day is Manny, to get set. It's unfortunate that things like that happen. He shouldn't be doing that stuff. He's a mature guy. He understands he made a mistake. Just move on, ask for forgivenness, like he should, and move on."

What about the problem with the knee?

"That's something that you can't say. He says he's hurting, he's hurting. Nobody knows. Sometimes you've got tendonitis in your knee and it doesn't show anything. But if you're hurting, you're hurting. I can't say anything. I know Manny, he plays every day. He's been hurt for a while. They ask me the same thing, 'Is he hurt?' I'm like, 'He tells me that he's hurting. I can't tell you that he's not hurting.' I shouldn't even be saying that. I know. I know he's been hurt for a while. If you ask me, that's what I'm going to tell you. He tells me that he's hurt and I believe him."

Does he want to be here?

"Of course he wants to be here. That's not true that you can't trade Manny. Somebody's going to take him. I mean he's been the best hitter in baseball. Manny wants to be here. I think he wants to finish here. He just wants to be settled, like everybody else."

__________________________________________________ __

As for manny saying he is tired of the Sox. I wouldn't take his word for that. If the Sox pick up his option, which they will, he'd be glad to play here. I think it's his way of saying that he won't take offense if they don't want him.

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Octobre View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what the Sox could get for Manny. They probably won't be able to replace his production (even though he's not the hitter he used to be he's still batting around .300 with an OPS+ of 140 and on pace to hit around 30 dingers this year, plus he is a beast in the postseason). If they are willing to practically give him away just to get him off the team then I think a lot of people might be dissapointed with what the Sox get in return. I could see him going to the Mets but what could they send Boston's way?

Mets got some guy they got from the D'backs who'd be great as a vet influence in the Sox clubhouse. You've probably heard of him...name's Trot Nixon.
    Last edited by SDL; 07-27-2008 at 06:20 PM.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

I've been reading tons of these message boards so forgive me in advance if I am repeating what others have said.
    The bottom line is what are the Red Sox going to get for Manny?? No one that is in line to rent a player will give up anything in return. There are very few players in baseball that can produce Manny's production (which I am saying is .300, 25 homeruns, 90RBI).
    Here is the short list of left fielders who have similar or better numbers this year: Ryan Braun, Matt Holiday, Carlos Lee, Pat Burrell and Adam Dunn. Aside from Braun, who is not going anywhere and Holiday do any of these players excite you or are available?
    You are talking about bringing someone in to play left field at Fenway for half of a season, hit fourth in the order and provide protection for Ortiz. All in a place like Boston where they will be expected to lead the team to a World Series. Those guys do not come a dime a dozen.
    There is no reason to trade Manny this year.
    The best move is to pick up the option, therefore keeping him away from any division rival as a free agent, and then work out a trade where the Sox absorb some of the money. Then they can try and work a deal for a player like Holiday or someone else.
    Who knows though, by the end of the year maybe Manny will take a hometown discount.
    "Bats - I'm going to tell you a secret - I'm good and I'm getting better. I can't stand it I'm so good." Ted Williams to catcher Matt Batts Spring Training 1949.

The best move is to pick up the option, therefore keeping him away from any division rival as a free agent, and then work out a trade where the Sox absorb some of the money. Then they can try and work a deal for a player like Holiday or someone else.
    Who knows though, by the end of the year maybe Manny will take a hometown discount.
    ITA! We've had similar episodes in the past & they're shortly forgotten because Manny has consistantly produced.

Quote Originally Posted by wjraymond11 View Post
    I think that the front office has brought this upon itself. The media jumped on Manny for missing Friday, but it was made known on Wednesday that he was questionable for Friday. This also isn't the last time we had a late scratch, like JD Drew with the sore wrist. It happens all the time.

Here's a tidbit I sound on Boston.com :

Julio Lugo, who started working on his rehab in the pool three days ago, and said he's ahead of schedule on his return, also talked about his good friend Manny Ramirez. Lugo defended the left fielder on the current situation, and about his knee injury. Ramirez said, when I asked him how his knee was, "It's OK. I'm sucking it up. I'm playing."

"I've been here two years, I think I'm one of the guys closest with Manny," Lugo said. "I've been closer to Manny than anybody else. As a friend I'm trying to defend him. He cares so much. He does so much to be ready. Sometimes things distract him. Things just came together. I don't think he means anything. He [felt] real bad about the Jack [McCormick, the team's traveling secretary] thing. He apologized to Jack and he apologized to [Kevin] Youkilis. Those things, nobody even mentioned that. I don't think anybody mentioned that. Sometimes people misjudge him. People think he don't care. That's not the way it is. I think you guys should know that. He's the first guy to come here, the only guy who gets up at 10 o'clock in the morning every day is Manny, to get set. It's unfortunate that things like that happen. He shouldn't be doing that stuff. He's a mature guy. He understands he made a mistake. Just move on, ask for forgivenness, like he should, and move on."

What about the problem with the knee?

"That's something that you can't say. He says he's hurting, he's hurting. Nobody knows. Sometimes you've got tendonitis in your knee and it doesn't show anything. But if you're hurting, you're hurting. I can't say anything. I know Manny, he plays every day. He's been hurt for a while. They ask me the same thing, 'Is he hurt?' I'm like, 'He tells me that he's hurting. I can't tell you that he's not hurting.' I shouldn't even be saying that. I know. I know he's been hurt for a while. If you ask me, that's what I'm going to tell you. He tells me that he's hurt and I believe him."

Does he want to be here?

"Of course he wants to be here. That's not true that you can't trade Manny. Somebody's going to take him. I mean he's been the best hitter in baseball. Manny wants to be here. I think he wants to finish here. He just wants to be settled, like everybody else."

__________________________________________________ __

As for manny saying he is tired of the Sox. I wouldn't take his word for that. If the Sox pick up his option, which they will, he'd be glad to play here. I think it's his way of saying that he won't take offense if they don't want him.
    Lugo is not credible in this instance...but who really cares. they are not going to trade him this year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast