Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MANNY Says He Won't Block a Trade!

Bedford Avenue at Sullivan Place in a Marble ROTUNDA

Arrow MANNY Says He Won't Block a Trade!

Regarding Manny....ESPN is reporting the following..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3507249

c.

Blog Entries
    actions speak louder than words Manny...and your actions right now say you want out. If the sox want to get ANYTHING for Manny, then the time is right now. should be interesting to see who blinks first.

I would be on the phone with the Mets and Phillies to see what is up. LAA would be interested but we would want him out of the AL. The saga continues.

Blog Entries
    Manny will stay as usual. But he isnt the 40hr-slugger anymore.

It'll be interesting to see what the Sox could get for Manny. They probably won't be able to replace his production (even though he's not the hitter he used to be he's still batting around .300 with an OPS+ of 140 and on pace to hit around 30 dingers this year, plus he is a beast in the postseason). If they are willing to practically give him away just to get him off the team then I think a lot of people might be dissapointed with what the Sox get in return. I could see him going to the Mets but what could they send Boston's way?
    "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

We're not going to get anything more than a couple B-level prospects and an average Major League starter or maybe even a player that doesn't play everyday for Manny. He's lowered his own value.
    Ellsbury SB: 54

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan68 View Post
    We're not going to get anything more than a couple B-level prospects and an average Major League starter or maybe even a player that doesn't play everyday for Manny. He's lowered his own value.
    Yet you think we should still trade him? Ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post

Manny is the antithesis of a poor teammate, even for modern times. That being said, I'm usually more surprised by professional athletes that act like decent, normal people rather than 'Manny Being Manny' types, all across the board including guys like Milton Bradley, etc.

If you can't get an amazing trade with Manny, why bother? This PR stuff is beyond lame and there is no way we could have won 2 titles without him. He's a terrible example for kids but that's like shooting fish in a barrel these days. You really have to suck up jerks like Manny and just hope for the best. I wasn't stoked at all when he came from Cleveland and I still don't like him. However, he plays for my favorite team so what am I gonna do?

And yes, watching too much Sports Center will rot your brain to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    If that's the deal we're going to get..no I don't think we should trade him. The only way I see us getting any sort of replacement or upgrade is if we agree to pay the difference in his salary for the rest of this season in which case I would trade him most likely.

My only concern with trading him is the fact that not only do we lose Manny's "potential" bat in the postseason but we also lose Ortiz to an extent. Nobody can protect Ortiz like Manny can. Drew could maybe "make them pay" but that's a big maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan68 View Post
    So we should "Sell" in a season where we are 1.5 GB in the AL East race and currently in lead for the wild card?

My only concern with trading him is the fact that not only do we lose Manny's "potential" bat in the postseason but we also lose Ortiz to an extent. Nobody can protect Ortiz like Manny can. Drew could maybe "make them pay" but that's a big maybe.
    IMO, those two things should be huge concerns. Especally if Ortiz isn't what he usually is the rest of the season.

For all that we want to postulate solutions or argue scenarios, this is a lose-lose for the Sox. I don't have the foggiest idea what they should do. Somehow they need to get him motivated to earn a big deal from someone else in the coming offseason. But can the Big Baby understand that he is hurting his value? Who knows.

Frustrating, to say the least.

And, to clear something up, trading Manny isn't packing it in. The idea would still be to go for it, just with addition by subtraction. And I think moving him would be contingent on at least one more deal. Having said that, I don't expect to see him traded.

Quote Originally Posted by sharrock View Post
    Somehow they need to get him motivated to earn a big deal from someone else in the coming offseason. But can the Big Baby understand that he is hurting his value? Who knows.
    Scott Boras?

Yes, one would think that Boras would be 'working the program' as he calls it. But Manny's actions show that Boras is either not doing a good job or simply doesn't think efforts to control Manny are worthwhile.

And to add to all this mess, Manny referenced Iraq as a place to play. He is just a moron.

And to add to all this mess, Manny referenced Iraq as a place to play. He is just a moron.
    It's called exaggeration. He was making a point that he will go where his services are needed.

Yes, one would think that Boras would be 'working the program' as he calls it. But Manny's actions show that Boras is either not doing a good job or simply doesn't think efforts to control Manny are worthwhile.

Are you kidding me? Not that I question the validity, especially considering it came out of Manny's mouth but where is that source? I've gotta see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
    It's called exaggeration. He was making a point that he will go where his services are needed.
    Obviously it was facetious, but that doesn't make it sound less stupid. It reinforces the idea that he is a pouting kid rather than a guy disgruntled with the team for a legitimate (or semi-legitimate) reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    Are you kidding me? Not that I question the validity, especially considering it came out of Manny's mouth but where is that source? I've gotta see that.
    It was on the channel 5 news..it was in that ESPNdeportes interview.

So we should "Sell" in a season where we are 1.5 GB in the AL East race and currently in lead for the wild card?

IMO, those two things should be huge concerns. Especally if Ortiz isn't what he usually is the rest of the season.
    Yeah I mean I've been convinced not to trade him but there's really no question that we should not pick up his option of $20 million. He's still a solid player..but i think we could find better options via trade..if not hope that nobody offers him the money he wants and get him for a bargain. But that's really doubtful because there's some front office out there that would give him a huge deal to either spite the Sox or get fans into the seats.

Oh jeez, are we really going to make mountains out of molehills with his comment? What he said:
    "If the Red Sox are a better team without Manny Ramirez, they should trade me... I will not object... I don't have any preferences... I could choose a team that offers me the best conditions or one in the chase for the postseason... I don't care where I play, I can even play in Iraq if need be... My job is to play baseball"

Manny goes on to say that he doesn't want to be a problem and a distraction to the Red Sox, but that he thinks the Sox are trying to portray him as the "bad guy".
    Source:
    http://www.necn.com/Boston/Sports/Ma...217195419.html
    Last edited by Williamsburg2599; 07-27-2008 at 05:59 PM.

Oh jeez, are we really going to make mountains out of anthills with his comment? What he said:
    I don't think anyone is making mountains out of mole hills. I simply think it helps illustrate that he is spouting off with no plan or strategy for changing his situation. Nobody, at least in this thread or anywhere that I have read, took the Iraq reference as more than the foolishness of a grown kid.

I don't think anyone is making mountains out of mole hills. I simply think it helps illustrate that he is spouting off with no plan or strategy for changing his situation. Nobody, at least in this thread or anywhere that I have read, took the Iraq reference as more than the foolishness of a grown kid.
    No, that's exactly it. It's not a huge deal, just more evidence of his idiocy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast