Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MANNY Says He Won't Block a Trade!

Manny being villianized

Quote Originally Posted by sharrock View Post
    For all that we want to postulate solutions or argue scenarios, this is a lose-lose for the Sox. I don't have the foggiest idea what they should do. Somehow they need to get him motivated to earn a big deal from someone else in the coming offseason. But can the Big Baby understand that he is hurting his value? Who knows.

Frustrating, to say the least.

And, to clear something up, trading Manny isn't packing it in. The idea would still be to go for it, just with addition by subtraction. And I think moving him would be contingent on at least one more deal. Having said that, I don't expect to see him traded.
    I think that the front office has brought this upon itself. The media jumped on Manny for missing Friday, but it was made known on Wednesday that he was questionable for Friday. This also isn't the last time we had a late scratch, like JD Drew with the sore wrist. It happens all the time.

Here's a tidbit I sound on Boston.com :

Julio Lugo, who started working on his rehab in the pool three days ago, and said he's ahead of schedule on his return, also talked about his good friend Manny Ramirez. Lugo defended the left fielder on the current situation, and about his knee injury. Ramirez said, when I asked him how his knee was, "It's OK. I'm sucking it up. I'm playing."

"I've been here two years, I think I'm one of the guys closest with Manny," Lugo said. "I've been closer to Manny than anybody else. As a friend I'm trying to defend him. He cares so much. He does so much to be ready. Sometimes things distract him. Things just came together. I don't think he means anything. He [felt] real bad about the Jack [McCormick, the team's traveling secretary] thing. He apologized to Jack and he apologized to [Kevin] Youkilis. Those things, nobody even mentioned that. I don't think anybody mentioned that. Sometimes people misjudge him. People think he don't care. That's not the way it is. I think you guys should know that. He's the first guy to come here, the only guy who gets up at 10 o'clock in the morning every day is Manny, to get set. It's unfortunate that things like that happen. He shouldn't be doing that stuff. He's a mature guy. He understands he made a mistake. Just move on, ask for forgivenness, like he should, and move on."

What about the problem with the knee?

"That's something that you can't say. He says he's hurting, he's hurting. Nobody knows. Sometimes you've got tendonitis in your knee and it doesn't show anything. But if you're hurting, you're hurting. I can't say anything. I know Manny, he plays every day. He's been hurt for a while. They ask me the same thing, 'Is he hurt?' I'm like, 'He tells me that he's hurting. I can't tell you that he's not hurting.' I shouldn't even be saying that. I know. I know he's been hurt for a while. If you ask me, that's what I'm going to tell you. He tells me that he's hurt and I believe him."

Does he want to be here?

"Of course he wants to be here. That's not true that you can't trade Manny. Somebody's going to take him. I mean he's been the best hitter in baseball. Manny wants to be here. I think he wants to finish here. He just wants to be settled, like everybody else."

__________________________________________________ __

As for manny saying he is tired of the Sox. I wouldn't take his word for that. If the Sox pick up his option, which they will, he'd be glad to play here. I think it's his way of saying that he won't take offense if they don't want him.

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Octobre View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what the Sox could get for Manny. They probably won't be able to replace his production (even though he's not the hitter he used to be he's still batting around .300 with an OPS+ of 140 and on pace to hit around 30 dingers this year, plus he is a beast in the postseason). If they are willing to practically give him away just to get him off the team then I think a lot of people might be dissapointed with what the Sox get in return. I could see him going to the Mets but what could they send Boston's way?

Mets got some guy they got from the D'backs who'd be great as a vet influence in the Sox clubhouse. You've probably heard of him...name's Trot Nixon.
    Last edited by SDL; 07-27-2008 at 07:20 PM.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

I've been reading tons of these message boards so forgive me in advance if I am repeating what others have said.
    The bottom line is what are the Red Sox going to get for Manny?? No one that is in line to rent a player will give up anything in return. There are very few players in baseball that can produce Manny's production (which I am saying is .300, 25 homeruns, 90RBI).
    Here is the short list of left fielders who have similar or better numbers this year: Ryan Braun, Matt Holiday, Carlos Lee, Pat Burrell and Adam Dunn. Aside from Braun, who is not going anywhere and Holiday do any of these players excite you or are available?
    You are talking about bringing someone in to play left field at Fenway for half of a season, hit fourth in the order and provide protection for Ortiz. All in a place like Boston where they will be expected to lead the team to a World Series. Those guys do not come a dime a dozen.
    There is no reason to trade Manny this year.
    The best move is to pick up the option, therefore keeping him away from any division rival as a free agent, and then work out a trade where the Sox absorb some of the money. Then they can try and work a deal for a player like Holiday or someone else.
    Who knows though, by the end of the year maybe Manny will take a hometown discount.
    "Bats - I'm going to tell you a secret - I'm good and I'm getting better. I can't stand it I'm so good." Ted Williams to catcher Matt Batts Spring Training 1949.

The best move is to pick up the option, therefore keeping him away from any division rival as a free agent, and then work out a trade where the Sox absorb some of the money. Then they can try and work a deal for a player like Holiday or someone else.
    Who knows though, by the end of the year maybe Manny will take a hometown discount.
    ITA! We've had similar episodes in the past & they're shortly forgotten because Manny has consistantly produced.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wjraymond11 View Post
    I think that the front office has brought this upon itself. The media jumped on Manny for missing Friday, but it was made known on Wednesday that he was questionable for Friday. This also isn't the last time we had a late scratch, like JD Drew with the sore wrist. It happens all the time.

Here's a tidbit I sound on Boston.com :

Julio Lugo, who started working on his rehab in the pool three days ago, and said he's ahead of schedule on his return, also talked about his good friend Manny Ramirez. Lugo defended the left fielder on the current situation, and about his knee injury. Ramirez said, when I asked him how his knee was, "It's OK. I'm sucking it up. I'm playing."

"I've been here two years, I think I'm one of the guys closest with Manny," Lugo said. "I've been closer to Manny than anybody else. As a friend I'm trying to defend him. He cares so much. He does so much to be ready. Sometimes things distract him. Things just came together. I don't think he means anything. He [felt] real bad about the Jack [McCormick, the team's traveling secretary] thing. He apologized to Jack and he apologized to [Kevin] Youkilis. Those things, nobody even mentioned that. I don't think anybody mentioned that. Sometimes people misjudge him. People think he don't care. That's not the way it is. I think you guys should know that. He's the first guy to come here, the only guy who gets up at 10 o'clock in the morning every day is Manny, to get set. It's unfortunate that things like that happen. He shouldn't be doing that stuff. He's a mature guy. He understands he made a mistake. Just move on, ask for forgivenness, like he should, and move on."

What about the problem with the knee?

"That's something that you can't say. He says he's hurting, he's hurting. Nobody knows. Sometimes you've got tendonitis in your knee and it doesn't show anything. But if you're hurting, you're hurting. I can't say anything. I know Manny, he plays every day. He's been hurt for a while. They ask me the same thing, 'Is he hurt?' I'm like, 'He tells me that he's hurting. I can't tell you that he's not hurting.' I shouldn't even be saying that. I know. I know he's been hurt for a while. If you ask me, that's what I'm going to tell you. He tells me that he's hurt and I believe him."

Does he want to be here?

"Of course he wants to be here. That's not true that you can't trade Manny. Somebody's going to take him. I mean he's been the best hitter in baseball. Manny wants to be here. I think he wants to finish here. He just wants to be settled, like everybody else."

__________________________________________________ __

As for manny saying he is tired of the Sox. I wouldn't take his word for that. If the Sox pick up his option, which they will, he'd be glad to play here. I think it's his way of saying that he won't take offense if they don't want him.
    Lugo is not credible in this instance...but who really cares. they are not going to trade him this year

Picking up the option is EXACTLY the kind of mistake that this FO has typically avoided, and should avoid.
    I think that Manny is frustrated because he thinks the team should show him "respect" and just pick up his option. The idea of making carefully considered, rational financial decisions is probably foreign to him...he's a flighty free spirit who has more money than he probably ever dreamed of and doesn't need to think carefully about what he does with it. He probably sees this primarily a personal issue...the team is dissing him by not picking up the option or signing a long term deal when he's playing well.
    Boras is probably stirring the pot...he likes to take a hard line with teams and encourages his players to do so, and always emphasizes how valuable the talented players are to the teams. He's pushing to get Manny as much money as possible while he's still playing well, before decline really sets in.
    I think that it's hurt that Ortiz has not been around, as well...I think that Papi helps keep Manny calmed down and under control a little more. They're good friends and Papi is a more reasonable and responsible person...any influence he has on Manny can only help.

If the BoSox pick up the option, they'll either be paying a lot for what will most likely be falling performance from Manny, or they'll eat a lot of that money in a trade. I think they need to punish him when he acts up and hold out the lure of picking up the option if he has an oustanding stretch run...and then say goodbye, unless he goes totally insane at the plate and hits .330 with 40 jacks. If Manny is able to force the team to do their bidding, they'll end up doing the same with other players down the road, and the team will be weaker.
    I don't think that Holliday is a bad option for the future...overrated, but a decent hitter on the road, and Fenway is a nice place to hit, too. There might be better options, but I don't reject him out of hand as a Coors hitter. Lowell is a Fenway hitter, and we like him, right?
    Dunn as a future option worries me a bit now...the plummeting average bothers me, but he is hitting a gob of jacks and still walking. I worry about him aging early and hitting .190 soon, though. I still like him more than JP does...
    "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

I think we should know better than attempt to know what Manny's thinking. lol But I think it's clear as of today that Manny doesn't want the Red Sox to pick up the option. However by next week Manny could very likely be singing a different tune based on past history. As of right now I think the only way the Sox pick up the option is AFTER a trade is already in place, but then Manny could go against his word & still veto said trade.

Let Him Go

Unless we can get a quality hitter for Manny, I say keep him for the remainder of 2008 and hope for the best. As far as giving him a new 4 year/$100mill contract? Forget it.

At best take his option for 2009. As of 7/28 I don't think the Sox will and I wouldn't pick it up either. Let's see where we are on 10/1.
    Boston Red Sox

Yaz, Rico, Tony C. , Lonborg, Reggie, Freddie, Rice, RemDawg, Eck, Rooster, Dewey, Butch, Boomer, Pudge, El Tiante, Carbo, Rick, Spaceman, Dragon, Soup, Geddie, Billy Buck, Oil Can, Nipp, Bigfoot, Hendu, Hurst, Millar, Walker, Tek, Mueller, Manny, Trot, Gabe, Dougie, Derek, Wake, Bellhorn, Papi, Cabrera, Nomar, Roberts, Schill, Bronson, Youk, Cora, Foulkie, Timlin, Embree, Okie, Lowell, Coco, Pedroia, Josh, Dice, Kielty, Lester, Paps, Julian, MDC, JD, Ellsbury, Rocco ....

When Manny leaves the Red Sox, are the fans going to refer to him as "Ego-Manny-ac" and not "Manny being Manny"?

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BenHertz View Post
    When Manny leaves the Red Sox, are the fans going to refer to him as "Ego-Manny-ac" and not "Manny being Manny"?

Manny Money
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Blog Entries

hey commish

He should be kicked out of baseball forever for purposely dogging it so that he may be traded or just to be a jerk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12