Thread: New York/Brooklyn Mets

New York/Brooklyn Mets

The Mets were obviously designed to replace both the Dodgers & the Giants but lingering resentment remains at Brooklyn's excision from MLB as an entity in its own right.

To redress the balance somewhat should the white B of Brooklyn take up residence with the orange NY on the Mets cap?

I could certainly see the current owners greenlighting the NYB Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
    The Mets were obviously designed to replace both the Dodgers & the Giants but lingering resentment remains at Brooklyn's excision from MLB as an entity in its own right.

To redress the balance somewhat should the white B of Brooklyn take up residence with the orange NY on the Mets cap?

I could certainly see the current owners greenlighting the NYB Mets.
    Speaking only for myself, I would be pissed off. They've been the NY Mets for almost 50 years. Resentment or not, there's no reason to tinker with the name just to appease Brooklyn for an ancient wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoMets687 View Post
    Speaking only for myself, I would be pissed off. They've been the NY Mets for almost 50 years. Resentment or not, there's no reason to tinker with the name just to appease Brooklyn for an ancient wrong.
    But an allied question...speaking for yourself. If when you began following baseball, the team were called the Brooklyn Dodgers, an expansion team born of the 1962 expansion of the National League, would you feel the same way about the team as you do about the team called the Mets today?

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoMets687 View Post
    Agreed. I loved the Brooklyn Dodgers, and would love to see them back on the other side of the Verrazano--BUT--the Mets are the Mets, and they have their own history. Seaver, Koosman, McGraw, Gooden, Strawberry, et. al. 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000. They've also won more World Championships than the Brooklyn Dodgers. The two teams--like apples and oranges--aren't the same.

However, would I trade the Mets to Los Angeles to bring the Dodgers back to Brooklyn?

You bet--and like the Soviets did with Stalin, I'd then purge Brooklyn Dodger history of Walter O'Malley!