Page 3 of 160 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBF HOF Forum Collaboration Game – Game On!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan94 View Post
    Hank Aaron is definitely not the sixth best player ever. He was consistent, but not the sixth greatest player ever. I will probably remove him on my turn if windy city fan doesn't.
    I would probably go with Ted Williams, considering war credit. However, if you're interested in total value, Aaron's not a bad choice. I think he gets high marks for character, as well as having had some impact on the game off the field, I would leave him, he's top 10 easily. But that's just me.
    Eradicate, wipe out and abolish redundancy.

Free El Duque!(and Mark Mulder) -- discover how the HOF rules are cheating this renowned member of Torre's Yankees dynasty and ask the HOF to include him on the ballot for the next BBWAA election.

I had a tough time deciding between Barry Bonds and Hank Aaron when I made my choice for number 5. I went with Barry as the number 5 player but I'm glad leecemark picked Hank at number 6. If it were me I would leave him at number 6.

At this point I probably wouldn't undo Cy Young, Walter Johnson, or Roger Clemens.

Matty, Lou Gehrig, or Tom Seaver would set me grumbling about New York.

Windy city fan's been on the clock for 20 hours. To expedite this in the early rounds, why don't we go to a 6 hour clock and if the person doesn't post within that time frame they lose their turn. I personally don't care if I end up being skipped due to a shorter clock and would rather see this move along at least in the early rounds. The 24 hour clock has the potential to make this project really drag, IMO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpm74 View Post
    Windy city fan's been on the clock for 20 hours. To expedite this in the early rounds, why don't we go to a 6 hour clock and if the person doesn't post within that time frame they lose their turn. I personally don't care if I end up being skipped due to a shorter clock and would rather see this move along at least in the early rounds. The 24 hour clock has the potential to make this project really drag, IMO.
    I can see where it's tougher for some on weekends. That being said, WCF signed up for the project, so one would hope he's keeping tabs.

I suggested earlier that the person after him, Yankeefan94, should send WCF a message in the waning hours of his clock; hopefully he's done that and has his turn all ready to go.

Remember, after Yankeefan94's turn we'll go the the hour delay between turns, unless there is general disagreement with that among the electorate. I'm pretty flexible and will try to conduct the Game in a way that's agreeable to the majority of Gamers.

Finally, I prefer this Game to proceed at a liesurely pace. If that means I'm getting only two or three turns in a week for myself, it doesn't bother me. Again, this Game could continue for years. We have, what, 18,000 players we could rank between MLB and Negro leagues?

Free El Duque!(and Mark Mulder) -- discover how the HOF rules are cheating this renowned member of Torre's Yankees dynasty and ask the HOF to include him on the ballot for the next BBWAA election.

I sent a message to Windy City Fan and told him to post by 6 pm EST.
    Last edited by Yankeefan94; 08-09-2008 at 01:32 PM.
    One of the chief duties of the fan is to engage in arguments with the man behind him. ~Robert Benchley

A mystique of history and heritage surrounds the New York Yankees. It's like the old days revived. We're loved and hated, but always in larger doses than any other team.... The Yankees mean baseball to more people than all the other teams combined. ~Paul Blair, quoted in Washington Post, 22 June 1978

P.S
    Maybe we should shorten the required between posts, andthe amount of clock time a person gets, but allow more unexcused absences.
    One of the chief duties of the fan is to engage in arguments with the man behind him. ~Robert Benchley

A mystique of history and heritage surrounds the New York Yankees. It's like the old days revived. We're loved and hated, but always in larger doses than any other team.... The Yankees mean baseball to more people than all the other teams combined. ~Paul Blair, quoted in Washington Post, 22 June 1978

Blog Entries
    P.S
    Maybe we should shorten the required between posts, andthe amount of clock time a person gets, but allow more unexcused absences.
    We could do that. How about:

Shorten post delay from one hour to a half an hour?
    Shorten clock maximum from 24 to 18 hours?
    Increase unexcused absences from two to four?

What say others?

Leisurely is fine as long as we don't end up going 3-4 days without a pick like we did on several occasions with the SOC draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow View Post

Shorten post delay from one hour to a half an hour?
    Either way is fine.

Shorten clock maximum from 24 to 18 hours?
    24 hours is easier to remember and keep track of. Plus it allows for all our different schedules. 18 hours is too odd of a time span. If this is meant to be ran rather leisurely, let's keep the time element simple and leisurely as well.

Increase unexcused absences from two to four?
    I don't think we have to change this either. But it's not much of an issue either way.

Leisurely is fine as long as we don't end up going 3-4 days without a pick like we did on several occasions with the SOC draft.
    The rules would not allow it to run that leisurely. The longest we should have without a pick is just over 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by dgarza View Post
    The rules would not allow it to run that leisurely. The longest we should have without a pick is just over 24 hours.
    We had the same rules in place in the SOC draft. Some people kept forgetting to remind others when it was their turn then the next person would be reluctant to go in place of the person who missed their turn and it started getting messy.

Should we skip Windy City Fan?? I guess so, so I'll go.

Originally posted by leecemark
    1. Babe Ruth
    2. Ty Cobb
    3. Willie Mays
    4. Honus Wagner
    5. Barry Bonds
    6. Hank Aaron
    1. Babe Ruth
    2. Ty Cobb
    3. Willie Mays
    4. Honus Wagner
    5. Barry Bonds
    6. Ted Williams (Sorry, I had to remove Hank Aaron, 1st time.)

Blueblood is now on the clock
    Last edited by Yankeefan94; 08-09-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: edit

6. Ted Williams (Sorry, I had to remove Hank Aaron, 1st time.)
    Gotta agree with this move. After all, I have Williams at #3.

Blog Entries
    We had the same rules in place in the SOC draft. Some people kept forgetting to remind others when it was their turn then the next person would be reluctant to go in place of the person who missed their turn and it started getting messy.
    Not quite the same rules. In the SOC draft we didn't want people to totally miss a pick, as their team would be kinda screwed, so everyone felt they had to slow down until the missing guy picked. We even had picks done by proxy.

Here, we don't care, you miss a turn, it's gone, we move on, no harm done.

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Ty Cobb
    3. Willie Mays
    4. Honus Wagner
    5. Ted Williams
    6. Josh Gibson - Removed Barry Bonds, first time.

Classic is now on the clock.
    1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

1889 1890 1899 1900 1916 1920
    1941 1947 1949 1952 1953 1956
    1966 1974 1977 1978

1983 1985 1995 2004 2008 2009
    2013 2014

1996 2006

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow View Post
    Just to note, I wrote this in the first post:

A brief justification for your player is a good thing to include

Maybe also include who else you considered listing. Not required, of course.
    Gibson strikes me as a rather curious selection this early. Any clue as to why?

It looks like we will probably get 4 or 5 players in per round the rate we're going

Gibson over Charleston? Bonds, Aaron, W. Johnson have stronger cases for the top 10 than Gibson.

--Six does seem high for Gibson. I do have him over Charleston for best Negro Leaguer and would have no problem with him stickign in the top 10 though. Maybe the best hitter in the history of the Negro Leagues and at least a solid defensive catcher. Thats a pretty impressive candidate.

I have Gibson best at catcher and in the top ten. Part of me think he edges out Mantle, Gehrig, and a few others. Part of me also wanted to go with Walter Johnson or Hank Aaron although I didn't want to do the latter because it had already been done...

I can't in good conscience not knock down Bonds. Sorry. If it had been Aaron, Mantle, Johnson, etc. I'd have kept it the same.

1966 1974 1977 1978

2013 2014

1996 2006

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    I have Gibson best at catcher and in the top ten. Part of me think he edges out Mantle, Gehrig, and a few others. Part of me also wanted to go with Walter Johnson or Hank Aaron although I didn't want to do the latter because it had already been done...

I can't in good conscience not knock down Bonds. Sorry. If it had been Aaron, Mantle, Johnson, etc. I'd have kept it the same.
    OK, but I think you also need to consider whether your choice is likely to fly in the face of the consensus. We all have our idiosyncratic favorites, but this Game isn't really the place to try and wedge them in - it's designed to reject unusual placements.

Bill Burgess's best player project just elected Gibson as 16th best. While I don;t think he's necessarily that low, I don't think he's top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    1. Babe Ruth
    2. Ty Cobb
    3. Willie Mays
    4. Honus Wagner
    5. Ted Williams
    6. Josh Gibson - Removed Barry Bonds, first time.

Classic is now on the clock.
    Classic's time is up.

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Ty Cobb
    3. Willie Mays
    4. Honus Wagner
    5. Ted Williams
    6. Rogers Hornsby - (removed Josh Gibson - 1st time)

I can't rank Josh that high.

Erik Bedard is on the clock.
    Last edited by dgarza; 08-10-2008 at 08:42 PM.

So, Gibson, whom a lot of us consider to be the best catcher was replaced with a guy that about half of us (including myself) consider to be the best 2B.

Hornsby has way less of a top ten case if you ask me. I'd prepare for another removal...

1966 1974 1977 1978

2013 2014

1996 2006

Page 3 of 160 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast