Page 3 of 199 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBF HOF Forum Collaboration Game – Game On!

--I don't know that there is an exact umber of Hall of Famers anyway. There are probably a 100 or so guys that virtually everyone agrees belong. Then maybe 75 more who would be rejected only by small hall advocates and a few people with unusual evaluation techniques. Then probably as many more who have their advocates - be that a majority or a super majority (in which case they are probably in) or just a handfull of vocal advocates. There is a huge gray area on the margins of the Hall. The real problem is that they are a few players in that top 175 who have not been inducted and a few outside that 350 who have.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow View Post
    Yes, but not really. While that is literally the number of players currently in the HOF, by one way of counting, inorder to make an apples to apples comparison we'll have to deduct from our list the active players and ineligible players. So at the point we "match" the HOF we'll probably by somewhere in the 260's.
    Yes, but I think most would agree that there isn't a big leap from the bottom 40 of the HOF and the top 40 not in the HOF due to various eligibility issues. Even in a project like this where we are including all ball players, I think we'll be well into gray area HOF territory by the time we get into the 230s.

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Ty Cobb
    3. Willie Mays
    4. Honus Wagner
    5. Barry Bonds

leecemark is now on the clock

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Ty Cobb
    3. Willie Mays
    4. Honus Wagner
    5. Barry Bonds
    6. Hank Aaron
    --Windy City Fan is now on the clock

Are we including pitchers in this project? The reason I ask is that I've never attempted to compare pitchers to position players.

Quote Originally Posted by jjpm74 View Post
    Are we including pitchers in this project? The reason I ask is that I've never attempted to compare pitchers to position players.
    I assumed we were, and am all set to.

Blog Entries
    Yes, of course; pitchers are players, too. Refer to other all-time lists to see how they have slotted pitchers.
    Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice.

Comprehensive Reform for the Veterans Committee -- Fixing the Hall continued.

Blog Entries
    Just to note, I wrote this in the first post:

A brief justification for your player is a good thing to include

Maybe also include who else you considered listing. Not required, of course.

Hank Aaron is definitely not the sixth best player ever. He was consistent, but not the sixth greatest player ever. I will probably remove him on my turn if windy city fan doesn't.
    One of the chief duties of the fan is to engage in arguments with the man behind him. ~Robert Benchley

A mystique of history and heritage surrounds the New York Yankees. It's like the old days revived. We're loved and hated, but always in larger doses than any other team.... The Yankees mean baseball to more people than all the other teams combined. ~Paul Blair, quoted in Washington Post, 22 June 1978

P.S My position bests
    C Johnny Bench
    1B Lou Gehrig
    2B Rogers Hornsby, the greatest cardinal ever
    3B Mike Schmidt
    SS Honus Wagner
    LF Ted Williams/Barry Bonds
    CF Ty Cobb (Willie Mays is a close second)
    RF Babe Ruth
    P Walter Johnson
    One of the chief duties of the fan is to engage in arguments with the man behind him. ~Robert Benchley

A mystique of history and heritage surrounds the New York Yankees. It's like the old days revived. We're loved and hated, but always in larger doses than any other team.... The Yankees mean baseball to more people than all the other teams combined. ~Paul Blair, quoted in Washington Post, 22 June 1978

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan94 View Post
    Hank Aaron is definitely not the sixth best player ever. He was consistent, but not the sixth greatest player ever. I will probably remove him on my turn if windy city fan doesn't.
    I would probably go with Ted Williams, considering war credit. However, if you're interested in total value, Aaron's not a bad choice. I think he gets high marks for character, as well as having had some impact on the game off the field, I would leave him, he's top 10 easily. But that's just me.

I had a tough time deciding between Barry Bonds and Hank Aaron when I made my choice for number 5. I went with Barry as the number 5 player but I'm glad leecemark picked Hank at number 6. If it were me I would leave him at number 6.

At this point I probably wouldn't undo Cy Young, Walter Johnson, or Roger Clemens.

Matty, Lou Gehrig, or Tom Seaver would set me grumbling about New York.

Windy city fan's been on the clock for 20 hours. To expedite this in the early rounds, why don't we go to a 6 hour clock and if the person doesn't post within that time frame they lose their turn. I personally don't care if I end up being skipped due to a shorter clock and would rather see this move along at least in the early rounds. The 24 hour clock has the potential to make this project really drag, IMO.

Blog Entries
    Windy city fan's been on the clock for 20 hours. To expedite this in the early rounds, why don't we go to a 6 hour clock and if the person doesn't post within that time frame they lose their turn. I personally don't care if I end up being skipped due to a shorter clock and would rather see this move along at least in the early rounds. The 24 hour clock has the potential to make this project really drag, IMO.
    I can see where it's tougher for some on weekends. That being said, WCF signed up for the project, so one would hope he's keeping tabs.

I suggested earlier that the person after him, Yankeefan94, should send WCF a message in the waning hours of his clock; hopefully he's done that and has his turn all ready to go.

Remember, after Yankeefan94's turn we'll go the the hour delay between turns, unless there is general disagreement with that among the electorate. I'm pretty flexible and will try to conduct the Game in a way that's agreeable to the majority of Gamers.

Finally, I prefer this Game to proceed at a liesurely pace. If that means I'm getting only two or three turns in a week for myself, it doesn't bother me. Again, this Game could continue for years. We have, what, 18,000 players we could rank between MLB and Negro leagues?

I sent a message to Windy City Fan and told him to post by 6 pm EST.
    Last edited by Yankeefan94; 08-09-2008 at 01:32 PM.

P.S
    Maybe we should shorten the required between posts, andthe amount of clock time a person gets, but allow more unexcused absences.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan94 View Post
    P.S
    Maybe we should shorten the required between posts, andthe amount of clock time a person gets, but allow more unexcused absences.
    We could do that. How about:

Shorten post delay from one hour to a half an hour?
    Shorten clock maximum from 24 to 18 hours?
    Increase unexcused absences from two to four?

What say others?

Leisurely is fine as long as we don't end up going 3-4 days without a pick like we did on several occasions with the SOC draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow View Post

Shorten post delay from one hour to a half an hour?
    Either way is fine.

Shorten clock maximum from 24 to 18 hours?
    24 hours is easier to remember and keep track of. Plus it allows for all our different schedules. 18 hours is too odd of a time span. If this is meant to be ran rather leisurely, let's keep the time element simple and leisurely as well.

Increase unexcused absences from two to four?
    I don't think we have to change this either. But it's not much of an issue either way.

Page 3 of 199 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast