Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Olympic tournament

For me it is looking more like search for reason that canīt be fullfilled!

Sport (Olympic Sport) is politic and a lot of BS is been told there.

btw. Korea won in a heartbreaking 9. with Bases loaded 1 Out against Cuba 3:2
    at the time the Koreans celebrate their Gold medall you can hear in the music Backround "the final Countdown" of Europe

No the best idea of the music manager over there in my opinion
    The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

I'm dying to know what Min Ho Kang said to Cotto that made Cotto toss him out
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    I'm dying to know what Min Ho Kang said to Cotto that made Cotto toss him out
    Maybe that he has really nice blue eyes

Wow

Just got back to my Beijing hotel after the medal cermony. Too much talk in this thread about the WBC...this is about the final Olympics for a while...what a game and what an ending. I used to be excited about watching Cuba play because we don't see them in the states. That's done now. Hate they tactics they use, hate the spikes up, the arrogance, and overall attitude. They are good, that is for sure, but I can't wait for the USA to get a chance to drill Alexei Bell in the ribs. That was pathetic last night. So glad Korea game through. They performed the best in '06, but not in the game that mattered most for them. Tonight they did. That was a fun tournament folks.

CONGRATULATIONS KOREA!!!

baseball or softball for 2016

Quoting that article at mlb.com, "IOC: MLB players needed for 2016 bid"
    >>
    The IBAF and Major League Baseball are among those lobbying in full force during the Games and will be all the way up until that decision is made. In addition to baseball and softball, the committee will be choosing among squash, karate, golf, roller sports and rugby. Baseball and softball are mutually exclusive, not a package deal.
    . . .
    [Rogge:]
    "We will consider the possibility for baseball to come back as softball also is considered next year in October," he said. "Baseball and softball will have to compete with five other sports.<<

- men's baseball or softball but not both, plus women's baseball or softball but not both?
    - baseball or softball but not both, with one or two tournaments (men or women) to be determined by the baseball or softball governors?

Note, the official Rogge (bold) is ambiguous whether baseball and softball plus five make six or seven sports. The mlb.com writer Mark Newman (underline) is clear but he may be wrong.

If IBAF had Technical Commissioners at the 2006 WBC, then I'd say they had a hand in things.

I do know one of them and I could ask him if the rule will apply to the WBC.

I e-mailed my friend and he e-mailed me back saying that the extra-inning rule will NOT be in the WBC and that the rule is going to be "evaliated within IBAF." English isn't his first language so I think that means they will possibly decide to get rid of it. To me, the rule spit in the face of the game..

Also got the inside scoop of Kang getting booted in the 9th. Kang had already had words with Cotto in the 7th and he refused to give to ball to Cotto after the first out so Cotto ran him.

Quote Originally Posted by Unit312J View Post
    Just got back to my Beijing hotel after the medal cermony. Too much talk in this thread about the WBC...this is about the final Olympics for a while...what a game and what an ending. I used to be excited about watching Cuba play because we don't see them in the states. That's done now. Hate they tactics they use, hate the spikes up, the arrogance, and overall attitude. They are good, that is for sure, but I can't wait for the USA to get a chance to drill Alexei Bell in the ribs. That was pathetic last night. So glad Korea game through. They performed the best in '06, but not in the game that mattered most for them. Tonight they did. That was a fun tournament folks.

CONGRATULATIONS KOREA!!!
    Not difficult to see why Cuba played hard.

1. They haven't forgotten 2000.

2. They were denied the chance to get a rematch in 2004.

3. USA beat them out for 1st place in the COPABE Qualifier in 2006.

4. The loss last year at the IBAF World Cup in Taiwan.

5. Two losses to the USA Nationals (collegians) at Haarlem Honkbal Week. Cuba sent the same team to Haarlem that was in Beijing.

That HAD to be motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by Unit312J View Post

CONGRATULATIONS KOREA!!!
    There are a couple players on Equipo Cuba who seem like scumbags -- I'm pointing at YOU, Ariel Pestano -- but otherwise, I think Cuba just plays with a lot of passion and Latin flair. It's not like they save the #1 signs and the arm gestures, etc., etc., for international play; you see the same thing in most regular-season Cuban games when it's Cubans vs. Cubans.

As for the "tactics" and "spikes up," etc., don't baseball purists and old-timers generally complain those things are *missing* from the modern game? Say what you want about the Cubans, but they always seem to leave it all on the field, while their opponents are left to talk about "playing hard tomorrow" and all that nonsense.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the trip to Beijing, 'Unit'. Wish I was there.

Blog Entries
    Given the fact that Rogge has been quoted in the past as saying baseball AND soft ball is "too American", I don't buy his wanting MLBers in the games as a condition...because he knows it won't happen. It;s just more BS from Rogge as far as I am concerned.
    Using Mr. Rogge's logic, badminton should also be dropped due to the Asian dominance. Weight lifting too (Eastern Europeans dominate), Women's basketball also (USA again), swimming (USA & Australia). Hopefully, he will not be re-elected as IOC president.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
    Using Mr. Rogge's logic, badminton should also be dropped due to the Asian dominance. Weight lifting too (Eastern Europeans dominate), Women's basketball also (USA again), swimming (USA & Australia). Hopefully, he will not be re-elected as IOC president.

One can hope!

If he's out, that'll help baseball's chances of returning for 2016...although I wish to hell they could get it back for 2012.

I'd LOVE to see IBAF and the BBF hold a tournament in London during the 2012 Games

Blog Entries
    I'd LOVE to see IBAF and the BBF hold a tournament in London during the 2012 Games
    It's a longshot, but I second that sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
    It's a longshot, but I second that sentiment.
    It's a bit more than a long shot. It would be nice, but with the coverage the Olympics would get, I doubt even the dedicated sports channels will give much coverage (and given the so-so coverage of this year's Olympic baseball for some posters as exemplified earlier in the thread.....). Besides, how many venues would be available? Would any be available? Anyone here from London who knows of enough green space not taken up by botanical gardens, football fields, public parks or the Olympic Stadium?

I'm sure that a major international baseball tournament can only be arranged in a populated place with government cooperation. I presume that it can only be done partly on a business basis so it would be self-destructive to compete with the Olympics for paying visitors, promotional and telecasting resources, secuirity and hospitality services.

I donīt know if you guys know that MLBInternational (Europe/Middle East/Africa) has his office in London.
    I think they if something like a Beside Olympic Tournament will be held, they will help tremendous in finding/building Ballpark(s) around London.

Blog Entries
    So what are the chances baseball will be reinstated and not replaced by huge sports like squash, rugby and karate?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345