Thread: FACT or OPINION (Read First Post for Rules)

Blog Entries

FACT or OPINION (Read First Post for Rules)

We know the difference between a fact and opinion, as it is currently defined. But sometimes there are opinions that are so obvious that they may as well be facts. It is impossible to sustain an argument that John Gochnauer is a greater player than Honus Wagner. One would need to be rather anal about strictly adhering to the true definition of fact and opinion to say that this is entirely subjective, and cannot be classified as fact.
    On the other hand, if I made the statement that Rogers Hornsby is a greater player than Joe Morgan, while I believe it to be true, I think that is a subjective choice. Even limiting it to just Hornsby supporters, most of us would agree that it is close enough to say that Hornsby over Morgan is an opinion, and not a fact as I am defining it here.
    However, there are some people who rank Hornsby much higher than Morgan, and consider the choice to be so obvious that to them, it would be absurd to choose Morgan over Hornsby. So if I were to offer the statement that Hornsby was better than Morgan, they would say FACT.
    And that brings us to this game. I will start off with a statement comparing either two players, teams, player/seasons, team/seasons, etc. The next person will say FACT if he believes it to be ridiculous to see things any other way, or opinion if he disagrees, or thinks the comparison is close enough to merit some thought. I cannot stress this enough. Even if, say, you have Gehrig ranked ahead of Musial, and are firmly set on that, if you can see any argument for Musial that doesn't venture into the realm of the absurd, you should put OPINION.
    I guess that covers it. Remember, put FACT or OPINION in capital letters when responding. And your challenge to the next person should force them to think. I used an obvious example in the Wagner/Gochnauer comparison as to what would be defined as a fact. The choices we give should be a little harder to distinguish, but not so much so that we are always stating OPINION, given the criteria I have explained.

Blog Entries
    The 1998 New York Yankees are the greatest team of the past 30 years*

*Note: I realize this isn't a direct comparison, but I'm ok with that sort of thing as long as the statement can be answered with FACT or OPINION.

[QUOTE=AstrosFan;1287792]The 1998 New York Yankees are the greatest team of the past 30 years*

FACT - their closest rivals were probably the 1989 A's, who can't match the Yankee infield, or the 2001 Mariners, who fell apart in the post-season.

My turn. The best outfield of all time, based on a minimum of three years together, was Cobb/Crawford/Veach of the Tigers from 1913 to 1916.
    Last edited by Gee Walker; 08-19-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: set minimum time together

The New York Giants moving to SF was the STUPIDEST baseball move ever (Trades only last as long as the player plays) , Nolan Ryan only played about 10 years for the Angels

The Giants gave up the NY Market for ETERNITY

Quote Originally Posted by Gee Walker View Post
    The best outfield of all time, based on a minimum of three years together, was Cobb/Crawford/Veach of the Tigers from 1913 to 1916.
    OPINION
    H.Wilson/Cuyler/Stephenson of the Cubs from 1928 to 1931.

Ichiro Suzuki is the best contact hitter since Pete Rose. Fact or opinion?

Blog Entries
    OPINION

Tony Gwynn was at least as good, if not better.

The 2001 Seattle Mariners are the best team to not make the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
    OPINION

The 2001 Seattle Mariners are the best team to not make the World Series.
    Fact

Is Ty Cobb the most hated baseball player before the modern era?Fact or Opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post

Is Ty Cobb the most hated baseball player before the modern era?Fact or Opinion?
    Opinion. The "modern era" can include the time that Cobb played. And if not, Hal Chase had his share of negative issues that made him hard to have around for nearly everybody.

FACT or Opinion?
    Gabby Hartnett was the 1st real slugging catcher.
    Last edited by dgarza; 03-08-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dgarza View Post
    Opinion. The "modern era" can include the time that Cobb played. And if not, Hal Chase had his share of negative issues that made him hard to have around for nearly everybody.

FACT or Opinion?
    Gabby Hartnett was the 1st real slugging catcher.
    Opinion: Charlie Burnett had an eight season string with OPS+ OF 140. Hartnett was only able to perform at that level (143 OPS+) for three years.

Fact or Opinion - John Gochnauer, although recognizably a shortstop not quite as good as Wagner, was the most consistent hitter in the 20th century.

Opinion: Consistent hitters might include Musial, Aaron, Cobb, etc.

Fact or Opinion: Robin Roberts is highly underrated.
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” – Walter Lippmann

"Fill in any figure you want for that boy [Mantle]. Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

Quote Originally Posted by 1905 Giants View Post

Fact or Opinion: Robin Roberts is highly underrated.
    OPINION : He's in the HOF as it is. And I think he' rated close to what he should be (just my opinion).

Fact or Opinion? Benny Kauff was best batting offensive player of the Federal League.

True. He even won SB honors in '14 & '15.

Fact or opinion: The strategy of employing artificially conditioned (humidified) baseballs to reduce homeruns at Coors Field, has spread to other teams which use it when tactically advantageous.
    Last edited by ItsOnlyGil; 03-12-2010 at 09:00 AM.

fact.
    "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'"

fact or opinion:
    "wwjd" on albert pujols'cleats are not assisting him thus far thus season.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury