Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CKL All Decade Team (1960s)

Through the magic of the encyclopedia lifetime batting and pitching registers.
    Note that my changes/additions are in bold.
    C: Elston Howard (61-64)
    1B: Moose Skorown (61-65) or Mickey Mantle 65-67 (and first two weeks of 68 - appeared in 15 games for the Gamblers that year)
    2B: Cookie Rojas (64-67)
    3B: Harmon Killebrew (61-69)
    SS: Rico Petrocelli (65-69)
    LF: Rico Carty (64-69)
    CF: Curt Flooyd (61-67)
    RF: Wes Covington (65-66)

SP1: Jim Kaat (61-69)
    SP2: Gaylord Perry (64-67)
    SP3: Mel Stottlemyre (64-69)
    SP4: Mike Cuellar (66)
    SP5: Larry Jackson (61-67) Also played about half of 1968 with the Gamblers.

RP: Moe Drawbosky (63-68 Started 68 with Gamblers then traded to Gold Sox)
    RP: Ken Tatum (69)
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Legends 1960s All Decade Team

Some of these were pretty easy since they've been with me from the start. The rest are those who have performed the best at that position.
    C: Bill Freehan - Has played every game of his career as a Legend.
    1B: Willie McCovey - Ditto Edges out Ron Santo for Player of the Decade
    2B: Joe Morgan
    3B: Ron Santo - Same as Freehan and McCovey
    SS: Gene Alley - I haven't had too many good shortstops. He only played two years for the Legends but is still the best we've had.
    LF: Rusty Staub - Not truly a left fielder, but one of the three best OFers I've had.
    CF: Rick Monday - Edges out Reggie Smith. Not as many PAs but much better production.
    RF: Hank Aaron - Only was with me in 68 & 69, but had two huge seasons and led the team to it's two championships.

SP: Fergie Jenkins - Pitcher of the Decade
    SP: Luis Tiant - Had two great seasons, including a pitcher's triple crown
    SP: Tom Seaver
    SP: Bill Monbouquette
    RP: Bob Locker
    RP: Ted Abernathy - Also a Legend since the beginning
    Last edited by catcher24; 09-08-2008 at 06:47 PM.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Thanks a bunch Lew, I will probably take Mike Cuellar off the list then.

C: Elston Howard (61-64)
    1B: Moose Skorown (61-65) or Mickey Mantle 65-67
    2B: Cookie Rojas (64-67)
    3B: Harmon Killebrew (61-69)
    SS: Rico Petrocelli (65-69)
    LF: Rico Carty (64-69)
    CF: Curt Flooyd (61-67)
    RF: Wes Covington (65-66)

SP1: Jim Kaat (61-69)
    SP2: Gaylord Perry (64-67)
    SP3: Mel Stottlemyre (64-69)
    SP4: Larry Jackson (61-68)

RP: Moe Drawbosky (63-68)
    RP: Ken Tatum (69)

--Half way through the voting and about half the owners weighing in. Please share your opinion before the polls close. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay guys...

Batting Ink scores are up on the first page. Yes Lew, they were done with James in mind. It took a while.

Anyways, here are the top scores for those too lazy to check back:

Black Ink

26 - Aaron H
    25 - Mays W
    25 - Killebrew H
    18 - Cepeda O
    13 - Gentile J
    13 - Alou M
    13 - Morgan J
    11 - Mantle M
    11 - Yastrzemski C
    9 - Brock L

Gray Ink

152 - Aaron H
    138 - Mays W
    109 - Robinson F
    92 - McCovey W
    86 - Mantle M
    84 - Killebrew H
    83 - Allen R
    80 - Williams B
    78 - Oliva T
    76 - Yastrzemski C
    Last edited by J W; 09-11-2008 at 12:49 PM.

JW, you may want to put up an Ink thread so your work isn't lost. Especially if you intend to update as we move forward.

--The first two polls - catcher and firstbase - close on the 19th. They will be closing two a day after that. If you haven't voted and wish to participate please get to them ASAP.

Great work on those ink scores, JW. Now when are the pitcher's totals going to be done?

I knew Aaron could push Mays for Player of the Decade, and looking at these scores is certainly a good argument for him. I was a bit surprised at how high McCovey finished in grey ink, since he had two really bad seasons during the decade, but then I guess quite a few of these guys didn't play the entire decade.

Thanks again JW for your efforts in providing that info.

--We'll have to vote on Player of the Decade once we've chosen the team. I think Willie takes it based on higher peak and positional value, but Hank has slipped past him in counting stats the last couple years as age has started to take its toll on the Say Hey Kid. They are definately one and two though.

Yup, it'll come down to those two. Frank Robinson would probably be #3 although McCovey is there. Killer had the bat but not the glove.

Thanks Lew! On that topic, I would like to add any cycles hit and any unassisted triple plays to Page 1. Do you have that info?

Quote Originally Posted by J W View Post
    Yup, it'll come down to those two. Frank Robinson would probably be #3 although McCovey is there. Killer had the bat but not the glove.

Thanks Lew! On that topic, I would like to add any cycles hit and any unassisted triple plays to Page 1. Do you have that info?
    Unfortunately no I don't. I could go back and recreate it for most of our seasons, but not all. It would just take a while. There wouldn't be any way to recreate it for the first couple of seasons due to the box score method Mark was using. Nothing that's his fault, though. I just found a program later in the project (after I bought my copy of Diamond Mind) that could draw data out of the box scores, but they had to be a different style than Mark had been using. He changed over as soon as I asked him too, but there's no way to get the same info out of those earlier seasons.

BTW, are you talking about Page 1 of your team page or Page 1 of the league page? If I do go back and recreate that info, I would probably pull it out for everyone and list it on a web site page.

In regards to Player of the Decade, I think I'll probably lean Aaron's way. No offense to Willie - heck, he was my favorite player growing up during the sixties, so it would almost pain me to do that. But Aaron has the numbers, was very productive all decade long, did win one MVP Award, and was an offensive force for the Legends my two championship years. Willie was simply awesome the first five years, but Hank has been top notch the entire decade.

One thing the Ink scores don't measure of course is defensive value, and the EX/EX defense Willie Mays displayed in CF (and proved by the numbers) for the majority of the decade probably puts his Win Shares per 162 ahead of anyone else. But I'm not going to touch WS or WARP for an entire decade of baseball.

Polls Closed for position players

--The polls for all the position players are closed. There was very little difference of opinion on the first team. 1B Wilie McCovey, 3B Harmon Killebrew and all three outfielders - Frank Robinson, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron - were unanimous first team choices. 2B Dick McAuliffe and SS Maury Wills made the first team on all but one ballot apiece and each was 2nd on that ballot. Catcher was the only close vote, with Bill freehan edging out Elston Howard and Joe Torre. The first, second and third teams have all been edited into post 1 of this thread.
    --The pitching ballots will be open until tomorrow night. We only have 5 ballots cast for pitchers so far - although that has been eough for some clear teirs for first, second and third team to emerge.
    --The winners from the positional polls will form the nominees for Palyer of the Decade. That vote will be up shortly.

--The last man has been added to our all decade team. Complete results are editted into post #1 of this thread.

That is a pretty darn good team, especially the first team. I suspect the 1970s team won't stack up to it but we'll see won't we! It should have a better starting rotation but then, tell that to the likes of Bob Gibson and Whitey Ford.

bump for comparison purposes with the 70s All Decade team

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12