Page 66 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2931

Thread: Marlins Park Construction

Quote Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
    I see what you're saying, but the Marlins have never hosted an ASG - their one opportunity was taken away and given to Atlanta.
    Which is a real shame, since Joe Robbie would have actually been a great venue.

When all 67,000 seats in the stadium are filled--as it was for the playoffs and World Series--the place has a totally different atmosphere than the regular season.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=fla

Ballpark topping out ceremony last Friday. The roof is almost done
    1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2051 View Post
    The Trop will probably have to at some point due to lack of AL ballclubs that haven't hosted, maybe 2016 or 2018? That is if it's not replaced or scheduled to be replaced by then.
    Tropicana Field will never host an All-Star Game.

MLB wants the Rays out of that stadium and the game will be used as leverage for a new ballpark. Somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoPadres1969 View Post
    Apparently that doesn't apply to the Padres, Phillies, Reds, or Nationals.
    I think you mean the Packers, Eagles,Bengals,or redskins
    the nfl does not give you a superbowl simply base on the fact that you build a new stadium
    it must be in a warm weather city or or in a dome
    N.J was given a superbowl,base on the fact that NYC was promise a superbowl for the West Side Stadium (NY Jets)
    and we all know what happened.
    Even though some of us feel that football should be play outside and in the cold
    that is just us the fans.
    When it come to the superbowl us fans DO NOT apply
    It is mostly for VIP's, star's and for show and tell
    so I think if the NY/NJ game is a snowout or it is freezing cold
    that will be the last time it will happen in a northern city without a dome

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drdg View Post
    I think you mean the Packers, Eagles,Bengals,or redskins
    the nfl does not give you a superbowl simply base on the fact that you build a new stadium
    it must be in a warm weather city or or in a dome
    N.J was given a superbowl,base on the fact that NYC was promise a superbowl for the West Side Stadium (NY Jets)
    and we all know what happened.
    Even though some of us feel that football should be play outside and in the cold
    that is just us the fans.
    When it come to the superbowl us fans DO NOT apply
    It is mostly for VIP's, star's and for show and tell
    so I think if the NY/NJ game is a snowout or it is freezing cold
    that will be the last time it will happen in a northern city without a dome
    It was also a kind of kick back thank you to the Giants and the Maras for what they have done for the league, and to a lesser extent the Jets and Johnson as well for both owners sharing the cost of the new place. Other than that the NFL would have NEVER put a superbowl in a non domed stadium in the cold northeast.

Not to change the subject of this thread but for anyone who hasn't seen the New Meadowlands stadium, where they spent over a billion dollars is beyond me. While it has all the new amenities that all the new fancy stadiums have, its an extremely underwhelming and stale venue. There is no unique features about it, nothing stands out. Its cavernous, pale, and really just doesn't feel like its a NY stadium. They made such a big deal about the exterior louvers which IMO don't look all that great, and the one big feature was that they would light up blue or green for each team, but you can hardly tell.

^ So it's not like the Allianz Arena, where literally the entire outer shell of the stadium lights up in different colors?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    ^ So it's not like the Allianz Arena, where literally the entire outer shell of the stadium lights up in different colors?
    No, the effect is incredibily dissapointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    ...I don't think the nfl would ever not use miami for a super bowl, it's miami...
    there are plenty of other places for the nfl to go. it's - pay for a roof or nothing - it's called blackmail.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
    ...Which is a real shame, since Joe Robbie would have actually been a great venue...
    gee, you're always writing that jrs is so bad.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    gee, you're always writing that jrs is so bad.
    Actually, I've never written that Joe Robbie Stadium was bad, even as a baseball venue. It's not close to ideal, but I personally prefer it over some of the 1960s-70s era cookie cutters--at least it had grass and interesting dimensions.

The lease at Joe Robbie sucked for the Marlins--they barely got anything out of the place. And while Florida's heat and humidity and summer showers personally doesn't bother in the least bit (I actually enjoy it!), I nonetheless can understand why it might be a turnoff for some less seasoned fans. And for regular season baseball, having 35,000 extra seats that weren't sold was pointless. The bottom line is that the Marlins are getting a baseball only stadium of their own, and that's a good thing for the franchise in the long run.

But for postseason baseball, the place rocked. I was there in the stands in 2003, and the place was incredible. 65,000 screaming, towel waving fans standing for nine innings straight (or in the case of Game 3 of the NLDS, 11 innings straight).

Part of me wishes that the Marlins would still be allowed to use Joe Robbie as their playoff ballpark should they make the postseason. No way it would ever happen, but it's cool to dream about.

Part of me wishes that the Marlins would still be allowed to use Joe Robbie as their playoff ballpark should they make the postseason. No way it would ever happen, but it's cool to dream about.
    I always wished that teams could have 2 completely different parks to use for whatever reason they want, but that would be too confusing for people who don't pay attention. Sad people are so dumb, because that would be great like college football!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

I always wished that teams could have 2 completely different parks to use for whatever reason they want, but that would be too confusing for people who don't pay attention. Sad people are so dumb, because that would be great like college football!
    Hey, the Cleveland Indians tried it for a while--weekday games at League Park, weekend games at Cleveland Stadium.

Hey, the Cleveland Indians tried it for a while--weekday games at League Park, weekend games at Cleveland Stadium.
    Now that must have been cool, how did attendence go?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Now that must have been cool, how did attendence go?
    Well, it was back in the 1930s and 1940s, so attendance probably stunk by today's standards.

Well, it was back in the 1930s and 1940s, so attendance probably stunk by today's standards.
    But by there standards was it good, because if it worked once why not again.

A lot of my friends and family wish that the rays would play some games at the yankee spring training stadium so it would be closer and outdoors.

But by there standards was it good, because if it worked once why not again.

A lot of my friends and family wish that the rays would play some games at the yankee spring training stadium so it would be closer and outdoors.
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/cleiatte.shtml

Looks like it vacilated above and below the league average depending on year.

Having the Rays play a couple of series at Legends Field would make sense and help market the team in Tampa proper. They did a similar thing in Orlando a few years back. But they'd have to maybe pick a weekday series with a weak opponent earlier in the season to make it logical. Since the Maddon era, weekend games at the Trop are decently attended and it wouldn't make any sense to trade out a crowd of 25,000-36,000 for a crowd of 10,000 max.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/cleiatte.shtml

Looks like it vacilated above and below the league average depending on year.

Having the Rays play a couple of series at Legends Field would make sense and help market the team in Tampa proper. They did a similar thing in Orlando a few years back. But they'd have to maybe pick a weekday series with a weak opponent earlier in the season to make it logical. Since the Maddon era, weekend games at the Trop are decently attended and it wouldn't make any sense to trade out a crowd of 25,000-36,000 for a crowd of 10,000 max.
    They did the rays in orlando a few times and I think it was so cool because you get a new market who may not be able to see the rays on a regular basis in person. I heard it boosted tv raitings in the area, I wonder if it is true???

I think it could go one of two ways with the tampa crowd who is "expected" to go all the way to mid st. pete to see a game. One is that people who wouldn't normally go because we never had baseball when they were kids finally go and get hook. The second is where people get so pissed that they can't be outdoors or closer all the time stop going to games in st. pete in hopes that they finally move the team to Tampa.

Is this stadium still on schedule to be finished in time for next year's opening day?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Is this stadium still on schedule to be finished in time for next year's opening day?
    For the hundredth time, YES. Why do you keep asking this on every thread?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

^ Have you taken a look at the webcam lately? Does that LOOK like it's going to be finished on time? Opening Day 2012's less than a year away.

^ Have you taken a look at the webcam lately? Does that LOOK like it's going to be finished on time? Opening Day 2012's less than a year away.
    It looks more finished than Yankee Stadium or Citi Field did with 1 year to go.

NYS, April, '08:

Citi Field, April, '08:

Marlins Ballpark, April, '11:
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    It looks more finished than Yankee Stadium or Citi Field did with 1 year to go.
    Perhaps. But like I said, not every stadium takes the same amount of time to build. Every stadium is unique. And remember what I said about 20/20 hindsight; we can look at those pictures of NYS and Citi and laugh, because we already know they were finished on time.
    Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 04-12-2011 at 12:48 AM.

And common sense is also 20/20. Try using some and stop freaking out over nothing.
    - Walt Whitman

Well, I wanted to post a picture of the exterior webcam showing how the shoring towers for the roof were now gone and how they'd started on the white canvas/fabric/whatever it is covering for the fixed part of the roof, but photobucket for some reason is making 3/4 of the picture nothing but gray, so I can't post that picture now.

I can put this picture up, though, showing that glass is now being installed on the outfield operable wall:

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/...s_fla&c_id=fla

Article about the naming rights deal, coming up in May.

What is going on top of the roof? I thought it was just going to be painted white, but it sounds like it's some sort of canvas covering
    1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Page 66 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast