Page 108 of 118 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 2931

Thread: Marlins Park Construction

City gives trolley to new Marlins stadium the go ahead

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...lins-park.html

Here's a larger map of the service area
    http://www.miamigov.com/trolley/docs/Email_Blast.pdf

First the pros:
    It links the park to a Metro rail (key word "a" metrorail stop).
    It runs every 15 minutes until 11 pm.
    It is free

Now the Cons.

Appears to be something thrown together at the last second. If more thought was put into this a larger area would have been serviced sooner. There is no connection to downtown or Brickell area. So for people living or working in those areas it will still require a metro rail trip to the Civic Center. Ideally Civic Center wouldn't be the only point to arrive at the Park, but it is better than nothing.

Interested in hearing the local's take on this.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEsasky View Post

Here's a larger map of the service area
    http://www.miamigov.com/trolley/docs/Email_Blast.pdf

First the pros:
    It links the park to a Metro rail (key word "a" metrorail stop).
    It runs every 15 minutes until 11 pm.
    It is free

Now the Cons.

Appears to be something thrown together at the last second. If more thought was put into this a larger area would have been serviced sooner. There is no connection to downtown or Brickell area. So for people living or working in those areas it will still require a metro rail trip to the Civic Center. Ideally Civic Center wouldn't be the only point to arrive at the Park, but it is better than nothing.

It reminds me of a smaller scale one we have in Tampa that connects downtown and ybor (the 2 best entertainment type of areas in Tampa). By no means is it a real type of mass transit, it was clearly meant for people to park a car or boat at one location walk around or shop then take the trolley to get food or do something at night and go back. Hope its better in Miami!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Not all of the walls are lime green. The colors gradually shift as you move around the stadium.
    "If he's a good fastball hitter...should I throw him a bad fastball?"
    - Deep Thoughts by Larry Andersen

All of San Francisco collectively just made a face palm. That's not a trolley, that's a bus decorated like a trolly. I guess there's a stigma to riding the bus when it's not in New York City. Fake Trolly fail

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    It reminds me of a smaller scale one we have in Tampa that connects downtown and ybor (the 2 best entertainment type of areas in Tampa). By no means is it a real type of mass transit, it was clearly meant for people to park a car or boat at one location walk around or shop then take the trolley to get food or do something at night and go back. Hope its better in Miami!
    Does that trolley in Tampa have it's own right of way? If this one in Miami doesn't then we're basically getting a bus route no? Seems disengenuous to call it something else.

Atlanta runs bus service from a MARTA stop to Turner Field. I used it one time when I was up there for business and I was satisfied

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    All of San Francisco collectively just made a face palm. That's not a trolley, that's a bus decorated like a trolly. I guess there's a stigma to riding the bus when it's not in New York City. Fake Trolly fail
    Actually, if you want to get technical, they're actually called tourist trolleys.
    "Obviously, no one wants to fail. But who's to say that failure's not a good thing masked in the wisdom that you can't see at that point? I just try to look at the positive." - Khalil Greene

The other question I would have is what kind of parking infrastructure is in place around Jackson? I would imagine that it was designed with hospital service in mind only. Keeping in mind that the Metro rail is not the most useful rail in the world, I worry that this trolley will be a shuttle for larger parking garages that are available for non season ticket holders. This could be a strain on their parking spaces that were created with hospital service in mind only. More thoughts?

Most of those structures are already full with patients from the hospital district. There is also the Miami Dade justice center and court complex down there. I would probably say that your best bet on parking is the residents right around the park.

The other question I would have is what kind of parking infrastructure is in place around Jackson? I would imagine that it was designed with hospital service in mind only. Keeping in mind that the Metro rail is not the most useful rail in the world, I worry that this trolley will be a shuttle for larger parking garages that are available for non season ticket holders. This could be a strain on their parking spaces that were created with hospital service in mind only. More thoughts?
    I would say in that case, the thinking is people drive to a Metrorail station and park there (for $4.00! (unless it has gone up, I haven't parked at a Metrorail station in years)), then take the train to Civic Center station and the "trolley" from there to the stadium. But who knows how it will actually shake out.
    It's good that the trolley will run until 11:00 PM, that should cover most night games that start at 7:00 (in the past, the Marlins used to start Saturday night games at 6:00 PM, but that may have been when they had some entertainment (usually some concert) after the game). But if there's a long extra-inning game, ppl will either have to leave before the end, or have a nice long walk to Civic Center station (or actually Culmer may be closer). And even then, Metrorail turns into a pumpkin shortly after midnight LOL

Does that trolley in Tampa have it's own right of way? If this one in Miami doesn't then we're basically getting a bus route no? Seems disengenuous to call it something else.

Atlanta runs bus service from a MARTA stop to Turner Field. I used it one time when I was up there for business and I was satisfied
    I'm pretty sure it does.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    Not all of the walls are lime green. The colors gradually shift as you move around the stadium.
    All of the wall padding on the walls that are closest to the field are the lime green color.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    The outfield walls are all lime green. The concourse tile walls shift from green to red to yellow around the ballpark.

I like it. Ballpark color schemes have become rather stodgy and predictable over the past several years. It's nice and refreshing to see something new and different.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

^ Agreed. And the wild color scheme is kind of a Miami thing, innit? They do things differently down there. Of course it's going to look way out there, but that's the point. It's a unique look. Everything down there is colorful.

Who knows, the mutant home run flying fish thing might even look OK during an actual game. :lol:

Web cam is updating again today. You can see they have begun putting up ads on the outfield walls. Only left field is visible and most of the wall from the left field foul pole to the home run feature is either clear or a scoreboard. Thus only a small Jiffy Lube ad is seen in the updated shot. I wonder if they plan to sell ads for the wall space above the Clevelander?

I assume that, despite what it says on the ribbon boards, there is not actually a fire alarm?

It appears that the main CF scoreboard will not have any ads around it.

Other than Kaufmann Stadium I can't think of another ballpark that can make that claim.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by TommieAgeefan View Post
    I would say in that case, the thinking is people drive to a Metrorail station and park there (for $4.00! (unless it has gone up, I haven't parked at a Metrorail station in years)), then take the train to Civic Center station and the "trolley" from there to the stadium. But who knows how it will actually shake out.
    It's good that the trolley will run until 11:00 PM, that should cover most night games that start at 7:00 (in the past, the Marlins used to start Saturday night games at 6:00 PM, but that may have been when they had some entertainment (usually some concert) after the game). But if there's a long extra-inning game, ppl will either have to leave before the end, or have a nice long walk to Civic Center station (or actually Culmer may be closer). And even then, Metrorail turns into a pumpkin shortly after midnight LOL
    Hopefully the people living in areas that have metrorail service (or that would pass by metro rail stations) would consider this option. That would be anyone living near US 1 south of downtown, Hialeah, and Doral (anyone in Doral can go to the last stop on the north part of the Metrorail. That leaves out a lot of people. This summer MIA is getting linked to the Metro rail. Currently the Tri Rail terminates at MIA. So perhaps a Palm Beach County resident could take the tri rail to MIA, transfer to the Metro Rail connector, take that to the Earlington Heights station, transfer to the regular metro. Go to civic center, get on the trolley. Boom you are there. How's that sound for fun?

Hopefully the people living in areas that have metrorail service (or that would pass by metro rail stations) would consider this option. That would be anyone living near US 1 south of downtown, Hialeah, and Doral (anyone in Doral can go to the last stop on the north part of the Metrorail. That leaves out a lot of people. This summer MIA is getting linked to the Metro rail. Currently the Tri Rail terminates at MIA. So perhaps a Palm Beach County resident could take the tri rail to MIA, transfer to the Metro Rail connector, take that to the Earlington Heights station, transfer to the regular metro. Go to civic center, get on the trolley. Boom you are there. How's that sound for fun?
    Probably, anyone taking Tri-Rail would simply transfer to Metrorail at the existing Tri-Rail/Metrorail transfer station (79 St). One less transfer. But Tri-Rail goes to bed much earlier than Metrorail, currently, the last northbound Tri-Rail train leaves the Metrorail transfer station at 9:49 PM! Basically, T-R would only be an option for Sunday afternoon games (the Marlins hardly ever play on Saturday afternoons, only on those extremly rare occasions when Fox carries the game, and even then it's usually a 4 PM ET start). Oh, and if you misconnect on Sunday, 2 hour wait between trains. So basically not a viable option. I would say that any Broward/Palm Beach county Marlins fans that want to come to the games will be driving.

From what I've seen from living in Florida for the past 15 years, trolley, bus or any other public transportation use will be minimal. People here drive everywhere, and even move their cars around in parking lots when they need to go from one end of a large shopping center to the other. If people can't drive and park their cars nearby, they won't go. Sadly, as far as Marlins Park is concerned, if fans can't or won't pay for parking, they certainly won't buy a ticket for most events.
    "Chef Bill"
    Boynton Beach, Florida

This whole multiple train things sounds no different then when I was in downtown Chicago and I had to take the brown line to Belmont and the red line to Addison to get to Wrigley. I'm sure it won't be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Bill View Post
    From what I've seen from living in Florida for the past 15 years, trolley, bus or any other public transportation use will be minimal. People here drive everywhere, and even move their cars around in parking lots when they need to go from one end of a large shopping center to the other. If people can't drive and park their cars nearby, they won't go. Sadly, as far as Marlins Park is concerned, if fans can't or won't pay for parking, they certainly won't buy a ticket for most events.
    Its a unique state because we drive everywhere since there is no mass transit in our state like ny or chicago I completely know what you mean I hear a lot of people who say they want to go at their own pace and have their stuff in the car in case they forget it they can go back and get it real fast. Hopefully people will change though.

Marlins Tickets went on sale today for anyone interested:
    http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/mia/ticketing/presale.jsp
    Password is "INSIDER"

This is pricing for a Saturday night Mets Game:

Note the lower prices for a Monday D-backs Game:

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Its a unique state because we drive everywhere since there is no mass transit in our state like ny or chicago I completely know what you mean I hear a lot of people who say they want to go at their own pace and have their stuff in the car in case they forget it they can go back and get it real fast. Hopefully people will change though.
    There are a lot of reasons for this but one that I think is a big driver is that there are so many mini urban centers. In south florida not eveyone works downtown. You have the downtown crowd, brickell, Gables (around miracle mile),doral, miramar has some businesses, FtL, plantation, sunrise. Its not just sprawl of housing, but sprawl of office space too. Same can be said for the Tampa Bay Area. NYC and Chicago's infrastructure was set up so long ago that they focused on their downtown. Other small urban areas popped up around the existing infrastructure. In Florida the opposite happened. Its a much more difficult process. Plus old habits die hard.

There are a lot of reasons for this but one that I think is a big driver is that there are so many mini urban centers. In south florida not eveyone works downtown. You have the downtown crowd, brickell, Gables (around miracle mile),doral, miramar has some businesses, FtL, plantation, sunrise. Its not just sprawl of housing, but sprawl of office space too. Same can be said for the Tampa Bay Area. NYC and Chicago's infrastructure was set up so long ago that they focused on their downtown. Other small urban areas popped up around the existing infrastructure. In Florida the opposite happened. Its a much more difficult process. Plus old habits die hard.
    Dude what's up with Doral. I went to the Walmart there and NO ONE spoke English, I mean no one. I asked 4 separate clerks a basic question and they looked at me like I was from Mars. The supervisor I was referred to could manage a couple of broken words and pointed me in the wrong direction. I was shocked. I live in Queens, the most diverse area on the entire planet. I'm used to interacting with native Spanish speaking people but they all can manage in English more or less. But this was the store management + everyone inside with zero understanding of English, in the United States - what the.....

Page 108 of 118 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 ... LastLast