Page 109 of 118 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 2931

Thread: Marlins Park Construction

I really like the design of the new stadium - far nicer in scale than, say, the ersatz 'Yankee Stadium' in the Bronx. This really fits!
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Impressive.
    The marlins gave a media tour yesterday
    Photos are from the Miami Herald
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/0...t_type=gallery
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterrod16 View Post
    Impressive.
    The marlins gave a media tour yesterday
    Photos are from the Miami Herald
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/0...t_type=gallery
    Great looking ballpark. Marlin's supposed to have a pretty good team too . . . sure hope they can put some butts in those seats!
    Some's basturds, some's ain't, thats the score.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerODell View Post
    . . . sure hope they can put some butts in those seats!
    I wouldn't count on it. Most of South Florida is pretty much broke

Is the New Stadium "Art Deco?"

Mike Francesa, who hosts a very popular and authoritative sports radio program based in New York, alluded to the new Marlins Stadium as being "Art Deco" in design.
    What are the attributes of the stadium that qualifies it as being "Art Deco?"

It's in Miami, therefore...

Quote Originally Posted by sheagoodbye1010 View Post
    Mike Francesa, who hosts a very popular and authoritative sports radio program based in New York, alluded to the new Marlins Stadium as being "Art Deco" in design.
    Well, he isn't authoritative on architecture. There is nothing Art Deco about Marlins Park.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Ballpark View Post
    Well, he isn't authoritative on architecture. There is nothing Art Deco about Marlins Park.
    Agreed. Anyone calling the style of architecture art deco doesn't know the definition.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

- Walt Whitman

Is it just me, or do those "waves" look like they were made by some kids during 3rd grade art period?

Also, didn't metric distance markers go out with the leisure suit?

"Flamingos are a go?"

"Yes, they look very nice"
    LOL
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Agreed. Anyone calling the style of architecture art deco doesn't know the definition.
    But he "hosts a very popular and authoritative sports radio program based in New York."

How could he possibly be wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by sheagoodbye1010 View Post
    I don't know much about art, but I did listen to the show this afternoon, and he did say weird mix between Art Deco and Jimmy Buffet or Parrot Head. Not sure if that makes it any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    I don't know much about art, but I did listen to the show this afternoon, and he did say weird mix between Art Deco and Jimmy Buffet or Parrot Head. Not sure if that makes it any better.
    Well, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and he's wrong.

Miami has a ton of great Art Deco buildings...

5212371359_73f2d20578_z.jpg

6575858825_98ba0848dc.jpg

5230052493_06f8b6e0a7_z.jpg

...and trust us--Marlins Park is NOT one of them.
    - Walt Whitman

The Cavalier reminds me of this one ballpark that used to be in the Bronx...the name of said ballpark escapes me at the moment.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

Blog Entries
    Individual game tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Dude what's up with Doral. I went to the Walmart there and NO ONE spoke English, I mean no one. I asked 4 separate clerks a basic question and they looked at me like I was from Mars. The supervisor I was referred to could manage a couple of broken words and pointed me in the wrong direction. I was shocked. I live in Queens, the most diverse area on the entire planet. I'm used to interacting with native Spanish speaking people but they all can manage in English more or less. But this was the store management + everyone inside with zero understanding of English, in the United States - what the.....
    That's pretty much the status quo in certain parts of Dade County. I work not all that far from Doral, and I experience similar results when I venture into the local stores before work or during lunch (and these aren't mom and pop places, major chains like Publix, McDonald's etc.) Got so I had to stop using the drive-thru at McDonald's and go inside so that they wouldn't screw up the order (or if they did, I could correct it on the spot, not that easy to do in the drive-thru with other cars behind you). And parts of Broward (at least my part, which is Southwest Broward, not far from Dade County) is getting to be the same way. I've taken to shopping in central Broward or even southern Palm Beach county, so far that has remained pretty much English-speaking.

The fish are kind of cool, but it looks like those fluorescent green surfaces won't age well.

And seeing the "Psychedelic Matterhorn" close up reminds me of something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEsasky View Post
    There are a lot of reasons for this but one that I think is a big driver is that there are so many mini urban centers. In south florida not eveyone works downtown. You have the downtown crowd, brickell, Gables (around miracle mile),doral, miramar has some businesses, FtL, plantation, sunrise. Its not just sprawl of housing, but sprawl of office space too. Same can be said for the Tampa Bay Area. NYC and Chicago's infrastructure was set up so long ago that they focused on their downtown. Other small urban areas popped up around the existing infrastructure. In Florida the opposite happened. Its a much more difficult process. Plus old habits die hard.
    Florida didn't boom until after the 1950s when Air Conditioning was invented making houses livable. So I'm assuming places like that just saw cars as the wave of the future and any other form of mass transit as being on its last leg. It was a weird time between trains being needed because not everyone had a car and this period where people use trains to not pollute the air.

The problem now that we are facing in Tampa is what Miami has been facing, the town spread out further than ever and now they need mass transit if either city wants to stay connect to other parts of town or fewer people will go to these places.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Florida didn't boom until after the 1950s when Air Conditioning was invented making houses livable. So I'm assuming places like that just saw cars as the wave of the future and any other form of mass transit as being on its last leg. It was a weird time between trains being needed because not everyone had a car and this period where people use trains to not pollute the air.

The problem now that we are facing in Tampa is what Miami has been facing, the town spread out further than ever and now they need mass transit if either city wants to stay connect to other parts of town or fewer people will go to these places.
    $4 - $5 a gallon would be more of an inducement to use rail transit than air quality.
    problem is rail transit construction per mile is extremely expensive these days ($10m+ per mile) even if the right-of-way already exists.
    with the "spread" a rail transit spine without connecting tributaries like subway systems (ny, bost., phil., d.c., chi, etc.) the areas served are in a narrow band.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

I call it Losangelesation

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    $4 - $5 a gallon would be more of an inducement to use rail transit than air quality.
    problem is rail transit construction per mile is extremely expensive these days ($10m+ per mile) even if the right-of-way already exists.
    with the "spread" a rail transit spine without connecting tributaries like subway systems (ny, bost., phil., d.c., chi, etc.) the areas served are in a narrow band.
    Tampa tried to build a light rail to orlando for disney and the magic 2 years ago, but people pitched a fit over the price tag.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Tampa tried to build a light rail to orlando for disney and the magic 2 years ago, but people pitched a fit over the price tag.
    Plus honestly i'd rather have a light rail that went all around St Pete/Tampa/Clearwater than to go to Disney/Orlando.
    "Obviously, no one wants to fail. But who's to say that failure's not a good thing masked in the wisdom that you can't see at that point? I just try to look at the positive." - Khalil Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Starion View Post
    Plus honestly i'd rather have a light rail that went all around St Pete/Tampa/Clearwater than to go to Disney/Orlando.
    Yeah seriously I feel the same way that the beach is more appealing then disney!

Are the outfield walls going to be that color?

Page 109 of 118 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast