Page 43 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2931

Thread: Marlins Park Construction

Late Evening Marlins Photo Update
    Courtesy of "Festa"

nice angle!
    Ik heb een intense liefde voor de brouwers

I wonder how they're going to do the rest of the span of the roof. They put up another truss section today between the first and second supports, and you can see now how much the roof slopes down because of the higher tracks on the third base side. Will they put up more temporary supports first, or can they do the entire gap in one?

I also didn't realize how far outside the roof tracks the ballpark structure extended in right field, and it's probably the same on the third base side. It's really a circular building with a rectangular roof setup. Great find, brewerfan.
    1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

This Ballpark is looking good!

Very promising!
    Texas Rangers: Estabalished 1972 (Arlington, Texas)

Games played at The Ballpark In Arlington (est. 1994)

World Series Titles: 0 (Damn you David Freese, DAMN YOU!)

American League Pennants: 2 (2010, 2011)

American League West Division Titles: 5 (1996, 1998, 1999, 2010, 2011)

American League Wild Card Berths: 1 (2012) (grumble)

It will always be The Ballpark In Arlington to me

anyone have any pics of the gears and track that will make the roof move?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

I'd love to see that too. It looks like they're going to use rails that look like regular train tracks. The panoramic view on the webcam allows you to look down the southern roof track, but not much is happening up there yet. They have rebar forms on the surface of the track beams, and rails lying up there, but they aren't in place yet, at least in the section you can see from the panoramic.
    1997 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    I agree sometimes a brick stadium feels out of place (ballpark in arlington), so this looks great is miami!
    Actually, if you drive around suburban DFWdom you soon realize that Rangers Ballpark and its stone to brick to green metal up top is spot on with its location. Looks like half the Walmarts and Albertsons and strip malls around town.

Quote Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
    Actually, if you drive around suburban DFWdom you soon realize that Rangers Ballpark and its stone to brick to green metal up top is spot on with its location. Looks like half the Walmarts and Albertsons and strip malls around town.
    Oh well that's good. Nothing like blending in with the strip malls and Wally World - which is par for the course for these Mallparks.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index....post&p=1357785

Concessions stands are already taking shape – complete with the bright-colored tile that is part of the ballpark’s signature style. There will be four color quadrants – blue, yellow, red and green – borrowed from Spanish painter Joan Miro’s palette that will easily help fans identify where they are in the ballpark. Already, blue tile has gone up in concession areas.
    -From Sarah Talalay's blog

From the seat selection guide:

The sales center is decorated in a lot of white with a mixture of these colors and a lot of modern furniture (think IKEA). Everything in the mock-up suite was white. It looks like they hired the same people who design Macs and iPods for the furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
    Oh well that's good. Nothing like blending in with the strip malls and Wally World - which is par for the course for these Mallparks.
    The Ballpark In Arlington is far from a "MallPark",

everything after 1990 is a mallpark...

Concessions stands are already taking shape – complete with the bright-colored tile that is part of the ballpark’s signature style. There will be four color quadrants – blue, yellow, red and green – borrowed from Spanish painter Joan Miro’s palette that will easily help fans identify where they are in the ballpark. Already, blue tile has gone up in concession areas.

you won't see any of this unless you pay up big $$$'s...

Last I checked, the Marlins had plans to install concession stands in the upper deck too. So people can pay small $$$s and look at pretty tiles too.
    1997 2003

Sorry to get off-topic but, What excatly constitutes a "Mallpark"?

I guess I am not looking at it from the right point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRed View Post
    Sorry to get off-topic but, What excatly constitutes a "Mallpark"?

I guess I am not looking at it from the right point of view.
    a place where separating the patrons from the maximum amount of $$$'s is more important than what's going on the field.
    wfan's mike francesa talked about the on thursday. he brought up why many seats may be unoccupied during games (aside from not sold), it's because of the distractions stuffed into the new buildings.
    why do the mets have a mini-field in center while an mlb game is going on right in front of everybody?
    it's to get you to walk by the maximum number of stores/food outlets that will tempt you to spend, it's simple marketing and it work$.
    the gi-ants do the same with the dangerous slide and similar field distraction at telco park.
    $ell, $ell,$ell...

Quote Originally Posted by marlins739 View Post
    I wonder how they're going to do the rest of the span of the roof. They put up another truss section today between the first and second supports, and you can see now how much the roof slopes down because of the higher tracks on the third base side. Will they put up more temporary supports first, or can they do the entire gap in one?

I also didn't realize how far outside the roof tracks the ballpark structure extended in right field, and it's probably the same on the third base side. It's really a circular building with a rectangular roof setup. Great find, brewerfan.

The roof DOES slope downward to the south - it's designed that way "to reduce the visual bulk of the stadium" (or something along those lines was the reasoning). So it's not like the roof isn't high enough/able to support itself - it's meant to look like that, even though I know it looks funny. I thought the same thing for a second when they first put that second section on, and then remembered that the entire ballpark slopes downward as it goes toward the south. The south roof track is shorter than the north track - that's why it didn't take as long to build that side way back when they were doing the super columns too.

They can say what they want about reducing the 'visual bulk,' but I bet the real reason was to keep the cooling costs down. That's why Tropicana Field has the slanted roof, to lower the interior volume of air. It's going to be expensive to run the air conditioners all summer.

It's sort of the opposite setup from Minute Maid Park, where the lowest part of the roof is in the infield section, and it gets higher as you move toward the peak in left field. It must be high enough up to not have to worry about fly balls hitting it. The roof tracks sure do look enormous from the outside on the highway

1997 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    a place where separating the patrons from the maximum amount of $$$'s is more important than what's going on the field.
    wfan's mike francesa talked about the on thursday. he brought up why many seats may be unoccupied during games (aside from not sold), it's because of the distractions stuffed into the new buildings.
    why do the mets have a mini-field in center while an mlb game is going on right in front of everybody?
    it's to get you to walk by the maximum number of stores/food outlets that will tempt you to spend, it's simple marketing and it work$.
    the gi-ants do the same with the dangerous slide and similar field distraction at telco park.
    $ell, $ell,$ell...
    I was wondering that too. I think now you have to have things like big suites for the copmanys to lease and stuff like that to stay a float, but good point why do we need a mini ball field when their is a real game behind you.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

They can say what they want about reducing the 'visual bulk,' but I bet the real reason was to keep the cooling costs down. That's why Tropicana Field has the slanted roof, to lower the interior volume of air. It's going to be expensive to run the air conditioners all summer.

It's sort of the opposite setup from Minute Maid Park, where the lowest part of the roof is in the infield section, and it gets higher as you move toward the peak in left field. It must be high enough up to not have to worry about fly balls hitting it. The roof tracks sure do look enormous from the outside on the highway.
    Oh I'm sure it's more for costs (both in construction and down the road) too, I was just stating the "official" reason.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
    Oh I'm sure it's more for costs (both in construction and down the road) too, I was just stating the "official" reason.
    It probably will help make it look a little smaller on the outside too. That would be a good thing, it looks wide and flat in the renderings but up close and personal, this is going to be a very tall place, even more so because we can't have the field below ground here. The upper deck is already 7 stories tall, and the roof will probably add 50 feet to the height of the building.

I wonder how small it'll feel inside, with only 37,000 seats. I'm hoping it feels as intimate as PNC, and the renderings just make it look bigger because that's what other parks look like.
    1997 2003

... why do we need a mini ball field when their is a real game behind you...
    in front of everybody...

again, it's $ell,$ell,$ell...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    in front of everybody...

again, it's $ell,$ell,$ell...
    Do you think every baseball team should be run as a non-profit? If having a mini ball field helps bring attendance numbers up, then it's a good thing for the team. It helps them sign better players, keep the ones they have, and put a better team on the field. If one of your complaints is that Loria and Samson are cheap owners, then raising more revenue is a good thing. If you don't like the little kids area, then don't go out there. Is the Coke bottle in San Francisco such a distraction that you can't watch the game from your seat? No. If having these things in the ballpark is so offensive, stay home.

The seats going unsold because of ridiculous ticket prices is a different story. With a good team on the field, more people will keep their butts in their seats, and pay to sit in the ones that are going empty now. It's no surprise that when the Mets were struggling, the seats behind the plate were going unsold. And no matter how good any team is, seats over $1000 are never going to do well in a recession.
    1997 2003

Do you think every baseball team should be run as a non-profit? If having a mini ball field helps bring attendance numbers up, then it's a good thing for the team. It helps them sign better players, keep the ones they have, and put a better team on the field. If one of your complaints is that Loria and Samson are cheap owners, then raising more revenue is a good thing. If you don't like the little kids area, then don't go out there. Is the Coke bottle in San Francisco such a distraction that you can't watch the game from your seat? No. If having these things in the ballpark is so offensive, stay home.

The seats going unsold because of ridiculous ticket prices is a different story. With a good team on the field, more people will keep their butts in their seats, and pay to sit in the ones that are going empty now. It's no surprise that when the Mets were struggling, the seats behind the plate were going unsold. And no matter how good any team is, seats over $1000 are never going to do well in a recession.
    I think he was talking about how the times have changed. For years baseball has had sell out crowds in the same size stadiums we have today (give or take) and they did it without gemics.

I know I for one grew up in the mtv generation and just like everyone of the high school students I teach have trouble following a baseball game sometimes so I like onfield promotions and videos on the jumbo trons, so I agree that the game is changing and so is the population and these are steps needed to survive these dasys whether we like them or not.

For years baseball has had sell out crowds in the same size stadiums we have today (give or take)
    Wow, that's a really short memory. MLB is by far drawing more fans now than they ever have in the past. A 30,000 crowd on a Tuesday night used to be considered great. Now its dissapointing.

Some people (like me) watch every pitch from their seat, some like to roam around, some like to hang out at the little field. What's wrong with having choice?

To back that up, here's a (unrelated to the Marlins, sorry) picture:

Was this weak Yankee crowd during the dark days of the early 90's? Nope, its from August 9, 2001, less than a year from winning their 26th championship (and 3rd straight, 4 of 5). According to retrosheet, paid attendance was 21,223.

Page 43 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast