Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Million Dollar Arm Hunt (India)

Blog Entries
    Rinku earned his 2nd win for West Virginia; he's 2-0 with 2.70 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 10 Innings of work.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
    Rinku earned his 2nd win for West Virginia; he's 2-0 with 2.70 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 10 Innings of work.
    Yeah. His walks are way down, which is a great sign. A nice number of strikeouts too.

He's had a few rough innings. But they're outliers. For the most part, this is really an incredible performance.

Blog Entries

Gaurav Nehra wins “The Million Dollar Arm” Season 2

Over two weeks ago...

Bengaluru: Gaurav Nehra, a javelin throw athlete from Ghaziabad, UP has won The Million Dollar Arm – “The search for India’s Best Baseball Contenders” Season 2, with pitches of 85 miles per hour. The first and the second runners-up were Gaurav Kumar from Rohtak & Kalttar Singh also from Meerut. The winner, Gaurav Nehra made the fastest pitch with a speed of 85 miles per hour per/hr to bag the prize money of US$ 50,000 and a golden opportunity to train at Major League Baseball (MLB) Academy in China.

Source: http://apnnews.com/2011/08/31/gaurav...-arm-season-2/

Blog Entries
    The Million Dollar Arm should really evolve into a Million Dollar Skills contest. Maybe it will, because of MLB's involvement in TMDA. Some of the participants that don't make the final cut may have above average speed and hand/eye coordination. The first two TMDA winners were Javelin Throwers, not Cricketers. Opening up the range of skills would only make the contest more appealing to participants. Any thoughts?

I wonder about all those indian javelin throwers who only throw 80s. Are they amateur javelin throwers? I know india is not good at the javelin but an elite javelin thrower should be able to throw well over 90 right away. american jav thrower breaux greer (90+m thrower) threw high 90s as a HS kid.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and can’t run, most of the time he’s clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. – Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    I wonder about all those indian javelin throwers who only throw 80s. Are they amateur javelin throwers? I know india is not good at the javelin but an elite javelin thrower should be able to throw well over 90 right away. american jav thrower breaux greer (90+m thrower) threw high 90s as a HS kid.
    This season of the contest required the participants to not only throw it hard, but to throw for strikes. I'm sure that took something off the speed for the final contestants.

Blog Entries
    Rally, Any thoughts on TMDA becoming a Skills Contest? There are plenty of Cricket players in India that possess the basic skills to play baseball.

Rally, Any thoughts on TMDA becoming a Skills Contest? There are plenty of Cricket players in India that possess the basic skills to play baseball.
    That could make sense if (1) it's true that cricket players possess the basic skills to play baseball. (From what I've read, I'm not sure that's right at all.) And (2) if Indians who play cricket WANT to play baseball. Contrary to reports, Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel weren't cricketers. They were javeline throwers. The financial rewards for becoming a successful cricket player in India are already pretty high. In fact, foreigners come to play in the national 20/20 league. I don't know if MLB would have much luck convincing a young man with cricket skills to abandon that and try something else that's completely foreign and very risky.

in cricket you throw with a straight arm (rules prohibit to bend the arm). so the cricket throw is totally different.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and can’t run, most of the time he’s clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. – Dusty Baker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    That could make sense if (1) it's true that cricket players possess the basic skills to play baseball. (From what I've read, I'm not sure that's right at all.)
    I've based my theory that cricket skills may translate to basic baseball skills on Pakistan's success in the South/Southeast Asia region. They [Pakistan] seemingly came out of nowhere to become one the better teams in their region. Neighboring India, has a larger population and a rich cricket culture; there is no reason for them not to duplicate Pakistan's success. Imagine what India might do with MLB's support. MLB's involvement in another emerging super populous country [China] may indicate their willingness to commit to a similar promotional effort in India.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    And (2) if Indians who play cricket WANT to play baseball. Contrary to reports, Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel weren't cricketers. They were javeline throwers. The financial rewards for becoming a successful cricket player in India are already pretty high. In fact, foreigners come to play in the national 20/20 league. I don't know if MLB would have much luck convincing a young man with cricket skills to abandon that and try something else that's completely foreign and very risky.
    That is possible, but there are many cricketers in India that probably didn't make the cut to play in the IPL or any other cricket leagues. The residual talent that doesn't make it in cricket could be interested in an alternative route. Remember this is only a theory.

I've based my theory that cricket skills may translate to basic baseball skills on Pakistan's success in the South/Southeast Asia region. They [Pakistan] seemingly came out of nowhere to become one the better teams in their region.
    The Pakistan team is made of military and police men. In other words, they picked athletically talented people to begin with. That was enough to put Pakistan on the top of that region.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    The Pakistan team is made of military and police men. In other words, they picked athletically talented people to begin with. That was enough to put Pakistan on the top of that region.
    That is an interesting way to assemble a team. Would you agree that if TMDA were to look for other athletic skills aside from throwing; that India could use those athletes to accomplish the same in baseball as Pakistan?

That is an interesting way to assemble a team. Would you agree that if TMDA were to look for other athletic skills aside from throwing; that India could use those athletes to accomplish the same in baseball as Pakistan?
    I'm not sure if Indians would be motivated enough to assemble a team to be in the same tournament as Pakistan for a lot of reasons.

Blog Entries
    Rinku Singh has been selected for the World Team in ABL All-Star Game.
    Source: http://web.theabl.com.au//news/artic...=.jsp&sid=l595

With a small playing pool the teams are picked on reputation moreso than form.
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew82 View Post
    With a small playing pool the teams are picked on reputation moreso than form.
    That may be right. But Rinku's 0.00 ERA doesn't hurt. (Admittedly, he's only pitched 4 innings so far because of visa issues. But so far, he's unhittable.)

Having seen him play both this year and last he is throwing strikes more consistently than he was for the Cavalry.
    Still 4 IP is hardly stamping a trip to an All Star Game.

Given that it's being broadcast in North America, will you be watching the ABL ASG?
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew82 View Post
    Given that it's being broadcast in North America, will you be watching the ABL ASG?
    Which Network? I will definitely watch.

Which Network? I will definitely watch.
    MLB Network

MLB Network. I posted a link in the ABL thread last week...here it is again: http://web.theabl.com.au/news/articl...=.jsp&sid=l595

If there was a bit more notice I would head to Perth to see it.
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Blog Entries
    The last six weeks have been rough for Rinku; 12 ER and 2.38 WHIP in the last 13 Innings of work. This is a step back for him. He will need to make the necessary corrections this spring if he wants to continue his growth or it might be the end of this project for the Pirates.

http://web.theabl.com.au/stats/stats...pbp&pid=573653

Blog Entries

Baseball dream ends but 23-yr-old Varanasi youth returns a winner

Here is a recent article on Dinesh Patel:
    http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ba...inner/928720/0

Here is a recent article on Dinesh Patel:
    http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ba...inner/928720/0
    It's disappointing to see that Dinesh has essentially turned his back on baseball since returning to India. But not surprising: As he says, there's no baseball there. So what could he do?

It just goes to show the challenges MLB has in growing the game in countries with no baseball tradition. And how important it will for Rinku to continue having success.

Speaking of Rinku, he's starting this year again in the Pirates' Low-A league affiliate, the West Virginia Power. He's already pitched four innings in two games, giving up five hits but with no earned runs. He hasn't gotten higher than Low-A ball. But if he can get on track and avoid the meltdowns he had in the ABL after its all-star break--and the one he had down the stretch last season in Charleston--he might be a candidate for a promotion to the Pirates' High-A affiliate in Bradenton, Florida.

Blog Entries
    2012 West Virginia Power stats so far: 15.2 IP, 2.87 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 14 K.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=573653

I understand that Pakistan's rise in Asian baseball was due to the cricketeers hitting, not bowling... I mean pitching!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast