X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SouthwestAmAZins
    Playertobenamedlater
    • Apr 2007

Rinku earned his 2nd win for West Virginia; he's 2-0 with 2.70 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 10 Innings of work.

Comment

• Rally Monkey
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
      Rinku earned his 2nd win for West Virginia; he's 2-0 with 2.70 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 10 Innings of work.
      Yeah. His walks are way down, which is a great sign. A nice number of strikeouts too.

He's had a few rough innings. But they're outliers. For the most part, this is really an incredible performance.

Comment

• SouthwestAmAZins
        Playertobenamedlater
        • Apr 2007

Gaurav Nehra wins “The Million Dollar Arm” Season 2

Over two weeks ago...

Bengaluru: Gaurav Nehra, a javelin throw athlete from Ghaziabad, UP has won The Million Dollar Arm – “The search for India’s Best Baseball Contenders” Season 2, with pitches of 85 miles per hour. The first and the second runners-up were Gaurav Kumar from Rohtak & Kalttar Singh also from Meerut. The winner, Gaurav Nehra made the fastest pitch with a speed of 85 miles per hour per/hr to bag the prize money of US$ 50,000 and a golden opportunity to train at Major League Baseball (MLB) Academy in China.

Source: http://apnnews.com/2011/08/31/gaurav...-arm-season-2/

Comment

• SouthwestAmAZins
          Playertobenamedlater
          • Apr 2007

The Million Dollar Arm should really evolve into a Million Dollar Skills contest. Maybe it will, because of MLB's involvement in TMDA. Some of the participants that don't make the final cut may have above average speed and hand/eye coordination. The first two TMDA winners were Javelin Throwers, not Cricketers. Opening up the range of skills would only make the contest more appealing to participants. Any thoughts?

Comment

• dominik
            • Oct 2008

I wonder about all those indian javelin throwers who only throw 80s. Are they amateur javelin throwers? I know india is not good at the javelin but an elite javelin thrower should be able to throw well over 90 right away. american jav thrower breaux greer (90+m thrower) threw high 90s as a HS kid.
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Rally Monkey
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by dominik View Post
              I wonder about all those indian javelin throwers who only throw 80s. Are they amateur javelin throwers? I know india is not good at the javelin but an elite javelin thrower should be able to throw well over 90 right away. american jav thrower breaux greer (90+m thrower) threw high 90s as a HS kid.
              This season of the contest required the participants to not only throw it hard, but to throw for strikes. I'm sure that took something off the speed for the final contestants.

Comment

• SouthwestAmAZins
                Playertobenamedlater
                • Apr 2007

Rally, Any thoughts on TMDA becoming a Skills Contest? There are plenty of Cricket players in India that possess the basic skills to play baseball.

Comment

• Rally Monkey
                  • Jul 2006

Rally, Any thoughts on TMDA becoming a Skills Contest? There are plenty of Cricket players in India that possess the basic skills to play baseball.
                  That could make sense if (1) it's true that cricket players possess the basic skills to play baseball. (From what I've read, I'm not sure that's right at all.) And (2) if Indians who play cricket WANT to play baseball. Contrary to reports, Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel weren't cricketers. They were javeline throwers. The financial rewards for becoming a successful cricket player in India are already pretty high. In fact, foreigners come to play in the national 20/20 league. I don't know if MLB would have much luck convincing a young man with cricket skills to abandon that and try something else that's completely foreign and very risky.

Comment

• dominik
                    • Oct 2008

in cricket you throw with a straight arm (rules prohibit to bend the arm). so the cricket throw is totally different.
                    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• SouthwestAmAZins
                      Playertobenamedlater
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Rally Monkey View Post
                      That could make sense if (1) it's true that cricket players possess the basic skills to play baseball. (From what I've read, I'm not sure that's right at all.)
                      I've based my theory that cricket skills may translate to basic baseball skills on Pakistan's success in the South/Southeast Asia region. They [Pakistan] seemingly came out of nowhere to become one the better teams in their region. Neighboring India, has a larger population and a rich cricket culture; there is no reason for them not to duplicate Pakistan's success. Imagine what India might do with MLB's support. MLB's involvement in another emerging super populous country [China] may indicate their willingness to commit to a similar promotional effort in India.

Originally posted by Rally Monkey View Post
                      And (2) if Indians who play cricket WANT to play baseball. Contrary to reports, Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel weren't cricketers. They were javeline throwers. The financial rewards for becoming a successful cricket player in India are already pretty high. In fact, foreigners come to play in the national 20/20 league. I don't know if MLB would have much luck convincing a young man with cricket skills to abandon that and try something else that's completely foreign and very risky.
                      That is possible, but there are many cricketers in India that probably didn't make the cut to play in the IPL or any other cricket leagues. The residual talent that doesn't make it in cricket could be interested in an alternative route. Remember this is only a theory.

Comment

• desslok
                        • Nov 2010

I've based my theory that cricket skills may translate to basic baseball skills on Pakistan's success in the South/Southeast Asia region. They [Pakistan] seemingly came out of nowhere to become one the better teams in their region.
                        The Pakistan team is made of military and police men. In other words, they picked athletically talented people to begin with. That was enough to put Pakistan on the top of that region.

Comment

• SouthwestAmAZins
                          Playertobenamedlater
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by desslok View Post
                          The Pakistan team is made of military and police men. In other words, they picked athletically talented people to begin with. That was enough to put Pakistan on the top of that region.
                          That is an interesting way to assemble a team. Would you agree that if TMDA were to look for other athletic skills aside from throwing; that India could use those athletes to accomplish the same in baseball as Pakistan?

Comment

• desslok
                            • Nov 2010

That is an interesting way to assemble a team. Would you agree that if TMDA were to look for other athletic skills aside from throwing; that India could use those athletes to accomplish the same in baseball as Pakistan?
                            I'm not sure if Indians would be motivated enough to assemble a team to be in the same tournament as Pakistan for a lot of reasons.

Comment

• SouthwestAmAZins
                              Playertobenamedlater
                              • Apr 2007

Rinku Singh has been selected for the World Team in ABL All-Star Game.
                              Source: http://web.theabl.com.au//news/artic...=.jsp&sid=l595

Comment

• brewcrew82
                                Mod against IL play!
                                • Jan 2000

With a small playing pool the teams are picked on reputation moreso than form.
                                RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X