Thread: The "treasures" from my father's garage...

The "treasures" from my father's garage...

Sorting through some things at my father's house recently, I stumbled on some items that I thought some of the Brooklyn faithful might appreciate. My father, now 82, was born in Brooklyn in 1926 and lived there until he moved away in 1951, when he married my mother, the older sister of a Navy buddy he served with in the South Pacific during World War II.

Let's start out with the cover of a 1951 Harry M. Stevens Brooklyn Dodgers scorecard...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-21-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

The 1950 Brooklyn Dodgers

Here's a 1950 team photo on page 3 of the scorecard...
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Dodger Pilot and his Rivals

Here's Charley Dressen and the opposing managers...
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-21-2008 at 05:51 PM.

The Dodgers farm system, 1951 version

The Brooklyn Dodgers farm system...

The Dodgers 1951 schedule

Here's the 1951 schedule...

Ground rules and managers

Ground rules for Ebbets Field

The game itself, July 20, 1951

The game was played on July 20th of 1951 and I'm happy to report that the Dodgers won, 5-2. At that time my parents were still newlyweds, having been married just over 6 months. I can tell by the handwriting that my mother kept score at the game, something she learned by having 2 athletic brothers. In later years, she'd often be the scorekeeper at little league games that my brother and I participated in. Here's the St. Louis Cardinals portion...
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-21-2008 at 06:25 PM.

The Brooklyn Dodgers portion

The only disappointment for me when I uncovered this scorecard was seeing that Gil Hodges went 0-3 in the game...

A map of Brooklyn

An undated street map of Brooklyn, costing a princely 25 cents

A closeup of the Ebbets Field area

Need directions to the game?

Finally, a 1957 Baseball Handbook and Schedule

Compiled by the International News Service

The "lowdown" on the 1957 Dodgers

Inside we'll find

1956 Major League Leaders

Including Newk and the Duke
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-21-2008 at 06:26 PM.

1935 Spring Training report

From long before my parents met or married, here's a spring training report from 1935 when Casey Stengel was the Brooklyn manager. Unfortunately I don't have the precise date of this newspaper. My mother had clipped it for some church news on the other side of the page...

BTW-Les Munns would only appear in 21 games for the 1935 Dodgers, posting a 1-3 record, with 1 save and a 5.55 ERA. He'd finish his 3 year major league career with the 1936 Cardinals.

Les Munns career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-21-2008 at 08:29 PM.