Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Mets "08-09" Off Season Thread

Blog Entries

Post New York Mets "08-09" Off Season Thread

Talk about needs, potential trades and moves or any other off season Mets news here..

Mets Headlines:

Get the The New York Mets Widget widget and many other great free widgets at Widgetbox!
    "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
    ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

After the season thread is closed, I'll repost it here (a little bit different):
    SP:
    1. Santana
    2. CC
    3. Maine
    4. Pelfrey
    5. Niese OR veteran FA/Trade

LR:
    1. Stokes

MR:
    1. Smith
    2. Kunz OR FA/Trade
    3. Wise OR FA/Trade
    4. lefty FA/Trade

Setup:
    1. Burgos

Closer:
    1. K-Rod

C: Schneider
    1B: Delgado
    2B: Murphy
    3B: Wright
    SS: Reyes
    LF: F-Mart
    CF: Beltran
    RF: Church

Bench:
    C: Castro
    1B/LF: Evans
    2B/IF: A.Reyes
    OF: Pagan
    OF: Chavez

Release or trade everyone else!
    edit: Guys like Cancel, R.Martinez, Tatis, Parnell, Muniz, Knight and Figueroa should be back at AAA for some depth
    Last edited by freshprince85; 09-29-2008 at 08:22 AM.
    sorry for some grammar mistakes

Burgos is out of here after his run in with the law.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Blog Entries
    This may be a crazy question but is it possible that the Mets get either C.C. or KRod AND Mark Texiera?
    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

VERY, VERY unlikely.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Blog Entries
    Besides, we don't really need Texeira right now. No need to spend that money right now.
    Put it in the books.

2009 Mets (Fool proof improvement Plan)

To think that the Mets are going to be able to go out and throw a ton of cash at C.C Sabathia or someone along that line is ridiculous. The one scenario in which the Mets might be able to go out and spend a good amount of money on a player would be K-Rod. That's it. The options out there that are available aren't really all that desirable for the most part anyway. So hopefully this would be the moves I'd attempt to make to improve the Mets for 2009.

SP
    1. Johan Santana
    2. Mike Pelfrey
    3. Derek Lowe FA signing
    4. John Maine
    5. John Neise

LR: Darren Oliver FA signing

MR:
    Joe Smith
    Pedro Feliciano
    Houston Street (maybe in a trade with Oakland for Heilman)
    Brian Stokes
    Jason Isringhausen FA

Closer:
    Francisco Rodriguez

Line Up
    1. Jose Reyes-SS
    2. Carlos Beltran-CF
    3. Carlos Delgado-1B (Roughly $8 million because of the $4 million buyout)
    4. David Wright-3B
    5. Ryan Church-RF
    6. Eric Byrnes-LF (explained Below)
    7.Daniel Murphy-2B ( learning second in the AZ fall league)
    8. Ivan Rodriguez-C FA
    9.Pitcher

Bench
    Jerry Hairston Jr FA
    Endy Chavez
    Fernando Tatis
    Brian Schnieder

Trades:
    Oakland always felt that Heilman could be a useful starter, maybe the Mets can take a gamble on Street who was bad this season in a swap for Heilman who was equally as bad.

Getting Eric Byrnes is do able. He's that fiery competitor the Mets need, and he's right handed. His contract has two years and $22 million remaining on it, if they send Arizona Luis Castillo, who has 3 years and $18 million left, and maybe Nick Evans, this deal could work especially because Arizona is going to lose Orland Hudson.

Free Agents:
    Jerry Hariston Jr can play 2b, and is a reliable bench player. 2yr/3 mil

Ivan Rodriguez would be a solid veteran player to bring in and hit 8th, and provide great defense, and because of his age he could be had relatively cheap. 2yr/13 mil

Darren Oliver is the long man this team has lacked since we had... Darren Oliver. 2 yr/5 mil

It would be great to see Izzy pitching for the Mets again next season. He's coming off injuries but he should be cheap due to that and it definitely worth the gamble. 1yr/4 mil

Derek Lowe wants to pitch on the east coast again, and hes the perfect guy to slot into this rotation and stabilize what still is a relatively young rotation beside Santana. 3yr/36 mil

K-Rod needs no explanation. Getting him is a must even if his season this year was overrated and I think he may be headed toward a bit of a decline with his velocity. He must be a Met next year, even if it is at 5 years $100 million. 5/75 mil

Contracts gone:
    Alou $7.5 million
    Easley $ 950,00
    O. Hernandez $6.5 mil
    P. Martinez $11.5 mil
    O.Perez $6.5
    M. Wise- $1.2 mil

Roughly-$27 million off the books

Added 09 Salary:
    $38 million

Other Notes:

I'd be willing to bring back Pedro. If they could work out a 1 year $7 million dollar deal I think he would be fine to slot into the rotation as the 5 starter, and give Neise a little more time in triple-A.

Fernando Martinez should finally be ready to take over left field after 2010 when Eric Byrnes deal would run out. He would still be only 22.

Also is anyone could figure out a match for the Mets to trade Delgado to, I'd be all for that as well if it really makes sense like the Byrnes and Castillo contracts.

Team Payroll in 09 would rise to around 145 million, which is fine considering how much the damn seats in Citi Field are gonna cost. They could at least put a damn playoff team on the field.
    14 37 41
    Hodges Stengel Seaver
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do, I stare out the window and wait for spring." - Rogers Hornsby

Blog Entries
    Good points but I am against signing Pedro.. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy but 7 million for a #5 starter, and an unreliable one at that, seems too steep for me.. I'd rather take a gamble on paying 8-10 million on Ollie...

I like Izzy and all but would be concerned about a torn tendon in his pitching elbow...

I love the idea of getting Street!

Also on getting Pudge. We still have Schneider and Castro signed thru next season, dont we?

Also isnt Heilman and Church FA's unless we re-sign them? I wouldnt have a problem re-signing Church, but I would have no interest in re-signing Heilman to make a trade..

Maybe I am off on who has a contract next season...
    "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
    ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

Blog Entries
    Those are some good idea's SeaverGooden. The only thing I don't like is tradeing rookie Evens for injury prone Byrnes. I say keep Evens.
    You must pick battles that are small enough to win, but large enough to matter

The rumors are that Peavy will be made available. I'd be for moving F Mart and some others for a starter of his caliber. He is only 27. Then sign a guy like Lowe or Wolf...or keep Pedro for the number 5 spot.

Santana
    Peavy
    Pelfrey
    Maine
    Lowe/Wolf

Then focus on the pen and a righty power bat. Do you guys think K -Rod will hold up for a 5 year deal? His motion seems pretty violent. Maybe they should try to groom Parnell as a closer. He has the stuff. Save the money for Manny (just kidding!!!!). I am not sure about Burns. Wasn't this past season his best year? Love the attitude, but the injuries and "modest" production worry me. If it's Burns, I think I'd just leave Murphy in left. Neither is the power bat and of course Murphy is a lefty. It's one of the reason's I'd move F-Mart, he is another lefty...and I am not sure he will pan out. Trade him while he is valuable.

I'd be up for a deal like Huston Street using Heilman. Heilman needs to get a new start. I also like D. Oliver and would consider Cruz or Chacon for the pen as well.

Padres aren't trading Peavy. Even if they do, they will trade him to a team with a buttload of prospects. They'd want more than what the Indians got for Sabathia. We don't have anyone like Matt LaPorta.

I think we have to get younger and a good way to do that would be to trade castillo, delgado, and beltran. I think they may all have no trade clauses so that would have to be worked out but what do you think? Who would want them? Delgado would have to go to an AL for a DH possibility. Maybe train Murphy to play 1st? Maybe trade Beltran to the Sox and get Elsbury back?

Blog Entries
    Okay, two things...

1) No thread-spamming.
    2) You'd have to be insane to trade Beltran for Ellsbury.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
    Okay, two things...

1) No thread-spamming.
    2) You'd have to be insane to trade Beltran for Ellsbury.
    That would just be one part of the trade. Maybe a young starter like Masterson and Crisp to play CF? Just a thought. Beltran is there best trading chip and I don't see him getting muc better than he is currently, so try and get something for him now from a team that he would be willing to go to and would be able to afford him.

Oh yeah and if we did that trade we would have to get a power bat like Tex

Quote Originally Posted by PA_Mets_Fan View Post
    That would just be one part of the trade. Maybe a young starter like Masterson and Crisp to play CF? Just a thought. Beltran is there best trading chip and I don't see him getting muc better than he is currently, so try and get something for him now from a team that he would be willing to go to and would be able to afford him.
    Why would the Red Sox trade Masterson and Crisp for Beltran? They don't need Beltran.

Beltran may not get much better but he's the best CF in the NL and arguably he majors as well (Sizemore is his competition). He's not the best trading chip b/c of his contract.

Blog Entries
    Their best trading chips are Murphy, Niese, and Parnell, none of whom I see going anywhere. I could see a sign and trade with Delgado, I guess, but that leaves a gaping hole at first base (a power position) and would kinda force us to ignore the huge problems with our bullpen (save for maybe one reliever we get in the theoretical trade) due to having to overpay to the point of lunacy for Teixeira. Beltran isn't going anywhere because of his contract.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Mets Pickup Delgado option

Not very suprising but today the mets picked up Delgados $12M option for 09.What they do with him we will see. put i expect to see him in a Mets uni next year.

http://www.metsblog.com/2008/10/31/n...tion-for-2009/

ALSO, they signed Tatis to a one year deal.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releas...tnerId=rss_nym

Blog Entries
    Pretty quiet in these parts lately...

Nothing happens until the GM meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by PA_Mets_Fan View Post
    Maybe trade Beltran to the Sox and get Elsbury back?
    Beltran is nice, but you're not going to get much by offering the Boston Red Sox a center fielder. We already have two. Besides I don't think that's a good deal for the Mets anyway. You're not going to get fair value for what Beltran really means to your team on the trade market right now.

Looks like Holliday is going to the A's...Street is involved.

Blog Entries
    And rumor has it that Street *MIGHT* be swung to another team. Makes sense...the Rockies already have two closer candidates in Manny Corpas and Taylor Buchholz.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
    And rumor has it that Street *MIGHT* be swung to another team.
    Could be an omen JW. My son's 2nd grade teachers name is Mrs Streett (she adds the extra t at the end).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast