Thread: Godfrey to step down

Godfrey to step down

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=tor

Never was a fan of Godfrey and I think this is a step in the right direction, never liked his arrogance and while JP takes alot of flak around here for losing, Paul's been around since 2000 and has accomplished what?, although president doesn't have as much say as the GM here as far as transactions go.

The seat must be getting warm underneath JP now. Godfrey had defended Riccardi everywhere during his tenure and now that a new president will be aboard, maybe he'll make a move, although Godfrey doesn't officially step down under Dec. 31st, probably making it too late to replace JP.

Seat getting warmer under Riccardi? It should have been douced with gas and lit on fire by now

I'm not going to completely drop the hammer on the guy. He really didn't have too much to do with the construction of the team, which is really the complaint I have about the Jays. All he can do is maybe give the "ok" on some big moves. I really think he was hired to maybe the Jays as a business thrive and keep the team in Toronto, and he did that. Watching the Expos leave Canada sent alarms off for Canadian baseball fans and with Toronto not really experiencing a boom at that point in time, he at least kept us afloat and the team still remains today. He helped get us a bigger salary to play with (though someone else seems to have wasted it...) and despite the frustration that we always seem to show for not making the playoffs, we still have a decent amount of butts in those seats.

Overall, not the greatest success because every team should be striving for the World Series, but it definitely wasn't that bad of a reign.

Quote Originally Posted by babaganoosh View Post
    I'm not going to completely drop the hammer on the guy. He really didn't have too much to do with the construction of the team, which is really the complaint I have about the Jays. All he can do is maybe give the "ok" on some big moves. I really think he was hired to maybe the Jays as a business thrive and keep the team in Toronto, and he did that. Watching the Expos leave Canada sent alarms off for Canadian baseball fans and with Toronto not really experiencing a boom at that point in time, he at least kept us afloat and the team still remains today. He helped get us a bigger salary to play with (though someone else seems to have wasted it...) and despite the frustration that we always seem to show for not making the playoffs, we still have a decent amount of butts in those seats.

Overall, not the greatest success because every team should be striving for the World Series, but it definitely wasn't that bad of a reign.
    Southern Ontario is one of the fastest growing regions in North America. When I lived up there in the 80s people were writing off TO for dead. Gillick was winning titles when the dollar was 80 cents to the US dollar.

Its been a huge boom the last few years but its not translating to fans in the stands because of the on-field performance.

Quote Originally Posted by aqib View Post
    Southern Ontario is one of the fastest growing regions in North America. When I lived up there in the 80s people were writing off TO for dead. Gillick was winning titles when the dollar was 80 cents to the US dollar.

Its been a huge boom the last few years but its not translating to fans in the stands because of the on-field performance.
    Godfrey took over in 2000, with the attendence at 1.8 million. League average AL average was 2.2 million. Fast forward 8 years, we're at 2.4 million, and the AL average at 2.5 million. Under Godfrey we've pulled much closer to the average than when he took over already.

Quote Originally Posted by babaganoosh View Post
    Godfrey took over in 2000, with the attendence at 1.8 million. League average AL average was 2.2 million. Fast forward 8 years, we're at 2.4 million, and the AL average at 2.5 million. Under Godfrey we've pulled much closer to the average than when he took over already.
    Don't get me wrong I was picked on Riccardi. He is much better than Sam Pollock and whichever one it was who threatened to move back to Exhibition Stadium back in 98/99 when the lease expired.

I have an issue with one man and that is Riccardi.

Quote Originally Posted by aqib View Post

I have an issue with one man and that is Riccardi.
    You've got company there! The team is never going to win because JP doesn't know how to put together a team. He was only hired because they couldn't pry Billy Bean out of Oakland to run the Jays on the cheapóBean recommended his buddy JP for the job. Thanks a pant load for that one, Billy.

Anyway, the Jays did the unthinkable this year by bringing back Cito. Pat Gillick's contract with Philly ends right after the Phils win the World Series (), maybe they'll bring him back next year (). Probably not, but in any case, the team is not going to get into the post season as long as they let JP put the team together.

Looking backward to the old dynasty eh? That can give you a short-term boost but don't start bringing back Carlos Delgado and Orlando Hudson too because going back to the old days just isn't going to work here.

The Jays are never going to amount to much unless they draft better and develop their prospects much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    Looking backward to the old dynasty eh? That can give you a short-term boost but don't start bringing back Carlos Delgado and Orlando Hudson too because going back to the old days just isn't going to work here.
    Even bringing back Robbie Alomar and Tony Fernandez would help this teams offense.