Thread: anything?

Question anything?

How about you guys from the Atlanta area. Any rumors floating around since the end of the season about who will be back? traded? released?, etc.
    Don't hear much up here in Iowa. Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by 41-44-VB View Post
    How about you guys from the Atlanta area. Any rumors floating around since the end of the season about who will be back? traded? released?, etc.
    Don't hear much up here in Iowa. Thanx
    Nothing really just the usual rumors with no real information.

Here is a list of pitchers that have been mentioned by some Braves' writers and other Baseball writers.

Derek Lowe
    Matt Cain (though it seems unlikely to happen with out giving up a huge bounty)
    Roy Oswalt (again unlikely without a big return)
    Ryan Dempster
    Brad Penny
    A.J. Burnett (Buster Olney reports the Braves have been keeping a close eye on him)
    Resigning Hampton, Glavine and Smoltz

The other pitching options discussed by some have been the possibility that the Braves may target a Japanese free agent. This was brought on by the trip of Frank Wren to Japan during the season. Veteran Japanese pitchers like Koji Uehara or Kenshin Kawakami are consdered the top options, though the Braves have also been connected to young amatuer pitcher Junichi Tazawa but MLB and NPB (Nippon Professional Baseball) may have to work something out before any MLB team can sign him.

Their are some other minor names but nothing that really sticks out.

It also appears the Braves other top position of need is LF.

Pat Burrell
    Adam Dunn
    Raul Ibanez
    Juan Rivera

Those players are all free agents and from everything I have seen so far the Braves have not been connected to any OFer in a possible trade except for some speculation that they may be interested in Josh Willingham or one of Florida's pitchers if they decide to start unloading some payroll with 17 players eligible for arbitration.

That is everything I can think of, I am hoping someone else can add some new information.
    Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 10-04-2008 at 03:35 PM.
    Extend Prado!!!

Pitching is priority #1 and a LF will acquired sometime after that. This is the first offseason in a long while that the Braves have money to spend. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Brien
    Alabama son Peavy to pitch for Braves? It’s possible

By David O'Brien | Monday, October 6, 2008, 06:28 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

He’s 27 years old, was a unanimous winner of the 2007 NL Cy Young Award, has averaged 192 innings and 194 strikeouts in six full seasons in the majors, and is under contract through 2011.

I don’t know, but it seems like the only way Jake Peavy could be a more perfect fit for the pitching-hungry Braves would be if he were a native Southerner.

What’s that? He was born in, raised in, and still lives in Alabama?

Well, hell, then what’s the holdup? Get that boy in a Braves uni, stat.

OK, so it’s not going to be that easy. But for all the denizens out there who believe your Braves don’t have a chance of prying Peavy out of San Diego and bringing home this native son — hey, he’s practically that — to pitch in Atlanta, well, don’t be so quick to dimiss the notion.

The Braves are holding organizational meetings this week at Dark Star (aka Lake Buena Vista, Fla.) and you can bet that Peavy’s name is going to be discussed, as in, how serious are the Padres about the possibility of trading him, and what will they want in return?

For a team that’s publicly stated it will use its assets however necessary to fill its primary needs — two starting pitchers and an outfielder with some power — rest assured the Braves will talk about how much of those assets, how many young players and/or prospects, it would take to get Peavy from the Padres.

What do you think, is that something most of you would get behind? I’m guessing most of you would.

Peavy will make $11 million in 2009, $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012. There’s also a big ol’ $22-million team option for 2013, with a $4 million buyout.

For a Braves team with more than $40 mill, perhaps more than $45 mill, to spend on additions for 2009, Peavy’s backloaded contract would work well because it would also allow them to sign or trade for another starting pitcher and outfielder, and bring back whichever ones they can or want to from the pitching group of Mike Hampton and the two still-not-sure-if-they-can-pitch-agains, John Smoltz and Tom Glavine.

The notion of getting an in-his-prime ace like Peavy, who’s averaged 13 wins over six full seasons with mostly mediocre San Diego teams, a guy who posted sub 2.90 ERA in four of the past five seasons, became a legitimate possibility after Padres GM Kevin Towers said last week that no one was untouchable, not even Peavy.

That’s because the Padres have ever-present payroll restrictions and are coming off a wholly disappointing 99-loss season, and Towers said they want to get younger.

Peavy’s plenty young, and they’d much prefer to keep their all-time strikeout leader, but if a team approaches towers with an offer for Peavy that includes several young, inexpensive, potential impact players, he’ll listen.

The Braves have a couple of potential big advantages over, say, the big-market teams in New York. For one, they have more quality pitching depth in their minor league system that they might be willing to part with (GM Frank Wren said last week that the Braves might be able to make a trade using some of that pitching, without trading top prospect Tommy Hanson).

Secondly, and this is a potential deal-maker or breaker: It’s quite possible that Peavy might not approve a trade to a New York team. Folks, the dude plays baseball in San Diego and yet chooses to make his residence in Semmes, Ala.

The season ends and he leaves sun-kissed SoCal to winter with the wife and kids in ‘Bama. So, you think this country boy just might be more inclined to approve a trade to the team he grew up loving, the Braves, than, say, the Yankees?

I’m thinking that’s a good bet.

The Braves lost their ace, Tim Hudson, when the Alabama native and former Auburn standout had Tommy John surgery that will likely sideline Hudson for all but the last month of the 2009 season, and possibly the entire season.

That made it imperative that the Braves this winter find a replacement No. 1 starter to replace Hudson, whose four-year, $47 million contract extension runs through 2009 (there’s a $12 mill option for 2010, with a $1 mill buyout).

Now comes the tantalizing possibility of Peavy, who, by the way, was set to pitch for Auburn before he signed with the Padres out of high school (St. Paul’s Episcopal) in 1999. He was a modest 10-11 in 27 starts this season, but that record is more indicative of the Padres’ anemic run support than anything else.

Peavy had an outstanding 2.85 ERA and a solid 1.180 WHIP (walks-plus-hits per inning pitched) that was right at his career mark. He received just under 3.7 support runs per nine innings pitched, a woeful figure that included eight starts in which the Padres scored one or no runs while he was in the games.

If Peavy is indeed available, the Braves should make a serious attempt to get him, provided they’re comfortable with his health.

When I asked someone in the organization, the response was anything but dismissive of the possibility of making a run at Peavy, if the Padres would deal him.

While they don’t want to mortgage the future by trading away top prospects such as Jason Heyward, Freddie Freeman, Jordan Schafer and Hanson, the Braves have plenty of other prospects, especially pitchers, who might interest Towers enough to make a deal.

They don’t want to give up a pitcher such as Hanson or Kris Medlen, or an outfielder such as Gorkys Hernandez or Schafer, but perhaps the Braves would bite the bullet if that’s what it took to get Peavy, who’s no ordinary ace. Maybe — and I’m just throwing out ideas here — the Padres would be interested in Kelly Johnson, since they’re not certain about their second base position next season and like good OBP guys who can drive balls to the gaps.

(If I’m the Braves, I wouldn’t want to give up Johnson unless absolutely necessary. I really do think he can be one of the best hitting second basemen in baseball next season, and that there’s a good chance he’ll become less streaky.)

If they move a Johnson or another young player off the current team, then the Braves would have another need to fill. But again, Peavy is a special talent. A serious ace. He is one of the eight or 10 bonafide, true “No. 1” pitchers in baseball, a pitcher you hand the ball to and expect to win every time.

He’s got nasty stuff and a hard-nosed demeanor and work ethic. The whole package, if you ask folks who should know, including Don Sutton.

The drawback, or potential red flag: Elbow.

He had an elbow scare in May that sidelined him four weeks, but an MRI showed no ligament damage and Peavy bounced back from that to record 13 quality starts in his last 18 games.

In seven of his 13 starts after July 4, he allowed one or no runs in seven or more innings, including an Aug. 31 start against Colorado in which he threw eight scoreless innings of five-hit ball with 13 strikeouts and two walks.

He only made two starts in September, missing some time to witness the birth of his third child. The Padres were cautious bringing him back from that slowly, since they were out of postseason contention and because of the earlier elbow problems.

Peavy also missed six weeks for a strained flexor tendon in that forearm/elbow in 2004, when he went 15-6 with a 2.27 ERA in 27 starts with 177 strikeouts in 163-1/3 innings.

In each of the next three seasons, he recorded over 200 innings and at least 215 strikeouts, including 223-1/3 innings with a league-high 240 strikeouts in 2007, when he finished 19-6 with a 2.54 ERA and won the Cy Young Award.

I went back to early in the 2006 season to find where Peavy really struggled for any significant period. Then I checked his stats since then, to compare him with some other of the game’s elite aces.

Beginning with July 26, 2006, Jake Peavy is 36-20 with a 2.63 ERA, with a .215 opponents’ average, 490 strikeouts and 154 walks in 474-1/3 innings.

In that same period, Brandon Webb is 44-22 with a 3.36 ERA, with a .239 opponents’ average, 436 strikeouts and 160 walks in 535-2/3 innings.

In that same period, Johan Santana is 38-21 with a 2.82 ERA, with a .224 opponents’ average, 528 strikeouts and 134 walks in 536 innings.

In that same period, CC Sabathia is 41-22 with a 2.91 ERA, with a .247 opponents’ average, 540 strikeouts and 113 walks in 585-1/3 innings.

CC is an absolute horse, a pitcher any team would love at the top of its rotation. But speculation is that his stretch-drive performance with the Brewers could net him a free-agent contract worth at least $100 million over the next five years, and perhaps $150 mill over the next seven years.

Peavy is owed $59 million over the next four seasons, and $63 million when the buyout of his 2012 salary is included. He’s not as durable as those four listed above, and there is some concern that his pitching mechanics will lead to more serious elbow problems.

But if the Braves want a seriously dominant ace, at a relatively affordable price, they’d best kick the tires of the Southern boy. If the Padres are seriously considering trading him, then the Braves should seriously consider making it happen. Look over his recent MRI with a fine-tooth comb. Three times.

Then, if it comes to that, if a trade can be worked out, have him undergo another MRI with Braves doctors. Have James Andrews look that baby over (Doc Andrews should be giving the Braves a bulk discount this year anyway, right?)

The answer to the Braves’ biggest pitching problem could come from not far away. A serious, dominating, intimidating ace - and from just up the road.
    Thought this deserved a post since it adds another player to the list of pitchers the Braves may target. So what would you guys give up to acquire Mr. Peavy?

My offer would be similar to the Dan Haren trade from last year.

Yunel Escobar, Tyler Flowers, John Mark Owings, Todd Redmond, Ryne Reynoso and Jo-Jo Reyes for Jake Peavy

If needed I would add another player of less quality or upgrade one of the pitchers to a possible better option.
    Extend Prado!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    Thought this deserved a post since it adds another player to the list of pitchers the Braves may target. So what would you guys give up to acquire Mr. Peavy?

Yunel Escobar, Tyler Flowers, John Mark Owings, Todd Redmond, Ryne Reynoso and Jo-Jo Reyes for Jake Peavy

If needed I would add another player of less quality or upgrade one of the pitchers to a possible better option.
    first off, loved the article and FINALLY some trade news. I agree with alot of what he said, and probably what you are thinking purebaseballfan. I totally okay with throwing reyes in there, cause his "potential" probably still makes him worth something. I definitely don't wanna give up any of the prospects that dave mentioned to get him.

Only question I have is if you trade esobar who plays SS? I don't think brent is quite ready yet. Could prado move to SS? Is it better to trade KJ or prado? ( i have changed my mind that I would rather keep KJ than escobar if we have to lose one, because of KJ's hot streak and escobar's injury)

also, just to add from the braves website:

xavier nady (don't see him not resigning with the yanks)
    bobby abreu (don't know if I want him)
    jason bay(def. gonna sign with the soxs the way he has been playing)

Quote Originally Posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    first off, loved the article and FINALLY some trade news. I agree with alot of what he said, and probably what you are thinking purebaseballfan. I totally okay with throwing reyes in there, cause his "potential" probably still makes him worth something. I definitely don't wanna give up any of the prospects that dave mentioned to get him.

Only question I have is if you trade esobar who plays SS? I don't think brent is quite ready yet. Could prado move to SS? Is it better to trade KJ or prado? ( i have changed my mind that I would rather keep KJ than escobar if we have to lose one, because of KJ's hot streak and escobar's injury)
    Well originally I was going to write a little paragraph for each player in the deal which gave a few reasons why Yunel over Kelly.

Personally I would rather trade Kelly only because as of right now their are better replacement options in the system but their are reasons that I don't think the Padres would want Kelly over Yunel. Though I do agree with O'Brien in that Kelly could be turning the corner after a strong second half. (I would rather not trade either but then the Braves would likely have to include a Heyward or Freeman in the deal and that just isn't going to happen I feel)

While Dave O'Brien thinks Kelly would be perhaps the best Major League option for the Padres their are a few reasons I disagree.

For one Matt Antonelli is seen by some as one of the Padres' better prospects and could easily be seen as the possible future at the position. Khalil Greene's contract is up after next season and will cost them $6.5 Million and for a team that wants to get younger and cheaper Khalil is likely not a very good future option. Yunel in my opinion would be the top option for the Padres considering he will be 26 at the beginning of next season, is under team control for 5 more years and the fact the Padres don't seem to have someone to replace Khalil Greene.

Now Khalil Greene could be included into the deal but one of the players on the Braves side would likely have to be upgraded or one more minor player added, though the player talent may have to go up a little without Greene.

Brent could replace Yunel as at worst the Braves may get around Khalil's numbers at near minimum. Prado and Omar can play SS but neither are a true SS. I have been a big supporter of Brent since he was included in the Mike Gonzalez trade but it is clear his swing is to long, I think if the Braves can get him to cut down on his swing his Ks will go down and his BA will go up. Next year will be a big year for Brandon Hicks as he will likely go to Double-A if he can keep his power numbers up, increase his BA a little more (hopefully up to around .250 - .260) and cut down on his Ks, he could be seen as the future at SS for the Braves.

Overall while losing Yunel without a good replacement could be a problem but adding a pitcher like Peavy is more then worth it, an Ace that can matchup with Hamels and Santana in our division is more valuable in my opinion then having Yunel and a Derek Lowe type.

bobby abreu (don't know if I want him)
    The Nady idea would be a trade and I just don't see that happening.

I am a fan of adding Abreu as he adds some decent power and a good BA, his defense was pretty poor last year and he would likely have to move to LF but if he is willing to do that then why not.
    Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 10-07-2008 at 08:42 AM.
    Extend Prado!!!

Overall while losing Yunel without a good replacement could be a problem but adding a pitcher like Peavy is more then worth it, an Ace that can matchup with Hamels and Santana in our division is more valuable in my opinion then having Yunel and a Derek Lowe type.
    isn't the braves offense gonna to be hurting as it is? Even if frenchy bounces back,the braves don't have much OF production and we don't know what we are gonna get from a full season with kotch. That's why I was leaning toward KJ being traded (although i would rather keep him vs. escobar), because I thought the braves could replace KJ easier.

Also,I went back and looked at abreu's numbers and compared him to our ideal OF pickup (ibanez). The numbers aren't much different, a little more power and rbi's for ibanez,despite being older. Also, is he going to take a major price cut to play for the braves? Last season 15 mil, and ibanez was 5.5

isn't the braves offense gonna to be hurting as it is? Even if frenchy bounces back,the braves don't have much OF production and we don't know what we are gonna get from a full season with kotch. That's why I was leaning toward KJ being traded (although i would rather keep him vs. escobar), because I thought the braves could replace KJ easier.

Also,I went back and looked at abreu's numbers and compared him to our ideal OF pickup (ibanez). The numbers aren't much different, a little more power and rbi's for ibanez,despite being older. Also, is he going to take a major price cut to play for the braves? Last season 15 mil, and ibanez was 5.5
    Well it isn't likely to be the only move to be made. An addition of an Abreu or Ibanez will move LF up the lineup while SS goes down. Overall the offense will fall because of the Braves not having Tex for even half a season but an addition in LF and I do believe Kotchman will be fine doing much better then his post trade stats.

Abreu may cost more but both may be looking for a three year deals and with the interest in Ibanez both may be getting close to the same amount. I think both will get a contract around the $13 - 16 Million range so for me money isn't the main concern when it comes to both of these players.
    Extend Prado!!!

If something was to be done I think the Padres would look at the Dan Haren trade. I like what you have proposed. A couple of major leaguers mixed in with mid-low level prospects.

The Nady idea would be a trade and I just don't see that happening.

I am a fan of adding Abreu as he adds some decent power and a good BA, his defense was pretty poor last year and he would likely have to move to LF but if he is willing to do that then why not.
    A power bat is a need. I have a hard time seeing the Yankees trading Nady. Not to mention he's a Boras client. Abreu still hits for 20 HRs and has always had a consistent batting average. Also, Abreu is used to playing in the NL East. The idea of having Abreu-Chipper-McCann as 3-4-5 sounds good.

The Padres filed a grievance against shortstop Khalil Greene, seeking to recover about one-third of his $4.5 million salary after he missed the final two months of the season with a broken hand. Greene punched a storage cabinet, causing the break. Padres CEO Sandy Alderson told the San Diego Union-Tribune that while the team was seeking payment for missed time, the motive behind the grievance was not just about money. "In a specific sense, it's about recovering payment for services not rendered based on contract language that legally supports our position," Alderson told the Union-Tribune. "In the larger sense, it's about deterring this kind of conduct in the future because the consequences can be critical to a team." (mlb.com)

not sure how or if this has an impact on green being in the padres future, but maybe it makes the escobar, etc... for peavy more likely

The Padres filed a grievance against shortstop Khalil Greene, seeking to recover about one-third of his $4.5 million salary after he missed the final two months of the season with a broken hand. Greene punched a storage cabinet, causing the break. Padres CEO Sandy Alderson told the San Diego Union-Tribune that while the team was seeking payment for missed time, the motive behind the grievance was not just about money. "In a specific sense, it's about recovering payment for services not rendered based on contract language that legally supports our position," Alderson told the Union-Tribune. "In the larger sense, it's about deterring this kind of conduct in the future because the consequences can be critical to a team." (mlb.com)

not sure how or if this has an impact on green being in the padres future, but maybe it makes the escobar, etc... for peavy more likely
    Its been downhill for Greene since his second season. I think the Padres expected alot more from him in the clubhouse and on the field, but it just didn't work out that way. As soon as they can part ways with him, they will. I think it does entice the Padres to look for a SS elsewhere.