Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Jake Peavy/Offseason Thread

Did Hudson get into it with O'Brien?????

"Pitcher Tim Hudson got into a heated argument in the clubhouse with a newspaper reporter, claiming his story angered Griffey and led him to back out of dealings with the Braves. A team official had to step in and lead Hudson to a back room."
    My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

According to the AJC.com the Braves have signed Garrett Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Brien
    Braves sign Garret Anderson to one-year deal

By DAVID O'BRIEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. — The Braves have finally added a veteran bat to their outfield, left-handed slugger Garret Anderson.

The team finalized a one-year contract worth about $2.5 million with the free agent on Sunday, according to a person familiar with negotiations. An announcement is expected to come Monday, and Anderson was en route to Florida to join the Braves at spring training.

Anderson, 36, has a .296 career average and 272 home runs in 15 seasons in the majors, all with the Los Angeles Angels of the American League. He was with that team so long, he played for it when it was known as the California Angels and later the Anaheim Angels, before the L.A. name change.

The Braves have been looking for a clean-up hitter, and Anderson has batted in that spot more than any other spot during his career, both as a designated hitter and an outfielder.

The left-handed slugger and three-time former All-Star is expected to play left field for the Braves and perhaps work in a platoon with Matt Diaz — the role the Braves planned for Ken Griffey Jr., before Griffey decided Wednesday to sign with Seattle instead of Atlanta.

Anderson hit .293 with 15 home runs, 84 RBIs and a .325 on-base percentage last season, including 14 home runs in 433 at-bats against right-handed pitchers.

For comparison, Griffey hit .249 with 18 homers and 71 RBIs last season, including .272 with 14 homers in 327 at-bats against right-handers.

Soon after Griffey announced his decision, the Braves moved on to Anderson, despite stating publicly that they would take a look at their organization’s young outfielders and not immediately pursue another free agent or a trade for a veteran.

He doesn’t draw many walks, but Anderson has had a penchant for big hits in recent years. Last season, he hit .338 in 130 at-bats with runners in scoring position, including .356 with two outs. In the late innings of close games, he hit .371 with a .441 OBP in 89 at-bats.

He’s split time between DH and the outfield in the latter years of his career, and at this stage he’s not an exceptional defensive player. However, he’s probably as good or better defensively than most other veteran free agents who were available earlier, including the injury-plagued Griffey.

Anderson’s lefty-righty splits don’t have as significant a disparity as Griffey, whose average against lefties slipped dramatically in recent seasons while he continued to thrive against right-handers.

Last season, Anderson hit .293 and slugged .450 with 39 extra-base hits against right-handers. He hit .290 and slugged .371 with six extra-base hits (one homer) in 124 at-bats against lefties.

For his career, he’s hit .299 with a .334 OBP and .441 slugging percentage against right-handers, and .291 with a .311 OBP and .441 slugging percentage against lefties.
    He isn't going to win any Gold Gloves but he does bring a solid bat with decent power. I know a lot of stat people don't like Anderson because of his low OBP but for me I would much rather have his poor OBP and power numbers then Blanco's high OBP and no power.

Bowman is confirming the signing also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bowman
    Anderson is coming to Braves camp

A Major League source has confirmed that Garret Anderson has agreed to a one-year contract with the Braves. The veteran outfielder is expected to arrive in Florida to undergo a physical within the next two days and an official announcement could come on Tuesday.

While Anderson doesn't possess the power that he did earlier in his career, he certainly provides the more power potential than Brandon Jones, who might have platooned with Matt Diaz in left if the Braves hadn't gained the veteran outfielder that they've been seeking.

As opposed to their plans for Ken Griffey Jr., Anderson might not necessarily be used in a platoon role in left field. He hit .293 with a .774 OPS against right-handed pitchers last year and .290 with a .704 OPS against left-handers.

During his career, Anderson has hit .299 with a .481 slugging percentage against right-handers and .291 with a .441 slugging percentage against left-handers.

- Mark Bowman
    Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 02-22-2009 at 01:43 PM.
    Extend Prado!!!

I like Anderson as a stop-gap; it would give Brandon Jones some time to get his confidence back up in Gwinnett. After last year's letdown, he needs a better year.

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    I like Anderson as a stop-gap; it would give Brandon Jones some time to get his confidence back up in Gwinnett. After last year's letdown, he needs a better year.
    Yeah, it's good move. I hope GA can give us 145+ games and similar production to last season. Judging by his production in interleague, he shouldn't have a problem moving over to the NL.

In 185 career interleague games:

.307/36/122
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
    Yeah, it's good move. I hope GA can give us 145+ games and similar production to last season. Judging by his production in interleague, he shouldn't have a problem moving over to the NL.

In 185 career interleague games:

.307/36/122
    I do like the signing, but I'm more cocerned about his durability and if whether or not Matt Diaz is giong to be a platoon partner with him. I think that should happen from the outset.

Some minor news about the rotation for spring training.

The improtant thing out of this is that Campillo and Hanson will pitch Thursday, so if you guys haven't seen Hanson yet you can catch him on ESPN at 1:05.
    Extend Prado!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    I know a lot of stat people don't like Anderson because of his low OBP but for me I would much rather have his poor OBP and power numbers then Blanco's high OBP and no power.
    Agreed, 100%

He'll be a nice platoon partner for Matt.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"It is not easy to be near your best every single day. Some would even say it’s impossible. We’re all just human beings. But it’s not impossible. Henry Aaron did it." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Los Bravos View Post
    Agreed, 100%

He'll be a nice platoon partner for Matt.
    So the platoon is still happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Innings View Post
    So the platoon is still happening?
    yea, i was wondering that. Anderson said he thinks he can play 120 or 130 games. Would he be expecting of being in a platoon?

Quote Originally Posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    yea, i was wondering that. Anderson said he thinks he can play 120 or 130 games. Would he be expecting of being in a platoon?
    I doubt that it will be a straight platoon, Diaz may get some starts against lefties but don't think it would be automatic that Diaz would play against all lefties.
    Extend Prado!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    I doubt that it will be a straight platoon, Diaz may get some starts against lefties but don't think it would be automatic that Diaz would play against all lefties.
    that's fine with me as long as GA is producing. I was surprised diaz wasn't non-tendered. I hope schafer wins the CF job and frenchy bounces back. Then I guess b.jones to AAA and blanco goes through waivers.

Is anyone else surprised that Will Ohman hasn't signed with a team yet? I guess teams are rounding out their rosters to find a spot.

Is anyone else surprised that Will Ohman hasn't signed with a team yet? I guess teams are rounding out their rosters to find a spot.
    i know. i wonder why in this economy he never took the braves offer. I am pretty sure it was the highest one it has received (and most likely will). Especially, since he claimed to like the braves so much. i still think we might regret not signing him, but hopefully logan or reyes? will prove me wrong.

i know. i wonder why in this economy he never took the braves offer. I am pretty sure it was the highest one it has received (and most likely will). Especially, since he claimed to like the braves so much. i still think we might regret not signing him, but hopefully logan or reyes? will prove me wrong.
    Here is another Ohman update. I decided to keep it in this thread rather than the ST thread.

The Dodgers are offering him $1M, half of his asking price. Now, if he's asking for $2M he'll more than likely counter and if the Dodgers can manage it then they will bring him in.

Here is another Ohman update. I decided to keep it in this thread rather than the ST thread.

The Dodgers are offering him $1M, half of his asking price. Now, if he's asking for $2M he'll more than likely counter and if the Dodgers can manage it then they will bring him in.
    apparently it's a minor league deal! i cannot believe he didn't take the braves offer. I think in the end they would both have needed each other.

apparently it's a minor league deal! i cannot believe he didn't take the braves offer. I think in the end they would both have needed each other.
    I don't blame him for testing the market. Obviously holding out has hurt him rather than helped him. He's coming in at the end of camp right before the season begins, so he'll be rusty. I thought this was interesting.

"Ohman can also opt out of the deal if he's not called up by April 14th."

He may be available yet again......

yea..You cant blame the guy for testing the market. I sure wish he had taken the Braves offer. Im not sure if that would have changed our approach to anything or altered any of our offseason signings (in that case good riddance) but it would have been nice to have him. He was definately good at what he did.

I don't blame him for testing the market. Obviously holding out has hurt him rather than helped him. He's coming in at the end of camp right before the season begins, so he'll be rusty. I thought this was interesting.

"Ohman can also opt out of the deal if he's not called up by April 14th."

He may be available yet again......
    maybe the braves will have a need by then... i am not sold on o'flagherty and logan's consistencies.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617