Thread: Polo Grounds [II] (1889-1890) <later known as Manhattan Field>

Polo Grounds [II] (1889-1890) <later known as Manhattan Field>

The wooden Polo Grounds next door to the ballpark of its former namesake renamed Manhattan Field.

Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 10:22 AM.

I forgot to ask; does anybody have any good old photos of Manhattan Field, which was next to the PG? I was wanting to get some good shots of the double-decked grandstands that once stood there.

From 1889

Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    From 1889

Isn't that the PG that would later become Manhattan Field? I want to say that it is.
    Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Speaking of Manhattan Field... Found these on some college football site. The last diagram of MF and the PG is pretty cool.

Last edited by Pelt; 07-08-2008 at 09:15 AM.

Another Manhattan Field drawing - 1895. The Polo Grounds are visible between MF and the bluff.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
    Isn't that the PG that would later become Manhattan Field? I want to say that it is.
    So much irony associated with the NY Yankees!

By next year they will have occupied their third venue as the Yankees with an elevated train line just beyond the outfield, the first two having had not only train lines but the Bronx County Courthouse as a dominant feature in the background. Weird!!

Starting next year fans will begin decades of seeing a white high-rise condo/apt rising in the distance over center field.

Unrelated - the Mets' "NY" with sunken Y for York looks like an homage to the NY of the old Giants! At least according to some of the end-row seats in this PG thread.

Manhattan Field (formerly known as Polo Grounds [II]) from 1901.
    ENLARGE

After the Giants moved into Polo Grounds III across the street in 1891, Manhattan field was used for other sports including horse/harness racing.

Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012 at 10:21 AM.

It was also used for track and field events.

Love Manhattan Field. I wish there were more good baseball pics of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some cool renderings of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What bridge is that in the background? If I'm not mistaken (which I often am), isn't that the general area of where the George Washington Bridge is?

Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT
    I think that might be the High Bridge before it was renovated in the early 1900s. That is what it looked like, and the High Bridge Tower is right there.

These are terrific photos of Manhattan Field - I've always had an interest in it, considering it was basically forgotten due to being completely overshadowed by its neighbor. It was quite an interesting ballpark in its time, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees12 View Post
    I think that might be the High Bridge before it was renovated in the early 1900s. That is what it looked like, and the High Bridge Tower is right there.

These are terrific photos of Manhattan Field - I've always had an interest in it, considering it was basically forgotten due to being completely overshadowed by its neighbor. It was quite an interesting ballpark in its time, though.
    Good work, my friend. According to Wiki, the High Bridge had the appearance of a Roman aqueduct; but, in the 1920s, a steel arch about 450 feet was added to replace the several masonry arches that spanned the river. The bridge was started in 1837, and completed in 1848. It has a length of well over 2,000 feet. The eastern end is located in The Bronx near the western end of West 170th Street, and the western end is located in Highbridge Park in Manhattan, roughly parallel to the end of West 173rd Street.

Quote Originally Posted by locke40 View Post
    What bridge is that in the background? If I'm not mistaken (which I often am), isn't that the general area of where the George Washington Bridge is?

No, the GWB is over the Hudson River.

I HATE those multipurpose stadiums!!!

Quote Originally Posted by metfan13 View Post
    No, the GWB is over the Hudson River.
    Yes, that is correct. The GWB connects New Jersey with New York. I used to live in NJ, and now I live in NY, so I definitely should have known that.

Part the structure with arcs in it is still there:

You can see when driving on the FDR or Deegan.

Renovation, 1891, looks like Manhattan Field (PG II).

Football at Manhattan Field, 1890's. Also posted to Football configuration thread, but posted here for historical interest.

Larger size

http://nycma.lunaimaging.com/luna/se...q=polo+grounds
    Last edited by alpineinc; 05-10-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Sales listing description:

Description: 1889 New York Giants Championship Testimonial program. Rare original program for the October 28, 1889 "Grand Testimonial Concert and Presentation of Pennant" held in honor of the National League Champion New York Giants. Interior lists League wide season statistics and has vignette images of Giants players including Ewing, Keefe, Welsh, Connor, Ward, O'Rourke, and Manager Mutrie. Heavy stock front and back covers display light toning with all titling and gilt coloration intact. Wear at corners/edges is minimal. String binding has come loose (original string remains present) with several of the holes through which it would pass torn to the edge on interior, only (1) cover hole affected. Interior pages are generally clean with light consistent toning. Panoramic style fold out season win/loss chart (EX/MT-NM) remains affixed in back. Earlier the very same day the Giants had played the American Association Champion Brooklyn Bridegrooms in the eighth of what would be a nine games series to decide a World's Champion. It marked the first time New York clubs had squared off in the post-season and laid the groundwork for the great rivalries which would follow.

New York Daily Graphic, Monday, July 8, 1889:

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 10-21-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    NYPL says '1889?':