Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Japanese indy league drafts female knuckleballer

Quote Originally Posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
    Yeah a clean single too. Impressive!

It's really amazing that a 5ft woman can successfully compete in a position where height is quite important.
    Yes, it is. But there are some fine pitchers out there who aren't huge guys. Pedro Martinez is only 5' 10". Tim Lincecum and Bartolo Colon are 5' 11". Depending on who talk to, Billy Wagner is anywhere from 5' 8" to 5' 11" (seeing him in person vs. "official" height). I've been doing some reading on this for something I'm writing. A couple good articles.
    NYTimes article on Wagner.
    Reading this one from Hardbal Times makes me think Yoshida should eat more sandwiches and
    milkshakes

I think what impressives me most about Yoshida is that fact that she's primarily self-taught. When she somewhat famously met Tim Wakefield a couple months ago, it was apparently the first time she'd received genuine coaching on throwing the knuckler--everything else she learned from watching videos of him. That's pretty darn cool.
    Last edited by SABRSusan; 06-17-2010 at 05:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    But there are some fine pitchers out there who aren't huge guys. Pedro Martinez is only 5' 10". Tim Lincecum and Bartolo Colon are 5' 11". Depending on who talk to, Billy Wagner is anywhere from 5' 8" to 5' 11" (seeing him in person vs. "official" height).

These guys all came up throwing major heat. Their height was irrelevant. 5' isn't close to 5'10". 65mph isn't major heat even in Little League. Any of you who believe this woman is on her way to MLB are dreaming. Almost all Indy baseball players who think they are on their way to MLB are dreaming. Some are fortunate to be short term roster fillers on affilated minor league teams when injuries occur.

Yeah, I mean it's absolutely, positively impossible to survive in the big leagues if you don't throw hard.

Quote Originally Posted by SABRSusan View Post
    Yes, it is. But there are some fine pitchers out there who aren't huge guys. Pedro Martinez is only 5' 10".
    Pedro Martinez is an absolute freak of nature. And regardless of what he is listed at, he is more like 5'8" on a good day. He however has very very long fingers which most definitely contributed to his immense success.

That being said, height in general is an advantage in pitching.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
    Pedro Martinez is an absolute freak of nature. And regardless of what he is listed at, he is more like 5'8" on a good day. He however has very very long fingers which most definitely contributed to his immense success.

That being said, height in general is an advantage in pitching.
    About 80% of MLB pitchers are 6'1" or taller. Typically .... longer stride, longer arms, more velocity.

Blog Entries
    Yoshida is absolutely getting pounded in the Golden Baseball League.

7 GS, 22 IP, 0-3 W-L, 12.68 ERA, 31 ER, 4 K, 17 BB, 30 H
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Well, she's ready to join the cubs then. Hopefully, we can efford her...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123