Thread: National Pitching Association

National Pitching Association

I am interested in feedback regarding the National Pitching Association, their products' effectiveness, their certification programs (clinic and/or online), and in general if their teaching/techniques are beneficial or more importantly non-injurious to young and maturing arms. Has anyone attended their clinics or used their video and online packages?

Pitching is the one area in my coaching that I feel least comfortable with and do not coach at all, but instead rely on "pitching coaches". I made this decision after I found out years ago that what I was teaching to new players in just their standard throwing techniques was doing more harm then good (the standard ball facing away from them, the typical teaching at the time).

I had relied (and still do) on these other coaches, but after many of the discussions I read here, I think it is necessary to make sure that what is being taught to my players is indeed correct.

Any information would be appreciated . . . thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by mudvnine; 11-26-2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typo

I believe that Coach45 and RPM Pitching does the best work when it comes to teaching high-performance and non-injurious techniques. The NPA's program includes some bad things IMO such as non-specific drills such as the towel drill (pitchers do not release out front), Fast Arm / Double Spin Mechanics (Marshallites would know it as "Looping"; it creates a timing flaw), and once advocated the Flex-T position (this later led to the "hanging arms" mechanics inspired by Paul Nyman that you see in Anthony Reyes and Mark Prior).

However, their emphasis on specific conditioning and the gradual adoption of the pronated release of all pitches shows that they are learning something.

I don't claim to be a pitching expert like Chris O'Leary or Dr. Marshall, and I think it's dangerous to affix that label anyway, so take my advice for what it's worth - an amateur's.

If you are shopping, then visit pitching dot com.

I have no complaints. Bill Thurstons video is also a nice primer with some good old fashioned nuggets.

-scott
    "There are no miracles in sports. Miracles have been rehearsed hundreds of times in practice." - Scott Waz

I am a NPA member, and why I agree with some of what they say, its not what I hoped for. I too was interested in the certification clinic, not that I can afford it plus travel/expenses, but asked "how much does this improve me or my chances at a job," and "does my boss care??" Now while I disagree with Mudvnine that many drills are useless and wasteful, its like anything else. Take what you know, what they offer, and make it fit you!

Quote Originally Posted by turnin2 View Post
    I am a NPA member, and why I agree with some of what they say, its not what I hoped for. I too was interested in the certification clinic, not that I can afford it plus travel/expenses, but asked "how much does this improve me or my chances at a job," and "does my boss care??" Now while I disagree with Mudvnine that many drills are useless and wasteful, its like anything else. Take what you know, what they offer, and make it fit you!
    Whoa, there "turnin2" . . . where did I ever write that "many drills are useless and wasteful"? I was the one asking about the NPA and I have no idea of ANY of their drills, so I'm not about to go off saying they're useless and/or wasteful.

T2, why was it "not what you hoped for"? And I'm assuming you mean the NPA membership and not the clinic, or did you attend the clininc and were not happy with the results? Thanks for your input . . .

BTW, thanks kylebee and APPpitch for your advice, I am looking into all available possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by mudvnine View Post
    I am interested in feedback regarding the National Pitching Association, their products' effectiveness, their certification programs (clinic and/or online), and in general if their teaching/techniques are beneficial or more importantly non-injurious to young and maturing arms. Has anyone attended their clinics or used their video and online packages?

Pitching is the one area in my coaching that I feel least comfortable with and do not coach at all, but instead rely on "pitching coaches". I made this decision after I found out years ago that what I was teaching to new players in just their standard throwing techniques was doing more harm then good (the standard ball facing away from them, the typical teaching at the time).

I had relied (and still do) on these other coaches, but after many of the discussions I read here, I think it is necessary to make sure that what is being taught to my players is indeed correct.

Any information would be appreciated . . . thanks,
    Dave
    My sons HS baseball pitching coach is an NPA certified instructor, so we will be finding out what they teach soon. I will let you know when we start. It should be starting soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mudvnine View Post
    Whoa, there "turnin2" . . . where did I ever write that "many drills are useless and wasteful"? I was the one asking about the NPA and I have no idea of ANY of their drills, so I'm not about to go off saying they're useless and/or wasteful.

T2, why was it "not what you hoped for"? And I'm assuming you mean the NPA membership and not the clinic, or did you attend the clininc and were not happy with the results? Thanks for your input . . .

BTW, thanks kylebee and APPpitch for your advice, I am looking into all available possibilities.
    Sorry I looked at the wrong name! I got some good articles, some discounts on some good books, but other than that the membership isn't much imho. The clinic is $600, plus a flight from Texas, plus hotel, food expenses, etc...its rather costly.