Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Turner Field

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    I know its outdated and leaking, but dang it has to in some right be better than this:
    I was at that pre-season game.

You do not want to sit anywhere on the "occulus" end of the arena for hockey. The other areas of the Barclays Center actually afford quite good site lines for hockey... But seats down on the 4th avenue end of the arena? No way.

That being written, the Isles were not going to enter into any type of agreement to continue playing a Nassau Colosseum. Barclays or Izod were their only alternatives w/o leaving the market.

Cheers!
    -Doug
    20-Game "A" Plan, Prom Box 423.

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    I was at that pre-season game.

You do not want to sit anywhere on the "occulus" end of the arena for hockey. The other areas of the Barclays Center actually afford quite good site lines for hockey... But seats down on the 4th avenue end of the arena? No way.

That being written, the Isles were not going to enter into any type of agreement to continue playing a Nassau Colosseum. Barclays or Izod were their only alternatives w/o leaving the market.

Cheers!
    -Doug
    Makes sense, does anyone know if they have a good deal?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

What a waste. What a cotton pickin' waste! I went to a game at Turner in 2001 . . . fine ballpark . . . I really enjoyed it . . . too bad. I first read about this 4 days ago and am still in shock . . . did I mention "what a waste" ;-)
    Some's basturds, some's ain't, thats the score.

AJC: Documents reveal Braves wish list for Turner Field

"ANLBC Development Requirements — a list of what the Braves hoped to see happen at Turner Field.
    • Annual guarantee paid to ANLBC equal to the greater of $10,000,000 annually (increasing by annual CPI) or 25% of all annual gross revenue of the development (including, without limitation, rental, lease, parking, advertising or other revenues).
    • ANLBC to control and retain rights to sell naming rights and related advertising and sponsorship inventory for the development and to retain all revenues from such sale.
    • No signage, advertising, branding, retail or other exterior promotional exposure for any competitors of ANLBC exclusive sponsors (See Exhibit A for protected categories which may be amended from time to time by ANLBC).
    • No fast food restaurants other than one (1) coffee shop (e.g. Dunkin’ Donuts, Starbucks).
    • No third party retail may sell Braves merchandise or tickets within the development.
    • Limit to two (2) sports bars and two (2) fine dining restaurants within the development and must be on the northern part of the development a minimum of 1,600 feet from front gates of Turner Field.
    • Retail, office, hotel and residential unit specifications – See Exhibit B
    • No adult entertainment clubs, pawn shops, tattoo parlors, liquor stores, title loan shops, automotive shops or other industrial business or any establishments that may be offensive or vulgar to the community or Braves’ fans.
    • Development must include deck parking to accommodate 8,600 cars for use during all games by ANLBC.
    • Development must include additional transit options (maglev, light rail, bus, trolley, etc.) and ingress and egress improvements.
    Turner Field Operating Agreement Renewal Requirements — an outline of what the team wanted in capital improvement funds and confirmation of the team’s desire to end its relationship with the AFCRA.
    • Capital Improvements listed in Exhibit C to be made to Turner Field in 3 phases – 2016, 2017 and 2018. (Exhibit C not included)
    • ANLBC to fund $50M of improvements, AFCRA to fund $50M and City/County to fund other $50M over the 3-year period (2016 – 2018).
    • Capital Improvements going forward after 2018 to be funded 50/50 by ANLBC and AFCRA/City/County until such time as development is generating annual minimums set forth above ($10,000,000) after which time ANLBC will assume 100% of Capital Improvement funding obligation.
    • AFCRA oversight to end in 2014 (including relinquishment of Turner Field office space) and ANLBC to deal directly with City of Atlanta.
    • ANLBC to assume management and oversight of all parking agreements and special events at Turner Field including GSU and County parking agreements.
    • ANLBC and AFCRA/City/County will amend and restate current Operating Agreement and extend term for an additional 20 years.

EXHIBIT B – RETAIL, OFFICE, HOTEL AND RESIDENTIAL SPECS
    Phase One
    • 250 Apartment Homes
    • 175 Hotel Rooms
    • 25 Condo and Townhome Units
    • 10,000 feet of retail square footage
    • 50,000 feet of restaurant/entertainment square footage
    Phase Two
    • 250 Apartment Homes
    • 200 Hotel Rooms
    • 25 Condo and Townhome Units
    • 10,000 feet of retail square footage
    • 75,000 Office space square footage
    • 50,000 feet of restaurant/entertainment square footage
    "

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerODell View Post
    What a waste. What a cotton pickin' waste! I went to a game at Turner in 2001 . . . fine ballpark . . . I really enjoyed it . . . too bad. I first read about this 4 days ago and am still in shock . . . did I mention "what a waste" ;-)
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/turner-field-atlanta

Not that Yelp is the end-all be-all of things, but reviews of Turner Field by fans were overwhelmingly positive, with most reviewers commenting on how modern and attractive the park was. Very few complained about the surrounding neighborhood. The only major repeated complaint was that a lack of a MARTA station on-site (although the Braves apparently do have shuttle service to a nearby station). It should be noted that the proposed new park is nowhere near any MARTA station, so its not as if the Braves are addressing that issue.

There's a clear disconnect between what the fans want and need, and what Braves ownership want and need.
    Marlins' magical, mystical backstop fish! Now starting on the DL for the Toronto Blue Jays!

When I went I didn't even go near the "sorrounding neighborhood because I took marta from the underground walked on the other side of the stadium with most people and then caught the bus on the way back with majority of peple. The stadium was great, it was the first one I saw other than Tampa and Dolphin Stadium so it was really nice in comparion. So like most people I still don't get why it "has to go"
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

yet another fleecing of taxpayers, serves as a reality check that mallpark giveaways will only encourage the ioc and
    bui league sports franchise businesses to rape local taxpayers thru their politician "johns". cobb co. taxpayers beware.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Someone was asking earlier if they could use turner for MLS soccer, but if you check the new falcons stadium website they have a set up for MLS like they use in BC.

http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com/#toggleThumbs

This ballpark is not even 20 years old. Isn't it too soon for a new stadium?

Someone was asking earlier if they could use turner for MLS soccer, but if you check the new falcons stadium website they have a set up for MLS like they use in BC.

http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com/#toggleThumbs
    Yep. One of the reasons that Arthur Blank wanted an open-air / grass-field stadium was for professional and international soccer.

He wants Atlanta to have a World Cup ready venue should America ever get the tournament again.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCropp View Post
    Yep. One of the reasons that Arthur Blank wanted an open-air / grass-field stadium was for professional and international soccer.

He wants Atlanta to have a World Cup ready venue should America ever get the tournament again.
    They couldn't have played it at the Georgia Dome like they did in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by gmtobehere View Post
    I was at one of those games in 1994. It was sweltering inside the Silverdome. I don't know if it had to do with conditions needed for the special grass or not, but it did feel like a Greenhouse while watching the game.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by gmtobehere View Post
    I'm not sure if the Georgia Dome meets FIFA criteria.

The new stadium would be a jewel in America's bid for the World Cup.

I think they are a strong bid for an MLS team, and its better than playing at turner like tampa rowdies do with Al Lang.

John Rocker weighs in on the area around Turner Field as only John Rocker can:

“The crime and violence that has plagued the community since the 1970s – when the city wooed the Braves franchise from Milwaukee and built Atlanta Fulton County Stadium – wasn't just going to pack up and leave simply because a baseball stadium popped up, and the good residents of metro Atlanta weren't about to risk their lives by moving there, either.

When the Braves open up the new stadium in Cobb County for the 2017 season, you can bet big money that not one area business will require a 'heavy metal screen' at the counter.”

Neal Boortz agrees:

"You blew it! Around Turner Field now we have stores with burglar bars on the doors and windows. We have clerks who work behind steel cages."

As someone who has been to a number of ballparks and enjoys spending time in the neighborhoods around them, I can't say I disagree with either of them. I've walked from LaGuardia Airport to Shea Stadium and walked up the road for a slice before watching a Yankees game, but I have never ventured outside of the ballpark / parking lot area at Turner Field. It's a shame because there so many wonderful neighborhoods in Atlanta. Unfortunately, Turner Field is not one of them.
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 11-22-2013 at 06:06 AM.

I agree with the points that people are making that the area around Turner isn't good, but I feel like they are fixing a problem with a problem. You can't force people to go to the suburbs anymore than you can force families to go to a downtown park. But historically we are seeing more success with downtown park attendances compared to Suburban Ballparks. I'm also shocked that they think they can build fun things to do before and after games out of nowhere and they will be a success but they could not do that around Turner.

I agree with the points that people are making that the area around Turner isn't good, but I feel like they are fixing a problem with a problem. You can't force people to go to the suburbs anymore than you can force families to go to a downtown park. But historically we are seeing more success with downtown park attendances compared to Suburban Ballparks. I'm also shocked that they think they can build fun things to do before and after games out of nowhere and they will be a success but they could not do that around Turner.
    I think that the bottom line is that Cobb County is willing to do what Atlanta isn't.

The area around the new ballpark site is already bustling with shopping, restaurant, and entertainment options and so this is just growth from that. Atlanta would have had to start fresh in an attempt to build around Turner Field. And, while it is near downtown, Turner Field is separated from downtown not only by a wide highway, but the closest part of downtown is a government-center dead zone. There is nothing happening between Turner Field and the CNN Center / Georgia Dome / Georgia World Congress Center.

If it was up to me, I would have tried to move the Braves over to the Georgia Dome area which is built for large events with things to do before and after with parking and mass-transit to get in and out. Of course, that would have meant the city building a new $650m ballpark and tearing down a twenty year old one which would be even harder to justify than developing the areas around Turner Field.
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 11-22-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Good points! I wonder if Atlanta was even considering a new stadium maybe like buckhead or replacing the Georgia dome spot?

Some beautiful (if very atypical) images of The Ted on the Twitter page of Hill Scott, the Braves marketing director.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"It is not easy to be near your best every single day. Some would even say itís impossible. Weíre all just human beings. But itís not impossible. Henry Aaron did it." - Joe Posnanski

I need advice from Turner Field regulars. I'm taking an RV trip over the first week of the regular season, first stop is Opening Day at US Cellular, followed by a week of driving to FLA, and a weekend of baseball in Miami and Tampa. The final stop on the way back to Minneapolis is Turner Field for the home opener. What I need to know is where can I leave an RV around TF? There is an RV/Bus lot but tickets don't seem to be available online. What I'm hoping to find is a bar in suburban Atl that has ample parking and a shuttle that delivers folks to and from the game. Any other ideas would be welcome too.

Thanks in advance to anybody who replies, I'm pretty excited to get a firsthand view of this ballpark, if only to figure out why such a young stadium is being deemed obsolete.

I'm not sure if the Georgia Dome meets FIFA criteria.

The new stadium would be a jewel in America's bid for the World Cup.
    Hate to burst your bubble, but without a hugely popular MLS team, Atlanta would just be one of many US sites competing for the World Cup games.

Last time around 18 cities made the final cut: Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York City, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa and Washington, D.C.

That's a pretty formidable list, with 10 current MLS cities on it, most of whom have large stadiums that would meet FIFA standards - LA is the one without a new stadium, but there's no chance that LA wouldn't host several WC games, even if it was at the Rose Bowl. Plus Miami is going to be in the MLS by then too.

So a large stadium with fancy bells and whistles isn't going to be the only consideration.
    Last edited by schnu; 03-20-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schnu View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble, but without a hugely popular MLS team, Atlanta would just be one of many US sites competing for the World Cup games.

Last time around 18 cities made the final cut: Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York City, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa and Washington, D.C.

That's a pretty formidable list, with 10 current MLS cities on it, most of whom have large stadiums that would meet FIFA standards - LA is the one without a new stadium, but there's no chance that LA wouldn't host several WC games, even if it was at the Rose Bowl. Plus Miami is going to be in the MLS by then too.

So a large stadium with fancy bells and whistles isn't going to be the only consideration.
    Done!

MLS Coming to Atlanta - AJC

Last night, the Mets beat the Braves 4-0 in front of 47,000+ Atlanta sports fans.

Before the game, Hank Aaron was honored on the 40th Anniversary of his 715th career home run. Bud Selig was there and dignitaries from local sports teams presented Hank with #44 jersey's from their teams. Vince Dooley of UGA got the biggest cheer, it should be noted.

Here are some photos from the game:

HankZoom.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

MetsInsta.jpg

Victory.jpg

Gate.jpg
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 04-09-2014 at 06:08 AM.

10175056_10153967525270333_3678528315332935551_n.jpg

Man...The braves can't catch a break. Courtesy of Sports Illustrated and #Braves

^ When did that happen?
    "If he's a good fastball hitter...should I throw him a bad fastball?"
    - Deep Thoughts by Larry Andersen

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast