Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Turner Field

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrince View Post
    Attachment 137739

Man...The braves can't catch a break. Courtesy of Sports Illustrated and #Braves
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    ^ When did that happen?
    Tuesday....

Well maybe they need one flag incident per stadium...

flag.jpeg
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

2004 NLDS Gm5: Beltran homers twice in clincher
    10/11/04: Astros center fielder Carlos Beltran homers twice off of Jaret Wright as the Astros clinch the NLDS

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Georgia State University wants to buy Turner Field and convert it into a 30,000 seat football stadium.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/colle...to-foot/nfq8R/

Georgia State is proposing repurposing Turner Field into a 30,000-seat football stadium and building another baseball stadium that will include Hank Aaron’s wall as part of the structure.

University President Dr. Mark Becker and Atlanta real estate development firm Carter provided the Atlanta Journal-Constitution an exclusive look at the proposal on Wednesday. The idea is more than just a stadium. They want to build a $300 million development that will include retail, residential and student housing and will be paid for through a mix of public and private funds.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthGeorgiaBrave View Post
    Georgia State University wants to buy Turner Field and convert it into a 30,000 seat football stadium.

Actually that's not a half bad idea...now what will it cost?

Here's the image of how the new development would look:

WSB: GSU outlines proposal to purchase Turner Field

I read about this last night, I really like it!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

While I'm not totally "up" on the ins and outs of Atlanta sports/politics/geographic issues, my outsiders opinion of this move is negative. But, the move is happening and here is a perfectly good stadium in need. This option that Georgia State is presenting seems really good to me. Turner Field can live on as a football stadium for their fledgling program (positive). It also appears that the Fulton County Field would be the new baseball stadium which is excellent since it would preserve a tract of land with some history (first MLB team in the south, home to some great Braves teams, and of course Aaron's record breaker).

What are the negatives?

This reminds me of what BU did with the old Braves field in Boston, a nice way to pay homage to everything!

Turning the Turner Field complex into Georgia State's South Campus would be awesome for that area. If there's a business booming in Georgia, it's higher education and to put thousands of young people with disposable income in what is basically a dying part of the city would be a huge lift to all involved.

Having a stadium of their own without having to build it would be a major boost to the growing Georgia State football program. I'd imagine that the plans above will excite many alumni / donors.
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 05-08-2014 at 10:01 AM.

So it looks like area #1's baseball field is on the same spot, with the field oriented the same way, as Fulton County Stadium, amirite?

Will they save the outer wall that's there now?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

I would like that:

parking-lot.jpg

4_14_hank-aarons-715th1.jpg

I Hope they leave up the Hank Aaron part!

I think MLB should look in to Cobbs County

Its the county that flat out said no to MARTA because they feared blacks might move in.

Its as racist as they come.

How far is Turner Field from Georgia Southern's campus?

Quote Originally Posted by gmtobehere View Post
    How far is Turner Field from Georgia Southern's campus?
    Georgia State's campus is a mile north of Turner Field.

(Georgia Southern is 200+ miles away in Statesboro).
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 05-08-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Does anyone know if GSU will re-use any other parts of Turner Field, like the jumbotron?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Does anyone know if GSU will re-use any other parts of Turner Field, like the jumbotron?
    It doesn't look like it's in the plans.

Make 'em an offer.

So it looks like area #1's baseball field is on the same spot, with the field oriented the same way, as Fulton County Stadium, amirite?

Will they save the outer wall that's there now?
    At least the Hank Aaron part of it. From the AJC story:

Georgia State is proposing repurposing Turner Field into a 30,000-seat football stadium and building another baseball stadium that will include Hank Aaron’s wall as part of the structure.

I hated to hear this at first. The relocation and demise of this ballpark. This new plan makes it digestible. Good for the folks who thunk this up.
    Last edited by DiggerODell; 05-09-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    Some's basturds, some's ain't, thats the score.

ThrowAwayTed.jpg

Found this on google

Video board goes crazy
    5/19/14: The main video screen at Turner Field malfunctions, causing an interruption during Jean Segura's at-bat

http://m.mlb.com/video/v32997867/mil...s-during-game/
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

For those looking to visit the Ted on a budget in it's last 2+ seasons...

Chop For Cheap, courtesy of Flagpole Magazine.

(Ed.: Don't actually chop, of course. It's racist and outmoded and just generally pretty dumb.)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112