Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Turner Field

Deleted.....
    Last edited by gmtobehere; 07-01-2016 at 10:04 PM.

It doesn't look like it was as bad an Olympic Stadium as people say. It looked like a weird setup (and it was), but the only really bad seats were in the lower level in between the current baseball dugouts. The seating down the current first base line was oriented more toward the opposite straightaway, used for the sprints. That would have been preferable a lot of the time.

What were the moats around the Olympic field used for? You can see them right at the base of the stands.

Matt, I don't know what you're looking at, but there were no moats inside or outside the stadium (other than during classic ATL thunderstorms). In the opening ceremony image, the grass between the track and the stands is colored purple, but that was a lighting effect. You may also be seeing foam crowd control "barriers" that were roughly 2 feet high and 20 feet long and covered with the '96 theme color of sea green. Whatever, no moats.

Quote Originally Posted by swatman View Post
    Matt, I don't know what you're looking at, but there were no moats inside or outside the stadium (other than during classic ATL thunderstorms). In the opening ceremony image, the grass between the track and the stands is colored purple, but that was a lighting effect. You may also be seeing foam crowd control "barriers" that were roughly 2 feet high and 20 feet long and covered with the '96 theme color of sea green. Whatever, no moats.
    Take a look at where the seats meet the field on the right, left, and bottom right of this photo. There does indeed appear to be some sort of moat between the seats and the field. I wonder if they are long photographer pits or something to that effect.

That's a possibility. All I know is there was no water there, and you can see that on the bottom right. I was there several times.

Quote Originally Posted by swatman View Post
    That's a possibility. All I know is there was no water there, and you can see that on the bottom right. I was there several times.
    moat noun
    1. a deep, wide trench, usually filled with water, surrounding the rampart of a fortified place, as a town or a castle.
    2. any similar trench, as one used for confining animals in a zoo.

I think that those "moats" served more of a utility purpose, but I don't recall seeing long trenches like that in other olympic stadiums nor is there any trace of them at the current Turner Field.

Sounds like a job for the Baseball Fever detectives!
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 07-06-2016 at 04:09 AM.

I defer to the experts.

Would the "moats" have been for photographers and TV cameras? I was watching some of Wimbledon earlier today. They have something like that, and there are several photographers in them along with a TV camera. This is my guess as to their purpose.

I'm thinking that there is a decent possibility that what we are looking at is unfinished construction. Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Stadium hosted an IAAF Grand Prix Event in May of 1996. That is two months before the Olympics. If you look at these photo's from Getty Images it would appear that the picture on this post card is from that event. The weather and attendance of the day seem to agree with the image on the postcard. I also found this article where a bunch of people were less than impressed with the configuration among other things. The quotes may be cherry picked among other criticisms which would suggest that maybe construction wasn't complete. This would fall in line with most Olympics where cities are building stuff up until the last second. Atlanta also hosted the Paralympics at the end of the summer. However the photo from the postcard which is clearly an opening/closing ceremony type event suggests it isn't from either Olympic Games event. Both Olympics ceremonies were at night. So this is clearly the Grand Prix event. Whether it is unfinished construction is hard to say. None of the photos from the Olympics have enough clarity to decipher their use once the Games began.

LA Times Article
    http://articles.latimes.com/1996-05-...lympic-stadium

Link to more images
    http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/ia...torial#license

Atlanta Centennial Stadium.jpg

It's not unfinished construction. Check out the picture that's on page two of this thread.
    TedMap.jpg
    You can see the wells that surround the field are in the diagram and you can see the stair access for them.
    If you google "atlanta olympic track" and look at some of the images there, you will see people in these wells.

Had to be for photographers and the like so that they didn't block the events on the track.

The Grand Prix event had me confused. I assumed that was Olympic events and the moats were barren. I'm sure they were used a plenty with the Olympics.

You can see people in the moat during the ceremony. You also don't see any loose photographers on the field. So I guess they were confined to the moats.

1996 Turner.jpg

There's apparently an updated Turner Field conversion plan for Georgia State football:

Recreation board gives final OK to Turner Field sale

With community input, Georgia State has produced sketches that show Turner Field replacing its entire right field seating with a lean grandstand aligning alongside the gridiron of its college football field. The remaining bulk of Turner Field could become a mixed-use project of its own, with classroom space and more.
    Photos

2016-08-12 13_10_30-PHOTOS_ Turner Field plans _ 11alive.com.jpg
    Last edited by hofflalu; 08-12-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Did they have a temporary press box for the olympics or did they stick the media away from the action behind where home plate would be

Looks like those teal colored sections in the mezzanine section along the 3B side were setup as press areas. Remember that there was a significant number of press folks there - so much that they sat outside.

Roger. It looks like Rio stadium has the same setup.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415