Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American baseball players, thanks alot for your support of international baseball....

Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST View Post
    If I was them I wouldn't play either. Why should I jeopardize my career and lively hood playing in a series of exhibition games?? And, counting spring training, I am already devoting 7+ months to active participation in the game.
    And undoubtedly being paid very handsomely!! Wish I had a job that allowed me to work for just 7 or so months of the year and get as much money!! And also have the opportunity to represent my country!!

As to when to hold it, it seems opinion is divided as to the merits of pre MLB season (has an effect on Spring Training, players are not ready for the rigors of a tournament etc), post MLB season (players are too tired from the long season and need a break), or Mid season (MLB will have to shorten the season or have more double headers, etc). Why not can the All Star break every 3 years and hold the WBC during that period? A few double headers could make up some lost time, but the break generally reserved for the All Star circus would provide extra game time for WBC without as much encroachment on the MLB season. And each 3 years the players would get the opportunity to play for their country in a meaningful competition rather than a 'pick-up' game where the teams are selected by the fans.
    Last edited by DownUnderDodger; 01-22-2009 at 08:48 PM.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Blog Entries
    As an American, I am disappointed some of the better American players who aren't injured and aren't concerned about making a team, refuse to play for the American team. All the Dominican players save Manny and those who are injured are playing for the DR as are the Puerto Ricans.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    As an American, I am disappointed some of the better American players who aren't injured and aren't concerned about making a team, refuse to play for the American team. All the Dominican players save Manny and those who are injured are playing for the DR as are the Puerto Ricans.

Well as baseball players so of those Americans that you are disappointed in wouldn't have developed a desire for international competition anyway. After all, up until the 2006 WBC to play for the American national baseball team was really a step down from the major leagues and more of a recreational activity than serious business (for major leaguers). And unless these players also followed soccer or to a lesser extent basketball or maybe hockey then international play wouldn't really be a set feature in the sports they follow. It certainly isn't in American Football or NASCAR (the other two popular sports in the US). Out of the 6 most popular sports in the USA, only one (soccer) is really geared towards international play while in the rest most of the focus is on domestic play with some international competition playing second fiddle or with there being no international competition worthy of such a description. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans would generally have a different attitude to international play for varying reasons. For Puerto Ricans it may be about identity (as exemplified in Puerto Rico's competition internationally in sports and beauty contests - about the only venues where Puerto Rico gets differentiated from the US). For Dominicans it may be a desire by immigrants to identify with their country of origin. Plus in the DR the major sports would be baseball, followed by soccer and basketball so international play would be more common and expected. I don't see anything wrong with the attitude of the (non-Puerto Rican) Americans v. the attitude of the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. The attitudes are just different due to circumstance. It would take more than just a couple editions of the WBC to get the overwhelming majority of American baseball players to take international play more seriously - perhaps by the fourth or fifth edition. The only other way I could think of would be for the MLB to promote the WBC as the pinnacle of baseball by ensuring the players would be paid far more than they would by playing for just their clubs and by elevating the WBC trophy as the height of success in baseball (above even the World Series)...and doing so repeatedly and publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
    And undoubtedly being paid very handsomely!! Wish I had a job that allowed me to work for just 7 or so months of the year and get as much money!! And also have the opportunity to represent my country!!

As to when to hold it, it seems opinion is divided as to the merits of pre MLB season (has an effect on Spring Training, players are not ready for the rigors of a tournament etc), post MLB season (players are too tired from the long season and need a break), or Mid season (MLB will have to shorten the season or have more double headers, etc). Why not can the All Star break every 3 years and hold the WBC during that period? A few double headers could make up some lost time, but the break generally reserved for the All Star circus would provide extra game time for WBC without as much encroachment on the MLB season. And each 3 years the players would get the opportunity to play for their country in a meaningful competition rather than a 'pick-up' game where the teams are selected by the fans.
    Considering that this WBC will be 3 years after the first one, this seems like a very good idea. The fact that the All-Star Break is also known as the "Midsummer Classic" also has a nice irony to it (simply transfer the "Midsummer Classic" epithet to the WBC and it will still ring true). Heck even having the same selection system might increase the popularity of the WBC and encourage more American baseball players to take it seriously (the fans picked you, so go play). But isn't the All-Star Break just a few days? This year's WBC is set to last 19 days (and the 2006 one lasted 18 days). With more teams in the future it would theoretically last longer. If the All-Star Break was used as the basis for the WBC then the MLB would probably need to schedule a break day before the Midsummer WBC and a break day afterwards for a total break of 21 days instead of the 3 days now used for the All-Star Break. I like the idea, but how many double headers would have be scheduled to get in the extra 18 days or more if the WBC is expanded?...unless the WBC proper is kept at 16 teams with the additional 8 teams playing in qualifying rounds outside the USA during the first half of the MLB season leading up to a July WBC.

well right now the world series is more popular but that is because it receives as of right now more coverage and it is a american dominated sports. Sports coverage for baseball is mainly american, MLB.com, MLB network, Sunday night baseball. Much of latin american baseball is done by ESPN deportes. Japanese baseball relies on american TV coverage. This does not mean that baseball cannot become more international as the audience grows which i think will grow in 10 years and even begin to be accepted by Europe.

now will the WBC be the highest honor of baseball? I dont think it it can because of coverage and players willing to play. For the world cup you cant pull some players off the team, even beckham will rather play for england instead of focusing on mainly money. so for established soccer star maybe winning a world cup is more accepting then club trophies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12