Thread: Japanese Hall of Fame 2009 inductees

Blog Entries

Japanese Hall of Fame 2009 inductees

2 executives and Tsutomu Wakamatsu and Noburu Aota have been elected this year to the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame

For more on Aota, see this . I have Aota as #71 in a ranking done a few years ago now. For his career stats, you can scroll to his name on this page

For more on Wakamatsu, here's where I ranked him #35 all-time in Japan, here's what I said about him in naming him to the Swallows' all-time team You can find Wakamatsu's career data by scrolling to his name at this page

Amazingly, they didn't vote in Hiromitsu Ochiai, which I'd guess has something to do with the tradition of not electing guys who are managing. Gary Garland's comment at japanbaseballdaily is telling:
    Three Time Triple Crown Winner and 2007 Japan Champion Manager
    Hiromitsu Ochiai Falls One Vote Short (Obviously, Idiot Baseball Writers
    Exist on Both Sides of the Pacific)
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

To Jalbright on Japanese Stars

Is the Japanese Baseball Hall Of Fame patterned after Cooperstown as far as voting requirements etc?
    Also I have a book that profiles several Japanese players and a set of Japanese baseball cards. Both were published about 1975. I'd be interested to find out if these players made the Japan HOF and what their final statistical totals are. Is there any source (a book or website) where I could look up all-time Japanese stat leaders (ie: all players with 2,500 hits, 300 home runs, 400 stolen bases, most games played, and all-time leaders among Jaoan Lg. pitchers in wins, saves and strikeouts) , plus and a list of players, managers etc. in the Japanese Hall Of Fame?

-philliesfiend55-

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Also I have a book that profiles several Japanese players and a set of Japanese baseball cards. Both were published about 1975. I'd be interested to find out if these players made the Japan HOF and what their final statistical totals are. Is there any source (a book or website) where I could look up all-time Japanese stat leaders (ie: all players with 2,500 hits, 300 home runs, 400 stolen bases, most games played, and all-time leaders among Jaoan Lg. pitchers in wins, saves and strikeouts) , plus and a list of players, managers etc. in the Japanese Hall Of Fame?

-philliesfiend55-
    http://www.japanbaseballdaily.com/careerleaders.html

http://www.japanbaseballdaily.com/careerpitching.html
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    plus and a list of players, managers etc. in the Japanese Hall Of Fame?

-philliesfiend55-
    Here's a list of JBHOF members:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...l_Hall_of_Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
    Hey,I bet you posted to japanesebaseball.com
    I'm Jeff James over there
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge